Community Forum

Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

New Poster

Re: The Big Ten Network.

Hi ComcastTeds,

I just had a frustrating CS call and chat about BTN.  They're saying that I have to upgrade to the Sports and Entertainment package..  However, I live in New Jersey which is in the footprint so I should have BTN correct?  I have the following,  Limited Basic, Kids & Family,Entertainment, Sports & News.  I was able to watch BTN on Aug 31st but it seems to have vanished when I tried to watch last Saturday.   Thank you

PS.  I tried to PM you but I didn't see an option to do so.

Official Employee

@Natsus wrote:

Hi ComcastTeds,

I just had a frustrating CS call and chat about BTN.  They're saying that I have to upgrade to the Sports and Entertainment package..  However, I live in New Jersey which is in the footprint so I should have BTN correct?  I have the following,  Limited Basic, Kids & Family,Entertainment, Sports & News.  I was able to watch BTN on Aug 31st but it seems to have vanished when I tried to watch last Saturday.   Thank you

PS.  I tried to PM you but I didn't see an option to do so.

Apologies for the experience that you described above. Apologies also for the incorrect information that our agents provided. That should not have occurred.

In New Jersey, the Big Ten Network is not included in the Sports Entertainment Package, the Big Ten Network is included with one of the standard digital packages (channel 715 and in HD on channel 1313). I've asked one of our NJ team members to review your account and contact you directly so that we can get you Big Ten Network as soon as possible.

Apologies again and thanks for your patience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

While ComcastTed seems to know what’s going on Comcast-wide I detect a serious trend in this forum about how lacking customer support is in the Company. They need a time out and a nation-wide training session for all CS on BTN availability. This one-on-one fix is a sad bandaid approach.
Regular Contributor

@CampRandall wrote:
While ComcastTed seems to know what’s going on Comcast-wide I detect a serious trend in this forum about how lacking customer support is in the Company. They need a time out and a nation-wide training session for all CS on BTN availability. This one-on-one fix is a sad bandaid approach.

when over 50% of calls to 800-COMCAST goes to the Phillipeans, training is basically imp

New Poster

Thank you ComcastTeds.  I really appreciate it and I'm glad that there is someone informed over there.  It's frustrating being treated as if I did something wrong for not having BTN.  In general, all consumers know is that BTN was there, and it's gone.  I can't be expected to know all the ins and outs of contract disputes or that it was "moved" because of it.  I also think it's crazy to think a valid response to why I I don't have a channel is because it's it's on a higher tier or a different package without first communicating the reason of such.  It feels like a bait and switch and I understand that it's not Comcast's intention to do that, but the lack of communication doesn't help.

Official Employee

@Natsus wrote:

Thank you ComcastTeds.  I really appreciate it and I'm glad that there is someone informed over there.  It's frustrating being treated as if I did something wrong for not having BTN.  In general, all consumers know is that BTN was there, and it's gone.  I can't be expected to know all the ins and outs of contract disputes or that it was "moved" because of it.  I also think it's crazy to think a valid response to why I I don't have a channel is because it's it's on a higher tier or a different package without first communicating the reason of such.  It feels like a bait and switch and I understand that it's not Comcast's intention to do that, but the lack of communication doesn't help.

Apologies and agreed, you should not have to know all the ins and outs of our packages.

We should be able to provide that information to any customer clearly. Were you able to get Big Ten Network added to your account?  

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Re: Big Ten Network

I signed up for Xfinity after using Dish for the last couple years.  After a lot of hardship getting the install -- it was set-up; terrific deal on the starter package. Knowingly I did not get the BIG10 Network.

