Community Forum

Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

Regular Contributor

Re: Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

You are one of the people like most of us on this thread.  We are out of the area customers who formerly  had BTN and like you watched it at least 6 months of the year.  Most of us are big fans of Big 10 (now 14) schools and alumnae who no longer live in their schools' vicinity.  If you look back on this thread you will see an email from a few days ago referring to Businessweek report that Comcast and FOX (who owns rights to BTN and FS1) have agreed on a contract.  We out of state people are wanting to know WHEN we will receive our regular BTN games live.  Out of state as I read it will now be covered through their sports and entertainment pkg.  I just went to mine to check out whether it is still there.  Mine is and for next Sat., Sept 1.  There is a Big Ten game TX vs Maryland showing at 12 noon.  I don't know if this is any help but you might want to check your FS1 for next week.  My personal preferrence game is being shown on regular broadcast ABC.  However I have no idea whether the following week my game witch should be shown on BTN will be available to me through FS1.  I guess we will have to wait and see.

Frequent Visitor

I looked at the listings this morning and there was no BTN (Portland, OR).  When I contacted customer support, they indicated that the network was working with BTN to return the service after July 31.  Of course, next year is after July 31.  So who knows what that really means.  But I guess there's still hope.

New Poster

Big Ten Network Channel

I live in Tavares,FL and had the Big Ten network channel until Comcast took it off in April 2018. Now that Comcast and the Big ten Network ;Fox Sports reached an agreement that will allow the channel to added back into the line up, when can I expect this? I subscribe to the Sports and Entertainment Package that is needed to receive the Big Ten Network Channel.  I know the news release said in the coming months, but Comcast took it off with a click, when can we expect it to be added? Why will it take so long? I don't want to miss all of the college sports that have already begun showing on the BTN channel.

Expert

Re: Big Ten Network Channel

@Huskerron wrote:

I live in Tavares,FL and had the Big Ten network channel until Comcast took it off in April 2018. Now that Comcast and the Big ten Network ;Fox Sports reached an agreement that will allow the channel to added back into the line up, when can I expect this? I subscribe to the Sports and Entertainment Package that is needed to receive the Big Ten Network Channel.  I know the news release said in the coming months, but Comcast took it off with a click, when can we expect it to be added? Why will it take so long? I don't want to miss all of the college sports that have already begun showing on the BTN channel.

I am just a forum member like the rest of you. I am in MN. and still get the channels. Maybe it's time to be realistic.

The chance of getting re-instated in none-Big 10 areas depends on how large the number of viewers were (or might be) in the metro-service area. The more people, the better chance.

For those posting complaints/ requests count up how many different people complained here on the different posts (I am one of you listed). We really are a rather small number, but it may help for some areas. Just be patent while they make their decisions for different areas.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

And, of course, for every person posting here there are "X" people who just accept it and don't bother to post.

New Poster

I live in the Orlando market. Still no BTN showing on my sports package. I have directv scheduled to install this Friday between 12-4 if it’s not back on Comcast by then.

Go Blue!
New Poster

Reinstating Big Ten Network

I recently hear the news that the Comcast / Big Ten Network contract dispute was resolved right in time for football season. Based on that I called in to add the entertainment package only to find that I could not find the BTN channel. After spending two hours on the phone it was revealed to me that because Florida dropped BTN back in April that I not only don’t have a channel I can tune into to watch BTN but my BTN 2 Go streaming service wont work either. At this point I have to cross my fingers that the issue is resolved before the first game on Saturday.
Tags (2)
Regular Contributor

Cherck for FS1.  That is where I saw a game added for next week end.  However, it is only one game and it is a TX and Maryland and later Sanantonio and AZ State.  That is as far out as I can see.  Not sure if it is the same for each area or just mine.  I too have been asking to see when we will get ALL the games.

Regular Contributor

Sounds sensible but we have been asking for info for a very long time.  I have contacted both Comcast and FOX where the info was provided.  I do see that there are some Big Ten games listed starting next week on FS1.

Regular Visitor

Saw the announcement a deal was reached. Part of the comment stating "in states outside the footprints, they will have it in a couple of months." What??!!!! Since I had BTN in the Sports add on for the last 9 yrs straight, just how exactly is this much more than flipping a switch back on??

