Community Forum

Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

Regular Contributor

Re: Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

@geodonna wrote:

As of this writing there have been 13,344 complaints about the removal of BTN from Comcast. Extrapolating that maybe only 5% know about the forum, means that, potentially,over

266,880 customers are angry about this move. This makes me wonder whether anyone at Comcast reads these forums. 

Now that net neutrality has been eliminated, expect more ignoring of what the customer wants.

What's the source of your numbers?
Regular Visitor

If I'm reading the forum title page correctly ,there have been over 13,000 comments and replies on the removal of BTN. Being in retail for 25 years ,I can safely say that a 1% to 5% reply to a mailing is normally expected. I used a 5% reply rate to be conservative.
New Poster

Re: Removing big ten network

I am letting you know that you have broken your contract with me. When I signed up and added the Sports entertainment package The Big Ten Network was part of my TV programming. Approximately 2 weeks later you dropped it from being available in Tucson, AZ where I live. If you do not restore it I will switch to another provider that has this channel. Your reasons are ridiculous and the bottom line is you are making more money for less service to me your customer. Dish offers BTN so either restore it or I break my contract with you and go to another provider. They have voice activated remotes and are cheaper than you on a 2 year deal.
New Poster

I agree - the removal is ridiculous and one has to wonder what basis this product manager used to make that decision. I am also looking into alternatives prior to Sept.
New Poster

Appropriate value????? Are you living in the real world? There are MILLIONS of BIG alumni and friends from the BIG states that rely on access to BTN as a means of STAYING CONNECTED. Your rationale is flawed from a customer service view and your suggestion to us, your CUSTOMERS, of going to youtube is laughable at best. Reinstitute the BTN program or face an increase in customer churn.
Contributor

Turned in my Xfinity equipment today and we are now happy customrs of AT&T Fiber and DirecTV Now.    We  can now easily watch the BigTen Network on DirectTV Now.
I know this post does not add any value other than to let Comcast know that they lost a 10+ year customer who was paying way too much for their "product" (close to $300 USD a month!).

Contributor

If it helps justify your decision so did my Father in Law, Brother, Sister, and myself. All over one channel. My Father In Law also not happy COMCAST even up the NFL network to a higher tier. What are they doing.? Makes one wonder. Houston Area is loaded with Big 10 Alumni.
Contributor

A follow up to my change from Xfinity after 10+ years (due to them dropping the Big10Network).  When I dropped off my equipment yesterday, I wanted to pay the balance due, but they could not figure out the amount owed.   Today, I get the updated bill with the following language (please see image below).  Rather than anything nice "thank you for being a long term customer" or neutral "Here is your final bill, please pay by...."  Xfinity sends a statement that my account is "past due" and my services have been "disconnected" with a due date of *before* they even sent the bill.  Please note that my original monthly bill was not due for another 2 weeks. 

This is just another example of how Xfinity takes their customers for granted and their total lack of respect. 

Xfinity-Bill-Short.JPG

Official Employee

opurt - Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. Sorry to see you leave Comcast.

We went ahead and credited the balance due in full. Nothing additional needs to be paid for services.

Thanks for your patience and thanks for being a customer for over 9 years. You are welcome back anytime.   

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

@ComcastTeds wrote:

opurt - Apologies for the issue and the experience that you described above. Sorry to see you leave Comcast.

We went ahead and credited the balance due in full. Nothing additional needs to be paid for services.

Thanks for your patience and thanks for being a customer for over 9 years. You are welcome back anytime.   

Why would he want to return? You don't offer want anyone on this topic wants........... Also you keep anouncing that customers who have BTN in their package will be able to access BTN2go, but I had BTN in my package you removed it not us, so does that mean that Comcast will be paying for our subscriptions?

Official Employee

@Conrail5065 wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

Why would he want to return? You don't offer want anyone on this topic wants........... Also you keep anouncing that customers who have BTN in their package will be able to access BTN2go, but I had BTN in my package you removed it not us, so does that mean that Comcast will be paying for our subscriptions?

To further clarify, to access BTN full coverage online, you would need to have BTN in your current level of service. The current contract terms with this network only allow online access to BTN for customers who have that channel in their level of service. That is how most all cable networks operate and this situation is standard across all video providers. Details here: https://www.btn2go.com/page/btntv

BTN does offer a lot of highlights, interviews and profiles on their website, with no sign in or subscription required:  http://btn.com/

Details and pricing for an online subscription to BTN Plus (direct from BTN) can be found at the links below : 

https://www.btn2go.com/page/btnplus

https://www.btn2go.com/packages?type=0

Please note that  BTN Plus does not include Big Ten football games. 

