Community Forum

Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

Contributor

Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

I live in San Francisco and over the past 3 months Comcast/xfinity has been converting their non-terrestrial (cable) channels to h264 video format.  h264 -- is vastly superior to MPEG2 (think Bluray vs DVD), but what started out with 1080i MPEG2 went to 1080i h264 and now EVERY "HD" channel is now transcoded to or downscaled to 720p video -- EVERY ONE!

While 720p meets the minimum requirnment to be called "HD" it does not meet today's standard for HD which is "understood" by the average consumer to be "1080."

When commercials by Xfinity compare the number of "HD" channels they offer to Dish or DirecTV, they are implying that one HD signal is equal to the others -- which they are NOT!  720p is not as sharp as 1080i or 1080p (which many broadcasters distribute there HD signal in).

Even HBO is now being downcoverted from 1080i to 720p!!! It's bad enough that only 1 HBO station in my area is HD, but to then downconvert what was a sharp image to a downcoverted bit-starved 720 image is downright insulting and wrong!

• Think your not affected by this change? 
  • Do you watch these channels???? 
  • If you do, then your also getting cheated!

Here is the list I have compiled -- These are stations that WERE 1080i as recently as July 2016 and are now downcoverted to 720p -- check for yourself!  I have been checking once per week and have archived my findingings with sample recordings from each channel.

734 A&E

798 AMC

751 Animal Planet

733 Bravo

766 Cartoon Network

759 CNN

745 Comedy Central

771 Destination America

753 E!

742 Esquire

779 Fuse

772 FYI

749 Golf Channel

793 Hallmark

794 Hallmark Movies & Mysteries

746 HGTV, Home & Garden Television

758 History Channel

774 HLN, Headline News

790 IFC, Independant Film Channel

804 Investigation Discovery

795 Lifetime

796 LMN, Lifetime Movie Network

787 MSNBC

782 MTV

767 Nickelodeon

756 Science Channel

743 Spike

789 TCM, Turner Classic Movies

755 Travel Channel

740 tvOne

754 Velocity

781 VH-1

791 WE

Those are only the channels that I have personally verified and have archived sample recordings from.  All the channels mentioned above were tested again today, Saturday Nov 5th, 2016. 

You can look at the document attached document for date, time, channel, program etc.  The samples are too short to evaluate bitrate so please understand that these limited sample recordings only serve one small purpose.

-John
Frequent Visitor

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

Agreed: bring back 1080i video to all the channels that chose that format!

Apparently, Comcast has ignored the wishes of the actual content providers. For example, check out the HBO website: they clearly state that THEIR hd signal is 1080i.

Here in Pittsburgh, PA, the downversion of all 1080i hd signals to 720p is complete: HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, Encore, Discovery, BBC America, CNN, SyFy, Comedy Central, etc., etc.

The loss of picture quality is obvious and ridiculous.

Regular Contributor

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

Wasn't there an unflattering "The Cable Guy" comedy movie with Jim Carey made years ago around 1996?

Unfortunately, I can't find it OnDemand.

Contributor

Thanks for posting!

Just an FYI, roughly 75% of all cable networks broadcast in a native resolution of 1080i. So basically, Comcast has degraded the picture quality of the overall majority of the cable networks, just so they can jam pack another channel or two into a single QAM slot. 

To be clear, Comcast clearly does not give a darn about picture quality.

I'll be dropping everything but the local channels, down to Limited Basic, and then after the first of the year I'll be dropping Comcast TV altogether and be using DirecTV. I suggest all others who care about picture quality do the same. The only way Comcast will change the path they are on is if they start to lose subscribers, otherwise we're just urinating into the wind.

The sad fact is, most subscribers don't care about picture quality and Comcast knows this, and I have zero faith this decision will ever be reversed.

Money talks, posting on Internet forums and reading technically incorrect and lame responses from Comcast personnel regarding this issue is insulting to the intelligence of those who know better. If I was a Comcast employee/personnel posting the ridiculously stupid post that ComcastTeds made on this subject I'd be ashamed of myself, they should have a little self-respect instead of posting such nonsense.

Regular Contributor

KeenanSR wrote:

Thanks for posting!

Just an FYI, roughly 75% of all cable networks broadcast in a native resolution of 1080i. So basically, Comcast has degraded the picture quality of the overall majority of the cable networks, just so they can jam pack another channel or two into a single QAM slot. 

To be clear, Comcast clearly does not give a darn about picture quality.

I'll be dropping everything but the local channels, down to Limited Basic, and then after the first of the year I'll be dropping Comcast TV altogether and be using DirecTV. I suggest all others who care about picture quality do the same. The only way Comcast will change the path they are on is if they start to lose subscribers, otherwise we're just urinating into the wind.

The sad fact is, most subscribers don't care about picture quality and Comcast knows this, and I have zero faith this decision will ever be reversed.

Money talks, posting on Internet forums and reading technically incorrect and lame responses from Comcast personnel regarding this issue is insulting to the intelligence of those who know better. If I was a Comcast employee/personnel posting the ridiculously stupid post that ComcastTeds made on this subject I'd be ashamed of myself, they should have a little self-respect instead of posting such nonsense.

