Community Forum

Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

New Poster

Big Ten Network - Fall 2018

When is the Big 10 Network going to reinstated with Xfinity in Atlanta?  I just cancelled the sports package.  BTN was the only reason I paid extra for it.  I'm sure I am not the only one and it is just revenue lost for Comcast.  GET A DEAL FINALIZED WITH BTN.  Football season starts next week!!!!! If we, as consumers, don't get the services we want, we will shop elsewhere.  Perhaps Comcast needs a reminder that TV and cable providers have some of the the worst customer service ratings in general amoung all types of services out there. 

Regular Visitor

Re: Big Ten Network - Fall 2018

I think Comcast is feeling smug because the number of homes actually dumping them because of the BTN is small for now as many of us would pay a penalty to leave.  If Comcast doesn't get their act together and bring back the BTN, it's a deal breaker for every B1G fan when it comes time to renew.

Regular Visitor

BTN/COMCAST - contract update

I know there have been a couploe threads about this, but none have provided any new updates.   

Comcast, it's time you do something right for your customers. and get a new deal signed.   Or, if you're not going to sign a deal, have the common decency to tell us NOW so we can get a satellite dish put up in time.

Regular Contributor

I don't understand.  I never signed any contract with Comcast and could leave in a heartbeat.  We will see how things go.  Hopefully we will all find ways to love our College Football in other broadcast stations.

Regular Visitor

I've got a promotional rate that runs out in 2019.  I'm not worried really.  I think this is typical court-house steps negotiating -- soo childish.  Worse case scenario for me is that I pay through the nose for the BTN and FS1 on YouTube, Sling or HULU for football season.  It will give me a good chance to test it out.  If 2019 comes, my rates go up and there's no BTN, I'll have enough experience with streaming that I'll know for certain where I'm going when I leave Comcast.  It's all about money for everyone.  If Comcast wants to give me the exact cable and internet package I have now with $50/mo reduction from my current promotional rate, sure, I'll stay with them and just pay for YouTube TV again in the fall (or basketball/hockey season also).  They're just not going to do that and we'll probably just part ways after being a customer for a near quarter century -- with a couple lapses when living a few months here and there in other states.

Regular Contributor

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

for your 2nd post, you have put things quite eloquently.....

Contributor

Comcast tried to pull the “you have a contract” bit with me when I spoke with them and told them I would be leaving them 9/1 if this wasn’t resolved. I asked the representative if EVERY channel I had when I agreed to my contract terms was still available to me. She said she would have to check but she “doubted it”! I told her “Then YOU are in violation of my contract with you and I can shut you down”. Silence from her! Then she tried to offer me a better deal. I said I’d see her in September to discuss their violation of my original terms if the BTN was not restored. LOL
Frequent Visitor

@BringBackBTN wrote:

I've got a promotional rate that runs out in 2019.  I'm not worried really.  I think this is typical court-house steps negotiating -- soo childish.  Worse case scenario for me is that I pay through the nose for the BTN and FS1 on YouTube, Sling or HULU for football season.  It will give me a good chance to test it out.  If 2019 comes, my rates go up and there's no BTN, I'll have enough experience with streaming that I'll know for certain where I'm going when I leave Comcast.  It's all about money for everyone.  If Comcast wants to give me the exact cable and internet package I have now with $50/mo reduction from my current promotional rate, sure, I'll stay with them and just pay for YouTube TV again in the fall (or basketball/hockey season also).  They're just not going to do that and we'll probably just part ways after being a customer for a near quarter century -- with a couple lapses when living a few months here and there in other states.

Perfectly stated.  I'm ready to do the same thing with DirecTV Now.  $50 a month just to be certain to receive BTN and FS1 for Big Ten Football.  If that doesn't send a message to Comcast, they simply don't listen and don't get it.  Negotiations like these are so childish!  If they have to pay more for BTN., so be it.  Charge the subscribers the increase in fees and they'll likely all pay it!  You and I are already prepared to pay $50 a month while the parties continue to argue with each other!  I like the Xfinity TV service, the way the DVR works, etc.  But not carrying BTN and Big Ten Football games on FS1 has already caused me to investigate options which I would have never pursued without this mess.  Let's hope they get this worked out.  It would be nice if one or all of the parties would communicate with their viewers.

