Community Forum

Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

Regular Contributor

Re: Big Ten Network (yes or no?)

Many of us have paid for the sports package for many years; several decades and even paid extra

to receive the BTN.  All to no avail when the might dollar is at stake.  BTN also says that Comcast is not willing to negotiate so it appears that those of us outside the actual Big Ten area need to start negotiating with other companies to get service of what schools they want to watch.  First games are just around the corner.

Contributor

I've been testing DirecTV Now (which includes the Big Ten Network) on both multiple Roku models and a AppleTV4k.    All the devices offer excellent picture quality which is miles better than the old feed we received from Comcast.   This is not a fair comparison since Comcast only carried the Standard Definition feed of the Big10  Network here in San Jose, California.    The High Definition stream of the Big 10 Network on the Rokus and AppleTV is excellent and does compare favorably to any of the high def channels I previously received from Comcast.

The DirecTV Now interface is painfully slow on even the most recent Rokus.  Fortunately, the interface is very fast and responsive on the AppleTV.

The AppleTV would be the clear winner if it was not for one issue: AppleTV does not have an App for BTN2Go! 

Our plan is to use the AppleTV for viewing content on DirecTV Now and the Big 10 Network.   We will use the Roku for viewing BTN2Go. 

@opurt wrote:

@flight8 wrote:

It is GONE from Comcast Xfinity.  I have found that through ROKU you can get direct TV channel added at a price (about 75) per month.  Only have to subscribe for the months we want.  Not a very good option since we pay over 200. for Comcast TV ISP and Internet, but at least we should be able to get it.  Trying to see if anyone has found any better solutions.

The following streaming services do include the Big10Network (and access to btn2go):

• Hulu
  • FuboTV
  • PS Vue
  • DirecTV Now (in the $50+ plans)
  • YouTube (in the $45+ plans)

There may be additional options in your  area.   Please check out http://www.keepbigten.com/ and click on the "Find Alternate BTN Providers.  After entering your zip code, you will get a list of options.

DirecTV Now at https://www.directvnow.com/appletv  is currently offering a free AppleTV 4K if you pre-pay for 3 months.   There is also a free Roku promotion at https://www.directvnow.com/rokunow for pre-paying for 1 month.   While the video quality of DirecTV now has been great on the roku, the interface is very slow and there has been issues with the ability to play on-demand content (most shows aired in the past 72 hours).   These issues supposedly do not exist on the other platforms they support (which is why I ordered the free AppleTV).

Regular Contributor

Thanks for letting us know.  I can't use BTN2GO as you have to have Comcast BTN connection to use it.  I will no longer have that.  Someone said that YOUTUBE does have some level that does carry Live TV so possibly will have live football.  I know there is an extra charge but have not looked into that yet.So happy you have found a solution.  Since we just bought 2 new 4K tv's I don't think we will invest in an Apple TV.  Super post though.

New Poster

Re: Anyone else contact xfinity about big 10 network being dropped?

You seem to be just saying words. There is no way that the games are going to show up on new channels just because Comcast isn't carrying them.

Frequent Visitor

The only way Comcast will react is through their pocketbook. If everyone concerned drops the sports package perhaps they will get the hint. It’s always all about dollars and cents. The other option is to from Comcast altogether.
New Poster

BTN Network

Keep this network or lose me as a long time customer.

Problem Solver

Re: BTN Network

BTN Network programming changes apparently are regional.  Where are you?

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Regular Contributor

I have multiple times.  Also, the BTN.  Also, Direct TV.  The main tv channels have always carried the majority of the BIGTEN football games, so I am hoping we don't miss more than 2-3 that we have to find another way to watch or listen to.  I will use Direct TV Now on Roku or possibly just listen on Sirius radio.  That now is also available on Roku so it is another option.

Regular Contributor

Not new channels but always have been on ABC channel and ESPN.  I also offered other ways to possibly watch or listen.  Comcast and BTN have both agreed that there does not seem to be any agreement for contract at this time.  We have to choose what is available.

Regular Contributor

At this time it appears that will not happen.  You must choose what and where you can get your games.

Regular Contributor

I'm in Fouth Florida, east coast, and it appears we do have to find another source.  Definitely at this point BTN is not being offered by Comcast.

Regular Contributor

Sorry,  Should have caught the mistake.  I am in South Florida market of Comcast.  No BTN on

Comcast.

Contributor

Yes - lots of us just walked away.  Signed up with DirecTV after 25 years with Comcast.  They want to play games so many of us you left.  Simple solution, money is the only option we have left.  No desire to wait and play their political and economic non-sense.  DirecTV gave me $ 300 and my Brother 

$ 350 in gift cards and so far no issues and its like 60 bucks cheaper with more channels.  Enough of Comcast for me.

