Community Forum

Comcast dropping MGM… for real this time?

Frequent Visitor

Comcast dropping MGM… for real this time?

Earlier this year it was rumored we would soon lose MGM.

The date came and passed, but now I finally see it announced on my bill, that I’ll lose access on Feb 1st, 2019.

Cord cutting feels more and more viable. Bill goes up and up. New fees, new reasons I have to give more. Less access. No starz on devices, no HBO GO on my TiVo. What’s next?

Will I even have the OPTION to pay for MGM?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Comcast dropping MGM… for real this time?

Keep an eye on this page. It updates every month or so. What is listed is just contracts that are up, and channels may not actually be dropped:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-programming-contract-renewals-channel-list

Regular Contributor

This does not make sense.  I thought keeping MGM HD was part of the Epix deal being brought to Comcast.  I cannot believe the contract is up already.

Contributor

Well the only MGM we have is Ondemand and much of it is movies you have to rent or buy.
Frequent Visitor

Well, it's the last day of January and MGM HD is still listed on the chopping block. So I guess tonight is the last night... sad.

Contributor

MGM is officially gone as of now. so if you want it you'll have to switch providers

Frequent Visitor

hahaha like I have a choice!!
Frequent Visitor

For the record, it’s not February 1st in my timezone so seeing a message saying to visit https://www.xfinity.com/facts/MGMHD instead of the airing of Hackers makes me very frustrated.
Regular Visitor

Why? I pay more for Comcast then ever and they Comcast drop channels like MGM. Cord cutting looks better every day !!
New Poster

Interesting, MGM just went dark on Comcast here in San Francisco, but it seems to already have been dropped in other areas last year according to a previous thread. I'm now paying around $175 per month for cable and only watch 3 or 4 channels -- MGM was one of them. And no, you won't find similar programming on other channels in HD, unedited and with only one commercial break. Ironically, cable content is gradually becoming more constrained and limited, and well, just dumbed down to the max. 

Regular Visitor

I agree I pay 175+ a month also. We watch about 12-15 channels of Comcast programs if that. I wish Comcast would do ala Carte! Where one could pick channels— sort of a Buffett. That will never happen as Comcast gas contracts they have to honor with large broadcasting companies that have clauses— say carry all of ABC network programming etc. which included Disney. After years of whining I might cut the cord this time and leave. There are more options now =YouTube, subscriptions etc.. if there was any other cable competition in my area that would help too but that’s not about to happen. Sorry for the whining and rambling post.
Frequent Visitor

Exact same with me early this morning before work. Had no idea MGM was being dropped. And of course it was one of my personal favorite channels. And ditto on others with losing and paying more every month. Try retiring, living on a budget, and working PT just to cover insurance. Life was suppose to get better not harder. It never ends until your gone.

Frequent Visitor

I view this as a defacto pricde increase.  Like how food package sizes have decreased but the price has not.   At least I wish comcast would offer me another simiar channel in HD.

New Poster

This may be the last straw that instigates cutting the cord...

They got rid of the one weather channel that was current and localized and kept one that covered the whole country - dropped CH 212 but kept 211.

The problem with the one they kept was no timely information.

Seriously looking at alternatives now.
Frequent Visitor

MGMHD is gone now -one of the better channels.

So Comcast - that frees up a slot to add another HD channel yes?

Maybe another of the starz encore channels in HD or indieplex HD?

I wont hold my breath.

New Poster

I'm appalled ast Comcast's decision to drop MGM. I think that I shall now begin top search for an alternative provider since MGM was one of trhe few Comcast's offerings that  I regularly viewed.

Paul Nevins

Boston

Frequent Visitor

Channel-Dropping...AGAIN!

Why does Comcast continue to drop channels with decent programming? Now we are without MGMHD; I suppose it will be replaced with another Hallmark/quasi-Hallmark channel because, for goodness sake, we need more year-round Christmas channels, cookie-cutter romances and cozy mysteries. Have a heart, Comcast. If you are going to continue to drop channels, at least get something comparable to replace them, or even better: LOWER our bills!!!!!!!

(And, really, would you expect a Comcast employee's reply to be a best answer? The best answer should benefit your customers, not your company.)

Contributor

From what I can tell on Comastfacts.com/MGMHD it looks  to me like MGM-HD won't allow Comcast to renew the deal so it's not Comcast's fault.Blame MGM-HD for the inalbility to watch this channe don't blame Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

Of course Comcast wants you to believe it was MGMs fault. They weren’t willing to pay what MGM was asking.
New Poster

MGM/HD

I would ask why did Comcast remove my favorite channel from the Comcast line up, but there's no answer I can accept.  All I know is you've taken it away and I and I'm sure many others would like it returned!  There are other channels that we could have done without, but not MGM/HD.   I don't want to hear about those channels that are simular to MGM/HD in the Comcast line up because they do not offer the unique programming that MGM/HD has, such as the half hour Studio Spotlight segments which offer interesting behind-the-scenes info from many of the classic films.  Boneheaded move letting this station go.  Very disappointed in Comcast right now.

