Community Forum

Broadcast fees

Frequent Visitor

Broadcast fees

When I get my Comcast cable bill, on the statement there is a special area that talks about fees and additional charges.  About two years ago "broadcast fees" increased by $3 a month.  A year ago it increased another $2.50 a month.  What is this?  Apparently according to the Minnesota Attorney General's office there is no regulation for broadcast fees by cable companies.  Does this need to be regulated?  I could see no change in my viewing experience because of these increases, or are these technology upgrades I just do not understand?

Official Employee
Moved:

Re: Broadcast fees

Placeholder: Removed for inflammatory remarks.

Official Employee

Re: Broadcast fees

Hello helphelphelp. 

The Broadcast TV Fee is an itemized charge that recovers a portion of the costs of re-transmitting broadcast television signals. Broadcast stations have the right to charge for their signals, and cable provides like Comcast end up paying substantial fees in order to carry them. Periodically, prices must be adjusted due to increases incurred in programming and other business costs. Adjustments are largely driven by programming costs, sports programming as well as the continued pressure for technological innovation and increased bandwidth.

We sincerely appreciate your business.