Frequent Visitor

I'm on an Xfinity promotional rate too that just kicked in to its 2nd year.  Rates went up naturally, but I contacted them drop Showtime and Streampix, AND, register a complaint about dropping BTN.  Then, I asked what my penalty would be if I dropped service for DirectTV to get BTN back. . .and the answer was no penalty.  Probably pay through the nose in the future if I switched back, but that's for later.  This situation needs more public/media visibility.

Regular Contributor

I believe that is how my account is, too.  However, I don't think it would make a difference in the future.  The reason I say that is that the Condo in South FLorida is not on a contract but each individual has their own plans.  We have many plans who are snowbirds and they actually are allowed to shut their accounts off for whatever time they are away.  They can be from up north, or Canada or England and it makes no difference.  They just start a new account when they come back and get a new discount with the sign up.

Regular Contributor

With Direct TV NOW, they told me I can sign into it a month at a time with no contract.  We will either do that or YOU TUBE.

Contributor

Just a friendly reminder that the following streaming services do include the Big10Network (and access to btn2go):

• Hulu
  • FuboTV
  • PS Vue
  • DirecTV Now (in the $55+ plans)
  • YouTube (in the $45+ plans)
Expert

@Dksdr1 wrote:
Comcast tried to pull the “you have a contract” bit with me when I spoke with them and told them I would be leaving them 9/1 if this wasn’t resolved. I asked the representative if EVERY channel I had when I agreed to my contract terms was still available to me. She said she would have to check but she “doubted it”! I told her “Then YOU are in violation of my contract with you and I can shut you down”. Silence from her! Then she tried to offer me a better deal. I said I’d see her in September to discuss their violation of my original terms if the BTN was not restored. LOL

I can explain this to you....

From the Comcast Agreement for Residential Services

4. CHANGES TO SERVICES
Subject to applicable law, Comcast has the right to change our Service(s), Xfinity Equipment, rates and charges, at any time with or without notice to you. We also may rearrange, delete, add to, or otherwise change programming or features or offerings contained in the Service(s), including, but not limited to, content, functionality, hours of availability, equipment requirements, speed, and upstream and downstream rate limitations.

So, in essence, if you are in a contract and you leave before it's up, you will be charged Early Termination Fees.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Explain all you want! You’re eliminating service I paid for originally. For a company that is currently touting your commitment to customer service, this doesn’t seem right to me! Nuff said!
New Poster

BTN on Comcast

Can someone give me some tips about canceling Comcast and switching to FIOS should the Big Ten Network no longer be offered by Comcast? Thank you.

Expert

Re: BTN on Comcast

Just be aware that if you are under a recent contract here it could cost you to change right away.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Re: BTN on Comcast

everyone needs to remember, this is more than just BTN

this is also about the Big 10 games being blacked out on FS1 as well.........

Frequent Visitor

By this logic 

@Again wrote:

@Dksdr1 wrote:

I can explain this to you....

From the Comcast Agreement for Residential Services

4. CHANGES TO SERVICES
Subject to applicable law, Comcast has the right to change our Service(s), Xfinity Equipment, rates and charges, at any time with or without notice to you. We also may rearrange, delete, add to, or otherwise change programming or features or offerings contained in the Service(s), including, but not limited to, content, functionality, hours of availability, equipment requirements, speed, and upstream and downstream rate limitations.

So, in essence, if you are in a contract and you leave before it's up, you will be charged Early Tmerination Fees.

By this logic, Comcast could cut your channels down the 3,  C-SPAN, HSN and E! and its customers would be stuck because if this nonsense language.  Putting language in a contract doesn't necessarily make it valid.  The reality is that every state in this country (and the UCC) has deemed liquidated damages clauses invalid where the fee is an attempt to punish which is exactly what a "termination fee" is. Comast must show that the termination fee has some connection to an actual loss by them such as the costs to remove the service from your home (which they can't).  However, the real problem is that the cost of fighting Comcast on this issue will undoubtedly cost more than the termination fee and they know that. 

New Poster

Big Ten Network

If you are restricting Penn State games on this network I will forever change to Verizon. Please listen to the customer

Joe
Valued Contributor

Re: Big Ten Network

Comcast does not control the programming on these channels, only gives you access to them. FOX owns BIG TEN, last I knew (and the schools in the BIG TEN, as co-owners) EDIT ADD: The buzz about BTN and Comcast is that an agreement wasn't done yet, and so the channel was dropped temporarily in a few areas, but Comcast states they are working to get them back.
Official Employee

@JLDOOBLY wrote:
Comcast does not control the programming on these channels, only gives you access to them. FOX owns BIG TEN, last I knew (and the schools in the BIG TEN, as co-owners) EDIT ADD: The buzz about BTN and Comcast is that an agreement wasn't done yet, and so the channel was dropped temporarily in a few areas, but Comcast states they are working to get them back.