New Poster

Terrible...i loved MGM's movies vs commercial riddled reality tv...out of ALL the channels, worthless i might add, they get rid of the one i like and YES...raise my bill!!!  Are you listening exectives to your customers???  Bring it back...PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New Poster

MGMHD contract termination

Perhaps there may have been a notice given, but nevertheless my husband and I were blindsided when we saw that we no longer had access to this channel. While it is not a premium channel like HBO, etc., the quality of films shown as well as the restricted commercial interruptions made this a channel we watched regularly. Definitely a cut above Paramount and other movie channels with multiple commercial interruptions. We have had Comcast phone,internet, and cable for well over 22 years, but it may be time to cut the cord with a company that seems to consistently deliver less and less for more money. I realize your company is trying to be competetive, but isn't it important to stay relevant too? I NEVER remember seeing any surveys of what I want or I watch. Looking forward to a prompt response. Thank you in advance for your response. 

New Poster

MGM Channel

I am very disappointed with the MGM channel not being availible. and CMT not being availible. Your prices are out of sight and the equiptment is poor at best. I am currently looking at other tv watching options. I have been a very loyal customer for many years. the cost of monthly tv and internet are very high, I cannot continue to think the quality and cost are worth it any longer. 

Larry Komnick

New Poster

Re: Channel-Dropping...AGAIN!

Agree. Why drop quality programming like MGM HD?  And I’m sure it will be replaced with some brainless programming. Get MGM HD back on the air!

New Poster

You do have a choice.... You can switch cable providers, or cut the cord and purchase a HD antenna.... something I'm considering doing.  Sick and tired of rising cable bills and quality stations like MGM/HD being taken away!  

Regular Visitor

Dropping MGM HD unwise and unfair

Sure, down deep it's all just a business, but certain business decisions really hurt viewers especially when lame alternatives are offered.  MGM HD was that rare jewel that showed great movies uninterrupted except for their two or three minute "intermissions" which were tolerable.  Comcast says the following are legit alternatives to MGM: FXM, Encore, IFC, Sundance, Indieplex, Reelz, and Movieplex (not including premium channels).  These are not suitable replacements because among them are various deficiencies such as no HD programming, lots of commercials, censorship, lower quality offerings, etc.  I am very hopeful that Comcast revisits and reverses this decision soon.  At a very minimum as a concession, Comcast needs to upgrade the number of HD offerings within premium channels as it makes no sense to pay big bucks for one of them, say HBO, but to only get one HD with the rest being analog.  If they are serious about networks such as Sundance and Movieplex being legitimate alternatives, then they need to upgrade a number of those to HD, as well.

Not applicable

Maybe with dropping MGM HD, EPIC channel will be added for free? Hope so. I was paying for the MGM channel. If not, my bill had better go down.
Regular Contributor

Add me to the list of people also upset that MGM was dropped. I watched movies on it regularly.

New Poster

Didn't know MGMHD was being dropped until I tried to switch channels today(2/5/2019). This is just another channel I watched regularly along with BeIN Sports that got dropped in August. How is Comcast a viable option for programming any longer. I already pay for NBC Sports Gold and ESPN+, which don't even have apps to watch them through Xfinity services which is mind boggling, and Curiosity Stream, which I can't use through Xfinity with my account even though they have an app now. I guess I need to get my wife on-board to cut the cord and drop this poor cable.

Contributor

I didn't notice anything on my bill about this. Only found out when I tried to use it this morning. Add me to those who are upset about MGM being dropped especially when bill went up not down.

New Poster

Ridiculous . This retired couple will definitely cut the cord, paying over $150 a month while Xfinity consistently ups their prices and LOWERS the quality of services.  We have been with this cable company since their office was a 2 car garage sized building downtown. I have had ongoing technical problem with set top box for 2 months that Xfinity never fixed completely, finally told me I must need a new box. My appt day arrived ( between hours of 1 & 3), couldn't wait to have problem resolved!  At 2:58 I received a call from service tech. They could not replace box because their system was down, affecting 32 states they told me. Seems a few weeks ago Comcast dropped company that held their back up in case their system went down and now  Comcast does not have ANY  back up for their system whatsoever.  Don't even know if I will miss Xfinity 🙄🤣

Frequent Visitor

The famous MGM Channel just removed Now I lose The Metro Goldman Library of 1,200 Movies to Watch for my Comcast Xfinity List and my bill was Raised 2019 By the Suits that eat you know what running Comcast. 

Happy New Year  Smiley Sad

Regular Contributor

Re: Dropping MGM HD unwise and unfair

I would like to thank Comcast for dropping MGM HD and replaceing it with WWDP on channel 818.

I can't think of anything I would like better than another channel that seems to be showing 20 hours a day of commercials.