Fans can still access more than 70 Big Ten basketball live games on ESPN networks, FOX Sports, FS1 and CBS Sports. Big Ten Plus (see above) will also carry numerous live games throughout the season.

The Big Ten Network YouTube channel offers game previews, highlights, analysis, press conferences and original shows.

X1 customers can also access the Big Ten Network YouTube channel via the following actions:

Using your X1 voice remote, say “YouTube” to launch the app’s search engine. Once inside the YouTube app, use the arrow keys on your remote to enter the search box and type in the words “Big Ten Network” or “BTN” and then hit “OK.”

If you don’t have a Voice remote, tap the “XFINITY” button on your X1 remote, navigate to the “Apps” menu and click on the “YouTube” icon. Once inside the YouTube app, use the arrow keys on your remote to enter the search box and type in the “Big Ten Network” or “BTN” and then hit “OK.”

My understanding is that BTN does not currently offer their channel as an a-la-carte offering to any video provider. That is, it not currently permissible to offer this network like an HBO or other premium channel at a stand-alone per-month charge, as much as our customers might desire that option.

Our programming teams and local management teams constantly evaluate programming choices and make decisions based on customer interests, costs, channel bandwidth management and contractual obligations.

Of course, situations may change based on customer demand, channel bandwidth opportunities, business opportunities, costs and contractual obligations

Thanks for your comments and your passion. They have been noted and shared with the right teams here at Comcast. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

First, thank you for the credit to my account, it is greatly appreciated.

@Conrail5065 is absolutely correct, why would I want to return when you do not offer a station that I consider "must have"?  In addition, the terrible and rude customer service I received from the "Customer Loyalty/Retention" department and  @ComcastCares via twitter PMs has lead me to also drop Xfinity internet and home phone. 

@ComcastTeds reply makes it clear that Comcast does not understand our issue with dropping the Big Ten Network.   BTN Plus has limited offerings of (mostly) minor sports and is a great subscription option for those sports which are not frequently broadcast (we subscribe mainly for Michigan field and ice hockey).  BTN Plus is a compliment, not a replacement, to the BTN and BTN2Go with zero overlap.

Mentioning that we can get 70 live Big Ten Basketball games from other sources is insulting.   How many Big Ten Football and Basketball games will be offered on the BTN and BTN2Go that Xfinity subscribers will not be able to view?  The games that Xfinity subscribers can not see is the issue!

I have taken a stand and left Xfinity over this issue.  I hope that others will also leave and that Xfinity eventually understand how important this channel is for many Big Ten Alumni/fans all over the country.

Contributor

Well said. Your explanation is spot on. I don’t think COMCAST even understands their actions on why we want this channel. When football starts the numbers of cancellations should sky rocket.
Frequent Visitor

It seems to me it would be an easy fix. Just put BTN back in the sports package. End of story or end of service.
Official Employee

@tedkoms wrote:

Thanks for the article from the Philadelphia Inquirer. Now, would you like to pay for my subscription so I can read the article?

Here is the article from April 

by Bob Fernandez, Staff Writer @bobfernandez1 | bob.fernandez@phillynews.com

Comcast Corp. is sacking the Big Ten Network in many parts of the nation.

Comcast viewers who live in states with colleges that are part of the Big Ten Conference — which include Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland — can still watch the college-sports network on their Xfinity TV package. But millions of Comcast subscribers in New England, the West Coast and Southern states will be out of luck as the pay-TV industry deals with huge costs for live sports in an era of low-cost streaming services.

ESPN has been shedding millions of subscribers as people seek out “skinny bundles” without the 24-hour sports channel and the Pac-12 Networks that airs colleges games in the Pac-12 Conference in the Western United States has been struggling financially. Experts expect that more leagues may see their distribution reduced as pay-TV firms seek to rein in costs to thwart cord-cutters.

People are also likely to choose entertainment options for cable or streaming without sports.

“The next five years will be a little more difficult for sports rights than the last five years,” said Neil Pilson, the former head of CBS Sports and now a consultant for sporting events and media companies. Pilson said he was surprised by Comcast’s decision because Big Ten football games – which would include the Penn State Nittany Lions and the Michigan State Spartans – could draw big audiences in New York and around the country.