I just saw an Xfinity TV commercial where the ad states that Comcast is focusing all their efforts on "Customer Service" to make appointment scheduling easier and have them fit into "our" lives and schedule rather than their's.

Picture Quality apparently has been tossed under the bus as you implied and I agree.

In my opinion, this misguided approach by Comcast will have future negative consequences for their bottom line when the tiny SmartPhone screen Mobile viewing craze bubble bursts and quickly fades into history due to increasingly serious and dangerous hacker security issues with Moible device usage, regardless of what self-proclaimed Tech gurus preach about what the future holds.

Mobile device security (or lack thereof) has already become an embarrassing issue during the current election cycle.

There are a lot of young and very naive Mobile device users in this country that eventually will regret the day they used a Mobile device just once too often after they too get compromised regarding their person information security ..... either locally from their Mobile devices or from their so-called secure Cloud backup storage providers.

I'll take a good old fashioned hard-line phone (plus a simple dumb cell phone for emergencies), hardwire ethernet HSI router cabling and Comcast RG6 cable to my large screen HDTVs and DVRs w/o any Cloud storage or home WiFi 8 days a week (with a focus on more/better PQ and a bit less focus on customer service for the wandering semi-homeless and semi-employed Mobile users of today).  For me , it's a contrarian play from what all the so-called experts on Wall St and Silicon Valley are prediciting for the future of Mobile ..... just a novelty in my opinion for most people who do not travel for work or run businesses.

Expert

As you can see by all the escalating complaints, their "On Demand" over Internet is a real mess and in free fall.

And they keep messing with their core business of linear cable and "On Demand" cable which were almost trouble free over the years, by now arbitrarily down-grading the signal out-put to us. I guess they never noticed 720p televisions are no longer produced except in third world countries.

I guess with all their advertising most people just signed up are past their 30 day period to cancel service and are stuck on a 2 year contract.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Problem Solver

They offered 2 year contracts right before they started the downgrade.

Contributor

Pharrell wrote:

They offered 2 year contracts right before they started the downgrade.

An I was one of the idots who signed the contract.....  

-John
Regular Visitor

So much for my new 4k tv!

Regular Contributor

I have been posting about this in other threads on these forums for month or so now. At first I thought it was me or my equipment. It is not. The quality is awful since this change. I am in NW suburbs of chicago.

Interestingly ondemand for these channels still shows the better quality.

I plan to leave after my contract as well.
Frequent Visitor

I'm curious how you were able to get the detailed stream parameters for each of the channels? Do you have a TIVO box, or...? I myself can record to my PC via the firewire port on the Motorola cable box, and then I just look at the codec data available in VLC Player for the resulting video file. I live in the Seattle area and I'm not sure how many channels Comcast has downgraded to 720p at this point, orher than MSNBC and the Hallmark Channel, which I have verified.
Regular Contributor

I thought I would link the post where others and I talk about our story with this in case anyone is interested.  It started off with thinking something was wrong with our lines or equipment but we discovered the "upgrade". I also point out some posts over at broadband reports about this in this thread.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Picture-Quality-Poor-for-all-programming-Live-TV-On-Demand-DVR/m-p/2...

Contributor

drnetwork wrote:
I'm curious how you were able to get the detailed stream parameters for each of the channels? Do you have a TIVO box, or...? I myself can record to my PC via the firewire port on the Motorola cable box, and then I just look at the codec data available in VLC Player for the resulting video file. I live in the Seattle area and I'm not sure how many channels Comcast has downgraded to 720p at this point, orher than MSNBC and the Hallmark Channel, which I have verified.

I use a program called, "MediaInfo" to collect the data, it is quick and simple.  I can drag and drop a directory of media files onto the GUI and then export my findings.

It's not the most through, but it is simple, flexible and recognizes many formats -- with little to no fuss.

I am using Windows Media Center with a pair of Ceton InfiniTV6 tuners.  I can easily go through my Guide and manually start and stop several recordings at once.  I usually capture about 8 channels wait a minute and then stop them, and move to the next batch of channels.

When I've recorded all the channels, I collect the recordings that are under 5 minutes, drop them into MediaInfo and then export the results to html or txt or csv, etc.

Then I zip those recordings up and store them offline incase they are needed in the future.

-John
Regular Contributor

KeenanSR wrote:

If I was a Comcast employee/personnel posting the ridiculously stupid post that ComcastTeds made on this subject I'd be ashamed of myself, they should have a little self-respect instead of posting such nonsense.

Like this response from their feedback department... notice the line "We only broadcast the signal the station provider give to us."  That's a lie.

Dear Ms. Ziobro,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail the Office of Tom Karinshak, my name is Shauna. I will be assisting you today.

I understand from your e-mail that you are upset about the picture quality that you are currently receiving. I truly apologize for the frustration this may have caused and thank you for bringing this to our attention. I can understand how this can cause frustration.