I started a chat with tech support on Sat and was told the settlement is confirmed, and should have it back in the Sports and Entertainment add on tier "soon." I pleaded, if you had to guess and realize it is only a guess, what would you predict. He said, just a guess, it should be back part of the Sports tier in Colorado in a couple of weeks. Who knows if this is BS or not, but I will live my dream for 2 wks of expecting its return. If this takes a couple of months, Hello Dish.

Regular Visitor

Re: Reinstating Big Ten Network

Flight8, can you watch BTN live via Roku stick? And that is a one time purchase, not montly billing, correct? Thanks

Regular Contributor

Glad you added this to the thread and we can only hope this is true.  I see that if you check out FS1 you can see a couple games on starting this week.  However, as I have said, it doesn't look like they are actually putting the entire BTN back on; only a few games each week.  I think many of us will still have to find other ways to get our favorites.  I am hoping that I get an answer back to the three "Powers that be" from both Comcast and FOX that I wrote to after receiving the latest update.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

If a Big Ten school is the visiting team in a non-conference game, you should be able to watch on the network that has the rights to show the home team's games. For instance, if a Big Ten school plays at Notre Dame, that game will be televised by NBC.
New Poster

Big Ten Network

I have been able to recieve the Big Ten Network from its inception in 2006, as I have moved around the country. I am paying for the Comcast sports package and without notice you dropped BTN from my package. I only got the sports package ONLY for BTN. I guess you call this reverse technology. You now have a very unhappy customer as I am sure millions are nationwide. I get the feeling that you have put greed ahead of customer. Will drop sports package today and am calling Direct TV. Got a very lame response when I called Comcast customer service. Bye Bye Comcast.

Regular Contributor

Ed,  Be prepared to be disappointed with Comcast and FOX FS1.  I went to check ALL channels for 9/8 and none are carrying my team.  Guess, it is a preseason game  so they think we don't care.

Looks like it is time to move on to Better Service.

Frequent Visitor

Who is your team? What network are they on for Sept 8. There are numerous college football schedule websites that will show you every game and what network is carrying it. Networks currently are only announced thru Sept 15 games due to contracts with each conference. During the season, they typically have 13 and 6 day windows to pick which teams they will carry and the starting time. Big Ten networks are Fox, FS1, ABC, ESPN networks and BTN. Of course these only apply to Big Ten Home games. In road games, the host school determines the network that carries the game. For example, Michigan @ Notre Dame will be on NBC as all Notre Dame home games are on NBC. Hope this helps.
Regular Contributor

I'm a Buckeye born and bred so I live for college football.  I get ABC on the 1st and 15th but won't get the Rutgers game, even though those in NY/NJ area should be able to get the BTN.  BTN is no longer on my Comcast here in Florida.  I checked FS1 as they said that had agreed to carry BTN games, but on the 8th it is another Big Ten school from out of our area that is being broadcast.

Regular Contributor

@flight8 wrote:

I'm a Buckeye born and bred so I live for college football.  I get ABC on the 1st and 15th but won't get the Rutgers game, even though those in NY/NJ area should be able to get the BTN.  BTN is no longer on my Comcast here in Florida.  I checked FS1 as they said that had agreed to carry BTN games, but on the 8th it is another Big Ten school from out of our area that is being broadcast.

I think you misunderstood what was meant by "FS1 said they had agreed to carry Big Ten games."  As far as I know, no game is on both FS1 and BTN at the same time.  I think the "agreement" was to allow Big Ten games being aired on FS1 to be shown on Comcast.  BTN is the only network airing Ohio State-Rutgers on 9/15.  (And I see two Big Ten teams on FS1 that day - Michigan-Western Michigan at noon, and Minnesota-Fresno State at 7:30.

Official Employee

Re: Big Ten Network

@flight8 wrote:

All won't be good untill it is back on.  Now tell us in the outlying areas (Florida) when we can watch BTN???????????

As soon as there is additional information to announce. we will certainly do that here and in other places.

Thanks all for your continued patience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@Jkarlson wrote:
“In addition, in the coming months, customers outside of the Big Ten states will have access to the Big Ten Network as part of Comcast’s Sports and Entertainment Package.”
I live in Florida. When is this going to happen?

