Community Forum

Disney + app

Frequent Visitor

Disney + app

Any plans to add disney plus streaming as an app on X1 dvr ?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Disney + app

Nothing has been announced nor any information released. Their direct competitors, nobody knows ahead of time until a deal is done

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

My guess is no since you don't  have a hulu app.  Comcast doesn't want to help Disney/ABC out.  

Diamond Problem Solver

It’s not often you’ll see direct competitors “help each other out”.

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

I’m sure it will show up when Disney and Comcast renegotiate carriage again (next year). Hulu (now majority owned by Disney) is already going to be installed on X1 soon.
New Poster

Disney Plus App

Will the Disney Plus App be added to X1 when the streaming service launches on November 12?  Thank you.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Disney Plus App

Nothing has been announced. But doubt it would be added upon release. It’s hard to say if it ever will as the 2 companies are more rivals than business partners. But you never know...

Contributor

Disney Plus

We are a few weeks from the start of the Disney Plus streaming service. Verizon has just offered customers a free year of that service. First, Xfinity should add the service app like Prime and Netflix. We should not wait until next year. XFINITY is dropping Starz and adding one Epix channel. I would think adding Disney Plus would create an increase in subscribers.
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Disney Plus

Disney is a direct competitor/rival. I doubt you’ll ever see it on Comcast equipment. Verizon and Disney aren’t competitors at all.

Contributor

Thanks for your quick response but aren’t most streaming services rival one another, Netflix, Amazon, Xfinity etc.
Diamond Problem Solver

Disney itself is more than just a streaming service, just like Comcast is. I’m not saying it’ll never happen but after the competition for the Fox acquisition, I doubt Comcast wants to help Disney’s revenue stream.

Contributor

I get it. Too bad. It would be nice to see.
Frequent Visitor

I don’t see why Comcast wouldn’t add Disney+ to X1. Being direct competitors has nothing to do with it really since Comcast has the Amazon app and Netflix app on X1 and those are also direct competitors, at least as far as streaming goes (Comcast will have its own streaming service soon for anyone that doesn’t know). Also Comcast still owns part of Hulu along with Disney until Disney becomes sole owner in a few years.
Frequent Visitor

Also if Disney being a direct competitor was an issue for Comcast, why do they carry any Disney cable channels like Freeform, Lifetime, History Channel, A&E, Vice, etc., besides carrying ABC, owned by Disney?
Frequent Visitor

Oh and ESPN....Disney owns the majority of that also.
Frequent Visitor

Also to the original poster, I plan on getting Chromecast to watch Disney+ on my TV. You can get either that, Roku, or there are other ways to watch it on your TV until Comcast adds the app to X1.
Contributor

Netflix is on Comcast equipment.

Amazon Prime Video is on Comcast equipment.

YouTube is on Comcast equipment.

Will only be a matter of time for Disney Plus. It’s essential to both Disney and Comcast that this happens. Online streaming is replacing cable and Comcast will do anything they can to keep their internet customers happy. The goal is to keep customers on Comcast equipment for everything. Look into Xfinity Flex. This is their response to Roku, Amazon Fire stick, etc.

Cable is dead.
New Poster

Disney Plus on Xfinity

A while back when Disney announced Disney Plus and the preorder of their streaming service, I had yst another caause to be on the phone with Xfinity addressing yet another service related issue. These are at least monthly issue that I have to spend my time resolving.

While getting bounced around to three (3) different departments adn people, I asked EACH Xfinity agent I spoke with if the Disney Plus service would be avaialble through the On Demand portal as Netflix, Prime, YouTube are currently.

EVERY Xfinisty agent I spoke with assured me that Xfinity was/is working on getting the Disney Plus app ready for the Nov 12 rollout of Disney Plus.

Of course, with 15+ years of dealing with Comcast/Xfinity in 3 different states, <Edited>

Now it appears my intial skepticism was/is correct, Disney Plus apparently will NOT be made available as Netflix, Prime, YouTube are.

Additioanlly, I have read that Xfinity will soon drop Starz from the available channels?