You stated in your e-mail that you are receiving DVD like picture quality due to it being downgraded from 1080i to 720p. We only broadcast the signal the station provider give to us. Our customer's do the have the option to change the picture quality on their set-top box themselves. Below I have provided you with some tips on how to change the settings on your X1 set-top box:

• To access settings, press the XFINITY button on your remote and arrow over to the gear icon
  • In Device Settings, there are a few items to consider but go to Video Display.
  • In Video Display, you may need to tweak two settings to adjust the video output so that it matches the aspect ratio and resolution of your TV. If you have an HDTV, then make sure Zoom is set to NONE. Any magnification of the screen image results in a degradation of video quality.
  • For the other setting here, Video Output Resolution, make sure it is set to the resolution that matches your HDTV

Ms. Ziobro, thank you again for contacting us and allowing us to assist you with your picture quality. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reply back. As a reminder, you can also visit your YouTube channel for how-to demonstration and also our online website at https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/x1/UsingXFINITYX1/.

Sincerely,

Shauna G.

Office of Tom Karinshak

Contributor

charissamz wrote:

KeenanSR wrote:

If I was a Comcast employee/personnel posting the ridiculously stupid post that ComcastTeds made on this subject I'd be ashamed of myself, they should have a little self-respect instead of posting such nonsense.

Like this response from their feedback department... notice the line "We only broadcast the signal the station provider give to us."  That's a lie.

Dear Ms. Ziobro,

It is a lie. You should respond back indicating as such, I'd be very curious, first if you even get a response and two, what they say.

Regular Contributor

KeenanSR wrote:

charissamz wrote:

KeenanSR wrote:

Dear Ms. Ziobro,

It is a lie. You should respond back indicating as such, I'd be very curious, first if you even get a response and two, what they say.

I did and this is what they said, basically just blew me off.

Good morning Ms. Ziobro,

My name is Sheri. I work in the office with Shauna. I can understand
your concern and want to thank you for taking the time to voice your
concerns. I want you to know that we take your feedback seriously and it
will be heard and taken into consideration. I again apologize for your
frustration, and thank you for taking the time to e-mail our office.

Have a great Tuesday.

Sheri

Original Message Follows: ------------------------

Actually "We only broadcast the signal the station provider give to us."
is not true anymore and is why I sent this. I wish that were still true!

Comcast has made it part of their process now to downconvert all 1080i
content to 720p in an effort to free up bandwidth which has resulted in
loss of picture quality, now every channel is now transcoded to or downscaled to 720p video.

This has nothing to do with box settings, TV settings, etc.  You can
read more about it or ask around. This practice will cause me to flip back to DirecTV.

Thank you

Regular Contributor

If anyone else feels like voicing their feedback here is where I submitted this. I am not sure if this is the best way but it is all I can do until I cancel.

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/vp-contact-form

Contributor

I figured you'd get something that, this decision has been made way up the line so what a CSR says amounts to little more than a hill of beans.

Thanks for the effort, and I'll be joining you at DirecTV after the first of the year as well!

Contributor

They obviosly aren't listening to their customers.

The FCC is ACTIVELY looking into my claims.  I would highly recommend that ALL OF YOU make similar claims to show the FCC that this is a wider issue.

Comcast will be submitting their response to the FCC with regards to MY complaint on or before the Nov 12th.

They already told me what would NOT be in their response:  They will NOT be stating that 1080i channels are now being distributed as lower resolution 720p signals.

Please add your voice!!!!

FCC Consumer Complaint Center

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us 

Once your complaint is submitted, you will recive an email like this:

Thank you for your submission. Your request has been received and assigned Ticket No. 12345678. Throughout the complaint process, you will receive periodic emails updating you about the status of your complaint.
If you have information to add to your complaint or questions about your complaint, please respond directly to this email.

-John
Contributor

this is my complaint: I don't know if others can view it, but I believe it is public

johnfreiman wrote:

The FCC is ACTIVELY looking into my claims.  I would highly recommend that ALL OF YOU make similar claims to show the FCC that this is a wider issue.

Comcast will be submitting their response to the FCC with regards to MY complaint on or before the Nov 12th.

They already told me what would NOT be in their response:  They will NOT be stating that 1080i channels are now being distributed as lower resolution 720p signals.

Thank you for your submission. Your request has been received and assigned Ticket No. 12345678. Throughout the complaint process, you will receive periodic emails updating you about the status of your complaint.
If you have information to add to your complaint or questions about your complaint, please respond directly to this email.

https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/requests/1284934

-John
Regular Contributor

I filed a complaint as well. I will see where it goes. I dont expect much but figured why not until I move back to DirecTV when my contract is up.

Regular Contributor

johnfreiman wrote:

johnfreiman, I just received a voicemail from Comcast after my FCC complaint. I have yet to call back but will when I get a break from work.  What can I expect in this call?  Did Comcast basically say that they are not converting/manipulating the signal?

Frequent Visitor

Thank you, johnfreiman, for giving us the details on your method for determining the stream parameters for the Comcast channels you posted recently.  I would probably try to purchase one of the Ceton tuners for myself, if they were still available.  The company seems to have almost gone out of business, although they still have a web site.  Microsoft didn't do them any favors by getting rid of WMC in Windows 10.  Fortunately, my firewire method of recording still works fine, even with the switch to MPEG-4 on so many channels.  Of course, it does not work on premium channels such as HBO, since those are not flagged as copy-freely in the video stream.

