Community Forum

Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

Regular Contributor

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

This is my hope, that one day Xfinity will have an app for the devices that DirecTV Now has that will support native resolution of channels.  The xfinity app for iphone right now feels just like a cable box so hopefully we see some sort of IPTV from them.  I just dont think I will be around long enough to see it. I will be back at DirecTV before then because I care about picture quality. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

Following this closely. Maybe we will see PQ improvemnts if you use an app as a cable box. I would love to see this app on AppleTV one day.

 

http://www.avsforum.com/xfinity-tv-beta-app-comes-roku-live-tv-demand-dvr/

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc


@charissamz wrote:

Following this closely. Maybe we will see PQ improvemnts if you use an app as a cable box. I would love to see this app on AppleTV one day.

 

http://www.avsforum.com/xfinity-tv-beta-app-comes-roku-live-tv-demand-dvr/


Same here.  I use my Apple TV far more than my old Roku (which is apparently not compatible with the Xfinity app).

Contributor

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

Just adding my voice here--

 

Downgrading 1080i channels (especially pay channels like HBO) to 720p is absolutely unacceptable.  If you're going to degrade picture quality, you should be lowering our bills.

 

This just makes me more willing to "cut the cord".

 

New Poster

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

THis is all VERY concerning to me. I just switched from DirectTV to COmcast Xfinity and see a noticeable drop in pciture quality - almost like a very slight haze or gauze or blur to the picture instead of the crystal clear sharp image I use to get with DirectTV. I am assuming this has to do with Comcast messing with the signal and sending us their *progressive* version fo whatever signal is being sent to them form the different cable channles? Is there any possible fix to this on the horizon, or do they not really care about the Videophile minoirty? The very fact that they do this - and don't have a Native/pass thourgh option on the cable box they gave me - has really got my knickers in a twist.

Contributor

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

If you have the X1 box picture quality should look much better than non X1 box only speaking from my experience. Non X1 box HD resolutions are 1080i and 720p while on the X1 box you have 1080p choice so you can put it on 1080p and your tv could upscaled to 1080p giving you superior picture quality. But after mpe4 upgrade I have noticed in my area that there is more detail in the picture but at same time the channels pixalate on fast moving action like espn, fs1 mtv live comes to mind. Espn never pixalated when they were on mpe2. But FXX is very sharp has exellent picture quality it looks almost like 4K. But FXX looked good when they were on Mpe2. Many channels look good I woud say but I hope they fix Espn and FS1 and others. I hope this pixelating on progressive channels like espn is temporary, espn and fs1 shouldn't pixelate because there is no downscaling there I can't understand that.
New Poster

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

As I understadn it, they are downgrading 1080i to 720p and then not giving that 720p signal enough bandwith to deliver a crisp, clean picture. This is NOT what I left Direct TV for!

Regular Contributor

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc


@MrG2 wrote:

As I understadn it, they are downgrading 1080i to 720p and then not giving that 720p signal enough bandwith to deliver a crisp, clean picture. This is NOT what I left Direct TV for!


Amazing isnt it? I have no idea how this is not getting more attention. People really just don't care or 40" TVs and 10' back is the norm.

 

I did the same thing last year. I even went through techs coming out, switching boxes, etc to try to figure out what the issue was. In the end, its just their new way of giving you HD Lite. I had Comcast before I went to DirecTV, about 4 years ago and did not notice a huge increase when I went to DirectTV so I just assumed it wouldn't be the decrease in picture quality I have seen when I went back.

 

I do however like the X1 over DirecTV's user interface. X1 is just clean and simple to use and my family enjoys the voice remote. The kids love "Kid Zone". 

New Poster

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

Just realized this has happened in the Flint, MI area - sometime between June 7th and June 13th or so.  Called to get support on my cable-card, and they had every reason this could be happening (bad wiring, bad device, etc), except that Comcast has changed the signal.  This is the second "downgrade" we've gotten in the last two months - the first was the elimination of Disney Jr. HD and Nick Jr. HD - they were replaced with the SD version.  Now this.

 

signed, bring back "High" Definition channels - I don't want "Medium" Definition.

 

New Poster

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc


@Thirtybird wrote:

Just realized this has happened in the Flint, MI area - sometime between June 7th and June 13th or so.  Called to get support on my cable-card, and they had every reason this could be happening (bad wiring, bad device, etc), except that Comcast has changed the signal.  This is the second "downgrade" we've gotten in the last two months - the first was the elimination of Disney Jr. HD and Nick Jr. HD - they were replaced with the SD version.  Now this.

