Community Forum

DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Administrator

DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Never miss the end of another recorded live sporting event or your favorite programming again with the Auto Extend feature. When scheduling a recording for a "Live" event, the "Auto Extend" option will be available on programs that support the feature. When it is determined that an event will air past the scheduled airtime of a recording, X1 will automatically extend the recording in 30 minute increments to ensure you capture the entire event. Starting out, the feature will be available on major sporting events including NFL Football, MLB Baseball, NBA Basketball, soccer, NHL Hockey as well as NCAA Men’s Football and Basketball, and NASCAR, and we’ll be rolling it out to a wider range of events over time.

1.png

Recent X1 updates include Enhanced DVR Auto Extend functionality so that all eligible live sports programming will receive automatic extensions without requiring the X1 user to change their settings

Don’t forget, you can manually extend the recording of any content on X1 from the program’s info page.

AUTO  EXTEND UPDATES:

• “Auto Extend” will no longer appear as the default “Stop” option in Record Options for eligible live sports programs. All programs will default to “On Time.”
  • Eligible live sports recordings will automatically extend, if they run longer than the scheduled air time, and no longer require an “Auto Extend” setting.
  • Recordings set with Auto Extend no longer receive:
                  • A special recording icon throughout the guide
                  • Additional text on the recording confirmation overlay
                  • A notification during playback of auto extended portion
  • New educational text will be added to the Record Options to identify Auto Extend eligible programs.
  • Completed recordings that extended due to Auto Extend will continue to receive the Auto Extend badge.

Auto Extend Notifications

A notification now appears during the playback of an Auto Extended DVR recording.

X1 Auto Extend Notification

Press the INFO button on your remote control to learn more about the Auto Extend feature.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Do users have to take any action in order for Auto Extend to function?

No. Users no longer have to schedule their recordings with any particular “Stop” option in order for their Auto Extend eligible program to be extended. The process will happen automatically.

If a user chooses their own stop time for an Auto Extend eligible program, what will happen?

A user will never receive a recording that is shorter than what they’ve requested. If a program runs longer than the user’s manual padding selection, then auto extend will activate to automatically extend the recording even further.

What programs are eligible for Auto Extend?

Live sports events for the following are eligible for Auto Extend: NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, Premier League Soccer, MLS Soccer, LigaMX Soccer, Bundesliga Soccer, Ligue1 Soccer, Champions League Soccer, and NCAA Men’s Football and Basketball for the following conferences: Big Ten, Big 12, Pac 12, SEC, ACC, Big East and AAC.

New Poster

Auto Extend Does Not Work

I live in Michigan, tried auto extend this weekend on a couple college football games and it did not work. I missed the end of 2 big games I wanted to watch because yet another Comcast feature fails. Why advance your technology, if you are unable to do it succesfully?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Auto Extend Does Not Work

Comcast may have turned off Auto Extend to fix bugs.
Regular Contributor

If they've disabled it, they have not modified the UI. I agree that it doesn't seem to be working.
Regular Visitor

Same here in Seattle. I missed the last 30 min of yesterday's NASCAR race.  Another disappointment in xfinity.

Contributor

I tired using auto extend labor day and it did not work.

Regular Contributor

I agree. I tried it twice this weekend and it did not work. I noticed when I set up a college football game and the NASCAR race for this weekend that it is still an option. I chose to extend for 1.5 hours instead. I hope they get it figured out, as it would be really cool to have it work. 

Most Valued Poster

Auto Extend feature does not work...

Orioles game went longer than expected last night. I had the Auto Extend feature turned on for recording, but it didn't record past the top of the 8th inning. Can someone explain this feature to me, so this doesn't happen again.?
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Auto Extend feature does not work...

There were bugs with Auto Extend. It appears Comcast turned it off.
Silver Problem Solver

... Except Comcast didn't change the Guide to remove it.  That leads people to believe it is available.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Gold Problem Solver

I just set three recordings for tonight using Auto Extend. We shall see what happens.