Comcast says the costs were high and viewership low in parts of the nation without Big Ten colleges, leading to its decision to narrow the Chicago-based Big Ten Network, which waged a public battle about a decade ago to be carried by the Comcast cable systems. The network will now be limited to core Big Ten television markets, where it’s broadly available.

Comcast spokeswoman Jennifer Moyer said in a statement that “we regularly evaluate our channel lineups and sometimes make changes to ensure we’re offering customers a wide variety of content at the best value. We look at a number of factors when making these decisions, including the costs programmers charge us to carry their channels, viewership information and available alternatives.”

But many sports fans were upset, taking to social media after initial misinformation from Comcast that it would drop the network everywhere.

📝 Chris Forman
@ChrisForman12
Make your voices heard...@comcastcares @xfinity is possibly dropping the Big Ten Network.

This could cost them thousands and thousands of subscribers.

Let them know.

4:04 PM - Apr 12, 2018
68 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

Brendan F. Quinn

@BFQuinn
After listening to a commercial for Comcast's "product enhancements," I spoke to a representative and, yes, the cable company is dropping The Big Ten Network.

Asked why I wasn't alerted of the change. Was told it was listed under "Announcements" on the final page of a bill.

4:16 PM - Apr 12, 2018
58 people are talking about this
Twitter Ads info and privacy

A Big Ten Network spokesman said on Monday that “outpouring of concern and outrage from fans nationwide speaks for itself – BTN is a valuable part of Comcast’s sports lineup, and we share their frustration at Comcast’s decision to deprive them of hundreds of exclusive games and programming featuring some of the most iconic universities in the country.”

Comcast’s decision also seems likely to put the brakes on the Big Ten Network’s national subscriber growth.

According to research firm Kagan, part of S&P Global Market Intelligence, the Big Ten Network had 57.2 million subscribers in 2017. Three years earlier, the network had 54.3 million. The per-subscriber cost, or what it cost per customer for a cable distributor such as Comcast to distribute the network, was 48 cents a month in 2017.

Despite its name, the Big Ten Conference has expanded beyond just 10 universities and colleges as it sought to build a television network. There are now 14 schools in the conference and the Big Ten Network will be carried on Comcast in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland, along with Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin, Delaware, northern Virginia, and Washington, D.C.

Published: April 17, 2018 — 1:32 PM EDT

New Poster

Well said; Comcast goes when I get to FL in Sept. Will be watching the Big10 on Direct TV.
New Poster

@Murrx wrote:
It seems to me it would be an easy fix. Just put BTN back in the sports package. End of story or end of service.

I second that.

Frequent Visitor

I too agree.  Just put BTN back on in the states that aren't in the Big Ten footprint.  You have until Sept 1, the first Saturday of football season, to get it done or my $284 per month is out the door.

Contributor

FYI:  

As noted above when I questioned the loyalty team about them dropping the Big 10 Network she was snappy and told me and emailed me how to turn in my equipment.  After 25 years with Comcast I did and now have DirecTV and it has actually been pretty decent.  Wake up Comcast.  

Regular Visitor

That is just to direct and simple.

I guess that waiting for them to respond with a real answer is not going to happen.

Regular Visitor

I live in a 504 home community and most of us are from Northeast, NJ, NY, & PA, we feel the same.

Frequent Visitor

I just got my updated channel guide with the contract renewal.  Double-checked my digital preferred and sports entertainment package.  No Big Ten Network.  Looked online and found out Comcast is dropping them.  I just visited Camp Randall and I'm dismayed.  Sorry SEC and PAC 12, but I'm a Big 10 guy.  Except for Red Zone why pay for the sports entertainment package if you can't get the college games you want?  Count me in the group that wants the BTN back.

Regular Contributor

so they say that costs "skyrocketed" (but a previous post states its 48 cents a month)

Then keep it on that sports and entertainment package and charge 11 bucks instead of 10. (or whatever the numbers would be). People will pay it if they want it. and Comcast would actully PROFIT but .52 cents per month per SEP subscriber.

To NOT make it available in the sports and entertainment package (basically an 'a la carte' package) is insulting. 

New Poster

I have been a comcast customer for many years. I am from Ohio and do not appreciate you taking BTN out of the lineup.  I will now be forced to look elsewhere for my TV service.