As soon as there is additional information to announce,  we will certainly do that here and in other places.

Thanks all for your continued patience.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

@flight8 wrote:

Below is a link to the current schedule of "televised"  NCAA football games. 

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-schedule-season-bowls-playoff/

Big Ten games of interest this week listed below: 

Thursday, 8/30

@7:00pm  New Mexico State @ Minnesota   BTN

@8:00pm  Northwestern  @ Purdue                 ESPN

Friday, 8/31

@7:00pm    Utah State @ #11 Michigan State   BTN

@9:00pm   WKU @ #4 Wisconsin                       ESPN

Saturday, 9/1 

@noon     Oregon State @ #5 Ohio State        ABC

@noon     #23 Texas @ Maryland                       FS1

@noon      Kent State @ Illinois                            BTN
@noon      Texas State @ Rutgers                       BTN

@3:30pm  Appalachian State @ Penn State    BTN 

@3:30pm  Northern Illinois @ Iowa                    BTN

@7:30pm  #14 Michigan @ #12 Notre Dame NBC

@8:00pm Akron @ Nebraska                               FOX

Schedule subject to change. 

Regular Visitor

Flight8, thanks for your work in trying to get an answer in regards to the out of market fans. I sometimes wonder why we continue to wait for Comcast to give us a clear answer. A few months is not close to a definitive answer and only frustrates all of us! Hopefully this will be resolved soon & we appreciate your persistence in this matter.
Official Employee

@George52 wrote:
Flight8, thanks for your work in trying to get an answer in regards to the out of market fans. I sometimes wonder why we continue to wait for Comcast to give us a clear answer. A few months is not close to a definitive answer and only frustrates all of us! Hopefully this will be resolved soon & we appreciate your persistence in this matter.

Apologies. The deal was announced last Friday evening at 5:46pm ET. 

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180824005448/en/Comcast-Fox-Networks-Group-Reach-Agreement-...

I know that the discussions and planning are now happening around our company on when we will be delivering on the commitments made so that we can bring the Big 10 Network to our customers who are not in "Big 10 school footprint" locations. 

Ideally, this will be sooner than later. As details emerge, we will certainly communicate them here and in other places as soon as possible.

Under the terms of the agreement, Comcast will continue to offer Big Ten Network to its customers who reside in states with Big Ten universities (Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin). Xfinity customers in Delaware, the District of Columbia, and the Northern Virginia/Beltway area will also continue to receive the network given their proximity to Big Ten schools. In addition, in the coming months, customers outside of the Big Ten states will have access to the Big Ten Network as part of Comcast’s Sports and Entertainment Package.

Thanks for your continued patience.  

Regular Contributor

Comcast Ted,

I do continue to hope until the very last minute.  It may not be a lot of use, but without hope we wouldn't have life.  Patient I am not.  Eager for football season, I am.  Please be know there are many of us who have waited only because it is difficult to change Email names in their address book and to relearn channel line-ups.  You have been helpful in getting this to the "powers that be" for what little good it has done thus far.  For those of us who watch ALL different games in the BTN being played on any given Sat.  the end arrives this week.

Regular Contributor

Thanks George,  I have not heard from Comcast or FOX  re the emails I sent to them asking for more info.  Like you, I am very frustrated that Comcast doesn't seek clarification for us.  I personally hope everyone who watches Big Ten football leaves Comcast in droves, but like Comcast, I truly doubt that happens.  It is the same for BTN as they haven't been cooperative either, at this point.

New Poster

Re: Sports and Entertainment Package - Florida?

Is the BTN on Comcast in Florida as of 8/30.
Contributor

You can check this website to see if the BTN is caried in your area.

http://btn.com/about/btn-channelfinder/

Regular Contributor

No and it appears it will not be.  Just scattered Big Ten games on FS1.  Hopefully Fox and FS1 will soon add all of the BTN programming but as of now -NO.  I really doubt if they add any more than one, 2 or possibly 3 per week.

Official Employee

@flight8 wrote:

No and it appears it will not be.  Just scattered Big Ten games on FS1.  Hopefully Fox and FS1 will soon add all of the BTN programming but as of now -NO.  I really doubt if they add any more than one, 2 or possibly 3 per week.

