Community Forum

Do an analog cable box trasmit quality HD programming?

New Poster

Do an analog cable box trasmit quality HD programming?

For a year, I only used Xfinity high speed Internet because that is all that I need, but when the year was over I had to renew the contract, and for a small increase I kept the same internet speed plus the basic TV channels. An analog cable box was part of the new contract with no additional charge. I used to watch TV channels using an over-the-air antenna ($20), and the programs looked great on my 4k Sony TV, even HD programming.  With the new cable box, the programs looked poorly on the TV (low resolution), even with the HD channels. When I called Xfinity, they said that I had to activate (and pay additionally) an HD option, which I did. However, the programs looked the same, most of them with the black strips on the top and the bottom of the screen. The Xfinity representative said that the same analog cable box that I had supported HD channels and that a digital box w/ an HDMI connection was not necessary. The cable box I have is connected to the coax plug in the TV.

So, my questions are:

1) how come the TV channels coming from the cable box are not as clear as the ones coming from a cheap over-the-air antenna? I changed the TV setting, but there is no one specific for the resolution coming from a coax connection.

2) Can somebody confirm that an analog cable box can really support HD broadcast obviously connected to the TV coax connector? Do I need a digital cable box to actually receive quality HD programming?

Thanks. Yaco

Official Employee

Re: Do an analog cable box trasmit quality HD programming?

YacoCars wrote:

For a year, I only used Xfinity high speed Internet because that is all that I need, but when the year was over I had to renew the contract, and for a small increase I kept the same internet speed plus the basic TV channels. An analog cable box was part of the new contract with no additional charge. I used to watch TV channels using an over-the-air antenna ($20), and the programs looked great on my 4k Sony TV, even HD programming.  With the new cable box, the programs looked poorly on the TV (low resolution), even with the HD channels. When I called Xfinity, they said that I had to activate (and pay additionally) an HD option, which I did. However, the programs looked the same, most of them with the black strips on the top and the bottom of the screen. The Xfinity representative said that the same analog cable box that I had supported HD channels and that a digital box w/ an HDMI connection was not necessary. The cable box I have is connected to the coax plug in the TV.

So, my questions are:

1) how come the TV channels coming from the cable box are not as clear as the ones coming from a cheap over-the-air antenna? I changed the TV setting, but there is no one specific for the resolution coming from a coax connection.

2) Can somebody confirm that an analog cable box can really support HD broadcast obviously connected to the TV coax connector? Do I need a digital cable box to actually receive quality HD programming?

Thanks. Yaco

You need a cable box that either has HDMI or component cablered, blue, green) out. Coax out doesn't transmit HD quality.

Expert

Re: Do an analog cable box trasmit quality HD programming?

You really wasted your money on the Sony 4K tv so far. You can't even watch 720p programing with your current cable-box. You can watch 1080i (full hd), using your antenna, from local channels like: CBS, NBC, PBS, and CW in most metro areas, and it is free. Getting a HD cable-box and using a HDMI cable will mainly only get you 720p HD video.

However; if your Sony 4K tv is a "smart" television just down-load the "You Tube" app from the apps in it's memory. Click on the heading for 4K and you can watch programing in ultra high definition (4K) and full HD (1080p) to see what the new UHD televisions can deliver for a picture. You Tube is free for viewing