Community Forum

Comcast Houdini Effect: Disappearing Channels

Contributor

Comcast Houdini Effect: Disappearing Channels

Comcast Channels are disappearing in our package for us here in Florida. We lost numerous channels - among them being: FOOD Network, Lifetime, TruTV, etc. 

Our brief story:

We discovered this when we received a $142 bill. Our services for internet and cable TV normally runs $104.

So, needless to say, we called and the Comcast trouble went into hyperdrive!!! We were told that our one year special ended and that this was our new normal price. I asked if they had any new specials. They offered two: (1) one requiring a contract and (2) another one not requiring a contract - that was the exact same plan we presently had. I took the same plan we already had - it was even the same price - blast internet and cable TV for $104 and change per month. This was great I thought ...

But, the next day TV channels began disappearing. I thought it was merely a glitch, so I waited until the next day only to discover that even more channels had disappeared. So, I called Comcast again, again, and again, etc. I was given numerous excuses by a number of agents: (1) We’re experiencing technical difficulties and you’ll have the channels back in an hour; (2) I’ll credit you $12.77 for the missing channels which will be fixed soon; (3) Engineering is working on restoring the channels that I assure you will have back; and (4) You were never to have those channels on your plan in the first place. Comcast reset our box, reset our channel programming, made promises to call us in an hour (those calls never came), etc. Over a number of days, we spent hours of wasted time on the phone with Comcast!

There is still no consensus at Comcast on why we’re no longer receiving the channels we paid for. It’s seems to be the same every year with Comcast; the old pay more for less marketing scheme. Comcast = continuous frustration; if not technical outage issues, than billing, or sales and marketing ones. This is what a monopoly like Comcast breads. It’s not worth it IMO. 

For us, it’s time to cut the Comcast cord. 

Our whole condominium complex has been impacted and is upset over this issue. We are contacting some Comcast competitors for some better fiber optic group options. But even if these fiber optic options don’t work out, being Amazon Prime members offers us more on demand movies than Comcast, and they are in English, with better actors, and not made in the 1930s, etc. Where we reside, our cell phones with Verizon service gives us excellent internet and email service. And local channels are accessible with a HD antenna - a friend informed us that the HD quality is even better than Comcast’s (which is $10 extra per month).

We’re also writing the FCC as a group and asking them why they approve monopolies to do business in the U.S.A. Will they do something about it? News at 11, if you can receive the channel(s). 

Any other options or ideas ideas that others may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Tags (3)
Contributor

Re: Comcast Houdini Effect: Disappearing Channels

I think this is happening where I am as well.
Contributor

MikaelaArsenaul,

I’m sorry to hear that you are having similar problems. Perhaps a Comcast employee will have a solution to this situation? But as of yet no one has been able to answer why customers are paying for channels they aren’t receiving. Perhaps Comcast will respond with a solution for the both of us - and many others in our area that are having the same problem. 

Contributor

Are you getting a message saying something about how a subscription is required?
Contributor

MikaelaArsenaul,,

Thanks for the reply. Last week, we were recieving an error code informing us that our Comcast package had changed, though according to the Comcast agents (plural) it had not changed, but just renewed... 

As of today, we are receiving the wording that we need a subscription. So, apparently our Comcast package has changed though we are still paying the same amount for it. However, we have been given so many excuses by Comcast, who knows ... (see first post for the various Comcast excuses). 

Contributor

You’re welcome. I do hope this means that the channels aren’t dropped forever.
Contributor

MikaelaArsenaul,,

Great point! I don’t think the channels are dropped forever, but only that Comcast desires everyone to upgrade their packages to get the same channels as they once had at a higher price. As you know, this is what happens with a monopoly...

Unless Comcast offers a reasonable solution and answers some questions, our intent is to cancel “all” Comcast services at the end of the year and join our HOA efforts to acquire fiber optic services from another company locally. Calls went out on this today. Our Master HOA will post the results to their webpage when all the info is in. 

If this doesn’t materialize then we still have Amazon Prime, Apple TV, etc. No matter what, no more high prices for reduced service. 

