Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

Official Employee

Re: big ten network

Hi lebagoblue, thank you for providing this feedback. We do listen to our customers, and we want to provide you the best experience possible. To request a channel be added back to your current lineup please click on this link

Official Employee

Re: Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

@BTN-Lover wrote:

Solution Recommendation!  Please read....

Comcast programming team,

As you can see, this is a hot topic with your customers.  While I too am very frustrated, I will suggest something for consideration that might help solve this for all.  Equal or increased revenue for Comcast + consistency of services provided to your customers.

Three key points:

1) Your decision to limit BTN access to local markets is short-sided and frought with errors.  Did you consider the vast alumni networks that no longer (or never did) live in the states where the schools are located?  How about the parents of current or prospective students, again that do not live in the states of the university.  Note... This "out of state" model is the basis for my recommendation below.

2) Your suggestion to use streaming simply does not work for many.  First, you have not provided a definitive answer regarding our ability to access BTN2go.  When we have to provide our provider, will we be "approved" to stream the content?  Also, this only allows for live streaming.  I'm not able to watch most of these events live and am an extensive user of my DVR.  Your current proposal represents a significant reduction in services, inconvenience, or physical impossibility (ex: at work or travel during live broadcast) vs. my current services.  Why have you not proposed a reduction in fees for this reduction in services?  As a result of your decison, you've created a hostile cutomer environment, defections from your cable AND your other services, and at a minimum, reduced revenues by people cancelling the sports package.  In addition, rather than trying to keep valued and paying customers embracing your services and technology, you are driving them awa, reducing your revenues, and promoting creative people to consider how to invent or utilize a web streaming DVR service.  In the big picture, this is very bad for the future of Xfinity.

3) RECOMMENDATION:  Current estimates project your monthly per subscriber costs for BTN at $0.48 / month.  While this might be a bit controversial to suggest, consider this... Just as people pay an "out of state" tuition, I'll bet the majority of your subscribers would be willing to pay a small "out of state" uplift to maintain coverage.  While I won't be completely happy about the $0.50 increase, I'll gladly pay that to maintain my BTN access from Denver.  Likely true for Florida, Texas, or Oregon customers.  Please get into a room with some decision makers and think about how to creatively solve this problem and maintain your BTN subscribers.  Or risk losing lots of revenue from cancellation of sports package subscribers or complete defections from Comcast.

I'll gladly serve on a customer focus group to help provide creative ideas to help Comcast and the customers that pay you for valued services.

Respectfully, 

BTN-Lover

Denver, CO

Apologies. A lot of factors were involved into this decision, including viewership, customer impact, costs and our contract terms with this network. Some of that background was posted earlier in this thread.

To further clarify, to access BTN full coverage online, you would need to have BTN in your current level of service. The current contract terms with this network only allow online access to BTN for customers who have that channel in their level of service. That is how most all cable networks operate and this situation is standard across all video providers.

Details here: https://www.btn2go.com/page/btntv

BTN does offer a lot of highlights, interviews and profiles on their website, with no sign in or subscription required:  http://btn.com/

Details and pricing for an online subscription to BTN Plus (direct from BTN) can be found at the links below : 

https://www.btn2go.com/page/btnplus

https://www.btn2go.com/packages?type=0

Please note that  BTN Plus does not include Big Ten football games. 

My understanding is that BTN does not currently offer their channel as an a-la-carte offering to any video provider. That is, it not currently permissible to offer this network like an HBO or other premium channel at a stand-alone per-month charge, as much as our customers might desire that option.

Our programming teams and local management teams constantly evaluate programming choices and make decisions based on customer interests, costs, channel bandwidth management and contractual obligations.

Of course, situations may change based on customer demand, channel bandwidth opportunities, business opportunities, costs and contractual obligations

Thanks for your comments and your passion. They have been noted and shared with the right teams here at Comcast.   

New Poster

Anyone else contact xfinity about big 10 network being dropped?

I'm trying to find the right place to send an email to express my displeasure about Big 10 Network being dropped in non-Big 10 states.  Has anyone else shared this feedback and if so, where did you write?

Contributor

BTN observation- What is the point of the "sports/entertainment package"?

For some reason it wouldnt let me post a reply in the main thread.