Comcast’s agreements with content providers, like the Big Ten Network, expire from time to time. We continue to communicate  with the Big Ten Network about continuing to carry it after August 31. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@JoeBro56 wrote:
If you are restricting Penn State games on this network I will forever change to Verizon. Please listen to the customer

Joe

Comcast’s agreements with content providers, like the Big Ten Network, expire from time to time. We continue to communicate  with the Big Ten Network about continuing to carry it after August 31. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

No offense  

Official Employee

@Big14Fan wrote:

No offense  

Apologies, the information I shared is still very accurate. 

Apologies also that I don’t have additional information that I can share at this time.  

As with any network contract, we want to come to an agreement that offers the best terms for our customers and our company that keeps both our costs and our customer's monthly costs to a minimum.  It takes two parties to negotiate and come to an equitable agreement for carriage of any cable network.

Your passion and feedback has been shared with the right people.  

Contributor

As one of countless angry and concerned subscribers, let me just say......tick, tick, tick, tick.........The clock is ticking........8 days and counting!!!!
Regular Contributor

I agree and we get no cooperation.  However, I truly don't need it till the 8th!

Regular Contributor

This must be at least the 20th time I have asked for a restoration and the response never changes.  Sorry but I am getting sick of COMCAST.

Official Employee

@flight8 wrote:

This must be at least the 20th time I have asked for a restoration and the response never changes.  Sorry but I am getting sick of COMCAST.

Apologies, the information I shared is still very accurate. The information hasn't changed. 

Apologies also that I don't have additional information to provide at this time.

As with any network contract, we want to come to an agreement that offers the best terms for our customers and our company that keeps both our costs and our customer's monthly costs to a minimum. It takes two parties to negotiate and come to an equitable agreement for carriage of any cable network.

I can share that (not surprisingly) negotiations with our programming partners on contract terms and conditions are proprietary and confidential. 

Once there is additional information to share, rest assured it will be. 

Costs and customer feedback have a lot to do with any programming decisions.

We understand your (and others) passion and desire to have this channel and associated programming 

Thanks for your feedback, it has certainly been heard and shared.

Regular Contributor

It truly is difficult, after 40 yeas, to have to change Service Companies.  Bottom dollar is always the line whether Comcast or BTN but thousands of us are losing something that means an incredibly lot to each of us.

Regular Contributor

But are they.  I truly have my doubts.  They can provide no information and time is about to run out.

Regular Contributor

Feeble excuse at this point.

Official Employee

https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/comcast-and-fox-networks-group-reach-agreement-for-c...

Comcast and Fox Networks Group Reach Agreement for Continued Carriage of
Big Ten Network and for Big Ten Games on FS1

PRESS RELEASE Businesswire
Aug. 24, 2018, 05:46 PM

Comcast Corporation and Fox Networks Group announced today that they have reached an agreement for Comcast to continue carrying the Big Ten Network. The companies also reached an agreement for Comcast to continue carrying all of the Big Ten games on FS1.
This press release features multimedia.

View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180824005448/en/

Under the terms of the agreement, Comcast will continue to offer Big Ten Network to its customers who reside in states with Big Ten universities (Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin). Xfinity customers in Delaware, the District of Columbia, and the Northern Virginia/Beltway area will also continue to receive the network given their proximity to Big Ten schools. In addition, in the coming months, customers outside of the Big Ten states will have access to the Big Ten Network as part of Comcast’s Sports and Entertainment Package.

Official Employee

@flight8 wrote:

But are they.  I truly have my doubts.  They can provide no information and time is about to run out.

All is now good with the world. 

Contributor

Can we please have clarification on when the BTN will be offered in out-of-market areas?  "in the coming months" is very vague and  could lead to a missed football season for many fans.

From the Press Release:
Under the terms of the agreement, Comcast will continue to offer Big Ten Network to its customers who reside in states with Big Ten universities (Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin). Xfinity customers in Delaware, the District of Columbia, and the Northern Virginia/Beltway area will also continue to receive the network given their proximity to Big Ten schools. In addition, in the coming months, customers outside of the Big Ten states will have access to the Big Ten Network as part of Comcast’s Sports and Entertainment Package.