Contributor

When I chatted with Comcast earlier today, they said that the channels are dropped due to an issue from the broadcasters end and the contract has ended. They are also in the middle of creating a new contract.
Contributor

MikaelaArsenaul,

Your situation may be different than ours. 

We’re missing such channels as, FOOD Network, Lifetime, etc. 

According to Comcast agents these channels are still offered by Comcast in our vicinity, but they are having technical difficulty or now they say our package no longer includes these channels so we have to upgrade, etc.

However, what’s to stop Comcast from going up on the channel prices again in 6 months, etc. It’s just not worth the constant hassle. 

Contributor

We don’t have UP, WGN, Investigation Discovery, and WE TV.
But we do have the other channels you mentioned though.
Contributor

MikaelaArsenaul,

Well than this is certainly interesting. I’ll call Comcast again and see what they say today. I’ll post when I receive an answer. 

Contributor

Alright, and good luck.

Contributor

MikaelaArsenaul,

Ok, we just phoned Comcast again. Very nice agent. 

They stated that we - and others in our HOA community - had been receiving channels - for the past year - that we weren’t suppose to have at our package level. Essentially, Comcast, without saying it in so many words, blamed the customer to make it look as if they weren’t cutting the number of our channels, as they did in 2016. The Comcast agent said she had already received numerous such calls from here in Florida; others in our HOA were probably among those. 

So, if this is Comcast’s last statement on the issue, we will be moving on to a better deal.  We will be waiting no longer than the first of the year to see what our Master HOA does. 

Contributor

@Joe-Nally wrote:

MikaelaArsenaul,

Ok, we just phoned Comcast again. Very nice agent. 

They stated that we - and others in our HOA community - had been receiving channels - for the past year - that we weren’t suppose to have at our package level. Essentially, Comcast, without saying it in so many words, blamed the customer to make it look as if they weren’t cutting the number of our channels, as they did in 2016. The Comcast agent said she had already received numerous such calls from here in Florida; others in our HOA were probably among those. 

So, if this is Comcast’s last statement on the issue, we will be moving on to a better deal.  We will be waiting no longer than the first of the year to see what our Master HOA does. 

I sure hope that the four channels come back in my area.

Contributor

MikaelaArsenaul,

I wish you the best in your endeavor to reclaim those lost channels. While we don’t watch TV that often, it’s nice to see what you desire to see when you desire to see it.  Smiley Happy

New Poster

They dropped my MeTVFm in the Chicago/Northwest Indiana area. Smiley Sad 

Contributor

I wish I could know the real reason why though.
Contributor

BbangChan,

Sorry, to hear this BbangChan. I guess this dropping of channels is not exclusive to Florida only. I hope this gets worked out for you. Have you called Comcast yet to find out why the channel(s) was dropped. 

Contributor

MikaelaArsenaul,

I agree. I wish we could get the correct answer from Comcast on the very first call! 

I begin questioning people’s integrity and honesty when I receive conflicting excuses for the same issue. It causes me to think that Comcast’s just makes up stories at times.  

Contributor

@Joe-Nally wrote:

MikaelaArsenaul,

I agree. I wish we could get the correct answer from Comcast on the very first call! 

I begin questioning people’s integrity and honesty when I receive conflicting excuses for the same issue. It causes me to think that Comcast’s just makes up stories at times.  

I wish we could get an answer from Comcast in this thread.

Contributor

MikaelaArsenaul,

Well come to think of it that would nice too 😂😂😂

Official Employee

Hello All, 

Sorry for the experience you are having. Because of what everyone is reporting here, I wanted to reach out to see if I could help. I also wanted to clarify a few things. We look at our channel lineup from time to time and realign as needed.

In some areas, there may have been channels removed due to:  

• network/contract reasons, 
  • or channel lineup changes where you would have to subscribe to a different or higher tier package in order to receive them. 

These types of changes are communicated on bills, prior to the changes taking effect. In order to confirm whether or not this is your issue, I can review your accounts and past bills.  

Please send me a message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, and the name of the account holder if it's different than yours. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

ComcastChe,

Thanks for your reply. We’ve received multiple reasons for the missing channels. You may read those in my initial post.