So in the "outer markets" BTN was available on the Sports and entertainment package (SEP) usually in SD only...and now it is GONE

I can't understand the purpose now of this SEP now that :

1- all 3 Fox college sports are gone (removed about 15 months ago) 

2- all of the CSN regional RSN's are now gone

3- BTN is gone for the part of the country that had it on that tier

4- ESPN Classic removed

5- at least 70% of the other channels via SEP I already get via digital preferred plan. (CBSSN/ESPNNEWS/MLB/NHL...etc)

Keeping BTN should have been very easy, just charge a dollar a month more for the package and BAM, you are easily making money. 

Why does this package even exist when you don't have BTN on it (out of market) - it really is an "a la carte" type package for a category that people do get fired up about. 

Can anyone think of a channel that has been ADDED to this tier recently?

Now it very well could be that the Big 10 said "no more SEP for us" we want digital tier like SEC has....and that may have caused the impasse....

I just hope they don't do the same to the Pac-12 network or the upcoming ACC Network

New Poster

Re: BTN observation

I would like to add my voice here, as I am extremely disappointed in this decision.  My husband has long wanted to cut the cable, and getting Iowa football games (and the ability to rewatch some glorious victories on the DVR) was a big part of keeping Comcast.  We will be looking at other options for this now.  The sports package has already been canceled and perhaps more later.

Frequent Visitor

Re: BTN observation

Spot On. Myself and four family members switched since COMCAST dropped Big 10.
New Poster

Big Ten Network

Last month suddenly, without notice, the Big Ten Network disappeared from the Sports Entertainment Package.  Can you explain why that was done and if you anticipate reinstating it in Colorado?

Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone else contact xfinity about big 10 network being dropped?

I voiced my displeasure on this board and it prety much went to deaf ears.

New Poster

How do i cancel my contract because they dropped big ten network?

I never would have switched to Comcast last year if I knew they would not have Big Ten Network... and then I was conviced to go with a 4 play and switch my phone, internet, and alarm service.  Now I have a 2 year contract for a service I dont want.  I called and was told I would have cancellation charges... i asked to talk to another person and excalate the issue and she said OK and I have yet to be contacted. I am about to spend my Saturday on hold trying to resolve.  Anyone have any thoughts on how I get out of this as the premise of me entering into the agreement included the Big Ten Network.  What if Comcast just decides not to have ESPN or even the major networks?  I am sure the contract is written in such a pro-comcast way the agreement protects them... i have not read it... when contracts are written as a take it or leave it if you want our service the consumer has no chance to get a fair contract.

New Poster

Big 10 Network - Dropping?!

I recently learned that you will be dropping the Big10  Network from my Denver, Colorado, channel lineup.   I understand that I could still stream the games but that doesn't allow me to use my DVR when I'm away from home during games.   Have you considered charging more for the Big10 Network?   I would pay extra to keep the the Big10 Network.  I hate to think of the hassle I'll go through switching cable providers but I'm prepared to do so.   Please reconsider your decision before the football season starts.    

New Poster

Please reconsider

Sometimes there are loss leaders like BigTen in Fla
But we are Bug Ten people here and you can see your viewership improve by locating it on the dial next to SEC network

Right now it is lost and submerged in unrelated upper number programs

Verizon and Directv do not plan to follow your lead

Please reconsider

I do have options but much prefer Xfinity
Frequent Visitor

I dropped the entire Xfinity Package.  TV, Phone and Net which I had for 25 years.  DirecTV is pretty good once you get used to it.  The menu takes some time to learn but the Premeire Package has everything and the way more sports channels.  The main channel i watched was the Big 10 Network.  As an Iowa Grad with a Penn State wife need that Channel for Football.  Also get the DirecTV Sunday Ticket which will be decent.

Comcast imo made a political decison more then a business decision.

Official Employee

Re: Big 10 Network - Dropping?!

@uihwki82 wrote:

I recently learned that you will be dropping the Big10  Network from my Denver, Colorado, channel lineup.   I understand that I could still stream the games but that doesn't allow me to use my DVR when I'm away from home during games.   Have you considered charging more for the Big10 Network?   I would pay extra to keep the the Big10 Network.  I hate to think of the hassle I'll go through switching cable providers but I'm prepared to do so.   Please reconsider your decision before the football season starts.    

Apologies. A lot of factors were involved into this decision, including viewership, customer impact, costs and our contract terms with this network. Some of that background was posted earlier in this thread.

To further clarify, to access BTN full coverage online, you would need to have BTN in your current level of service. The current contract terms with this network only allow online access to BTN for customers who have that channel in their level of service. That is how most all cable networks operate and this situation is standard across all video providers.