 

signed, bring back "High" Definition channels - I don't want "Medium" Definition.

 


Yep. Happend in Central VA too.

 

I wouldn't have noticed it if my 2 trips to the optmoertrist confirmed my eyes were nearly perfect.

And then they mapped one of their Comcast Sports Net station here to get the same signal as its SD equivalent.

So now I have a SD display on the HD station.

 

I have 480i.  Geebus  VZ looks good right about now.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc


@VQT wrote:

@Thirtybird wrote:

Just realized this has happened in the Flint, MI area - sometime between June 7th and June 13th or so.  Called to get support on my cable-card, and they had every reason this could be happening (bad wiring, bad device, etc), except that Comcast has changed the signal.  This is the second "downgrade" we've gotten in the last two months - the first was the elimination of Disney Jr. HD and Nick Jr. HD - they were replaced with the SD version.  Now this.

 

signed, bring back "High" Definition channels - I don't want "Medium" Definition.

 


Yep. Happend in Central VA too.

 

I wouldn't have noticed it if my 2 trips to the optmoertrist confirmed my eyes were nearly perfect.

And then they mapped one of their Comcast Sports Net station here to get the same signal as its SD equivalent.

So now I have a SD display on the HD station.

 

I have 480i.  Geebus  VZ looks good right about now.


I don't know how you are getting 480i when the signal is 720p for both SD and HD chanels on my X1 boxes.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc


@RobertWy wrote:


@VQT wrote:

@Thirtybird wrote:

Just realized this has happened in the Flint, MI area - sometime between June 7th and June 13th or so.  Called to get support on my cable-card, and they had every reason this could be happening (bad wiring, bad device, etc), except that Comcast has changed the signal.  This is the second "downgrade" we've gotten in the last two months - the first was the elimination of Disney Jr. HD and Nick Jr. HD - they were replaced with the SD version.  Now this.

 

signed, bring back "High" Definition channels - I don't want "Medium" Definition.

 


Yep. Happend in Central VA too.

 

I wouldn't have noticed it if my 2 trips to the optmoertrist confirmed my eyes were nearly perfect.

And then they mapped one of their Comcast Sports Net station here to get the same signal as its SD equivalent.

So now I have a SD display on the HD station.

 

I have 480i.  Geebus  VZ looks good right about now.

I don't know how you are getting 480i when the signal is 720p for both SD and HD chanels on my X1 boxes. 


haha - then your X1 boxes are lying to you if they say you are getting 720P for SD.  

ooof - Comcast is screwing up bad alway in all ways.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

Interesting.  I have no way to know what SD channels are from Comcast.  Of the five TV's that are connected to X! boxes, I only have one that dislays once when it is turned on that it is upconverting a 720p signal to 1080p.

 

Maybe someone who is following this thread can find out.

 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

We just switched from Directv SD to Comcast hoping for a great HD picture.  Instead, the HD looks like the Beauty Face option on my Samsung Note 3 phone.  All the faces look like they are air brushed...no crispness.  My Directv SD was much sharper and crisp.  Comcast is starting to seem like a major rip off and I've been with them less than a week.  Might have to go back to my old Directv SD for a better quality picture.  Sounds like Comcast's upgrades are only in cost, not in actual benefits to the customer.  Upgrading their HD from 1080 to 720P...what is next, an extra charge for upgrading to SD?  

Most Valued Poster

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

So with all this MPEG-4 720P talk what Video Output should I set from my Tivo Bolt??? Automatic setting for my Sony Bravia is 1080P. Should I change to 720P? Thanks

Expert

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

RobertWy:

 

If an SD (480p) channel is being output as 720p, it just means Comcast is using the new technology under MPEG4. The SD picture is expanded to wide-screen using a method that no longer creates "short fat people". The picture may fool many people to believing it is 720p HD, but it is just another synthesizing method. It still saves them broad-band space over outputing a real 720p HD program.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

AHA! This is the information I was looking for. I was wondering why sports looked so poor this weekend, especially the Vikings Steelers game. It seems I have found my answer. Can anyone recommend the best way to record and watch local sporting events in MN? Dish, direct tv, ota with a tivo box, internet tv or what? I am specifically interested in the Vikings and the MN Wild. 

Expert

Re: Bring back 1080i VIDEO for HBO, Hallmark, AMC, Bravo, A&E, Golf Ch, Fuse, etc etc

Over the air should work best for 1080i channels. The picture is best there.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!