And now we’re missing all the HD channels in our “favorites.” We pay extra every month for HD. But we’re not receiving what we are paying for? You should be able to read all this in our account notes. 

This all happened last week when Comcast made changes - downgraded our channel line up and raised our rates without our permission. 

Technical support yesterday told me we needed a new cable box, but they refused to listen to the fact that everything was working fine until Comcast took away our channels. We don’t need a new cable box, we just need a company that will listen and acknowledge that they can make errors too. We need the channels we were promised returned for the price we agreed to pay for them. We need the HD version of these channels that we’ve already paid for. 

There are just too many of us in one area - one zip code, one HOA community - having the same problem for all this not to be related. Comcast has a system error that they refuse to investigate and repair. Instead they blame the customer and won’t repair the issue(s).

You may desire to check with MikaelaArsenaul and BbangChan, as they both were having problems as well. 

PS: I sent you the above message in email. 

Contributor

ComcastChe, I sent you a message about all of this.
Contributor

MikaelaArsenaul,

Did you ever receive a reply from Comcast? We didn’t. 

Official Employee

Hello All, 

I just clocked in and will be replying to each of you shortly, thanks. 

@Joe-Nally, I understand what you mean. And I just want to make sure I am being transparent as well as setting the correct expectations for everyone moving forward. In some cases, we may not be able to get you the same channels that you had in a previous package. If there was a change to the lineups, and you are put into a new package, the old one may no longer be available to offer. If the channels are available, but in a different package, you would have to upgrade in order to receive it. However, if any of the channels you lost are associated with an agreement we had with the network, and we no longer carry the channel, then we can't provide it at all. I can verify this for you and will reply to your private message. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

@Joe-Nally

Yes.

New Poster

Every Comcast employee will tell you something different. Don’t even bother calling headquarters. There response is “TOO BAD for you “
New Poster

Can’t get a subscription. I tried
New Poster

The one person I talked to was really rude. He said I will never get them back
New Poster

Don’t count on it I was told they were never coming back. HELLO DISH NETWORK. I will be calling you
New Poster

Bet they got another different story for you
New Poster

They just blow you off with excuses. Everyone of them is different
Official Employee

@Jared83

Thanks for your feedback. If you need confirmation, I can assist you. Please send me a private message with your first and last name. 

New Poster

Xfinity is deceptive. Not informed of losing channels with upgrade. Can’t wait to get another provider.
New Poster

I actually had one representative tell me to get Riki
Contributor

ComcastChe,

Thanks for your reply and while I appreciate your efforts, WE DID NOT CHANGE PACKAGES - just renewed our old package. It’s been nearly two weeks and we’re missing HD and a bunch of channels and no one at Comcast will give me a straight answer. While they apologize for all the different answers we’ve recieved and say that they are wrong and theirs is right they do nothing about the problems. 

Official Employee

Sorry you feel that way @Joe-Nally. As I mentioned in your private message, even though you only renewed your package, the changes to those lineups/channels took effect and were communicated prior to you renewing.

Because the changes were already made the only way to get them back is to upgrade to a lineup that has those channels. If the channels are no longer available for us to provide, then no, we will no be able to get them back. 

Frequent Visitor

ComcastChe,

Thanks for the reply, but it is “not” accurate. Please listen to the recordings of our renewal. Nothing - absolutely nothing - was communicated to me about losing channels by the Comcast Representative prior to us renewing. We renewed but we’re promised the same package as we had before. Nothing about missing channels was even hinted at, much less stated. 

Indeed, if something had been said about it, why have we been given so many other excuses by Comcast - it’s a technical issue, here’s $12.77 for your inconvenience, etc. If it was previously communicated to us why didn’t they just repeat it? The fact is losing channels wasn’t communicated at all until MANY CALLS and MANY DAYS later. I had to call your executive CS in Alabama to finally get that answer. And after so many excuses - and we can now add yours to them - what is a customer to believe? 

And where’s our HD? Was it communicated to us prior to us renewing that we would be paying for it and not receiving it too? 

ComcastChe, I’m asking that this matter be sincerely and genuinely followed up on. 

Official Employee

@Joe-Nally

I understand. I'd be more than happy to look further into this. I asked if you could verify your first and last name in our private messages so I can do so, but haven't received the information needed to access your account.

