Community Forum

DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Regular Contributor

Re: Auto Extend feature does not work...

@stephanjay wrote:

With Auto Extend enabled, recording stopped at the 8th inning of the 7th game of the World Series, missing the end of an historic game. A totally useless and misleading feature.  Perhaps a class action suit will wake Comcast up, to spend money on providing an accurate and reliable service and not on raising rates and buying networks such as NBC.

... or at a minimum, change the default Stop recording time for these events from Auto Extend to On time so that customers aren't tempted to use it.  I've been recommending this for weeks (months actually).  This feature simply doesn't work ... SO REMOVE IT!

Most Valued Poster

I was gonna say I feel terrible for anyone who had to dvr the world series and used auto extend lol. 

Its absolutely mindblowing that its still there when it 100% doesnt work. and they almost refuse to acknowledge or work on it.

Seriously just remove it at this point.

Expert
Moved:

New Poster

SOLUTION!  The only thing that works is to set the following 1, or 2, or even 3 programs to record (depending on how long they are) in addition to the game you are watching.  As I was watching the World Series I knew the 1.5 hour extended recording would not be long enough so I quickly set the next two 30 minute programs to record.  It worked!   AUTO-EXTEND, or Auto-EXPEND as I like to call it, frequently will not even record the full length of the SCHEDULED program. 

Contributor

That's exactly what I've been doing for quite a while now.  What a pain.

Regular Contributor

@Malibu89 wrote:

SOLUTION!  The only thing that works is to set the following 1, or 2, or even 3 programs to record (depending on how long they are) in addition to the game you are watching.  As I was watching the World Series I knew the 1.5 hour extended recording would not be long enough so I quickly set the next two 30 minute programs to record.  It worked!   AUTO-EXTEND, or Auto-EXPEND as I like to call it, frequently will not even record the full length of the SCHEDULED program. 

Note that you can also press Guide, arrow left over to channel number (Fox in this case), press Enter, select Record ... to set a manual recording from 15 minutes to 7 hours in length.  But even doing this is not a "Solution".  I'd call it a workaround ...

And for this game, which lasted 4 hrs 45 mins, not a single X1 customer would have ended up with the entire game "in one piece" unless they setup a manual 5-hour recording in advance.  Extend from the Guide by 2-hours would have worked, but not 1 1/2.

Gold Problem Solver

I don't trust Auto Extend. When I am recording an important sport event, I use the DVR Manager on the Comcast home where you can add up to two hours to recordings.

I think that is the easiest way to do work around this issue.
Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:
I don't trust Auto Extend. When I am recording an important sport event, I use the DVR Manager on the Comcast home where you can add up to two hours to recordings.

Hmmm, just tried this (extending tonight's Thursday Night Football game by 2-hours) via the DVR Manager tab in the Xfinity Remote app, and 2-hours wasn't an option (1 1/2 hours was the max).  Are you referring to the web interface?

Regular Visitor

Good Lord - My recording stopped before the 8th inning of the World Series! I missed all the important action! If you knew there was a problem with this feature, I do not understand why you didn't warn users in some way! This has also been happening to me during football and basketball games. At first I thought I must have been setting my recordings incorrectly. But the way you have it set up, the recordings are automatically set for "auto extend," which I only just now find out does not work. Shame on you, Comcast!

New Poster

okay I am fed up with this Auto Extend failure.

@Jdokes wrote:

Good Lord - My recording stopped before the 8th inning of the World Series! I missed all the important action! If you knew there was a problem with this feature, I do not understand why you didn't warn users in some way! This has also been happening to me during football and basketball games. At first I thought I must have been setting my recordings incorrectly. But the way you have it set up, the recordings are automatically set for "auto extend," which I only just now find out does not work. Shame on you, Comcast!

When is this going to be fixed? I have missed the endings to several games now especially Seahawk games. Last night was the last straw. Does anyone have a better solution than to record from the Guide or staggering? This is awful. 

@Jdokes wrote:

New Poster

Firstly, I'd like to understand what Comcast's policy is on following and addressing customers issues & comments. Is there a dedicated team? An expected timeframe?