Regular Contributor

Ranger, who do you use for internet service?

Regular Visitor

I moved to Direct TV as soon as I heard. I was planning the move in advance of X's announcement since they wouldn't broadcast BTN in HD here in northern California. Great picture and great customer service the few times I've had to call. 

Wonder how many X subscribers this is costing them?

Regular Contributor

I hope a BUNCH.  A BIG Bunch.

@Mark94945 wrote:

I moved to Direct TV as soon as I heard. I was planning the move in advance of X's announcement since they wouldn't broadcast BTN in HD here in northern California. Great picture and great customer service the few times I've had to call. 

Wonder how many X subscribers this is costing them?

New Poster

Re: Removing big ten network

This a long winded BS response to ignoring the largest group of Alumni and fans across the country. I imagine it’s hard sitting in PA and having no personal impact from this decision to realize its effect. You have a group here that was eager and willing to pay extra!! Again, Big Ten colleges have a extremely large loyal and very passionate NATIONAL alumni and fan base. I’m sitting in Atlanta, surrounded by SEC fanatics and treasured the ability to watch my Nittany Lions. I have been an loyal comacast customer for over 20 years....this move will end our time together. Hello DirecTV!!
Regular Contributor

Yes,  I totally feel the same pain here in South Florida for my Buckeyes.  However, no matter which team, WE WILL find ways to dump Comcast and find our BTN and college football games.  The season is just around the corner.

New Poster

As a BigTen alumni that lives in Fort Myers area, I'm disapointed.  I live in a large community with a cable contract.  I'll work with our leadership to move our contract from Comcast to another vendor.   I don't see another option at the moment.

Regular Visitor

Looks like Comcast will be in for big loss come Sept. if things aren’t resolved by End of August. I will look seriously at AT&T since my son already made the change.
New Poster

Agree with dksdr1.  I live in S Florida in a community of 2,500 homes. Big10 flags and even an Iowa Hurke statue.  Of the 24 guys in my golf group, over half are Big10 fans.  On Saturday morning during football season, Big10 flags are flying everywhere, and the games are on in the clubhouse --- luckily the club has "Direct-tv".  This is not good.  3 of the first 4 Penn State games are on BTN and FS1. I cancelled by Sports Package until Comcast gets BTN back on.

Valued Contributor

"Big Ten Net Spot Could Escalate Comcast Carriage Dispute"

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2018/08/09/Big-Ten.aspx

Regular Contributor

I recently saw the ad and it is great.  Possibly that may help.  Comcast is being a true jerk to its customers and just supporting its own pocket.

Highlighted
New Poster

TruTV and Big Ten

Already lost TruTV, and now I'm hearing we will lose Big Ten on 9/1?  I'd like to know what sports channel is more watched in the heart of the BIG10. 

New Poster

Is this still an accurate statement?  Big Ten Channels and FSI are NOT being removed from line-ups where Big Ten schools are located?  We will drop Comcast faster than you can blink if the BTN network and FSI are removed from the line up.  The amount of money we already pay to have cable and then to lose sports channels we rely are, NOT a good combination.   

Regular Contributor

Re: TruTV and Big Ten

You are in Indiana, it appears.  If so, you should not be losing B10.  They are keeping it in areas where there are Big Ten schools.  It is those of us who live out of B10 states that have to find other ways to watch it.

New Poster

Re: TruTV and Big Ten

In a chat this morning with Comcast, they are telling me they are in negotiations and that currently the lineup is scheduled to end August 31st.  Sounds like we're losing it unless they can reach an agreement.

Regular Contributor

@Smiles42418 wrote:

Is this still an accurate statement?  Big Ten Channels and FSI are NOT being removed from line-ups where Big Ten schools are located?  We will drop Comcast faster than you can blink if the BTN network and FSI are removed from the line up.  The amount of money we already pay to have cable and then to lose sports channels we rely are, NOT a good combination.   

It's not that FS1 would be removed entirely; it's that (some? all?) Big Ten football games on FS1 would be blacked out to Comcast customers.

Also, even if they do "pull the plug" on 9/1, I would assume that they would remain in negotiations until they come to some agreement.  Then again, considering that Comcast doesn't carry Fox Sports 2, who knows how long that will take.

Regular Contributor

I think you pretty well have the same impression about it that I do.  However, I am not sure that either side, from what I have been told, is still negotiating.  I would personally like to think they are and that they care about their customers, but I really don't think they do care at all.