Why then, should I continue to pay Xfinity's outrageous costs for TV service?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Disney + app for Xfinity???

Does Xfinity have the intent to add a Disney + app to stream their new channel?  It might be wise to, as those who have to purchase a streaming device might as well "cut the cable" once they have to.

New Poster

Disney+

Will Xfinity have Disney+ channel, if so what channel and how do I subscribe to it?

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Disney+

Not at this time and doubt anytime soon, they’re competitors

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Disney + app for Xfinity???

Doubt it anytime soon, they’re competitors.

Frequent Visitor

Isn't Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc your competitors as well?

Expert

@corrado59 wrote:

Isn't Netflix, Hulu, Prime, etc your competitors as well?

Comcast owns NBCUniversal.  Disney owns ABC.  Comcast also has a stake in Hulu.  Comcast at one time was trying to buy ABC but lost to Disney.

Comcast and Disney are competitors.  Netflix and Prime are not in competition on that scale.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

Actually Comcast sold its stake in Hulu to Disney earlier this year.

Expert

@CCAndrew wrote:
Actually Comcast sold its stake in Hulu to Disney earlier this year.

From Wiki:

"Hulu is a U.S.-based subscription video on demand service fully controlled and majority-owned by Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International, a business segment of The Walt Disney Company, with Comcast's NBCUniversal as an equity stakeholder owning 33%."

Comcast is a silent partner.

Also from Wiki:

"On May 14, 2019, Comcast relinquished its control in Hulu to Disney effective immediately. As a result, the streaming service became a division of Walt Disney Direct-to-Consumer & International with Comcast effectively becoming a silent partner. Under the agreement, Comcast's 33% stake can be sold to Disney at fair market value as early as 2024."

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Silver Problem Solver

No matter how we get it, it will be $6.99/mo, just like Netflix, etc.

I have a Roku Ultra and a Chromcast Ultra, so it doesn't matter to me if it is not included in the Xfinity apps, but I really don't see why they can't send my payment to them like Netflix does.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

At the end of the day, there has to be an agreement between both companies, and there isn’t one. If there was it would make headlines

Contributor

Netflix is on Comcast equipment.

Amazon Prime Video is on Comcast equipment.

YouTube is on Comcast equipment.

Will only be a matter of time for Disney Plus. It’s essential to both Disney and Comcast that this happens. Online streaming is replacing cable and Comcast will do anything they can to keep their internet customers happy. The goal is to keep customers on Comcast equipment for everything. Look into Xfinity Flex. This is their response to Roku, Amazon Fire stick, etc.

Cable is dead.

Frequent Visitor

Disney+ tomorrow, is comcast in?

So, is Xfinity working on or having an app or connection to Disney+ ?
Now, the first response I am going to get is the canned "they are direct competitors." From some "offical, non-offical"

Then I will get " what about hulu, netfilx, amazon" etc. From yet another.

Then another will pipe up, but comcast has stock in this hulu and that.... etc. Etc...

None of that matters. It's all philosophy. Its not a yes or a no, its a "if this, than that"

Here is few things that is certain.

1. Anyone that uses Netflix, amazon, hulu etc through comcast, already have subscriptions with those services. (From free to full price)

2. They also have a subscription with xifinity services.

3. They can use xifinity to access those services, and thus.... xifinity is a direct contact to those other streaming services.

4. This increases the value or "value-added" ability of xifinity because it makes it more versitile to streaming services they already own.

Sooooo. Having an access to Disney+ via Xfinity would not make xfinity suffer, it would make it gain value. You already own Disney+ (myself for the next 3 years)

If they don't plan to have a connection and it comes to choosing one or the other.... I am choosing the one I already paid for in advance for 3 years, instead of the one that it's monthly bill costs 2 1/2 years worth prepaid of Disney+.

Unless..... I can access the Disney+ though Xfinity. I would obviously keep both. Best of both worlds.

So. Anyone know if there is plans to get an app. Or am I getting on my ps4, checking the end date of my contract verses term fee, and getting some internet qoutes. Because I got amazon, nextflix, hulu, and a few others.