Contributor

Comcast hasn't said ANYTHING regarding the down-conversion of 1080i to 720p -- EXCEPT that they will get back to me on that.....   Ha!

That was 6 weeks ago, again 4 weeks ago and last week.  Same tune; differnt day.

charissamz wrote:

johnfreiman wrote:

johnfreiman, I just received a voicemail from Comcast after my FCC complaint. I have yet to call back but will when I get a break from work.  What can I expect in this call?  Did Comcast basically say that they are not converting/manipulating the signal?

-John
Contributor

johnfreiman wrote:

Comcast hasn't said ANYTHING regarding the down-conversion of 1080i to 720p -- EXCEPT that they will get back to me on that.....   Ha!

That was 6 weeks ago, again 4 weeks ago and last week.  Same tune; differnt day.

And I doubt they will, they've already stated why they're doing and the fact that they haven't had massive subscribers losses tells them that the overwhelmimg majority of subs don't care.

Official Employee

KeenanSR wrote:

johnfreiman wrote:

And I doubt they will, they've already stated why they're doing and the fact that they haven't had massive subscribers losses tells them that the overwhelmimg majority of subs don't care.

All - I have posted a response on this topic in a few other places and will repost that below for others.

Also, apologies for the e-mail response (above) that some of you may have received from our teams that had some outdated and inaccurate information. We are working to get that information updated in all areas so that the information is indeed accurate. 

As part of our ongoing work to improve and modernize the way we deliver HD channels, we are transitioning most all of our HD streams to “progressive” format. We are making this change in conjunction with the transition to MPEG-4. This means that some channels that were delivered in 1080i will now be delivered in 720p60.

The progressive format offers a number of advantages, and is an important component of the transition to IP video delivery.

Based on extensive testing and research, we’re confident the combination of MPEG-4 encoding and the progressive format will allow us to deliver superior video performance to our customers.

In addition, the transition to progressive format allows us to offer a uniform HD experience across all devices, apps and screens, ensuring a consistently excellent experience.

The interlaced format reduces the effective resolution of 1080i significantly. Most video delivery is moving toward progressive formats. Many leading HD channels already deliver video in 720p60, and the progressive format renders motion more effectively. Progressive formats are necessary for advanced IP video delivery.

Based on extensive testing and research, we’re confident the combination of MPEG-4 encoding and the progressive format will allow us to deliver superior video performance to our customers.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

ComcastTeds wrote:

KeenanSR wrote:

johnfreiman wrote:

All - I have posted a response on this topic in a few other places and will repost that below for others.

Also, apologies for the e-mail response (above) that some of you may have received from our teams that had some outdated and inaccurate information. We are working to get that information updated in all areas so that the information is indeed accurate. 

As part of our ongoing work to improve and modernize the way we deliver HD channels, we are transitioning most all of our HD streams to “progressive” format. We are making this change in conjunction with the transition to MPEG-4. This means that some channels that were delivered in 1080i will now be delivered in 720p60.

The progressive format offers a number of advantages, and is an important component of the transition to IP video delivery.

In addition, the transition to progressive format allows us to offer a uniform HD experience across all devices, apps and screens, ensuring a consistently excellent experience.

The interlaced format reduces the effective resolution of 1080i significantly. Most video delivery is moving toward progressive formats. Many leading HD channels already deliver video in 720p60, and the progressive format renders motion more effectively. Progressive formats are necessary for advanced IP video delivery.

Progressive formats are necessary for advanced IP video delivery.

^ That's the only comment in that whole post that even comes close to the truth, that this is being done to facilitate an infrastructure necessity in order to change the way Comcast delivers it's video channels. Not because it's going to provide any better picture quality. 

And by the way, how many people are still using interlaced displays to view 1080i HD content? 1080i content gets de-interlaced to 1080p when displayed on modern video displays, and 1080p is without any doubt a better, cleaner, sharper video format than 720p. There's a reason Blu-rays were made at 1080p and not 720p so stop trying to convince people who know better with the nonsense you've stated here.

Regular Contributor

Below is my reply from Comcast via my FCC complaint. I will be moving back to DirecTV and will begin working to get out of my contract.  I get that they are doing this for various reasons but the lack of acknowledging that the picture quality is worse is what really bothers me.  Put all of this tech talk aside and use your eyes - the picture is worse on channels they did this too - simple as that. Anyone that comes into these threads saying the opposite either hasn't had this done in their area yet, works for comcast or were using an S-Video cable to watch HDTV in the past anyway (meaning they have no idea)....

My only hope is this is a 1 step backwards to go 2 steps forward move and we get the xfinity app via devices such as AppleTV or IP delivery which will result back to the format the channel is providing. I just won;t be here to see it.

Here is their reply from my FCC complaint. 

-----------------------------

Dear Mr. Zi---,

Thank you for contacting our executive offices regarding your Comcast related issues. We appreciate your feedback and always invite the opportunity to improve our customer service experience. On behalf of Comcast and the Executive Care Office, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience and/or frustration we may have caused while working to resolve your issue. It is never our intention to make the resolution process difficult.