Regular Visitor

I hope you don't think this is a good thing or solved.  Congratulations, you figured out a way to continue to provide service to the stripped down area of coverage you shrank to in April.  This thread was for everyone outside that area who was surprised and disappointed by the sudden removal of BTN from our already pricey packages.  I said it then and I'll say it again, you have until football season starts and if no BTN then I'm gone.  BTW, it starts on Thursday.

I've already investigated multiple streaming services that provide BTN for significantly less than my top-tier Xfinity package.

Valued Contributor

I have no need for ANY college sports networks. If my bill goes up by even a penny due to this agreement, I am leaving Comcast after 27 years.

Official Employee

As soon as there is additional information to announce. we will certainly do that here and in other places.

Thanks all for your continued patience.

Regular Contributor

This sounds like a win for many of us outside of the area only if they continue (not in the coming months) but currently for the new College Football Season.  For those of us who removed BTN from our personal list when Comcast dropped the channel, what should we do???  Will re get the games that are being shown beginning Sept. 1????  If they are being shown through the use of FS how to we get that back into our line up.  NOW is the time to let your customers know what we should do.

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.  There are thousands of us waiting to hear.

Is the Squeaky wheel really going to get the grease??

Regular Contributor

All won't be good untill it is back on.  Now tell us in the outlying areas (Florida) when we can watch BTN???????????

Regular Contributor

Outside of the area   WHEN WHEN WHEN???????

Regular Contributor

I have contacted Mr Demming at Comcast and hope he will be kind enough to reply to me as to when, where and how those of us OUTSIDE the are might be able to once again be insured that we will be able to receive BTN.  I told him that in case they were not prepared to tell us that as of Sept 1, many of us would be leaving enmasse.

Contributor

@flight8 wrote:

Outside of the area   WHEN WHEN WHEN???????

"in the coming months"   TRANSLATION:  anytime from when Urban tells his next lie to never.....

Regular Contributor

I've been polite on my threads and certainly didn't come on here to argue or be harrassed by you about what a coach did or didn't do.  The subject is closed.  This forum is for other purposes.

Contributor

@flight8 wrote:

I've been polite on my threads and certainly didn't come on here to argue or be harrassed by you about what a coach did or didn't do.  The subject is closed.  This forum is for other purposes.

My apologies, but I had no intention to "harrass" (I'm assuming that your comment was directed at me, but I can not be 100% certain w/o the context).  I was just trying to point out that Comcast has no time frame that they are willing to share with us (hence now->never).   My best guess is that Comcast is attempting to negotiate a much lower out of market rate for the BTN and that will probably take considerable time.
It would also be nice if Comcast would clarify if they really are trying to restore the BTN in out of market areas and, if they do restore the BTN, will they will finally offer it in HD.   

Regular Contributor

Thank you for the apology, but it was the comment about Urban Meyer that I found inappropriate.  This wasn't the place for that.  However, that said, the rest of your post and all your other have been right on.  I too feel that we are owed a better answer.  That is why I wrote to Mr. Demming at Comcast and I will forward it to the other 2 people listed in the business week article from BTN and FOX.  Keep on posting.  I do feel that maybe part of what we are doing might help.  In the meantime we will have to hold our noses and find other sources of broadcast for football season.

New Poster

“In addition, in the coming months, customers outside of the Big Ten states will have access to the Big Ten Network as part of Comcast’s Sports and Entertainment Package.”
I live in Florida. When is this going to happen?
Regular Contributor

Re: Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

I live in Oregon and haven't posted in this thread before although I have been following it. I cancelled the Sports and Entertainment Package once BTN was removed and would be happy to resubscribe to it when BTN returns. The problem I have (along with many others in this thread) is that the wording of the announcement is unclear as to when BTN will return to those of us not living in a BigTen state. Please clarify.

Regular Contributor

Ed,  Exactly.  I have written to the "powers that be" who were listed for Comcast and FOX but since it is the week end I do not expect a reply till at least next week.  Many of us have that problem as well.  I also will place calls next week to the Comcast Business Office for any more info.  One of my emails to 

Comcast exc. MS Meyer was returned as wrong address but the one to Mr. Demming and Ms Klein  both got through.  Hopefully they will be curteous enough to answer.

Contributor

I'm in Oregon too, and I just discovered that I don't have the Big 10 network.  WHAT THE????  I watch this channel every week during football season.  Are they going to reinstate that network here?  I still have the sports package.

Regular Contributor

flight8 -- Thanks for your efforts to get us an answer to the question of when we in non-Big Ten states will get BTN back (along with Big Ten games on FS1). Much appreciated.