Details here: https://www.btn2go.com/page/btntv

BTN does offer a lot of highlights, interviews and profiles on their website, with no sign in or subscription required:  http://btn.com/

Details and pricing for an online subscription to BTN Plus (direct from BTN) can be found at the links below : 

https://www.btn2go.com/page/btnplus

https://www.btn2go.com/packages?type=0

Please note that  BTN Plus does not include Big Ten football games. 

My understanding is that BTN does not currently offer their channel as an a-la-carte offering to any video provider. That is, it not currently permissible to offer this network like an HBO or other premium channel at a stand-alone per-month charge, as much as our customers might desire that option.

Our programming teams and local management teams constantly evaluate programming choices and make decisions based on customer interests, costs, channel bandwidth management and contractual obligations.

Of course, situations may change based on customer demand, channel bandwidth opportunities, business opportunities, costs and contractual obligations

Thanks for your comments and your passion. They have been noted and shared with the right teams here at Comcast.   

Official Employee

@Pharrell2 wrote:

I voiced my displeasure on this board and it prety much went to deaf ears.

Frequent Visitor

Your comments and passion unfortunately don’t matter. Money talks! The more folks dump them for an alternate provider, the quicker they’ll understand the true meaning of “passion”! Their term passion is almost as funny as their term “footprint states” for where people watch the BTN.
Frequent Visitor

We need to walk in huge numbers. It’s the only options as these companies go bigger and bigger. Myself, and four family members dropped them after many years with COMCAST.
New Poster

Re: Removing big ten network

Comcast! You must be out of your GD Mind!!!!!!  I live in central Florida, getting my service out of Leesburg. Do you know that The Villages is just north of Leesburg? Do you know that there are 80,000 people who live there? Do you know that close to 70% of those folks are origionally from the Big Ten areas? EVERYONE who watches sports here if not a Gator or Seminole fan is a BIG TEN FAN.

Count me in as one of thousands who will be putting a dish on their house come this fall if this isn't restored.Having youtube IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR THE BIG TEN PROGRAMING!

This is a huge mistake on your part.

Please listen to your customers before they leave.

New Poster

BIG TEN NETWORK

BIG TEN NETWORK:

Are you people crazy??????? I get my comcast from the Leesburg Florida area.Just north of Leesburg is the Villages with over 80,000 residents. 70% of them ARE FROM BIG TEN AREAS!

I pay for dozens of Spanish speaking channels and I don't speak Spanish. I pay for two dozen premieum channels and I don't watch those! I pay for a hundred channels I don't watch.

I will be one of thousands here in central Florida putting a dish on my house come this fall.

You are making a HUGE mistake not servicing the retirement area , including snow birds here in central Florida.

Youtube IS NOT A ANSWER.

PLEASE save me from changing providers,which I am going to do if the Big TEn network is not restored in this area. 100% guarantee on that.

New Poster

Re: Big 10 Network - Dropping?!

I too am upset that Comcast dropped the BTN.  If the situation is not rectified by the start of Big Ten Football I will drop Comcast.  

Contributor

If this is true; when do you ever add channels? 

New Poster

In your reply as to what areas will still receive Big10 programming you mention West Virginia will still receive programming. I live in Wheeling West Virginia and am not receiving The Big Ten Network presently. Can you shed some light on this problem?

Official Employee

@WLinton wrote:

In your reply as to what areas will still receive Big10 programming you mention West Virginia will still receive programming. I live in Wheeling West Virginia and am not receiving The Big Ten Network presently. Can you shed some light on this problem?

Apologies. For areas of West Virginia where we already and currently offer this channel, we will continue to do so at this time. I don't have any additional information around Big 10 Network in your area of West Virginia right now.   

New Poster

I’m sorry I wasn’t clear in my original question. I did have Big10 programming in my channel selection prior to May 10’th. Will it be restored?

New Poster

The big 10 alumni network is the largest of any conference and is spread and prominent nationwide particularly in the greater New York tri-state area. To offer it only to New Jersey is ridiculous and shortsighted and ignores yhe thousands of alums in New York and Connecticut. If comcast xfinity doesn't restore the channel by September you will lose me and scores of others as customers! Goodbye after 20yrs.
New Poster

There are more than enoigh Big10 fans in the Atlanta area. I personally know many Penn State, Ohio State,Michigan and Michigan State plus the rest of the Big Ten. I too will change providers if comcast doesn't restore the channel by september.
Regular Visitor

Does Comcast realize that people travel away from the states they graduated college from?