Regarding autoextend dysfunction, I see Thomas at Comcast replied back in September of 2015 it was an issue being repaired (why aren't you guys proactive with your communication? ). I have had several episodes where recording terminated early in November 2016. Is this news to Comcast? Do you think this feature is foolproof?

I like the idea that recording from the X1 sports app (the "C" button) defaults to autoextend. The problem is I just dont trust it for my most important games. For those, I go back in and reprogram to the 1.5 hour extension. Terry
Gold Problem Solver

The DVR Manager on the Comcast home page has changed greatly and no longer offers the recording extension options it once did.

@milehiguy wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Hmmm, just tried this (extending tonight's Thursday Night Football game by 2-hours) via the DVR Manager tab in the Xfinity Remote app, and 2-hours wasn't an option (1 1/2 hours was the max).  Are you referring to the web interface?

Valued Contributor

Hi,

Is there any specific game that did not auto extend for you? If so, could you provide which game it was?

Thank you,

Gwen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
New Poster

Hi Gwen,

What about the 2017 College Football Playoff National Championship game going on right now? I selected auto extend and checked on the game at 9:15 pm Pacific. It's still going on and my DVR stopped recording. And *spoiler alert* the game tightened up to within 3 points so I missed a chunk of one heckuva game. This issue of not extend recording has been consistent for years based on this forum thread. Why doesn't Comcast simply remove this option so we don't get tempted into being fooled once again?
Valued Contributor

@Walken1 wrote:
Hi Gwen,

What about the 2017 College Football Playoff National Championship game going on right now? I selected auto extend and checked on the game at 9:15 pm Pacific. It's still going on and my DVR stopped recording. And *spoiler alert* the game tightened up to within 3 points so I missed a chunk of one heckuva game. This issue of not extend recording has been consistent for years based on this forum thread. Why doesn't Comcast simply remove this option so we don't get tempted into being fooled once again?

Hi,

I see that you've deleted your recording for the game. Would you mind restoring the recording and looking at the completed recording to double check for the auto extension? I'm seeing that your game extended until 9:45pm PST. Feel free to private message me for this issue and any others that you may have.

Thanks,

Gwen

Regular Visitor

I record NCAA basketball games and the auto extend has not worked at all. Most recently 1/28/17 Georgetown v Butler. 

Reading through the posts it looks like Comcast has been working on this for over a year and actually claims the problem is solved what's up with that? 

New Poster

Customers Beware When Relocating!

I was a good Comcast customer for too many years to count, paying for all the bells and whistles. When I recently purchased a house, I did what I was supposed to do and went online to inform Comcast so my Xfinity service could be transferred to my new address. However, before the process could be completed, I received a message that a Comcast representative would call me in the next few hours (or next day if beyond business hours). Nothing. Did this a few times. Nothing. I learned later that calls coming from "UNKNOWN" which I assumed were spam were in fact Comcast, but they didn't leave a message, so how was I to know? I tried again, but somehow or another, I was routed through as someone wanting new services (a Home account) and a "ticket" was created to assure my new address was serviceable. I was assured by the representative on the phone that I would be contacted the very next day. Again, nothing. 

By now, my impending move was less than a week away, so in exasperation I wrote a message (it was outside business hours), which apparently escalated my situation because I received another call from "UNKNOWN" but this time they actually left a message with a call back number. I promptly called back, explained my situation, but after at least 10 minutes on hold (as they investigated) I was told they had no record of me wanting to relocate. After even more explanation, I was told there was no "ticket" but that one could be initiated for me. With time running out, I assured the agent there was a "ticket" and explained the circumstances even further. After waiting on hold at least another 10 minutes (the entire conversation lasted 32 minutes), I was told that indeed there was a "ticket" for a new Home account that requires 3-5 business days for resolution, and that I should call back and reference THAT number. I should call back! And start over! 

Incidentally, "5 business days" came and went without a resolution. Again, nothing. So, when it finally became the day that I moved, I packed-up all the Comcast equipment and took it to the nearest Xfinity store. The agent at the desk asked why I was cancelling and I said, "I don't know". I explained I had tried for weeks to move my services but have been frustrated at every attempt. The agent at the desk told me he could check my new address right then and there, and so I gave him my new address. In less than a minute he told me that address was not serviceable and would cost $4k-$10k to run a line to. This guy told me in less than a minute what Comcast Customer Services COULD NOT TELL ME IN TWO WEEKS. 