I keep xfinity for a select amount of shows, and mainly.... because I can access the other stream services via X1. But... if they can't get along, I might need to move along. I can easily cut 200 off per month by killing phone, tv, security (i have other security) and switch internet.

It's not a threat. Just honest musing. Disney+ app on X1 would just make me even more committed to toss money at Xfinity.

Value-added 🙂
Regular Contributor

Re: Disney+ tomorrow, is comcast in?

Keep in mind that a lot of what I am about to say is speculation, but "I am under the impression that" adding Disney+ access won't happen before the current deal between Comcast and Disney needs to be renewed - for some reason, I want to say this happens in 2021. I also have a feeling that this is when ACC Network will finally come to Comcast...assuming both sides can come to a deal.

Note that Disney has an ace up its sleeve; it has the right to pull all ABC affiliates that it owns (including WABC New York and KABC Los Angeles) from Xfinity if Comcast can't come to an agreement. It can happen; CBS pulled the CBS stations that it owns from U-Verse and DirecTV for about three weeks in July until AT&T agreed to a deal.

Diamond Problem Solver

It’s a no and you won’t find any additional information until a deal is made public, if it’s ever a yes it will make headlines

Frequent Visitor

disney

will you be able to streem disney neew streaming service from comcast

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: disney

Nope

Regular Visitor

Silly if they don’t provide access to Disney plus. Will just make it easier to switch to Fios. Plan on doing just that

Silver Problem Solver

@ananni wrote:

will you be able to streem disney neew streaming service from comcast

It's an extra charge for streaming - it seems to be like Netflix.  Maybe they will add it as an app sice we have to pay for it like Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Silver Problem Solver

Just get a Roku and don't bother trying to watch subscription channels through a slow Comcast cable box. Plus, you get zillions of other channels Comcast would never offer.

Frequent Visitor

I really appreciate the honest cut and dry answer. That actually... made me feel better.

Way better than, go but a chromcast, go buy a roku, go buy an android....blaaa blaaa....answers I might from people not really reading this. I have a ps4.

Thank you.
Frequent Visitor

Solid theory, I know some people that been in Disney for 30+ years. I will contact them. Thanks. Should had done that in the first place. 😑
Frequent Visitor

I own a ps4.
I wanted to use comcast.... because it will not count against my wifi/interent consumption.

Roku will.
Diamond Problem Solver

If it was app on the Comcast X1 box, it would still count for usage. There’s no getting around it

Silver Problem Solver

@Userzero wrote:
I own a ps4.
I wanted to use comcast.... because it will not count against my wifi/interent consumption.

Roku will.

As @CCAndrew noted, all 3rd party apps on the cable box do count against your Internet usage. The only Internet usage that doesn't count is Xfinity Stream on non-cable boxes, when used on your own home network.

New Poster

I’ve seen a few “answers” on the subject that are wrong. Mine is incomplete, but I’m trying to dispel the “they’re competitors” answer.

There is no release date yet, but part of the deal where Disney got the rest of the Hulu control from Comcast was that Comcast would get Disney Plus. That’s what was announced internally a few months ago, when I still worked at Comcast.
Diamond Problem Solver

You may be thinking of Hulu not Disney plus showing up on the X1
https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2019/digital/news/disney-full-control-hulu-comcast-deal-120...

New Poster

Disney+

Why would Comcast not offer this feature? This is something that could cause us to cancel cable altogether or go with another provider.
You offer other streaming services there is no reason not to add this one.
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Disney+

The biggest why is the 2 companies don’t have an agreement or possibly even discussions.

New Poster

Disney +

When might we see the Disney + app added to x1?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Disney +

@MIGhunter wrote:
When might we see the Disney + app added to x1?

We will have to wait for an annoucement from Comcast/Xfinity.

In the meantime, I am using my Disney+ account on my Roku Ultra.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Disney +

I wouldn't hold out hope for apps from competing networks to show up on a Comcast cable box. Most of the apps are complementary or don't directly compete with Comcast's own networks or cable channels they carry.

New Poster

Disney Plus

I just subscribed to Disney Plus. I got it on my iPad. How do I get it on the TV?