RobertWy wrote:

... Except Comcast didn't change the Guide to remove it.  That leads people to believe it is available.

Most Valued Poster

Auto Extend should be a default feature for sports games or it should at least be included in the recording options for each individual sports team. Right now you have to enable auto extend for each specific recording.
Gold Problem Solver

Adam,

For me, Auto Extend has always been the default. Just as it was when I set three recordings for tonight.

I have said this before and I will say it again... many issues with X1 can be market specific...

adammusic22 wrote:
Auto Extend should be a default feature for sports games or it should at least be included in the recording options for each individual sports team. Right now you have to enable auto extend for each specific recording.

Contributor

Didn't work for me today when a football game went over by about 15 minutes. DVR stopped at exactly 3 hours. 

New Poster

Auto extend did not work for Notre Dame Virginia game on CBS today. Will not use it again.

New Poster

So Comcast, what is your response.

Regular Contributor

Are we saying that "auto extend" has been officially deprecated or just that it no longer works but should?

When I record live sports, I still see "auto extend" as the default setting. Comcast...please either fix or remove, and tell us what you're doing.
Silver Problem Solver

It's just my opinion, but I don't think it was deprecated.  Auto-extend still shows up when scheduling a recording.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

This is typical lack of customer care by Xfinity (Comcast). If the feature doesn't work, a company with competent decision makers with a concern for customer satisfaction would either remove the feature or send somehow notify it's customers it doesn't work. I Just sat through 3 1/2 hours and watched a football game go to a tie. Never got to see the end because I relied on the feature. Wife told me not to trust comcast and not to rely on Auto Extend - she was right.  There is no company in the world that cares less about it's customers than Comcast. When my two years is up, so am I. I've had enough!

New Poster

This didn't work for me either during NFL Sunday Night Football or the US Open tennis final last night (09/13/2015)

New Poster

This is tagged as a "Solution" to the post "Auto-extend does not work". Who is Comcast fooling ? Fixing a broken feature is simply to turn it off ?

Auto-extend actually records less time than the programmed game (2hrs 50 mins instead of the full 3 hours). Tivo never failed at this, and that was more than 10 years ago. Bravo Comcast. Does DirecTV's DVR work better ?

New Poster

I guess the only thing to do is go back to the previous days where the DVR had no auto-extend feature - just tack on 90 minutes of recording which works for most games.

Just tried to record tonights NFL game (Broncos @ Chiefs), recording stopped with 10 minutes left to play in the 4th quarter.

Comcast sells us features that don't work and we still have to pay for the whole package.

Regular Contributor

First of all, I would like to apologize for the issues that we are having with the auto extend feature right now. We are aware of the impact to you and are truly sorry the feature is not working as we intend it to.  

The main problem that we are having is that in some cases, the auto extend messages are being delivered too late and past the scheduled end time of the recording. I won’t get into all of the details, but we have fixes identified and we will have them deployed next week if all goes well. The issue will still persist for some games until then.

I would recommend that you manually extend any football or baseball games that you may have scheduled for this weekend. You can do this by selecting one of the extend time values such as 60 minutes instead of the auto extend option for each of the scheduled recordings.

Comcast Thomas

Gold Problem Solver

Thank you for the update!  

-=Ray=-

Gold Problem Solver

Thanks Tom!!!
New Poster

Just got to miss the last three minutes of F1 qualifying thanks to the Extend "Feature" not working.

Arggghhhh!

New Poster

Missed most of the 4th quarter of the Cal v. Texas game because of Auto Extend. Why is this even an option when it doesn't work? Unacceptable! I suppose it's my fault for trusting Comcast to get this right after past issues. Time to consider other options.
Gold Problem Solver

Jmp1 wrote:
Missed most of the 4th quarter of the Cal v. Texas game because of Auto Extend. Why is this even an option when it doesn't work? Unacceptable! I suppose it's my fault for trusting Comcast to get this right after past issues. Time to consider other options.