I'm not sure why this wasn't communicated before now, and I want to apologize on behalf of my peers, as well as make sure you have the right info moving forward. Can you verify your first and last name and the name of the account holder in our private message? 

Frequent Visitor

ComcastChe,

You have mail. As stated in our mail message, if this is not resolved by Saturday then we’re dropping Comcast - we may anyway. 

It’s Christmas and we’re discussing Comcast. This shouldn’t be. 

Expert

@Calvin513 wrote:

ComcastChe,

You have mail. As stated in our mail message, if this is not resolved by Saturday then we’re dropping Comcast - we may anyway. 

It’s Christmas and we’re discussing Comcast. This shouldn’t be. 

Your reply here is not very helpful. The problem is being worked on. I was treasurer for 26 years in our association. I still live there since our TH's were built. I hope you have considered all consequences from any changes being made by your board. We allow alternate options. 

Your type of complaint should be discussed only in private messaging.  Not on a open forum.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

@MNtundraRET wrote:

Your reply here is not very helpful. The problem is being worked on. I was treasurer for 26 years in our association. I still live there since our TH's were built. I hope you have considered all consequences from any changes being made by your board. We allow alternate options. 

Your type of complaint should be discussed only in private messaging.  Not on a open forum.

Respectfully, the whole truth always matters MNtundraRET. Comcast should want this matter discussed and resolved so all may benefit from some actual research on it. Look at the thread. Others here have contacted Comcast with similar situations. While you are certainly entitled to an opinion, IMO a public forum is a perfect place for this problem to be discussed and resolved. You do realize don’t you that your (and ComcastChe’s) own signature line includes the statement, “We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation”?

We - and others - have dealt with this situation and have been given multiple different reasons for losing some of our channels “for weeks.” Why all the excuse discrepancies? Why all the misinformation from numerous Comcast employees? We were even given a $12.77 credit for lack of receiving certain channels, but why if the channels were not suppose to be in our channel package anyway? So, “being worked on” hasn’t been Comcast’s genuine record on this particular situation. 

Why do I continue to think this? 

We have been told on the phone that our situation has been investigated numerous times. Even ComcastChe - a Comcast employee - above stated in writing on ‎12-11-2018 at 11:42 PM , “As I mentioned in your private message, even though you only renewed your package, the changes to those lineups/channels took effect and were communicated prior to you renewing.” However, a day later on 12-12-2018 at 10:46 PM ComcastChe stated, “I asked if you could verify your first and last name in our private messages so I can do so, but haven't received the information needed to access your account.” So, ComcastChe needed more information to even access our account. So, he hadn’t listened to the original recordings of our renewal when he made his 12-11-2018 comment! So, he couldn’t know if the changes to our channel lineup had been communicated or not? They weren’t communicated!!!

So, call us skeptical. 

But I’m hoping that Comcast will fully investigate this matter. Perhaps, I misunderstood something they may have been said. But in re-listening to our conversations I haven’t heard it yet. Perhaps Comcast will see their error - if they had one - and be enabled to better serve and communicate with their customers not only here on this forum - which exists in part for airing problems - but in their telephone communications as well. 

This said, we don’t desire to deal with this thru Christmas, so we have a time table. What should have taken one phone call has taken weeks - still with no resolution. It’s time for this situation to end one way or the other. So, our deadline is Saturday. 

PS: Our HOA Board isn’t foolish. For you to even imply such reveals just how unhelpful your reply has been. 

Frequent Visitor

It’s finished. We just cancelled Comcast TV. 

Official Employee

@Calvin513

Sorry, you feel this way. My reasoning for asking for his information was so I could go back and review his bill and provide him with a date that we sent communication about the changes as well as letting him know what package he would need to upgrade to in order to receive the channels, or if the channels were no longer available like I mentioned in my response on 12/5/18 9:546 PM. Even in your situation, I would need the same from you so I could confirm and very this information. I apologize on behalf of my peers who may have provided other information, but I am trying to be as transparent as possibly letting everyone know why you are no longer receiving channels you were before. If you have the chance, you can also go back through your previous bills to support the information I provided. The communications were sent out between November 2017-March 2018 depending on the market you are in and when the changes were taking effect. 

