Community Forum

EAS opt out

New Poster

EAS opt out

I've seen old discussions, but it's 2018 and we are still getting our TV service hijcaked by the emergency warnings.  Last night it was a tornado wanring, but I couldn't get any more info because I wasnt' allowed to change the TV channel for 2 minutes while I waited for the inaudible voice to tell me there were warnings in my county of over 600 sqaure miles and the neighboring 6 counties.  It's 2018, can't this just be a pop up in the corner or just direct us to a channel and then we have the right to change channels to what we want to watch?

If this had been a real emergency I might have died waiting to find out if it was a real emergency...  Uggg....

Expert

Re: EAS opt out

@medea1993 wrote:

I've seen old discussions, but it's 2018 and we are still getting our TV service hijcaked by the emergency warnings.  Last night it was a tornado wanring, but I couldn't get any more info because I wasnt' allowed to change the TV channel for 2 minutes while I waited for the inaudible voice to tell me there were warnings in my county of over 600 sqaure miles and the neighboring 6 counties.  It's 2018, can't this just be a pop up in the corner or just direct us to a channel and then we have the right to change channels to what we want to watch?

If this had been a real emergency I might have died waiting to find out if it was a real emergency...  Uggg....

Sorry, you can't opt out of EAS and Comcast has no control over when or how it is broadcast.

I am not a Comcast employee.
I am a customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Which I don't buy... Our local stations broadcast the message, but they did so with a crawl at the top or bottom of the screen. Their televisions weren't locked up so they couldn't view anything else.

Comcast needs to fix this issue and not hide behind FCC excuses. For crying out loud, I can tell my remote what actor I want to watch and it takes the TV to that channel. But the ONLY way to tell us there is a tornado warning in my county is by locking my TV for 1-3 minutes???

Just fix it.
Expert

@medea1993 wrote:
Which I don't buy... Our local stations broadcast the message, but they did so with a crawl at the top or bottom of the screen. Their televisions weren't locked up so they couldn't view anything else.

Comcast needs to fix this issue and not hide behind FCC excuses. For crying out loud, I can tell my remote what actor I want to watch and it takes the TV to that channel. But the ONLY way to tell us there is a tornado warning in my county is by locking my TV for 1-3 minutes???

Just fix it.

Once again, Comcast has no control over it.  They don't set how EAS is broadcast.  That is set by the network.  I totally understand what you're saying and how you're feeling, but cable companies are not involved in this in this decision; their only requirement is that they have to broadcast the EAS in accordance with the FCC requirement.

Emergency Alert System

I am not a Comcast employee.
I am a customer volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!