Message # 13 above from a Comcast OE explained the issue, the repair and the work around for this issue until it is functional.

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

New Poster

Yes, thank you, I did see that.  Problem is I didn't see that until it became an issue for me.  I don't check the forums to make sure all is working as it should.  I just wanted to log my complaint for Comcast to see.

Contributor

so, can I assume this is still not working?  I'm glad it is being worked, this is an amazing feature for watching live sports events, and I would love to have it.  but, until it is working I can continue to extend the games manually, I generally extend by 90 minutes.  this usually works pretty well, except for sometimes when nascar is in a rain delay.

please let us know when it's turned back on, I would be glad to test it with something I'm not that concerned about missing the end of.

thanks.

New Poster

Tried to record Monday Night Football last night with "auto extend". Recording stopped half way through the 4th quarter. Same thing happened for Denver vs KC game. I missed the last two minutes where there was a fumble recovery and return for a touchdown that shocked KC. Please fix!
Silver Problem Solver

fruitopa wrote:
Tried to record Monday Night Football last night with "auto extend". Recording stopped half way through the 4th quarter. Same thing happened for Denver vs KC game. I missed the last two minutes where there was a fumble recovery and return for a touchdown that shocked KC. Please fix!

I've resorted to recording the the next program after the games.

And I will continue to do so until Comcast mods tell us it is fixed.

You don't have to miss the end of the games.

Gold Problem Solver

Agreed. I just went back to the "old way" of adding recording time until it is fixed...

Forum members need to remember the online DVR Manager located on the Comcast.net home page offers many options for adding recording time.

Yes, Comcast needs to fix this feature but the lack of this feature isn't a life altering event, especially when the work around is to simply go back to the old method of doing things...

RobertWy wrote:

fruitopa wrote:

I've resorted to recording the the next program after the games.

And I will continue to do so until Comcast mods tell us it is fixed.

You don't have to miss the end of the games.

New Poster

That's fine. I will go back to the "old way" of doing things. However, I believe Comcast should either send out a notice about this to all its customers and/or disable the feature on the menu.  There are many Comcast customers that are not reading this thread and they shouldn't have to miss the end of any games because of technical issues on Comcast's end.

Silver Problem Solver

fruitopa wrote:

That's fine. I will go back to the "old way" of doing things. However, I believe Comcast should either send out a notice about this to all its customers and/or disable the feature on the menu.  There are many Comcast customers that are not reading this thread and they shouldn't have to miss the end of any games because of technical issues on Comcast's end.

True statement.

Regular Contributor

Just a quick update. We have made a number changes and fixes to the auto extend feature over the past week which has increased the reliability of the feature. Although I am not ready to claim 100% victory, the feature is performing much better than it has in the past. We are still seeing a few failures and are hoping to eliminate them next week.

There is still a chance of a missed extension but if you guys were willing to give it a try again, I would love the feedback.

ComcastThomas

Contributor

Thanks Thomas!  I'm glad to hear your guys are trying to perfect this much needed feature.  However, I just went to Xfinity TV on my computer and tried to change the settings for tomorrow's Phillies game, but I still only see time extensions from half an hour to 1 1/2 hours.  There is still no option for Auto-Extend - at least on the website.

Gold Problem Solver

Auto-Extend did work on last night's NFL game as it went into OT and I did not miss anything.

Good job!!!

-=Ray=-

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

New Poster

Interestingly, it did NOT work for me when I used auto-extend for that same game (Thursday, Oct 1st) Ravens vs Steelers. It stopped half way through overtime and I missed the game winning field goal. I am done "experimenting" with auto extend. I'll just add time like I did in the past and wait until all the bugs are worked out. It just sucks to miss the ending of games.

New Poster

Didn't work on the KC/Houston game today

Contributor

Recorded a football game Friday night and the auto extend worked perfectly.  Comcast gets a lot of bad publicity (sometimes deserved) but I do believe they work to provide a valuable service.  Friends that have Time Warner, Cox, etc. would all prefer Comcast with the  X1 platform.