New Poster

I just turned in all of my Comcast equipment!  I went with ATT fiber (much faster) and Direct TV.  I guess that Comcast just doesn't get it!

Valued Contributor

Copied and pasted from Twitter:

Comcast and Big Ten Network are at the beginning of a carriage fight, Fox Sports President Mark Silverman says.

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the info by Silverman, it was more info than we ever got out of Comcast. Apparently he isn’t getting any info either.
Regular Contributor

HERE WE GO AGAIN...................

Dropping BTN in the "outer markets" was just the first step.

Now Comcast/BTN face off for the main even ..."in market coverage of BTN...as well as B1G games on FS1"

Contributor

Link to a story in Variety about the possibility of Fox Sports pulling Big Ten Network entirely, as well as Big Ten football games on Fox Sports 1, from Xfinity

Regular Visitor

They can count me as a long time subscriber that will cancel, regardless of penalties, if BTN is dropped come the end of August

Contributor

More information direct from the Big 10 (Since Comcast is not likely to share any details):  http://www.keepbigten.com/
and http://www.keepbigten.com/faq  

New Poster

Recommend keeping Big Ten network. Fans are passionate about Big Ten over their cable subscriber. By removing B10 network you’ll force us to sign up for your competitors- simple.
New Poster

BTN/Comcast squabble

Comcast,

I will be dropping TV service if BTN is removed in the Big ten viewership region on September 1st, and switching to a streaming service that does offer BTN.

Thanks
Official Employee

Comcast’s agreements with content providers, like the Big Ten Network, expire from time to time. We are communicating with the Big Ten Network about continuing to carry it after August 31 and look forward to productive negotiations.

New Poster

BTN

The loss of BTN means the loss of me as a customer. The amount I pay & you guys can’t negotiate a simple agreement? I’m a huge PSU fan. Will switch providers along with many others!
Contributor

@ComcastTeds wrote:

Comcast’s agreements with content providers, like the Big Ten Network, expire from time to time. We are communicating with the Big Ten Network about continuing to carry it after August 31 and look forward to productive negotiations.

This topic has been open since April and this is the first response from Comcast where the (highly probable) dropping of the Big Ten Network in ALL markets is mentioned.   It is also interesting that Comcast is using the term "continuing to carry" rather than "restore coverage in all areas".

Below is the current  "Accepted Solution" from April 12.   Is Comcast committing to honor the "The Big Ten Network in-market feed, available to customers in Big Ten states in the regular channel line-up, will continue to be available."  portion?  

This total lack of transparency coupled with Comcast's extremely poor and dishonest treatment of their loyal customers will continue to drive subscribers to other providers.

@ComcastTeds wrote:

All - thanks for your feedback and passion. It has been noted and shared. 

As of this month, Big 10 Network (BTN) is being removed from the Sports & Entertainment package for areas that are out-of-market, meaning this will not impact customers who live in an area with a school in the Big 10 conference. 

The areas that will continue to receive BTN are Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, District of Columbia, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia.

The Big Ten Network in-market feed, available to customers in Big Ten states in 
the regular channel line-up, will continue to be available.

New Poster

Re: BTN/Comcast squabble

I agree.

Will be looking at youtuve TV

Regular Visitor

Comcast, why dont you drop ESPN?  Viewership is WAY down.   I could care less if you dropped it.  Their normal programming is virtually unwatchable.  

AND while I'm sure you don't care about me as a customer becuase I am just one of 10's of millions you have, If you cut BTN, I CUT YOU.  BTN is the last bastion of hope you have of keeping me as a customer.  

Your business model of giving me 100's of worthless channels under the guise value of the product you offer, is simply not working with me.  I'd rather pay a fee for only the channels I want.  You have about 50 spanish speaking channels, dozens of home shopping channels, MSNBC, and countless other junk channels.  I'd rather pay $5-$10/month for ONLY the channels I want.   

Oh and while I'm on my soap box.  Your triple play, or whatever you call it, of forcing us to have a land line has got to go.  If someone calls and is trying to lower thier bill by ending land line service, only to hear the representative say, "well your bill will go up, or stay the same" is complete BS,  Why do you think people are "cutting the cord"?  Comcast cable value just isn't what it used to be.  It just is not worth it.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: BTN

According to one article, in Big10 states, they get over $1.30/customer!!! What percentage of Comcast subscribers actually watch B10? Cord cutting is getting bigger and bigger, and overpriced sports networks are the biggest money.