There are hundreds of thousands of Big Ten grads and families all over the world. My wife and

I graduated from Purdue,our careers were in NY, and we now live in Fla. 

Do you really think we believe your lame excuse for taking away BTN?

New Poster

Yep - before football season begins - no BTN - no Comcast. I’m hoping they see the potential amount of lost business and reconsider adding it back.
New Poster

I live in West Virginia.  According to the message, I should be getting the Big 10 network.  It was previously on channel 192.  If it is moving, where will it be? 

Regular Visitor

Your ignorance on where college grads go after graduation is appalling. Just because you stayed

in your hometown after graduation from community college. Bottom line. Comcast raises fees while removing services. Customers should write their Congress reps and oppose the merger .

Frequent Visitor

You CANNOT watch LIVE Big Ten Football games on the Youtube feed for BTN!  What's wrong with you guys?  Subscribers to BTN want to see LIVE games!  not previews or highlights!  I have always loved X1 for the user interface and everything about it but you have now forced me to test the streamers and drop Xfinity TV.  Currently testing DirectvNow.  May try Youtube TV.  They seem to be the best so far and they carry BTN.  By the way I live in Georgia and could care less about the SEC network or Pac12 Network.

New Poster

Simple fix.  Drop Comcast.  I'm fortunate enough to have Google.  Thought I would miss the remote and I don't.  My original post was edited for content and even suggests inflammatory content and I assure you it did NOT contain anything inflammatory, just a few common sense statements from a long term customer point of view and instead of addressing them, you edit them.  nice.  glad I left you.  I'll pay my final bill today while kicking back, watching some BTN with well over 500M speeds both directions.  

cya,

husker in kansas 

Frequent Visitor

Comcast's decision to drop the Big10 Network is simply misguided.  I used them for twenty-five years and now have DirecTV.  My Brother, Sister's family, and Father In Law also all dropped Comcast.

Only voice we have is switching providers.

New Poster

I do not live in the covered areas and will be getting another carrier. You reviewed your options and now I must review mine.

New Poster

Agree.  Typical Comcast/Xfinity.  They don't tell you it's gone yet continue to charge for a service taken away.  They ride the revenue wave as long as possible.  I watched the channel regularly so I noticed less than 10 after it was cancelled.  I had to ask for the credit. It was not offered.  I also informed them that as other technologies catch up to their offerings they are going to lose a lot of business.  This is the time they need to look in the mirror and be the "service oriented customer centric" carrier.  Currently they are not.  As soon as I have all my research done on achieving all the answers to the channels I watch (ie Big Ten Network, etc)....Xfinity will be gone.  I have my time limit of 2 years since I didn't investigate quick enough before my last cycle expired.  That won't happen again.  Xfinity is on notice in my area.  I'm not the only one....and it appears there are many more in the same position than I thought after reading all these blogs.

Astalavista

New Poster

Going to look at Hulu in the future & if it goes well I will keep Comcast as internet provider only. They are covering the Big 10 & also local channels for about $40 per month from what I understand.
Good Luck!
Regular Visitor

It would be beneficial to see a Comcast response saying that they are either 1. In negotiations with BTN to add BTN back to non Big Ten areas or 2. There are no negotiations going on. 

New Poster

Agreed. Big Ten network back in Vermont by September or Dish will be the choice.
Frequent Visitor

Agreed. Big Ten Network on in Georgia by September 1 or Directv Now will replace Comcast.
New Poster

We already replaced Comcast TV with DirecTV.  We tried appealing for the channel to be reinstated on Comcast and were refused. 

Frequent Visitor

We did the same thing. Had been with COMCAST a long time and they just made this hasty decision without any customer input or options. Money is the only power we hold. Provide 300 channels of garbage and then remove Big10. Just wrong. They don’t seem to care nor listen.
Frequent Visitor

It has taken longer than I wanted, but I will be saying goodby to Comcast in less than 2 weeks.   I'm moving to a different internet provider and I have already switched to DirectvNow since they do offer the BigTen Network.   Comcast has lost another over-paying customer due to their Big10 decision.

