Community Forum

Disabling of graphic commercials?

Highlighted
New Poster

Disabling of graphic commercials?

Over the last couple years the horror genre of TV shows and movies seems to have increased in demand which in turn has lead to increasingly graphic commercials in between programming. For example, my wife and I were just watching Harry Potter on AMC and one of the commercials that keeps appearing showcases a dark figure sewing hair onto a skinned off face that they then use as a mask with fairly close-up detail. 

We can obviously avoid programming that we don't like via the guide, but are generally unable to control anything about the advertisements that are shown in between programming. Is there a way for us to set preferences to prevent us from seeing graphic advertisements?

Official Employee

Re: Disabling of graphic commercials?

Sorry, no there isn’t.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Is there anything you'd recommend for me to explore further? Should I contact AMC? Request a feature for the service or the cable box? 

Official Employee

Contact any network that you feel that you don’t like their commercials, Comcast has nothing to do with that.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

@thorlax wrote:

Over the last couple years the horror genre of TV shows and movies seems to have increased in demand which in turn has lead to increasingly graphic commercials in between programming. For example, my wife and I were just watching Harry Potter on AMC and one of the commercials that keeps appearing showcases a dark figure sewing hair onto a skinned off face that they then use as a mask with fairly close-up detail. 

We can obviously avoid programming that we don't like via the guide, but are generally unable to control anything about the advertisements that are shown in between programming. Is there a way for us to set preferences to prevent us from seeing graphic advertisements?

The Harry Potter movies were on USA Network today, not AMC.

Regular Contributor

@thorlax wrote:

Even if there was, it would be up to the broadcasters to (a) decide what is a "graphic advertisement," and (b) actually "set the flag." Needless to say, an advertiser told, "Your commercial is too graphic for us," will go elsewhere, so the network loses money, which it has to make up by, among other things, demanding more money from cable companies to air it.

Your best chance is to contact the company whose item is being promoted in the ad and express your concern. It works better if you can get others who agree with you to do the same thing.