New Poster

Receiving BTN was one of the primary reasons that I renewed my contract.  If I had known that ComCast was not going to make BTN avaialbe I would have gone to anothr provider.

If you wexpect me to contract with comcast, you need to get the BTN network

Regular Contributor

I totally agree.  Though I had had Comcast almost 40 years (give or take) they have truly done nothing to gain my loyalty.  I have told them that is many ways.  They truly don't care.  I just entered this forum to let people know that it appears they will do nothing to help us.  They only want what is right for their pocketbook and think that will serve us in the long run.  Truly so disappointed with their service.

New Poster

Georgia Channels

I live in Atlanta Georgia and the Big Ten Network is not available.  Are there plans to restore it before football season???  If not, will you waive cancellation fees for cancelling?  I signed up a triple play promotion which doesn't expire until April of 2019 which wil be too late for me to change to Uverse before the season begins.

New Poster

Started contacting them back in April when we lost it here in Colorado.  They dropped back then in states where there are no Big Ten Schools.  The states with Big Ten Schools that contract ends Sep 1, 2018.  Have yet to hear anything about them bringing it back.

New Poster

So I live in SE Massachusetts and get the SEC and PAC 10 networks, but can no longer get the BIG10? This was my only reason for getting the sports package. Don't they get that there are a lot of BIG10 state tranplants and alumni all over the nation, includingNew England. I'm done with comcast. 

Regular Contributor

It certainly appears to me that the "get it" and they really don't care.  Only their pocketbook counts to them.  BTN says that they don't appear to want to remain in negotiations.

New Poster

count me in on leaving xfinity - bought the sports package awhile back to enjoy Big 10 in Nashville, overall been happy with the service.  Read through the thread, only real way to get the Big 10 is to buy another service which means farewell.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for your support.  We need to all band together.

Frequent Visitor

Another SE Mass subscriber here, and same for me--the reason I purchased the Sports package was the Big Ten notwork. Question for any of the Comcast folks here--if we drop this package, does that constitute a service change that would remove other channels like Investigation Discovery and WE?

Thanks

Regular Contributor

I cancelled my sport pkg. for BTN and haven't lost anything else, yet.  Who knows.  This is a "one off" as far as I know.  The two companies contracts came to an end and they haven't been able to reach an agreement that would allow Comcast to continue broadcasting BTN in areas that do not contain a big 10 school.

New Poster

This is just Comcast getting greedy.

if this is not resolved by Sept. 1, I will be dropping my Comcast cable and switching to YouTube TV  that has BYN + Netflix.

goodbye Comcast!

Regular Contributor

Just remember you must have the YouTube live to see games the day they are played as well as Direct TV NOW is the only Direct TV that carries live games.

Regular Contributor

Re: Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

Speedracer.  I believe if there is a contract that has been broken we could do that.  however, I do think the company has the right to negotiate and Comcast says it is BTN that is not cooperating.  Of course, BTN says it is Comcast who is unwilling.  I am not sure we poor customers have any thing we could really do, other than leave Comcast.

Regular Visitor

If you google big 10 comcast there are a couple of good articles concerning the negotiations. Hope they get it in gear since we are down to about 13 days before cutoff.

Regular Contributor

I so agree.  I also received a notice today from ROKU, which we subscribe to,  telling us the different channels that will be broadcasting live college football games.  So far my best options are still Direct TV Now through ROKU and YouTube live, also through ROKU.  However, they did list Hulu and a couple other places to see the games.

Problem Solver

I"m gonna miss the B10 games this fall.

Regular Contributor

I certainly hope there will be some way you might be able to see the ones that mean the most to you.

Contributor

Comcast has dropped beIN Sports

In addition to the dropping of the BigTen Network in the out of market areas and the likely potential for a complete drop of the BTN and Big 10 games on Fox Sports 1 on September 1, Comcast has already dropped beIN Sports.  Details at:  https://www.xfinity.com/facts/beinsports

Regular Contributor

Re: Comcast has dropped beIN Sports

Thanks about the BeIn sports.  I am sorry but that isn't a broadcast channel that I am familiar with.

I guess Comcast has been having a lot of problems with carrying sports in general.

Thanks for making us aware of this.

New Poster

Big Ten Network

Will the Big Ten Network be available after August 31 in my area?

Problem Solver

Re: Big Ten Network

This is primarily a peer-to-peer public Community Forum of Comcast customers.  There are some Comcast reps that monitor posts, but don't generally have access to customer records unless they decide to take that step.  You might identify what zip code/region you are in, in case someone can answer your question.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)