As part of our recent HD Enhanced Program, we recently changed and upgraded the way we deliver HD channels in your area. Upon the recent change of the HD Enhanced Program, we are currently using MPEG-4 Technology which allows us to deliver crystal-clear HD signals. While we understand that specific programming may not be delivered in the 1080i format, Our engineering teams have done rigorous testing and study on the formats delivered and reached a conclusion that we are able to provide the best quality to our customers using the 720P format.

We truly appreciate your feedback regarding your customer service experience. Our department will forward your comments and concerns to our engineering team for future suggestions regarding our HD programming and the way it is delivered.

We look forward to providing you quality, reliable services and a positive customer service experience in the future.  We appreciate you affording us the opportunity to resolve your concerns and we thank you for continuing to be a Comcast customer.  For future questions or concerns please contact our customer service team at 800-266-2278.

Sincerely,

Greg M.

Comcast Cable Communications

Executive Care Specialist

M-F 11am-8pm cst

Expert

I can understand Comcast's current reasoning for 720p but it is rather short-sighted for short term growth over the next 3 to 4 years.

I have been with cable since 1974 so I am certainly qualified to question their current direction for growth. I also have my TV's connected to "Antenna" since I know how to increase my OTA range to 150+ miles using correct type of antenna, RF in-line amplifiers, and RG6u quad-shielded coaxial cables.

NBC network is also part of the Comcast family and is a 1080i broadcaster. I get the feeling when reading Comcast replies on the forum that they might be leaving OTA networks using 1080i signals "as is" for the time being. NBC has been experimenting with 4K linear programing this year.

The reason for early X-1 cable-boxes is that they carry the software for accessing Internet apps like Netfix, You Tube, etc. It allowed them to get into streaming video in 4K/HDR and 1080p.

I would remind them that any one with a Smart TV (UHD or HD) has access to most apps with only a decent broad-band connection. Also; for an investment or $100. or less, they can purchase a Sony (or other brand) 4K up-scaling 3D Blu-Ray player supplying 1080p signals, and including Internet app software, to any decent brand of Full HD (1080p) television manufactured since 2005. These televisions will receive any streaming video up to 1080p using the Blu-ray player. I tested this particular Blu-ray player's Internet apps on my Sony Bravia 1080p HD television by using You Tube. Every thing worked fine but the CPU in the player is slower then quad-core CPU in my Samsung TV. I had a few weeks to use it here before my new tv was delivered. I am not sure if any HD Blu-ray player comes with the Internet app software yet. A lot of programing for 1080p or better can be gotten for the current price of cable, or satellite, for that matter.

For any 4K television that does not include smart tv circuitry you would be required to purchase a real 4K player (with Internet app like You Tube) to supply actual 4K signal for 4K apps found on these apps. The 4K upscaling players will only upscale from 1080p

I didn't mind paying for the around 150 Full HD channels @ 1080i but if the vast majority is down-graded to 720p at current or higher monthly cost of cable then those of us preferring 65 inch or larger televisions will certainly follow the route to newer technology.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

If your company is so confident about switching from the sharper clearer picture that 1080i provides over 720p then why didn't you send out a letter to each customer explaining to them of this "improvement"?  You sent everyone a physical letter regarding the switch to h264.... why not a letter or email regarding 'dumbing down' of HD????

I would be interested in seeing a list of the companies you claim are moving away from 1080i in favor of 720p.  I don't see any facts that point to your claim.  In fact, cable networks are moving to a purely progressive format, but they are not producing or delivering content in 720p -- they are adopting 1080p. 

So why are you not following DirecTV, Dish, ATT and Verizon and delivering 1080p signals from the top cable networks to your customers?

The networks that have invested heavily in converting to digital television over the past decade spent a good deal of time deciding on which format, 1080i or 720p would be best for their customers and the content they provide them/us.

I personally upgraded my 1080p 37" HDTV to a 1080p 40" HDTV and now I have upgraded to a 43" UHD 2160p TV.  I can see the difference between 720p, 1080i and durring specific scenes I can see that 1080i has it's negatives, but for most non-sports or action content, 1080i offers a MUCH SHARPER picture (period).

Again, why are you not shouting this change from the rooftops the way you are shouting about your expaning gigabit internet services? 

Ask your bosses why you are charging customers more when they download more then 1TB of data a calendar month, but you are not CHARGING US LESS when you degrade our high-definition television signal?

Do you have documents from Bravo, A&E, TVOne, Esquire, Spike, Comedy Central, HGTV, Golf Ch, Animal Planet, E!, Velocity, Travel Channel, Science, History, CNN, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Destination America, FYI, HLN, Fuse, VH1, MTV, MSNBC, TCM, IFC, WE, Hallmark, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, AMC, Investigation Discovrey, HBO and other networks backing your claims and approving your decision to convert there 1080i content to 720p?

Where is your transparency????  Comcast/Xfinity has ZERO communication on this matter.  Shame on you.

