Does xfinity broadcast 1080p

Regular Visitor

Does xfinity broadcast 1080p

Do you broadcast in 1080p

Expert

Re: Does xfinity broadcast 1080p

@ehearn wrote:

Comcast doesn't broadcast at all (meaning over the air). Comcast's cable only (non-local broadcast must carry channels) are now in 720p60 in mpeg4 format. the local channels are carried in their native broadcast format (720p or 1080i) in mpeg2 format. In USA there is no broadcast of 1080p. the reason Comcast moved to 720p60 is that no native TVs are now using interlace format (CRTs) and all streaming must be done in progressive to smart devices and to the streaming website. 

Regular Visitor

Well that makes as much sense as a picture of a whale and a dolphin getting it on. Stupid to have the ability of modern tech and not use it
Highlighted
Problem Solver

@ehearn wrote:
Well that makes as much sense as a picture of a whale and a dolphin getting it on. Stupid to have the ability of modern tech and not use it

You just got your first reply from someone I am not sure yet even has a television above an old 720p model.

That said; there is still no 1080p signals being broadcast (signals being transmitted over the air) for television in the USA. Analog broadcast for old CRT televisions is all but gone. Cable companies are no longer required to pass along analog channels. As you might remember, the first HD broadcasts for 720p or 1080i (wide-screen) 16:9 came from PBS with monetary help from the federal government and from the public members like us.

Cable companies were about 3 or 4 years behind that time around. Satellite companies did not exist yet.

With almost no help from the current politicians for public television, and all companies involved in television afraid to spend capital expense needed to get into UHD television because of the ever changing economic situation. We have most likely been set back a few more years.

You need to purchase a smart UHD television with built-in apps, a source for high-speed Internet, and go directly to "You Tube", "Netfix", "Amazon Prime", etc., to watch 4K programing over the Internet. And of course there are many other apps besides these that supply 1080p (Blu-ray quality) along with 1440p, and 2160p. "You Tube" also supplies 4320p (known as 8K).

Only other choice is to move to some countries in Europe, Asia, S,. Korea, or Japan, for 1080p and higher broad-casts or cable.

Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

@ehearn wrote:

Comcast doesn't broadcast at all (meaning over the air). Comcast's cable only (non-local broadcast must carry channels) are now in 720p60 in mpeg4 format. the local channels are carried in their native broadcast format (720p or 1080i) in mpeg2 format. In USA there is no broadcast of 1080p. the reason Comcast moved to 720p60 is that no native TVs are now using interlace format (CRTs) and all streaming must be done in progressive to smart devices and to the streaming website. 

Comcast is starting to convert local channels to 720p MPEG4. That is already happening here in Chicago. There is a thread about that here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Channels-and-Programming/Local-broadcast-channels-now-720p-MPEG4/m-p/3...

Also, going to 720P is a resolution drop from 1920x1080 to 1280x720. Comcast is doing this because it requires less data and can be compressed more. Interlaced vs non-interlaced is not an issue as all TV's convert to their native format. This means that a native 1080i channel (broadcast or cable) could go 1080i (native) to 720p (Comcast) to 1080i (cable box) to 2160p (TV). Every conversion could introduce issues.

Regular Visitor

So a 4K TV is only useful if you get a 4K movie and 4K Blu-ray player. Unless you want to pay for different sources such as streaming which cost you data overages if you watch a lot of it. No good answer to this is there
Problem Solver

I guess that would be true for you with Comcast.

I have highspeed Internet with DLS and unlimited data. 80% of our television usage is through "You Tube" for 1080p or 4K programing. We also use "Red Bull" app, and NBC app which are 1080p and free. We just have Comcast for HD cable and ON Demand. We purchased our Samsung 65 inch curved 3D UHD back in January 2016 and have been watching 4K, 3D movies, and 720P, 1080P, AND 4K programing, converted to 3D for many shows.