Thanks again, Comcast. Your extreme, unrelentless and evergrowing greed is showing through.

What's next? Free cable for undocumented aliens?

Regular Visitor

MGM Channel

MGM is already cancelled in  the Chicago area.   My contract is up soon and so I get to cancel Comcast.

Frequent Visitor

I think the reason they removed MGM is because they added Epix. I have epix and it’s  pretty good.

Highlighted
Contributor

But they charge extra for Epix. I didn't have a separate charge on my bill for MGM.

Regular Contributor

This is what happens when the companies that transport the service into the home are allowed to buy up other companies that create the content that goes over their service into the home.

This is a fundamental conflict of interest. Comcast (NBC\Universal) is a direct competitor with MGM. Why would they want MGM content on their service? Why would they want to pay MGM for anything?

Meanwhile, Comcast drops channels, really good channels like MGM, as we watch our bills increase so they can spend $39 billion (yes, BILLION!) to buy Sky TV.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this picture?

New Poster

MGM

Dear Sir or Madam,

Why has my MGM channel suddenly been removed from my service?

sincerely,

(Edited for posting name)

Frequent Visitor

I’m not disagreeing with you but on a side note: MGM owns Epix which is also carried on Comcast systems. In my opinion Epix is better anyways why carry both?

Regular Contributor

@hecrafa wrote:

I’m not disagreeing with you but on a side note: MGM owns Epix which is also carried on Comcast systems. In my opinion Epix is better anyways why carry both?

Because MGM comes with the package you sign up for and Epix costs you an additional $5.99 per month?

Frequent Visitor

True but Epix show all the new movies and the older ones MGM TV premiers. So I believe they remove MGM because they will make more money with Epix and because thwhy show the same things; oh though Epix dies have good original shows too.
New Poster

MGM CHANNEL

YOU MUST GET THE MGM CHANNEL BACK OR I SHALL BE SWITCHING CARRIERS.  PLEASE RESPOND.  WHAT IS THE STATUS OF YOUR NEGOCIATIONS?  "YELLOWSTONE" IS THE BEST SHOW I'VE SEEN ALL YEAR.

Regular Visitor

Re: MGM CHANNEL

I notice no one from Comcast/Xfinity has the courage to respond.  Coming up with ways of saying that dropping channels is good for customers must be very difficult.  It comes down to money, and apparently we don't pay them enough.  There is no replacement network on that channel, but apparently the rush was necessary.

Official Employee

Re: MGM

***Validated Best Answer as of 03/2019***

Hello All, MGM HD terminated their agreement with Comcast on February 1. As a result, MGM HD is no longer available on linear broadcasts or On Demand. Customers can find similar programming on many other movie channels or on Xfinity On Demand. Comcast has no current plans to offer the channel again in the near future. We truly apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may cause. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

To say 'you can find similar programming on other channels' is disingenuous at best, since it's clearly not true. So why even bother making that assertion to customers who know better? MGM has a unique mix of interesting films, including many offbeat or overlooked titles from decades prior to the 90's, which is definitely a rarity these days. You might not even find some of these movies on TCM and certainly not on Starz or Encore. 

Contributor

Very disappointed!
Regular Contributor

Comcast says MGM dropped them.

MGM says Comcast dropped them.

Somebody is lying through their teeth!

From MGM:

"Thank you for the inquiry about MGM HD. You may have noticed a number of changes in the Comcast line-up; unfortunately we were one of a number of channels they’ve recently dropped. While we're obviously disappointed, we continue to look for other opportunities to bring the MGM content viewers crave to them through other means. Please check our website, MGMHD.com, for future developments and news."

From Comcast:

Official Employee                    02-15-2019 02:43 PM

"Hello All, MGM HD terminated their agreement with Comcast on February 1. As a result, MGM HD is no longer available on linear broadcasts or On Demand. Customers can find similar programming on many other movie channels or on Xfinity On Demand. Comcast has no current plans to offer the channel again in the near future. We truly apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may cause. "

Contributor

I appreciate the quick explanation. Too bad I just started watching it(lol).
Question. Do these deals ever get renegotiated. Any chance of compensating current customers with an additional bundled channel, ie, epic for free or something like that
Thx
Regular Contributor

@stevenk734 wrote:
I appreciate the quick explanation. Too bad I just started watching it(lol).
Question. Do these deals ever get renegotiated. Any chance of compensating current customers with an additional bundled channel, ie, epic for free or something like that
Thx

Good luck with that. I don't see that anywhere in their business model nor in my 30+ year history of being a customer of theirs. (I've never had a choice other than satellite which is a non-starter for me)

New Poster

This is very dissapointing. MGM HD was one of the only channels I regularly watched. I have a package that covers almost all pay channels, but I have to pay MORE for EPIX and you killed MGM HD. Soon there will be a tipping point where this service is no longer worth the money.