So here I am now, on the first day in my new house, trying to make-up the last two week of time that Comcast frittered-away from me because they couldn't be big enough to just tell me the truth. When they determined that I was no longer a customer for them, I became dead to them and they could care less about me needing to find alternative remedy.

After being a customer for years and years, I amounted to squat. Less than squat, actually, because they couldn't even bother to give me the time of day. 

Problem Solver

Re: Customers Beware When Relocating!

Hello ptrdo,

I apologize for the customer service experience you described. I completely agree with you with, you, the serviceability inquiry should have not been a hassle. I would also like to thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. With your feedback we are able to improve the customer service provided. We regret losing you as a valued Comcast customer, and hope to have the honor of being your service provider again in the future.

New Poster

With two weeks lost, I now won't have TV or internet for at least another week. Try that nowadays when you are moving into a new house with a zillion things to do! Not to mention I'll miss the Super Bowl. Three blank screens. Just because someone wouldn't tell me the truth. 

Problem Solver

ptrdo,

I completely understand and I do apologize for all the inconveniences. 

New Poster

autoextend

Comcast autoextend ended before the Super Bowl end!!!! I missed the last 2 minutes of regulation and all the overtime!!!!! What a jip

New Poster

Hey, Comcast. I missed the Super Bowl because of you guys. How was it? 

New Poster

Super Bowl Auto Extend failure

What a joke.  I've always had questions about whether Auto Extend would work on live sports events, but thought they would at least get it right for the freaking super bowl.  No dice.  My recording ended with a little over 2 minutes to go in the game with the Pats down by 8.  Must have been an exciting end of the game.  Big failure, Xfinity!

New Poster

Re: Super Bowl Auto Extend failure

Exactly the same for me.  Ended before the two minute warning when they were reviewing the Patriots catch.  I can only imagine what an exciting end it must have been.  Guess it's just another feature that doesn't work, hasn't worked from the forums and we just go back to recording the 3 show following hoping that 2 or 3 hours is enough extra time to catch the end of games.  Better than relying on the auto extend service.  Another feature that just doesn't work.

Regular Visitor

@ptrdo wrote:

Hey, Comcast. I missed the Super Bowl because of you guys. How was it? 

Greatest

Super Bowl

Ever

Frequent Visitor

I tried to DVR the Super Bowl with autoextend. The recording ended with about 2 minutes of regulation. Needless to say no end of game or OT of the Super Bowl

I am a long time customer of Comcast and this may be it. Complete and utter fail.
New Poster

Re: auto extend DVR does not record the whole show!

Same thing happened to me, I was on the road, so could only see it if I recorded, went to watch, and was, to drastically understate, extremely disappointed. I have had this happen a couple of times on smaller sporting events, on lesser channels...but this is the Super Bowl! And, of course, I couldn't avoid the spoilers, given it was the Super Bowl, so there's that...
Expert
Moved:

New Poster

Auto Extend

Has anyone used the auto extend feature when recording to the dvr? I used this feature when recording the superbowl, and much to my dimay, found that the recording stopped at 210 minutes, thus not getting to see the tying or the winning plays. What's up with that?

New Poster

Re: Auto Extend

We hosted a Super Bowl / "24" party last night. More than a dozen couples were here as we are all fans of both. I recorded the game using auto extend, then recorded the show "24" immediately following the game. Imagine how embarressed my wife and I were when the last 2 minutes and entire overtime were missed. The program ended and the screen said "it appears you've finished your recording, would you like to delete now Yes or No". Are you kidding me???? Arguably the best Super Bowl game ever with the most exciting finish ever and we all missed it and everyone is blaming me and comcast. To make matters worse, we turn on "24" and its showing 20 minutes of the after the game player interviews! This means that the ending of "24" was cut off as well!!!!!!! Unbelievable. I did everything I was supposed to do and it ended up being the worst day of our lives......

New Poster

autoextend cut off Super Bowl ending!!

