Community Forum

DVR Auto Extend Live Events

Regular Visitor

auto extend DVR does not record the whole show!

Recoreded SUPERBOWL - the only choice given on the DVR to record extended time is now "Auto extend".... we chose that option thinking it would record the whole game.

The recording however, extedned to 4:48 seconds left in the game. 

Did anyone else have this happen? 

What happened in the last minutes of the game? 

anyone? this is not ok!!!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: auto extend DVR does not record the whole show!

No, the default option is auto extend. You can still change it to stop recording 1.5 hours late, like I did.

Regular Contributor

Re: auto extend DVR does not record the whole show!

I'm sure it will be re-airing on NFL Network.  Keep an eye out if that channel is in your package.

Regular Contributor

Re: Auto Extend feature does not work...

First Phillies spring training game of the season and auto extend has let me down already!  If they can't fix this, why can't they just add the option to extend ALL of my baseball recordings by 1 hour or so?!  It really stresses me out every time when I'm watching a game and it gets near the magic 3 hour mark and it's the bottom of the 9th and I don't know if I'm going to see the ending or not.  PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!

Gold Problem Solver

You just need to manually add record time until Comcast fixes this.

Using the "DVR Manager" on the Comcast home page you can add up to two hours of record time or you can always record the following program.

@Nightwolf wrote:

First Phillies spring training game of the season and auto extend has let me down already!  If they can't fix this, why can't they just add the option to extend ALL of my baseball recordings by 1 hour or so?!  It really stresses me out every time when I'm watching a game and it gets near the magic 3 hour mark and it's the bottom of the 9th and I don't know if I'm going to see the ending or not.  PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!!

Valued Contributor

Hi Nightwolf,

Could you please provide the day and time of the baseball game that you were expecting to extend?

Thanks!

Gwen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Hi Gwen,

The Phillies game was on channel 847 (CSNHD) from 1 PM till 4 PM on March 1st.  The game was almost over when the recording ended, so I missed about the last 10 or 15 minutes.  Luckily I was able to catch it on a replay later.

Thanks for helping,

Dennis

Valued Contributor

Hi Nightwolf,

In order for a game to Auto Extend, when you're scheduling your recording, you must ensure that the "Stop" setting in the Recording Options is set to "Auto Extend." If you don't see the "Auto Extend" option there, or if that setting is set to any option other than Auto Extend, your game will not automatically extend.

Thanks!

Gwen

Regular Contributor

The Auto-Extend option is only there if I schedule a single recording.  The point I am trying to make is this:  I have the Phillies set as my favorite sports team, so the X1 will record ALL of their games for me.  Unfortunately, there is no way to set Auto-Extend for ALL live broadcasts of these games, and I don't know why.  I know I can change the stop time for just a single recording, but if I select 'All Future Recordings', the stop time option simply isn't there.  Right now the only way for me to ensure that I don't miss the end of a game is to go into Scheduled Recordings and manually change the options for each and every game.  That means I will have to do that over 180 times this year alone!  Why can't the Comcast engineers do something to make it a little easier to extend the recording time for live sports broadcasts?

Valued Contributor

Hi Nightwolf,

Yes, you are correct. Currently there is not an option to Auto Extend recordings at the Series and Team Level. If you Record an entire series or a team, the associated games will not be set to automatically extend. That is working as designed. You will need to extend the individual games at the listing level.

We recognize that it would be helpful to Auto Extend at the Series and Team level and we are working to provide that functionality.

Thanks!

Gwen

Contributor

It's now May and auto extend STILL doesn't work. Trying to record Nationals games and must record 1-3 hours of recordings after the game ends.  More frustrating is that auto extend is the default and I must change it every time I set a recording for live games.

Any fix soon or good workarounds?

Valued Contributor

Hi Mercury,

For which game did Auto Extend not work? Please provide a specific example so that we can look into what you experienced.

Thanks!

Gwen

Most Valued Poster

It happens on like 90% of my games. I set each individual Orioles game to auto extend, and it never records to the end. There no need to request a specific game or channel. Auto Extend simply does not work as it should, since inception. Make fixing auto extend + various bugs the focus before rolling out new beta features.
Contributor

I have not been using it lately because it did not work.  So I just recorded a Nationals game last night June 2nd, and it did auto extend.  So, I will try other games and let you know what happens.

Valued Contributor

@adammusic22 wrote:
It happens on like 90% of my games. I set each individual Orioles game to auto extend, and it never records to the end. There no need to request a specific game or channel. Auto Extend simply does not work as it should, since inception. Make fixing auto extend + various bugs the focus before rolling out new beta features.

Hi,

If you provide an example of a recent game that was set with "Auto Extend" as the Stop time that did not extend, we can 

investigate what you're experiencing. Thank you!

Gwen

New Poster

The Auto Extend feature failed for me tonight on the NBA Finals (last 3.5 mins of regulation).

Terrible, terrible, terrible. Just a complete fail. Never going to be able to trust it now. Always going to have to record the next show.