Just to clarify for Florida and other states - "will not be" is not accurate.  "Is not currently" is accurate.  Customers outside of the Big Ten states will have access to the Big Ten Network as part of Comcast’s Sports and Entertainment Package.

Details below:  

Under the terms of the agreement, Comcast will continue to offer Big Ten Network to its customers who reside in states with Big Ten universities (Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin). Xfinity customers in Delaware, the District of Columbia, and the Northern Virginia/Beltway area will also continue to receive the network given their proximity to Big Ten schools.

In addition, in the coming months, customers outside of the Big Ten states will have access to the Big Ten Network as part of Comcast’s Sports and Entertainment Package.

Contributor

BTN viewable via Fox Sports Go App?

BTN has been added to the FoxSportsApp which is available for most streaming device and also viewable at https://www.foxsportsgo.com/.  
Can one of you who is outside the Big 10 States please log into https://www.foxsportsgo.com/  with your Comcast credentials and check if it is possible to watch the BTN (via FoxSports)?

Frequent Visitor

Re: BTN viewable via Fox Sports Go App?

I tried to access BTN via Fox Sports Go from Oregon and was told it was not provided as part of my current television subscription.  I do have the sports package, so it should be included if it's available.  So no luck here.

Frequent Visitor

I’m in Georgia. Just downloaded the FoxSportsGo App and signed in using my Xfinity credentials. I attempted to watch the program currently playing on BTN and received an error message that basically states my TV provider doesn’t allow access to this program. Comcast has us locked out completely in any way we try to get BTN. Looks like the clock is ticking. Sept 1 is close. DirecTVNow, YouTube TV and others are going to be picking up some customers. How stupid of Comcast to let this happen. It can’t take that much effort to get BTN back on in the outlying states. Maybe they are really using this as a test of our loyalty? I already have DirecTVNow and will unhook Xfinity TV on Sept 1 if BTN is not available in Georgia. DirecTVNow is month to month with no contract.
Frequent Visitor

I have the “Sports & Entertainment Pkg”
Contributor

A bunch of us in my neighborhood in a suburb of Houston left Comcast for DirecTV in April when this entire thing started and have had no issues.  Plus we received $ 300 in giftcards for bundling.  In addition, we also received NFL Sunday Ticket free for the first year.  I concur after twenty-five years it was a pain to changes emails etc... but in the end Comcast completely ignored their entertainment and service obligations in my opinion.  DIRECTV has a lot more sports channels.

Frequent Visitor

While I think it's advisable to keep the pressure on Comcast to get a deal done with BTN, I'm a bit amazed that BTN is pretty silent publicly on the issue.  It would be helpful if the regional network weighed in on its efforts going into the season.  There are several Big10 ranked teams and I wonder if BTN has considered the "other relevant factors" criteria in the College Football Playoff system?  A nation-wide following, which equates to TV share, might be one way the final four are chosen.  As a Badger fan I'd like to see no stone unturned by the BTN when it comes to the selection is Wisconsin wins the conference.

Contributor

Thank you to everyone that tested the FoxSportsGo App outside of the Big 10 states.   It was a long shot, but I thought it had a chance of working.

Regular Contributor

I'm a Buckeye through and through but when not watching them we watch any and all of the BTN football and basketball games.  With several teams in the top TEN I did write to BTN as well as FOX and Comcast.  BTN is owned by FOX and they have been answering but not anything definite time table.  However, I do get periodic emails and ads from BTN.  You may possibly check out their website as well as email them.  We should keep the pressure on all three divisions.  Since Comcast is the actual carrier I feel it is their responsibility but BTN should definitely feel that for their own sake they want as many viewers in the fan base as possible.

Regular Contributor

Our son and DIL from NC are huge football fans and they have Direct TV and totally agree with you.

I live in a CONDO and need Comcast or ATT for internet and I need ATT for a landline phone.  Thus to have a service provider it needs to be either ATT or Comcast and the packages for both are the same. I definitely prefer Comcast internet to ATT, but if they don't get this cleared up soon I am going to have to hold my nose and choose.  Certainly not happy about it.  I am sure all of us have reasons for what and how we choose, but one would certainly think COMCAST could put some force on thier sports and entertainment upper mat. staff.  Thanks for your say on the FOX TO GO.  I am planning on using Direct TV Now.  I will check out the difference in price.  I hear YOU TUBE's NOW app is good, too.