I received an email for $4.99/month Sports & Entertainment package -- that included BIG10. I called, and confirmed that BIG10 should be included (central Indiana (2 BIG10 Universities) Heartland Region).  Friday Sept 7th, I signed up for the package -- but since I have a good introductory offer, I had to pay the standard $10/month no contract cost. That night, NFL Redzone and other channels were on, but the BIG10 stated I needed to subscribe. After 2 hours on the phone Friday night, I was told I had to sign up for the 'Preferred' package, for much more money and 2 year contract. I double checked, and news stories implied it should be included. So Friday, I spent 3 hours, and I had 1 supervisor, Sandy say I should get it. She connected me to another person who said she was wrong, and she put me on hold and contacted Sandy -- who convinced her (mostly) that it seems I should. but she could not turn on the service for the heartland region -- but she would get back with me this week.  (After watching the Buckeyes vs Rutgers at Buffalo Wild wings Saturday, I tried again last night to 'chat' about it with Saud on the Xfinitity help line.  He said there was no plans for Indiana to include the BIG10.

New Poster

@ComcastTeds wrote:

@Natsus wrote:

Apologies and agreed, you should not have to know all the ins and outs of our packages.

We should be able to provide that information to any customer clearly. Were you able to get Big Ten Network added to your account?  

Yes, they were able to add it back in.  They had to upgrade me to the package that has BTN as my current level didn't have it anymore, but they comped me the difference for a year

New Poster

Could ComcastTed or another knowledgeable person confirm if Indiana should receive BIG10 Network -- with Basic package or with 'Sports Entertainment' addition?

New Poster

Not an expert by any means, but this is what I've found.  If you live in the footprint (and Indiana is one of them) you should get the Big 10 network, however, I don't believe it's in the basic package.  You'll have to go to a higher tier.  In my case, I was on Standard which used to have BTN but it was moved to the Select tier.  You should NOT need to get the Sports and Entertainment package since you are in footprint.  My suggestion is to call your local comcast corporate branch as they seem to be more knowledgable and willing to help.  I have sworn off calling the regular customer service and will be doing so for now on.  Maybe ComcastTed can do the same thing he did with me and have them call you directly.  Good luck.  

Official Employee

@jp46176 wrote:

Could ComcastTed or another knowledgeable person confirm if Indiana should receive BIG10 Network -- with Basic package or with 'Sports Entertainment' addition?

Apologies again for the confusion we caused around this. In Indiana (as with other states that are in Big Ten school footprint) the Big Ten Network is not included in the Sports Entertainment Package, the Big Ten Network is included with one of the standard digital packages (channel 255 and in HD on channel 1313). I've asked one of our Indiana team members to review your account and contact you directly so that we can get you Big Ten Network as soon as possible.

Apologies again and thanks for your patience.

New Poster

Thank you, but it is still not clear whether the much higher cost 'preferred package' is required.

Official Employee

@jp46176 wrote:

Thank you, but it is still not clear whether the much higher cost 'preferred package' is required.

Yes.  I asked one of our Indiana team members to review your account and contact you directly so that we can get you Big Ten Network as soon as possible and make this right. They will go over the details and options with you directly.

Digital Preferred is currently the minimum level of service that is needed for your account to get Big Ten Network.   Thanks again. 

New Poster

Thank you for your follow up. 

It does not make sense that the Big10 would not allow for their inclusion in a sports package.

I am not so desparate for the few BIG10 games, and their analysis shows to pay $50 more for a 'preferred digital' package.

Seems like bad business with very misleading advertising.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@jp46176 wrote:

Thank you for your follow up. 

It does not make sense that the Big10 would not allow for their inclusion in a sports package.

I am not so desparate for the few BIG10 games, and their analysis shows to pay $50 more for a 'preferred digital' package.

Seems like bad business with very misleading advertising.

The e-mail you received (thanks for sending that along so I could research further) was not the correct version for your area. That's our mistake and we will own that. 

As mentioned, we will make contact with you directly and make this right so that you will have Big 10 Network. 

Big 10 Network is available in our optional Sports Entertainment Package outside of Big 10 university footprint states. 

Apologies again for the issue and the experience, it should not have occurred.  Thanks again for your patience.