I'm actually frustrated enough to search and post to this forum, that's what a poor experience this has been for me.
Frequent Visitor

only works about half the time

New Poster

I've been using the Autoextend feature all baseball season to record all of the Mets games. It made me nervous at first but it has worked perfectly...until now. For the past 2 nights, the Mets-Brewers game has cut off at 3 hours- well before the game was actually over. That's 6/9 and 6/10. This is a really big deal for me.

I hate having to use the old way of extending recordings- manually extending for hours after every game. Even then, with baseball it doesn't always work. With a rain delay or extra innings, the recording may still not be long enough. Even if it is, I end up clogging up my DVR with 5 or 6 hour recordings.

This is an issue of trust. Non-sports fans may not understand but it is difficult to describe the frustration that occurs when you invest 3 hours in a game you are really excited to see only to have the recording cut out at a crucial moment. If this ever happens and I miss a no-hitter or some other major event- I'll almost certainly switch service providers simply out of anger.

For now, I just hope that you guys can fix this problem and actually provide the service that you have promised us.
Regular Contributor

I know exactly how you feel!  I also use it for Baseball, and while it works 99 percent of the time, it's that 1 percent that didn't work in the past that makes me feel anxious every time I get close to the 3 hour mark and the game isn't over yet.  I start to worry, did it record the whole game or not?  Will I need to look for a replay on TV, or just go online to find out how it ended?  And if there is a replay, then I have to fast forward through the entire game since there still isn't any way to jump directly to a certain point in a recording.  It gets very frustrating.  This issue has been unstable for so long now, it seems like they're not even trying to fix it.

New Poster

Three games in a row, Auto Extend does not work! This is so Comcast - half baked, half done features. I am going back to manually setting the end times on recordings.
Gold Problem Solver

There are other very current threads in this forum discussing Auto Extend. In those threads, Comcast Phill told us that Comcast is aware of the problem and they are working on fixing it.

@dmast wrote:
Three games in a row, Auto Extend does not work! This is so Comcast - half baked, half done features. I am going back to manually setting the end times on recordings.

Contributor

This feature hasn't worked for a long time and can't be trusted.  Why have the feature if it isn't reliable?  It's even the default when you hit record on a live broadcast so I have to take extra steps to UN-do it.  Remove it until it actually works.  

I just missed the end of a 12 inning Nationals vs Cubs game on 6/15/16 because it did extend but for only one-half hour and then stopped.  Very frustrating to say the least.

Gold Problem Solver

Please see the post just above yours.

@mercury52 wrote:

This feature hasn't worked for a long time and can't be trusted.  Why have the feature if it isn't reliable?  It's even the default when you hit record on a live broadcast so I have to take extra steps to UN-do it.  Remove it until it actually works.  

I just missed the end of a 12 inning Nationals vs Cubs game on 6/15/16 because it did extend but for only one-half hour and then stopped.  Very frustrating to say the least.

Contributor

Thanks, but where are these other current threads? Maybe they'll answer some of the questions I posted.

Gold Problem Solver

Hmmmmm

All you need to do is look at the first page of this forum and look for threads with Auto Extend in the title.........
Contributor

Looked at all of them.  Doesn't really tell you anything that this thread already said.  Posted my questions/concerns on those threads too.

Thanks anyway

Regular Contributor

Yeah, I don't know why we're getting in trouble for posting in the ORIGINAL thread about this.  Usually it's the other way around.  It's the people who started a new thread without first searching the forums to see if it was already being discussed who messed up!

Highlighted
Contributor

well this IS the first thread that appeared on my first page about auto-extend, so I will post my gripe here.

auto-extend is STILL not working.  I just lost the end of the mets-braves from last night (6/18).  it didn't record ONE MINUTE after the 3 hours originally scheduled.  this is very frustrating.  how long has it been since this feature was originally announced, over a year?  and it still does not work right, and has not been pulled?

I can go back to the old way, but it's not the default, so it takes extra clicks.  if one of the software engineers working for me couldn't debug a piece of software in this much time, I would fire them.

Most Valued Poster

Agreed. Its insane already. In the mean time make the default stop time 1.5 hours since auto extend doesnt work.

And please make the default stop time for TEAM recordings 1.5 or auto extend (when it gets fixed).
Regular Contributor

Auto-Extend has just failed me again.  Top of the 8th inning, TIED at 7, bases loaded - and the recording ends.  Words cannot express my anger and dissappointment.

New Poster

Well that was an AWFUL viewing experience...

UEFA Euro 2016 - Quarterfinal

Poland vs. Portugal

06/30/16

Match goes to extra time and one minute before penalty kicks, the recording ends right at the three hour mark! Dreadful. Hours wasted. So much for "Auto Extend." Thanks, Comcast... YA BLEW IT!!

Silver Problem Solver

From now on, add an hour or whatever to the scheduled recording.  That's what I did.  There is no way auto-extend is going to work on the soccer games.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Another failed example.  June 26, 2016. Washington Nationals 7:05 pm game; several rain delays. Did not auto extend. Sigh.