-John
Regular Contributor

johnfreiman wrote:

If your company is so confident about switching from the sharper clearer picture that 1080i provides over 720p then why didn't you send out a letter to each customer explaining to them of this "improvement"?  You sent everyone a physical letter regarding the switch to h264.... why not a letter or email regarding 'dumbing down' of HD????

l

l

<snipped for brevity>
Where is your transparency????  Comcast/Xfinity has ZERO communication on this matter.  Shame on you.

The answer appears to be obvious in my opinion ..... Comcast is probaby betting that future customers (today's youngsters, teens, and young adults) will be watching most TV on small mobile Smartphones or Tablet screens well into the foreseeable future, and thus PQ degredation is not noticeable by the move to 720p60.  AT&T also announced yesterday or today that they too are going to focus much more heavily on expanding mobile streaming content delivery over the next 4 years.

Do I want my 1080i back?  You bet I do. 

But since I'm an oldster and what I want does not seem to count for much anymore, I'm planning to spend more time reading good hardcover books like my wife has been doing for many years.

Those of us who still enjoy larger screen audio/video viewing from home (especially the real audio/video connoisseurs with excellent eyesight .... unlike myself) are going to be sadly hit the hardest by this growing trend towards small screen mobile viewing and with the apparent response to that trend to be taken by large content delivery companies down the road.

In my opinion, the delivery of A/V content via traditional RG6 copper wire cables or FIOS directly to a set-top box may eventually go the way of carburated automobiles in today's fuel injected world .... I actually prefer the old carburated muscle cars of the late1960's, but that's because I'm in my mid-60's. At my age and above, I don't really believe that my age group will be any significant factor in the equation used to project and grow future corporate revenues both here and overseas for many large companies creating or delivering entertainment content these days.  However, I'm a realist and understand that it's just business and nothing personal ...... just based on the changing lifestyles of our world's shifting demographics.

I have to keep reminding myself that oldsters here in North America, such as myself who still enjoy larger HDTV screens from the comfort of home, probably won't be around 35-40 years from now.   And as our eyes age, we probably will not notice much, if any, difference between 720p, 1080p .... even 4K on very large screen HDTVs.   My opthomologist mentioned the other day that everyone sadly eventually develops cataracts and degraded vision if they live long enough ..... and he sees more and more oldsters easily hitting 90-100 these days, barring any tragic accidents or heart-wrenching life-shortening medical conditions.

Maybe I'm wrong about all the trends and what the future holds for PQ from the content delivery companies ..... I hope I am, but no amount of assurances about PQ in the future from any company's spokesmen or their PR departments will be believed on my part because they are paid to say whatever the top brass tell them to say .... similar to political campaign promises.

Regular Contributor

johnfreiman wrote:

I would be interested in seeing a list of the companies you claim are moving away from 1080i in favor of 720p.  I don't see any facts that point to your claim.  In fact, cable networks are moving to a purely progressive format, but they are not producing or delivering content in 720p -- they are adopting 1080p. 

So why are you not following DirecTV, Dish, ATT and Verizon and delivering 1080p signals from the top cable networks to your customers?

The networks that have invested heavily in converting to digital television over the past decade spent a good deal of time deciding on which format, 1080i or 720p would be best for their customers and the content they provide them/us.

I personally upgraded my 1080p 37" HDTV to a 1080p 40" HDTV and now I have upgraded to a 43" UHD 2160p TV.  I can see the difference between 720p, 1080i and durring specific scenes I can see that 1080i has it's negatives, but for most non-sports or action content, 1080i offers a MUCH SHARPER picture (period).

Again, why are you not shouting this change from the rooftops the way you are shouting about your expaning gigabit internet services? 

Ask your bosses why you are charging customers more when they download more then 1TB of data a calendar month, but you are not CHARGING US LESS when you degrade our high-definition television signal?

Do you have documents from Bravo, A&E, TVOne, Esquire, Spike, Comedy Central, HGTV, Golf Ch, Animal Planet, E!, Velocity, Travel Channel, Science, History, CNN, Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Destination America, FYI, HLN, Fuse, VH1, MTV, MSNBC, TCM, IFC, WE, Hallmark, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries, Lifetime, Lifetime Movie Network, AMC, Investigation Discovrey, HBO and other networks backing your claims and approving your decision to convert there 1080i content to 720p?

*stands up and slow claps*

Contributor

charissamz wrote:

KeenanSR wrote:

Dear Ms. Ziobro,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail the Office of Tom Karinshak, my name is Shauna. I will be assisting you today.

I understand from your e-mail that you are upset about the picture quality that you are currently receiving. I truly apologize for the frustration this may have caused and thank you for bringing this to our attention. I can understand how this can cause frustration.

You stated in your e-mail that you are receiving DVD like picture quality due to it being downgraded from 1080i to 720p. We only broadcast the signal the station provider give to us. Our customer's do the have the option to change the picture quality on their set-top box themselves. Below I have provided you with some tips on how to change the settings on your X1 set-top box:

• To access settings, press the XFINITY button on your remote and arrow over to the gear icon
  • In Device Settings, there are a few items to consider but go to Video Display.
  • In Video Display, you may need to tweak two settings to adjust the video output so that it matches the aspect ratio and resolution of your TV. If you have an HDTV, then make sure Zoom is set to NONE. Any magnification of the screen image results in a degradation of video quality.
  • For the other setting here, Video Output Resolution, make sure it is set to the resolution that matches your HDTV

Ms. Ziobro, thank you again for contacting us and allowing us to assist you with your picture quality. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to reply back. As a reminder, you can also visit your YouTube channel for how-to demonstration and also our online website at https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/x1/UsingXFINITYX1/.