Frequent Visitor

Well said. I’m afraid it falls on deaf ears. Don’t think anyone from Comcast is listening or seems to care. The truth finally came out the FS1 and BTN negotiations or lack there of.
New Poster

I appreciate the explanation of the business logic for dropping the Big Ten Network. You have to understand, however, that service to the customer must be a balancing factor. I hope the negotiations go well and that the Big Ten Network continues to be available on Comcast. Please understand that I and many customers will say: " no Big Ten, no Comcast". I will definitely cut Tues.
Contributor

@@@Big14Fan wrote:

Comcast, why dont you drop ESPN?  Viewership is WAY down.   I could care less if you dropped it.  Their normal programming is virtually unwatchable. 

Your business model of giving me 100's of worthless channels under the guise value of the product you offer, is simply not working with me.  I'd rather pay a fee for only the channels I want.  You have about 50 spanish speaking channels, dozens of home shopping channels, MSNBC, and countless other junk channels.  I'd rather pay $5-$10/month for ONLY the channels I want.  

One reason they don't cut ESPN: Disney can say, "If you don't carry ESPN, and ESPN2, and ESPNNews, and ESPNU, then we will enforce our right not to let you air ABC.  Have fun when your viewers can't watch the next Oscars, or Gray's Anatomy, or The Bachelor."

As for why they "package" channels, you are not the 100th, much less the first, person to ask that, and the answer is the same; what you would end up paying is closer to $5 per channel.  The reason they're packaged is, they get paid based on the number of people who can get the channel (based on their tier), not how many actually watch.  If it's "a la carte," then it becomes based on the number of people who actually want it, so pretty much every station would either have to charge a lot more, or go out of business.

New Poster

Comcast dropping Big10 Network?

If Comcast drops Big 10 Network I will drop them.  Comcast does little to accommodate customers.  Why? Because they've got a monopoly.  

Regular Visitor

I will keep Comcast until October since my interest is IU basketball. Others that are Big10 fans of football may leave Comcast before that time since football starts in August. If you are going to negotiate an agreement you should do it quickly because fans don't like missing the games. In fact, they will leave and not come back to Comcast and will express their opinion to friends, family and neighbors!

Frequent Visitor

Good thread going here. Lots of good info and opinion. When I posted I didn’t expect this level of engagement; lots of Big10 fans out there.

That said, all the churn is on this forum and hasn’t created any public pressure. Perhaps we should organize some picketing at Comcast offices across the country and let the media know. Pick a common date relevant to Big10 football before the season kicks off.  Maybe the Rutgers fans can slip over to Philly and picket the national HQ.  Develop a common message.

New Poster

Big Ten Network

I am very upset re. the aticle in today's Reading Eagle regarding Comcast dropping the Big Ten Network.  My husband and I have our phone, TV, internet and security system with comcast and the Big Ten network is one of the aspects of our service that we enjoy the most.  Why when there are so many Penn State fans in the area would you even consider getting rid of this network?  Frankly, it is one of the reasons that we have stayed with comcast rather than moving to the dish network.  I am sorry to say that if you discontinue this service we will seriously be considering changing our service.  I hope to hear from you that this article misspoke and the Big Ten Network is safely a part of our service.  I will be waiting for a response from you on this matter.     

Regular Contributor

Re: Big Ten Network (yes or no?)

It is GONE from Comcast Xfinity.  I have found that through ROKU you can get direct TV channel added at a price (about 75) per month.  Only have to subscribe for the months we want.  Not a very good option since we pay over 200. for Comcast TV ISP and Internet, but at least we should be able to get it.  Trying to see if anyone has found any better solutions.

Regular Contributor

All the replies in the thread are saying the same thing, but Comcast does not care.  I have complained to higher up all along the food chain but to no avail.  I just want to know the best way we can now watch all the Big 10 games we wish, LIVE.

Regular Contributor

Big deal.  So you are leaving it in areas where people might be able to drive to the came and watch it from the stands.  What about the state of Florida which has the biggest Big Ten Alumnae base in the country.  No one wants to watch it on a mini-screen.

Regular Contributor

I was told by Comcast that it was a contractural dispute between Comcast ant BIG TEN NETWORK and that it is now up to Big 10 to make the decision.  I know that I can buy Direct TV for about $75 per month during just the months that I want to watch the football games.  I may try that and eventually cut the cord to Comcast.  So very unfair to all of us Alumnae.