We hosted a Super Bowl / "24" party last night. More than a dozen couples were here as we are all fans of both. I recorded the game using auto extend, then recorded the show "24" immediately following the game. Imagine how embarressed my wife and I were when the last 2 minutes and entire overtime were missed. The program ended and the screen said "it appears you've finished your recording, would you like to delete now Yes or No". Are you kidding me???? Arguably the best Super Bowl game ever with the most exciting finish ever and we all missed it and everyone is blaming me and comcast. To make matters worse, we turn on "24" and its showing 20 minutes of the after the game player interviews! This means that the ending of "24" was cut off as well!!!!!!! Unbelievable. I did everything I was supposed to do and it ended up being the worst day of our lives......

New Poster

Frequent Visitor

DVR RECORDING SPORTS EVENTS WITH aUTOeXTEND

I was recording the Super Bowl on the X1 DVR, with AutoExtend enabled, as the NFL games always do.  Normally, it works fine.  This time, the FREAKING Super Bowl, the DVR cuts of at exactly 3-1/2 hours, the regularly scheduled length of NFL games.  Tthe was no AutoExtend.  I did not erase it, and the Auto Exted is still visible on the recordings list.   WT??

Gold Problem Solver

Re: DVR RECORDING SPORTS EVENTS WITH aUTOeXTEND

Auto Extend is known to be unreliable.

You may want to take a peak at the long running Auto Extend thread which is right below your post.
Expert

I was running behind the game in the 4th quarter and the red LED turned off. The progress bar on the screen showed 6 minutes left but when it got ot end the recording kept going with the Red LED off. Got whole show including the ending 'talk', awards, stats, etc. well dont if a bit confusing without the record LED lit.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

** Super Bowl LI - No Auto Extend & No Record Choice over 30 Minutes !!!!!! :-(

We tried to just ADD time to the Super Bowl LI game Sunday... was looking for + 1 1/2 hrs 2 hrs or more to cover OT... none of these were an option. the most in the list of choices was 30 minutes... So we found a re-broadcast of the game on ch 853... then, knowing the game was going into OT... I had to also record the next 2 shows ... added the most I could to the 2nd record ( 30 minutes again)... Then on the third.. the most was 1 1/2 hrs... not sure why it was available on this program ONLY.. but luckily, we got the full game in three recordings...
I think it would have been Nice if Xfinity warned people about NO Auto Extend ... And WHY did I only have and extra 1 min 5 min & 30 minutes available to add on for time... Having all the required 3 services ( phone, tv and internet) etc to have X1 is pretty expensive, Especially when you do not get what you are paying for.
WHEN will the add on times be MORE than just 30 minutes... do you have to go into the recording a certain way to see the 1 1/2 hours and more ????
I would like to choose this over taking a chance of Auto Extend NOT working.

New Poster

Re: ** Super Bowl LI - No Auto Extend & No Record Choice over 30 Minutes !!!!!! :-(

No worries about the auto extend - it did NOT WORK for Superbowl.  2 minutes left in the regular game 28-20 and it ended period.  No extension.  I went to the next show and saw the celebration 28-34.   XFINITY fails again!!

New Poster

Re: ** Super Bowl LI - No Auto Extend & No Record Choice over 30 Minutes !!!!!! :-(

Same with me.  Even the on demand version cuts the game short!  Xfinity dropped the ball.  That auto-extend feature has messed my sports recordings up several times.  I'm done with it!

New Poster

Re: autoextend cut off Super Bowl ending!!

Same thing happened with us.  Recorded the game,watched it later (especially after hearing about the come from behind win!) only to have it stop BEFORE the end of the game!

Whoever is in charge of "Auto extending" the game should have to publically apologize to all of us that "did our part" (trusted the Auto Extend principle) and were totally pisted when the recording stopped!

At times when Comcast/Xfinity is loosing subscribers, you'd think they would pay attention to the "details" that user rely on.  Not so much.

Contributor

TV guide needs much improvement

This is a complaint about the TV guide inaccuracies that make it very difficult to DVR live events.

This is a complaint I have had for a long time. I'm not sure I can blame Xfinity directly. I think Xfinity has tried to create work arounds but they don't work.