Sincerely,

Shauna G.

Office of Tom Karinshak

It hurts just to read these responses!  Why is Comcast/Xfinity chasing customers away?  Maybe they think that MORE CUSTOMERS WILL CUT THE CORD to "cable tv" and switch to 1080p and 2160p 'tv' from streaming services and then they can collect an extra $50 or more "free money" from customers paying the new 1TB fees.  That's pure profit that Comcast doesn't have to hand back over to the Networks for distribution fees, etc.

This issue was never going to be solved by the FCC because "cable" isn't as strickly regulated and the terrestrial channels are still be broadcast in up to 1080i.

However, since the timing of the additional fees for downlaoding more than 1TB of data per month and Comcast reducing the quality of their TV services -- dare I say, racketeering!?

-John
Frequent Visitor

Dear Comcast,

Your HD Enhanced Program is a downgrade. You are not delivering "crystal-clear HD signals." Your engineers did not do "rigorous testing" for the sake of improved picture quality: they did sloppy work attempting to hide the fact that your live HD TV channels are now the worst among cable companies.

And most importantly, you did not "resolve" the customer's concern or the concerns of hundreds of other customers who've made the same observations and complaints regarding picture quality lost to the 720p downgrade.

Maybe the sweetest part of your non-response was giving your standard 800 number at the end, just in case the customer would like to start from the very bottom again. No, we'd rather not.

Sincerely,
Sisyphus
Expert

I would like to comment about a video problem I saw while watching the Packer's game on NBC while on Comcast cable.

My 65 inch Samsung UHD television was set to "Sports Mode" which gives a 240 Motion Rate. While watching the game every play with cameras moving down the field for a pass or run the score icon overlay on lower portion of screen would get out of focus.

If i switched my source to antenna for NBC the total picture always up-scaled to 4K with perfect video for all portions of picture including network overlays.

I would like to point out that most sports bars/restaurants use cable and large screen UHD televisions today for their customers enjoyment. Certainly here in the metro area of Minnesota they saw the inferior video caused by Comcast out-putting a 720p signal that does not upscale anywhere near as good as the NBC 1080i signal still output "over the air". I would assume the same could happen to any sports channel that used to supply 1080i signals.

I would hope that some NBC executives watching the game may have noticed this if they watched on cable.

Expert

Edited 08:30 AM:

I have watched many cable channels in "Sports mode" this morning including news and sports. I ran into no problems on any channels with overlays and everything up-scaled to 4K ok.

The problem may have been a syncing video of that one overlay with the live game video. It only occured when watching game on cable. The problem may have been between control trailer and cable company. No problem occured for "over the air" signals.

I did switch source from "over the air" and cable a number of times to see if problem was fixed. I ended up staying with "over the air" for the majority of the game.

Regular Contributor

ComcastTeds wrote:

KeenanSR wrote:

johnfreiman wrote:

One thing Comcast is not considering this that when a brodcast is 1080i30 but actually a 1080p24 source, a lot of TVs can remove the 3:2 pulldown and derive the original 1080p24 source. And moving to an IP based delivery system is a big bandwidth savings over the current system so why not go with 1080p60 instead of 720p60? That way everyone is happy.

Frequent Visitor

Add me to the list of very unhappy customers.  Am considering my service options at this point, since so many channels look perceptably worse now.  I see no point in keeping the premium channels since they've been downrezzed, I just as well stream them.  Trying to figure for the longer term whether to move to DirecTV - don't like the weather effects here on satellite, but with Comcast the cable monopoly here I'll probably reconsider that.

Regular Contributor

Weather effects and I do like the X1 interface better but I also will move back once my contract is up. I am working on getting out of my contract but we will see how that goes.

I am glad others are voicing their displeasure for this change.

I only watch HBO through HBO Go now on my AppleTV due to this new "enhanced HD". Does Comcast get any of my subscription cost or does it go all to HBO? I may just switch to HBO Now if they do. Not that those few dollars matter to Comcast but my money will move away from Comcast in every way I can.
Expert

There is another problem caused by the switch to MPEG4.

For those reading posts on the forum you will find under "boxes other than X1 and cable-cards ..." many new complaints concerning HD channels loosing video signal and only receiving audio.

The cable-cards cannot process the 720p MPEG4 output signal that replaced the 1080i MPEG2 signal. Comcast changes a few channels at a time, so people complaining see no video signal once the channel is changed over. They still have video on HD channels not changed. This causes much confusion since they don't understand why only certain channels have the problem.

The answer one poster just got today is that their HD television with cable-card is "no longer compatible" and they will need to spend more for a new HD cable-box (MPEG4 compatible). 

