Community Forum

DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Silver Problem Solver
Moved:

Re: ** Super Bowl LI - No Auto Extend & No Record Choice over 30 Minutes !!!!!! :-(

Official Employee
Moved:

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

I have X1 and auto extend worked for a while as a specific option.  Now there is no option. Big step backwards. Why??

Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

As an example I was watching the Chicago Bears today and it did not auto extend so I missed the overtime game winning play. 

New Poster

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Nice job COMCAST. I just messed the end of the Minnesota Saints playoff game I dvr'd when the auto extend did not work. You did not give the option to extend past one half hour. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Same thing happened to me. Greatest ending ever! What can we do?

 

 


@Adm32 wrote:

Nice job COMCAST. I just messed the end of the Minnesota Saints playoff game I dvr'd when the auto extend did not work. You did not give the option to extend past one half hour. 


 

Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Hmmm. I am able to extend 1-1/2 hours. Probably varies in different parts of the country. I think the auto-extend did kick in for me on one of the really long games this weekend. But I've been caught before in the same frustrating situation you found yourself in.

 

Until -- if ever -- Xfinity remedies this once and for all, the only solution I know of is to record a large block of shows following any important sports event that might go long.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Does auto extend always add at least 30 minutes to a sporting event scheduled time? I have noticed several events that have ended on time but significant time was added to the recordings. It is taking up lots of extra space on the DVR with events I may want to keep for a while. 

 

Is is there any way to turn off the auto extend feature?  

 

The latest examples were NCAA tournament basketball games. 

Regular Visitor

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

The notice above says “”Auto Extend” will no longer appear as the default “Stop” option in Record Options for eligible live sports programs. All programs will default to “On Time.”” If this is the case, then remove the statement “Recording time will automatically extend if this program runs long” from my tv screen Record Options! I just missed the extra time and ending of the UEFA Super Cup! Awful.
E957779A-F068-44BF-8C42-AA01EDDE5833.jpeg
New Poster

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

The "DVR Auto Extend Live Events" stopped recording with over 5 minutes left in the Michigan/ SMU football game. I'll never trust it again. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

It’s incredible that this topic has been active for over 3 years and Comcast has done nothing to remedy it. Yo! Anybody home?
Regular Contributor

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events


@jbgood wrote:

The "DVR Auto Extend Live Events" stopped recording with over 5 minutes left in the Michigan/ SMU football game. I'll never trust it again. 

 

ALWAYS go out 90 minutes


 

New Poster

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Is there any way to turn this off? I sometimes have to DVR multiple games, and frequently they are on one after the other, with the Auto Extend screwing it up. I get why they added the option, but I don't understand why there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off.
New Poster

Re: X1 DVR

For years I have recorded sporting events. When the CONFIRM  screen appeard it would say the recording will automatically extend if the game runs longer than the allotted time, which baseball games often do.  Now that message does not appear.  I have talked to three Comcast agents.  The first said it was a problem at their end.  She prepared a ticket to send up the line and said it would be fixed in an hour.  It wasn't.  The second tried some things, then referred the issue to a senior specialist.  The specialist tried to tell me it was a network policy that the recording could not automatically be extended.  I tried to send this info to Comcast via its website, but found no way to write to them directly.

Needless to say, I am quite upset with Comcast's lack of response.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: X1 DVR

Are the games not recording fully? The auto extend is automatic now.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

Re: X1 DVR


@CCAndrew wrote:
Are the games not recording fully? The auto extend is automatic now.

If the auto extend is automatic now then why in the world did all those he/she spoke with not  know that? Seems like it would have been appropriate  that they could just tell him its automatic...period. If cust svc doesn't have the current info to share with a customer I am more dismayed that ever with their support process. Don't they ever update the support team? Look at all the calls and tickets and escalations it would stop. 

New Poster

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Awesome, but how about major tennis tournaments like the US Open?
If it can’t auto extend then we should be able to set more than 90 minutes extra on the record options. Example, US Open Men’s Final was scheduled on the network for 3 hours; I extended the scheduled recording for 90 minutes but the event went for 5-1/2 hours.
Do the math! Missed the last hour of the event!!
We need to be able to extend scheduled recordings for increments up to at least 3 extra hours. Please!!
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Go right to the channel itself, in the guide, press left arrow to highlight the channel and press record. You can set a manual recording on a single channel for I believe up to 12 or 13 hours

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

 


@CCAndrew wrote:
Go right to the channel itself, in the guide, press left arrow to highlight the channel and press record. You can set a manual recording on a single channel for I believe up to 12 or 13 hours

That is true, however, if you record several different things on the same channel that way it becomes difficult to identify what the recordings are unless you have a great memory of what came on at what time and whether you recorded it. 

 

You might could do that but my brain cells are older than yours (I bet)!! 

 

Is there an official avenue to make requests of "enhancements" to the interface? 

 


 

Regular Contributor

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

not having the ability to remotely set a recording also hampers this guy

 

if you see something is running monstrously long, you used to be able to just set a recording for the next program ahead, and extend that out for 90 minutes

 

it all cascades from there

New Poster

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events


@billmich88888 wrote:

not having the ability to remotely set a recording also hampers this guy

 

if you see something is running monstrously long, you used to be able to just set a recording for the next program ahead, and extend that out for 90 minutes

 

it all cascades from there


 

I don't have any problems doing anything "remotely" if the tools are designed to be able to accomplish the desired tasks.

 

As I asked previously, "Is there an official avenue to make requests of "enhancements" to the interface?" 

 

Frequent Visitor

Re: X1 DVR


@CCAndrew wrote:
Are the games not recording fully? The auto extend is automatic now.

Well, that's what's SUPPOSED to happen, but as you can see from all these comments it doesn't actually work that way.

Regular Visitor

Re: X1 DVR


@rjandjlthomas wrote:

For years I have recorded sporting events. When the CONFIRM  screen appeard it would say the recording will automatically extend if the game runs longer than the allotted time, which baseball games often do.  Now that message does not appear.  I have talked to three Comcast agents.  The first said it was a problem at their end.  She prepared a ticket to send up the line and said it would be fixed in an hour.  It wasn't.  The second tried some things, then referred the issue to a senior specialist.  The specialist tried to tell me it was a network policy that the recording could not automatically be extended.  I tried to send this info to Comcast via its website, but found no way to write to them directly.

Needless to say, I am quite upset with Comcast's lack of response.


I am curious about this too. Has nothing changed except that the message "the recording will automatically extend if the game runs longer than the allotted time" no longer appears? I was confused as to whether they would extend or not. I did notice that when I set my last sports recording it showed an extra 90 minutes showed up when viewing my sceduled recordings.