I've been auto extending AND recording shows following the game too.  What a way to go.

New Poster

Another failure example: Atlanta Falcons against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers today, 9/11/16 at 1PM EST. Auto extend did not kick in and the recording stopped at the standard 3 hours.
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Did this game record as a result of a sports team recording for either the Falcons or the Buccaneers? If so, we do not support Auto Extend at the team level. You will need to go in and set each of the individual games to "Auto Extend" in the Recording Options for the individual games. We do not yet support setting all games related to a team to Auto Extend, although that it a feature that we're working on.

If you'd like to extend games associated with their of these teams, please find the listing for the game in the guide and set that game to "Auto Extend."

Thank you,

Gwen

@Xienen wrote:
Another failure example: Atlanta Falcons against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers today, 9/11/16 at 1PM EST. Auto extend did not kick in and the recording stopped at the standard 3 hours.

Most Valued Poster

For day Orioles games i go in an specifically set Auto Extend for the specific game since its not available for teams yet. But that doesnt work. So i specifically set day games to stop at 1.5 hours.

Most Valued Poster

For day Orioles games i go in and specifically set Auto Extend for the specific game since its not available for teams yet. But that doesnt work. So i specifically set day games to stop at 1.5 hours.
New Poster

That is pure malarkey.  Obviously you subscribe to the theory that if you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with BS.  How are we to know if the autoextend is set to 'team' level and how to adjust for that.  Your DVR says "now you'll record the whole game even if it runs long."  It hasn't done that once and in fact the games haven't actually run long; it just stops at 3 hrs.  I'm going to ignore the feature entirely and record the 2 hours following each game and see if that works.  That's my solution to this utterly useless 'feature'.

New Poster

Wow, so this post is over a year old and the auto-extend feature still doesn't work?  Recording the Chicago Cubs/SF Giants playoff game last night it "auto-extended" 30 minutes.  YAY! I get to watch to the Bottom of the 8th inning (didn't even finish the bottom of the 8th).  NOT EVEN THE FULL 9 INNINGS! But wait... this game went to 13 innings.  So this should have auto-extended at least another hour if not more.  I got fooled once and thought it was a fluke with the Blackhawks going into overtime before but now shame on me and I'll just be filling up cloud storage servers with useless extra 2 hours of recordings and since it's playoffs I'll prolly find whatever show is 2 hours after and record that one for an extra 2 hours too.

I set this recording before the game even started so you can't claim the auto-extend signal wasn't sent soon enough either.

Just for additional info

Chicago Cubs @ SF Giants

Channel 237 FS1

Game Start Time: 8:30PM

New Poster

I too tried to record the SF/Cubs game last night using Auto Extend, only to have it cut off at the 3 hour mark.

Very frustrating.  I'm a Giants fan, and they went on to win that game.  Critical do-or-die playoff game.  And I missed the ending.  That's unacceptable. 

Most Valued Poster

Its been like 2 years now since auto extend was introduced and hasnt worked since its inception.

Are they even working on it or aware it doesnt work? Insanity. Come on already.

Remove it until it works 100%.

Send out an email or letter to customers, advising them to change the stop time to 1.5 hrs, until its fixed.

Contributor

Yep.  Same issue with the Nationals vs Dodgers NLDS Game 4. Auto extend again did not work. Cut off at three hours. Fortunately I have absolutely no faith in Comcast so I also recorded shows after the game.  Not really good for Comcast.

I agree that unitl it works you should allow extending recordings up to 3 hours or even any amount desired.

New Poster

Autoextend still does not work.  Cut off several minutes of the fourth quarter for the Broncos - Chargers game.

Comcast is terribly unresponsive to this longstanding problem.

New Poster

Was this fixed???

New Poster

No. It just cut off the end of the Ala/TN game.

Regular Contributor

@adammusic22 wrote:
Its been like 2 years now since auto extend was introduced and hasnt worked since its inception.

Are they even working on it or aware it doesnt work? Insanity. Come on already.

Remove it until it works 100%.

Send out an email or letter to customers, advising them to change the stop time to 1.5 hrs, until its fixed.

Agreed, especially with the following suggestion:

>>> REMOVE IT UNTIL IT WORKS 100%  <<<

Goodness, I remember reporting on this problem a year ago.  And to think the default Stop time for these recordings is still "Auto Extend". 

New Poster

Is this just a farce, a ploy to make us like exfinity only to be let down! I am SO upset that I didn't get to watch the rest of my game, trusting your recording promise. Shame on you
New Poster

Seahawks-Falcons game stopped with 2:07 to go. It recorded 3:05 so it autoextended 5 minutes. Fail....

Frequent Visitor

Failing consistently on college football for me. Just stopped the Ohio state Wisconsin game with 3 minutes in the 4th quarter.
New Poster

With Auto Extend enabled, recording stopped at the 8th inning of the 7th game of the World Series, missing the end of an historic game. A totally useless and misleading feature.  Perhaps a class action suit will wake Comcast up, to spend money on providing an accurate and reliable service and not on raising rates and buying networks such as NBC.