Regular Contributor

I'll definitely give it a try from South Florida.

Regular Contributor

I'm going to try to accesss it through my ROKU player on my Comcast.  I will let you all know it that bypasses it.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Regular Contributor

We have sports and ent. as well but only a couple BTN games are onl each Sat. so far.  Won't satisfy most of us.  

Regular Contributor

Eastmoreland.  I do totally agree with you.

Regular Contributor

Hi guys,  I just tried and called 1-855-629-5550 for FOX Sports Go.com .  We struck out.  BTW, that is the exact same channel on ROKU as FOX Sports, in case you can't find it.  first, you have to have a service provider (Comcast) and you can get all the same things that are being carried on FS on or any other FOX channel at that time.  Is is easy to use and the picture is great but you may only get the game that is playing at that time.  So 2nd, if you can already get it on a channel there is no need to access FOX to see the same thing.  FOX Now is a pay app.

Regular Visitor

I live in Wheeling, WV which sits right in between Ohio State and Penn State.  BTN is no longer part of my channel listing even though I have the Sports and Entertainment Package.  I tried going through the BTN2Go app, but it says I don't have access to the channel.  I looked at the press release concerning the contract dispute and it says that "Xfinity customers in Delaware, the District of Columbia, and the Northern Virginia/Beltway area will also continue to receive the network given their proximity to Big Ten schools".  Well...I'm less than 200 miles away from OSU and PSU and still don't get the channel.  I'm literally 10 miles in either direction from being in Ohio or Pennsylvania.  Why wouldn't BTN be a part of my area's channel listing?  The OSU vs. Rutgers game is 10 days away.  BTN better become available by that time or Comcast will lose another customer.

Official Employee

@opurt wrote:

BTN has been added to the FoxSportsApp which is available for most streaming device and also viewable at https://www.foxsportsgo.com/.  
Can one of you who is outside the Big 10 States please log into https://www.foxsportsgo.com/  with your Comcast credentials and check if it is possible to watch the BTN (via FoxSports)?

ONLINE ACCESS

The current contract terms with Fox only allow online access to Big Ten Network for customers who have that channel (Big Ten Network) in their level of service.

That is how most all cable networks operate and this situation is standard across all video providers.

Below from the Fox Sports Go site: https://www.foxsports.com/fsgo-faq?nav=false

*You need to receive these channels in your TV channel line-up in order to watch them in FOX Sports GO. 

New Poster

Big Ten Network

When is the Big Ten Network returning to Florida? We live in an area with lots of snowbirds from Ohio and other Big Ten states, and we NEED the BTN!
New Poster

Just got off the phone and it is not available in CA, but I did find out that it will be an extra $10 a month.  I found this on The DAily News Philly.com :

Earlier this year, Comcast cancelled the option for Xfinity customers outside of Big Ten's home turf to watch the games on the sports package. Comcast says it will make the Big Ten Network available in the "coming months" in those states outside the Big Ten as part of the $10-a-month sports package.

So there is no way we will have it in time for this Thursday's Minnesota game.

New Poster

Sorry but I am tired of dealing with Comcast.  We have had nothing but trouble when we upgraded to Xfinity.  This is just one more straw that willbreak the camels back.  Direct TV is looking better and better, and that means we willbe switching our internet too.

New Poster

So you show us the list, but we can not watch BTN so why bother!!!!!

Regular Contributor

Sharkie,  I've been paying the $10 upgrade charge forever + had to pay an extra 10 for BTN.  I actually could get it on 472 (HD) with was a 10 extra.  Would not allow BTN without it.  However, I could still get it in their sports and ent. pkg.  So, had to actually pay 20 extra to get it (and then got it on 2 channels).  Go figure.  After they cancelled it I cancelled the extra that was the 10 for 472 but still have to pay 10 for sports and ent.  I now get BTN noplace unless it is whatever is showing on 450 FS1.  Big Bummer.