Thanks for working to get this working in central Virginia.

New Poster

I missed the last 2 minutes of the SAN PIT game last night I called comcast and the rep (Dee) said auto extend only extends the game 30 minutes, not to the real end of the game. From now on instead of selecting auto extend select 1 or 1.5 hours more. Bad technology and service, Probably why the Feds wouldn't let them merge

Most Valued Poster

Still not fixed?
Most Valued Poster

MLB is over so I don't need it anymore. Hopefully it will be fixed by next year.
Regular Visitor

Crapped out two hours into Cubs-Cards game last night. (I'm in Boulder, CO, if that makes any difference.) Agree that Comcast should be letting us know if the feature (bug?) is or is not working, since it is the default setting for any sports event. 

We all already know that Comcast routinely rolls out buggy software, but why, ComcastThomas, is that part of the customer service equation so difficult?

Contributor

We've just become customers for about a month and this feature has been a joke for us as well. We've been recording every new Florida college and Dolphins games using Favorites that set them to Auto-Extend by default, and unless we remember to manually go in and extend the recording of each new game, we miss the end of them. Has to be more than a dozen games so far. And really, having to remember to manually extend each game is nowhere near a solution. What a headache. It would be so much better to be able to just create a team Favorite and set it to record only new games, then set a universal extension for all of those new games from within the Favorite. Why can't this be done??

New Poster

Feature worked last week when the game went long. Today I not only missed the last 6 mins of the 4th quarter, but I also missed Overtime.

Gold Problem Solver

We all know this feature appears to be hit and miss. I used it to record Sunday's Vikings/Packers game and it worked fine. Recording was originally set for three hours (which would have been long enough) but the DVR added an hour and recorded the entire game.

New Poster

First, I've been a Comcast customer for over 20 years now.  I keep waiting for them to get their act together when it comes to recording sports events that are not duration-specific.  Work arounds seem to indicate that the system is not mature and/or not well managed.  Since Comcast has been around SO long, 'not mature' probably is inaccurate...

I record the next show (AND the next show...) and sometimes that's not enough.  Smiley Sad   Moreover, it's a real hassle to do this when there are overlapping games and every Sunday

morning I have to do mental gymnastics just to <try> and make sure that the games will be fully recorded.  I just want to hit 'record' on a specific game and know that every

minute on the game clock will be recorded, overtime or no.  Apparently that's too much to ask as it seems Comcast's only response is to do workarounds, like we are alpha

or beta testers and not paying customers for 20 years.  (I'm not bitter, lol!)

VERY frustrating to watch a whole game including most of the overtime only to miss the actual ending (many times the 2nd NFL football game on a Sunday starts late due to the first game going long as well).  I wish that there was a way to know when a show or game was over so the recording DVR would know to keep going or to stop when the game's over.  It doesn't seem too unreasonable for us to want Comcast to be in control of it's own programming.  Why can't there be a 'stop bit' or some kind of signal to a DVR (especially on sports programming which are typically not predictable duration events)?  THAT would really help and really be a breakthrough.  As it is, it seems really inelegant and klunky and potentially dissatisfying to try and record any sports event that is not duration-specific.   

Does anybody know if other TV providers can record games or races or matches and continue recording until the event is actually over, without a bunch of workarounds?? 

I would pay more just to know that the cable provider actually cares about the NFL viewer's experience.  As it is, I interpret the lack of recording accuracy to indicate that the NFL viewer is a second class citizen on Comcast.   I mean come on people, this is the 21 Century, it can't be that hard, if the resources were allocated to fix it....

Contributor

just wanted to add to this discussion...it would be nice if comcast changed the default for time extension to 90 minutes, instead of defaulting to auto extend, until this problem is completely resolved.  that would save me quite a few remote clicks (clicking all the way to the bottom to change the end time, then all the way back to the top to confirm) when setting a recording.

also, that way we would know when the programmers think they have it resolved, because they will set the default back to autoextend.