Community Forum

Comcast Dropping MGM HD

Regular Contributor

Comcast Dropping MGM HD

I just noticed in my latest bill that Comcast will be dropping MGM HD on June 1st.  I remember about 4 years ago they wanted to drop it but enough customers must have 

complained because they left it on.  Please do not drop this channel.  It is one of my favorite movie channels.

Problem Solver

Re: Comcast Dropping MGM HD

There probably gonna drop it in my area too I haven't got this months bill yet

What is comcast doing? dropping all the channels? no there touching the movie channels?

There better not be a price raise this year we are losing all type of content left and right the past two years.

Direct tv is looking better everyday.

If you push a man far enough he will jump this is a warning stop dropping channels.

Admin1

Hi kab1 & Pharrell -- We regularly evaluate our channel lineups and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering customers a wide variety of content at the best value. As part of this ongoing evaluation, we decided to discontinue offering the MGM HD channel that was previously included in the Digital Preferred package on June 1, 2018. Comcast has no current plans to offer the channel again in the near future.

Frequent Visitor

That's disappointing--I often watch movies offered on that channel.  (I suppose it will slow the rate at which my DVR keeps filling up...)

Regular Visitor

That's disappointing news and a bad choice as far as I am concerned. Comcast continues moving in the wrong direction regarding content, instead pushing their On Demand offerings while simultaneously ignoring the often better variety offered by providers such as MGM HD.

Cable used to be about ever-growing variety and choice. Unfortunately, that continues to erode and slip away. The current on-screen guide is littered with links to Comcast's On Demand content. They even regularly take over two of the available nine spots on X1's "last watched" screen to promote paid or otherwise heavily sponsored offerings. Their junky promotions in an already too-limited space (supposedly reserved for customers' use) is disheartening. This week they are using it to promote binge watching of unknown programs. Click bait has come to our cable boxes! We pay a lot of money for exclusivity that the company often ignores. Comcast continues to test the loyalty and retention value of longtime subscribers.

Regular Contributor

I too watch MGM HD.  If they drop it in my area also then that will be the final straw with Comcast.  In fact, I just checked a movie EXCLUSIVELY available on MGM HD On Demand and observed it is only available until MAY 31.  So, I presume will also be dumped in my region on June 1.  If so and if Comcast does not reduce their price due to dropping channel ( I PAY COMCAST FOR AT INSANE PRICING) ---------------  then GOODBYE COMCAST! 

Stephen L

Regular Visitor

I wished they would drop the shopping networks, the golf channel and a ton of other channels I never watch.  lol  I wished they would come out with a decently priced  pkg that gave me all of my local broadcast channels, the weather channel, and 20 other channels of my choice on HD (  Everything should be in HD now) at no additional cost for box..... and then make the premium channels available.

Cable TV and internet service is getting so expensive that my days of watching cable and surfing the net  is coming to a close.  I;ll just email from my phone. 

I remember going to a political  rally in 1990 in Ocala where Clinton and Gore told us our cable tv was going to be cheaper .  Gore had just come down from DC after a cable tv bill vote.   LOL!

Regular Contributor

FROM COMCAST ZACH

(AN OFFICIAL COMCAST EMPLOYEE) 
 Thus he is WE (being Comcast)!

Hi kab1 & Pharrell -- We regularly evaluate our channel lineups and sometimes make changes to ensure we're offering customers a wide variety of content at the best value. As part of this ongoing evaluation, we decided to discontinue offering the MGM HD channel that was previously included in the Digital Preferred package on June 1, 2018. Comcast has no current plans to offer the channel again in the near future.

Thus, ----- Comcast customers are not customers they are VICTIMS!   Thus agiain when Comcast dumps MGM-HD I dump Comcast.  I checked today  MGM-HD is available on both Direct TV and Dish!

Regular Contributor

RE THIS ANNOYING COMCAST POP-UP:

Tell us what you think

After your visit, can you take a brief survey and tell us how we did?
I do and after replying ----------it responds ---Can't be submitted!
Why?  Perhaps because is not a positive review of Comcast!

Regular Contributor

@SLannes wrote:

I too watch MGM HD.  If they drop it in my area also then that will be the final straw with Comcast.  In fact, I just checked a movie EXCLUSIVELY available on MGM HD On Demand and observed it is only available until MAY 31.  So, I presume will also be dumped in my region on June 1.  If so and if Comcast does not reduce their price due to dropping channel ( I PAY COMCAST FOR AT INSANE PRICING) ---------------  then GOODBYE COMCAST! 

Stephen L

No one's going to stop you, they budget for you leaving. And 4 others to take your place.

Regular Contributor

Survey  popped up again. My answer suceeded this time.  (second time).  Weird!

Regular Contributor

RE: No one's going to stop you, they budget for you leaving. And 4 others to take your place.

I agree! Maybe 5 or 6  perhaps lured with six month deals for new subscribers only

I'm sure they won't miss my business (loyalty).

Whole point of me switching from Comcast  is if they dump content I want, use and pay for then why stay? 

New Poster

I agree.  This stinks, Comcast!  I am paying more and more all the time and now you’re dropping a movie channel that plays different movies!  The pay channels repeat the same movies over and over and there are only a few non-pay movie channels.

This is what happens when you give companies monopolies!

Official Employee

Hey @k216

Sorry you feel this way. Comcast still offers many channels that show movies within the same tier of service, including Encore, Fuse, IFC, Indeplex, Reelz, Movieplex, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and more. Movies are also available On Demand under the Free Movies menu. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Prices and mysterious fees keep going up and then they take away one of the better channels. Disappointing.
New Poster

So, when you raise monthly rates PLUS cut one of the channels with unique programming on it we’re supposed to LIKE it?

How about really answering the question why it’s being dropped?  

Most of your stations play the same programs over and over again or play small niche programs that very few people watch, like CMT, One, Bounce, OWN, Ion, Freeform, POP, FYI, We, the multiple religious and shopping channels.  

Official Employee

The decision to remove this channel was determined by the network, not Comcast, as well as the programs that are broadcasting on TV. We only provide the service. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I too love the MGM channel. You guys keep dropping channels and raising rates. Why? Please provide a list of channels you’ve added in the past two years? There were many you dropped. I’m on my way to streaming my cable so I can chose what I want for half the cost.
Official Employee

Hi dellapple, 

We apologize for the inconvenience. Any changes to customers packages are communicated on your monthly statements months in advance. Feel free to reach out if you have any concerns in the future. 

Contributor

Can you please tell me why you have this category for people to request new channels?  When have you added any new channels?   I would love to see a list of all of the Comcast channels and the date they were added!  I somewhat get it, you really can't raise rates, so the other thing is to take away channels.  Makes sense!  But please, stop asking people for their request.  

Official Employee

dellapple, new channels added to the line up are also communicated on your monthly bill.