I will review your message and reply shortly. 

Contributor

@ComcastChe wrote:

Sorry, you feel this way. My reasoning for asking for his information was so I could go back and review his bill and provide him with a date that we sent communication about the changes as well as letting him know what package he would need to upgrade to in order to receive the channels, or if the channels were no longer available like I mentioned in my response on 12/5/18 9:546 PM. Even in your situation, I would need the same from you so I could confirm and very this information. I apologize on behalf of my peers who may have provided other information, but I am trying to be as transparent as possibly letting everyone know why you are no longer receiving channels you were before. If you have the chance, you can also go back through your previous bills to support the information I provided. The communications were sent out between November 2017-March 2018 depending on the market you are in and when the changes were taking effect. 

I will review your message and reply shortly. 

Thanks for your research. I really appreciate it. Though this is 2018, I was able to locate our channel lineup on our Dec. 31, 2017 bill.

According to the Comcast Dec. 31, 2017 bill, we have the Digital Economy Comcast Package, which also includes the Comcast Limited Basic package.  On page 7,  it actually shows that we should have all the channels we are now missing? See image below. 

We checked all the bills going forward from this point in time and none of them include a new channel lineup or state that we should be now missing the channels mentioned above - among them being: FOOD Network, Lifetime, TruTV, etc. ? I do see that on the Oct 2018 bill a sentence adding channels, “Effective October 9, 2018, the following channels are available in the Xfinity TV Digital Economy Package: Bravo, CNBC, Gold Channel, MSNBC, NBC SN, Oxygen and SyFy.” If I’m missing something here please show me. 

So, according to the bills these changes to our channel lineup were not communicated in advance to us!

The image below shows all but 4 of our Digital Economy channels and 7 of our Limited Basic channels (Including them would make the image too large).

So, I ask again why are we still missing channels? Besides this we are still due an app. $38 credit, etc.

A4CA0B30-35EB-468D-957A-628C2337A81B.jpeg

Contributor

ComcastChe,

I just called Comcast Billing. They reportedly just took care of two credits; (1) for $37.83 (reducing bill to proper amount of $104 and change) and (2) for $5.99 for a movie that Comcast records revealed that we never accessed or watched.

So, you don’t have to follow-up in these issues ...

Contributor

@Joe-Nally wrote:

ComcastChe,

I just called Comcast Billing. They reportedly just took care of two credits; (1) for $37.83 (reducing bill to proper amount of $104 and change) and (2) for $5.99 for a movie that Comcast records revealed that we never accessed or watched.

So, you don’t have to follow-up in these issues ...

Well the two credits didn’t go as planned either.

I was told to look out for an email. I did but I didn’t receive it. So, I called Comcast back. Apparently the other Comcast Agent didn’t do it right. So, this new Agent reportedly re-issued the $5.99 credit. However, they need to investigate the $37.83 credit yet again. I’m suppose to receive a call back by Tuesday @ 2PM on this larger credit.

Missing channels and credits. The Comcast woes continue. 

Official Employee

Hi @Joe-Nally

I've replied to your private message with more information about your channel lineup changes and the lowest package required to received each channel you mentioned. There's also some information about channels that are no longer provided by us. and notes about the credit. Chat with you soon. 

Frequent Visitor

Calvin,
You’re absolutely correct! The representatives have NOT been telling customers about missing channels if they make any type of changes and this is clearly evident under a thread about missing ID Discovery channel!! And many of us complained about the different excuses we were given depending on the day and the Comcast Representative!
The open forums are exactly where these topics are discussed so that all of see we’re not alone and are dealing with the same complaints and the same runaround responses from Comcast. The ONLY reason for a private email or discussion should be where personal information is being disclosed!
Comcast: your customer service is abysmal and you don’t seem to care! And the dropping of channels without informing us, especially mid contract outrageous! Your reputation is not horrible for no reason!! I even read an article where your management staff is well aware of the ‘missing channels’ issue but said they don’t care because they make the money up elsewhere!!
So yes Calvin, you’re absolutely right in everything you said!!