Regular Visitor

I really like Xfinity except for the fact that they have removed from my Florida viewing area the Big Ten Network.  It is a must for me to be able to watch BTN live.  I have been hoping that Comcast's dropping of the BTN has just been a negotiating ploy, but it looks like it is for keeps.  There are many channels they could drop from my TV package that I would not care.  So many we do not watch. But the BTN is not one of them.  When I complained to a local customer service agent that it had been dropped, I was told that I could just stream it.  Well if I have to stream the BTN through another provider, I may as well just drop Comcast and get all my TV/internet from another provider.  Unlike when I lived in the north, I have two or three options for internet and TV in my large over 55 retirement community here in Florida, as well as several options for streaming.  It appears that I will be also switching away from Comcast.

Regular Visitor

As of this writing there have been 13,344 complaints about the removal of BTN from Comcast. Extrapolating that maybe only 5% know about the forum, means that, potentially,over

266,880 customers are angry about this move. This makes me wonder whether anyone at Comcast reads these forums. 

Now that net neutrality has been eliminated, expect more ignoring of what the customer wants.

New Poster

"Hello, I'm Tom Karinshak, Executive Vice President, Customer Service at Comcast. As a Comcast customer, you are priority number one. We have a dedicated team of employees across the country working hard every day to make sure we deliver the superior experience you deserve. We are here for you. If you have a question or a concern about your service, we have numerous ways you can reach us. Please choose one that's convenient for you and connect with our team."

This is from your website. I signed up for the sports package because of the BTN offering.  I have not read any hard evidence why the BTN was removed, and certainly, this move by Comcast is not in the spirit of Mr. Karinshak's customer service promise.  Comcast is a billion dollar company ready to purchase other billion dollar companies. In all of this, the customer who coughs up 10 bucks to see the Big Ten is lost.  Is continuing to provide the BTN for everyone who buys the sports packages such a tremendous financial hit for Comcast. I would guess the company would survive if the promised service we signed u for was not unexpectedly dropped.  I just don't get it. We pay for a service from a huge corporation. The service is dropped without any notice.  And we still pay for the service.   Where's the logic? And what happened to Mr. Karinshak's customer service promise?

New Poster

Thanks for the article from the Philadelphia Inquirer. Now, would you like to pay for my subscription so I can read the article?

New Poster

An evasive and stupid response.  It is all about football, and the loyalties to the Big Ten defy your simplistic demographic analysis.  Big Ten people are everywhere; the alumni fan base, especially for football, is national. You just don't get it.  How much money are you saving, anyway?

Frequent Visitor

For those of you that do not have another cable provider in your area that offers the Big10Network, the following streaming services do include the Big10Network (and access to btn2go) and are excellent replacements for Comcast:

• Hulu
  • FuboTV
  • PS Vue
  • DirecTV Now (in the $50+ plans)
  • YouTube (in the $45+ plans)

We are dropping Comcast completely to be replaced with a Fiber offering from a competitor and DirecTV Now. 
New Poster

Is there a chance that Comcast will reconsider the removal of Big Ten channel?. Lot of Big Ten fans in Florida
Regular Contributor

@tedkoms wrote:

"Hello, I'm Tom Karinshak, Executive Vice President, Customer Service at Comcast. As a Comcast customer, you are priority number one. We have a dedicated team of employees across the country working hard every day to make sure we deliver the superior experience you deserve. We are here for you. If you have a question or a concern about your service, we have numerous ways you can reach us. Please choose one that's convenient for you and connect with our team."

This is from your website. I signed up for the sports package because of the BTN offering.  I have not read any hard evidence why the BTN was removed, and certainly, this move by Comcast is not in the spirit of Mr. Karinshak's customer service promise.  Comcast is a billion dollar company ready to purchase other billion dollar companies. In all of this, the customer who coughs up 10 bucks to see the Big Ten is lost.  Is continuing to provide the BTN for everyone who buys the sports packages such a tremendous financial hit for Comcast. I would guess the company would survive if the promised service we signed u for was not unexpectedly dropped.  I just don't get it. We pay for a service from a huge corporation. The service is dropped without any notice.  And we still pay for the service.   Where's the logic? And what happened to Mr. Karinshak's customer service promise?

Read your bill, there was plenty of notice.
Regular Contributor

@Cold2 wrote:

It would be beneficial to see a Comcast response saying that they are either 1. In negotiations with BTN to add BTN back to non Big Ten areas or 2. There are no negotiations going on. 

There's nothing to negotiate, it's all done. If you're not in market you're out of luck.. Read the official answer, among others from employees.