I had set my DVR to record the Superbowl. The time extender was set to auto-extend. But of course the TV guide told the DVR the program (Superbowl) was over long before it was, and before the unexpected overtime. So the recording shut off and didn't catch any of the end of the game. I tried to save teh situation by taping the replay on the NFL channel. Lucky for me I could see the TV guide listed the replay as 4 hours long and I knew the game was longer than that so I also recorded the next program. So I was saved. But of course now in order to watch the game I have to save two programs and then run them in order. And the replay didn't catch any of the after game celebration.

I don't blame Xfinity except that Xfinity needs to get on the people who supply the TV guide system that the DVR's use for timing and get it to be more accurate. Both for live programming and for the replay of live programming. Someone isn't paying attention when a game runs 5 hours and they set the replay as 4 hours. How could they miss that?

So please Xfinity get the TV guide company to do a better job so we don't have to go crazy to record a program.

Thank you

Expert
Moved:

Contributor

this is STILL not fixed?  this problem was first reported quite a while ago, as this thread indicates.  I got fed up with it not working long ago, and now add 90 minutes to the record time each time I record a live event, I don't rely on this "feature" which has burned me several times now.  it is a pain to step down to the end time option and change it each time instead of just using the defaults.  but I do this, even in the hope that this feature might work someday.  but is is just amazing to me that not only is this feature not working right, but it is still the default option for live events.  wake up and smell the coffee, comcast.

Valued Contributor

I suggest you manually record any sporting event until the issue is fixed.

Guide > Select Channel Logo > Record > Set Start Time > Set Duration (Max 12 hrs.) > Confirm

I believe comcast can fix the issue by adding the same duration length to the auto extend (max 12 hrs)

Valued Contributor

Re: TV guide needs much improvement

@Windsurf wrote:

This is a complaint about the TV guide inaccuracies that make it very difficult to DVR live events.

This is a complaint I have had for a long time. I'm not sure I can blame Xfinity directly. I think Xfinity has tried to create work arounds but they don't work.

I had set my DVR to record the Superbowl. The time extender was set to auto-extend. But of course the TV guide told the DVR the program (Superbowl) was over long before it was, and before the unexpected overtime. So the recording shut off and didn't catch any of the end of the game. I tried to save teh situation by taping the replay on the NFL channel. Lucky for me I could see the TV guide listed the replay as 4 hours long and I knew the game was longer than that so I also recorded the next program. So I was saved. But of course now in order to watch the game I have to save two programs and then run them in order. And the replay didn't catch any of the after game celebration.

I don't blame Xfinity except that Xfinity needs to get on the people who supply the TV guide system that the DVR's use for timing and get it to be more accurate. Both for live programming and for the replay of live programming. Someone isn't paying attention when a game runs 5 hours and they set the replay as 4 hours. How could they miss that?

So please Xfinity get the TV guide company to do a better job so we don't have to go crazy to record a program.

Thank you

I suggest you manually set the recordings:

Guide > Select channel Logo > Record > Set Start Time > Set duration (Max 12 hrs.) > confirm

Frequent Visitor

pretty sad this this problem has been going on for a few years, and the issue is still not resolved.  I was travelling as others have posted, so was planning on watching the Super Bowl after I landed.  Did my best to not listen to anyone what the score ways ... watched the game, and my recording ended with a few minutes in regulation.  Obviously missed the comeback and OT.  What a complete and utter fail by Comcast/Xfinity ... why the f put in an option for people to select to absolutely ruin the experience for them?  I feel for the person who hosted a SuperBowl party and relied on the recording .... weill never use autoextend again ... am considering cancelling my service because I so bummed.

New Poster

• None of these solutions apply to recording an entire baseball season unless you want to extend each game manually 162 times. I wiil be ordering my TIVO tomorrow. X1 is an inferior product. 
New Poster

Re: DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Funny, last two hockey games I recorded didn't have the end of the game with this feature activated.

Official Employee

Hi pensguy76, thanks for reaching out about your auto extend concerns. I've taken a look at your DVR and I am unable to see it on my end. Please unplug and replug your DVR cable box and let me know if you come across the auto extend issue again. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

I'm in Boulder, CO, and tried to record the Rockies-Reds game on 665, Root Sports. Cut off in 7th inning. We were told two years ago that this was being fixed. Ha!