Regular Contributor

MNtundraRET wrote:

There is another problem caused by the switch to MPEG4.

For those reading posts on the forum you will find under "boxes other than X1 and cable-cards ..." many new complaints concerning HD channels loosing video signal and only receiving audio.

The cable-cards cannot process the 720p MPEG4 output signal that replaced the 1080i MPEG2 signal. Comcast changes a few channels at a time, so people complaining see no video signal once the channel is changed over. They still have video on HD channels not changed. This causes much confusion since they don't understand why only certain channels have the problem.

The answer one poster just got today is that their HD television with cable-card is "no longer compatible" and they will need to spend more for a new HD cable-box (MPEG4 compatible). 

Would this affect Tivo users on Comcast?

Frequent Visitor

According to Comcast themselves, the CableCard would not be the source of issue:

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/cablecard-mpeg4-faqs/

"All Comcast CableCARDs are MPEG-4 compatible. However, the CableCARD-enabled device (such as TiVO or TV) you are using must also support the MPEG-4 format."

Hence the suggestion in the thread about getting a different TV or STB.  Recent TiVos are said to work, per the list at https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/Comcast-Transitioning-to-MPEG4-in-Select-Markets

Expert

I just noticed in the last few days that there is a way to read out the incoming signal output by the cable-box. My 2015 Samsung 3D UHD TV is hooked up the both antenna and cable. It reads OTA signals by using "Select" button with information on upper right of the screen.

To read the cable signal I need to select cable station, then select "source". Now I select HDMI 1 (cable). The signal output by the cable-box now shows for about 5 seconds on the upper left of the screen.

So far in our area they have left all of the OTA 1080i channels alone. They could be easily compared by changing the source from cable to antenna to see the difference. Unfortunately most of us really never knew whether cable channels were 1080i or 720p. So while they may have been changed what they used to look like is only a memory. All these channels said HD (no clue whether 702p or 1080i).

Expert

I would like to point out a few facts.

A 1080 P signal is: 1920 x 1080 pixels for a total of 2,073,600 pixels.

A 720 P signal is: 1280 x 720 pixels for a total of 921,600 pixels.

The 720 P picture has only 45% (less than half) as many pixels as a 1080 P television. The cameras used to televise programs in 1080 P have more than twice as much real information as a 720 P camera. Under Comcast's new output of 720 P / MPEG4 1080 P Full HD televisions will need to fill in over half the pixels with computer generated information (FAKE). This takes time off-setting for any gain using 720 P to reduce possible judder.

This leaves Comcast with the only real advantage of saving space for their purposes, at the expense of our having a picture as good as over the air.

Those of us with UHD (4K) televisions may notice more of a change since our televisions fill in 4 times the pixals for 1080 P versus 8 times the pixals needed for a 720 P signal.

Contributor

Something I've noticed, for at least for two of Syfy's primetime shows, is that the file size and bitrate are the same for about 15 or so episodes, file size is 1.65 GBs and the bitrate is 3.94 Mbps. This is every episode since the switchover was performed on that channel which tells me that it's maxed out, it's using every bit of bandwidth available to it and it needs more as the picture quality is just awful.

Seems to me that Comcast needs to adjust their stat-mux settings as some of these channels are not getting enough bandwidth, even for MPEG4(AVC).

Expert

Comcast would be better served by getting rid of the analog channels (1 - 99). They are the real band hogs! Their customers could have had free analog to digital converters for OTA. Comcast could supply limited digital service with the cable-box connected through the converter.

They could also get rid of the 400 series of HD channels already duplicated in the 800 series.

Contributor

charissamz wrote:

If anyone else feels like voicing their feedback here is where I submitted this. I am not sure if this is the best way but it is all I can do until I cancel.

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/vp-contact-form

This is what I sent using the link you provied (thank you):

The TERRIBLE JOB your company is doing down converting ALL the 1080i signals/programming to 720p is unacceptable!
It's one thing to switch your users to h264, but it is another thing to take that clear and sharp 1080 interlaced signal and process it with a sxxxty comb filer or de-interlacing algorithm.  
I can't even say the "quality" bad because it is so terrible, that using the word "quality" would give you too much credit!
Now, if consumers paying for your premium cable products wish to watch the quality they have become accustomed to over the years we now have to stream the same programming we are still paying a premium for!!!  There are over 30 channels which I will now need to stream or download in 1080 so that I don't have to constantly be annoyed with the artifacts YOU INTRODUCE into the signal.
Now I will have to pay an additional $50 for the luxury to watch what I am already paying the same company for TWICE!

-John
Regular Visitor

I'm so glad I found this thread, because this is important to me.  Also, for anyone who is still confused, let me assure you that for content that was originally 30fps or 24fps, 1080i is strictly better than 720p.  It doesn't matter that it's progressive when the framerate is double the source.  Those frames are free.  And if you just look at the screen, you can see it.

New Poster

The good news (I guess) is that DirectTV Now is apparently streaming in 1080p with 5.1 (according to The Verge). It's also much cheaper at $35/month so I'll probably switch to that soon.

Contributor

I'll be signing up for that in about 2 hrs.