Community Forum

Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

Regular Contributor

Re: Removing big ten network

I'm a 40 year customer with Comcast and ready to give them the heave ho.  Looks like we won't get any satisfaction and out of their millions of customers they don't care how many are Big 10 Alumnae.

Regular Contributor

Exactly.

Regular Contributor

When I spoke to a couple of the "power that be" from Comcast I was told it was like when they no longer carried Hallmark Hall of Fame for several years, and that maybe, eventually they would get them back.  Yes, believe that one and I will sell you an iceberg here in South Florida today (where it is 93 degrees and a heat index of 100+.  Ready for football.

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the honesty.

New Poster

If Comcast removes the Big Ten Network, I WILL be cancelling my phone/internet/tv subscription.  This is absolutely unacceptable!

Regular Contributor

It is a fact that they are removing it.  I, too, pay for all 3 and extra for the Big 10 and several other devices and I am not sure what I will do.  The Direct TV through my ROKU seems to me at this point my best suggestion and they will decide if I must change to ATT.  I am so preturbed about it.  I really don't want to change my very old email address and all the other things attached to making a change to another ISP.  However, it is fact, and we don't get any options.  Plain not fair.  All we can hope is that CBS and the other channels that carry Big Ten will pick up the other games that we used to get on Big 10.

Contributor

I went through the same exact thing.  Changed my @comcast.net email after 25 years.  I enjoy DirecTV.  Internet and phone are about the same.  

Comcast abandon us without even a debate so I spilt and have no regrets.  Plus for the folks with moderate incomes Comcast also pulled the NFL Network off its lower tier and moved it up for more money.  Important to note that the FOX now has the Thursday Night Games so after the all the Comcast / 20th Century Fox buyout drama which Disney won Comcast was again playing games.

Regular Contributor

Sure would hate to move to ATT and then not like it as well.  In our Condo complex Xfinity and ATT are our only real options.  I guess I could get Direct TV through our ROKU and smart TV without the cable but I need something for the internet anyway.  I seems Comcast has my hands tied much more than I would like.

Contributor

Re: Big Ten Network (yes or no?)

@flight8 wrote:

It is GONE from Comcast Xfinity.  I have found that through ROKU you can get direct TV channel added at a price (about 75) per month.  Only have to subscribe for the months we want.  Not a very good option since we pay over 200. for Comcast TV ISP and Internet, but at least we should be able to get it.  Trying to see if anyone has found any better solutions.

The following streaming services do include the Big10Network (and access to btn2go):

• Hulu
  • FuboTV
  • PS Vue
  • DirecTV Now (in the $50+ plans)
  • YouTube (in the $45+ plans)

There may be additional options in your  area.   Please check out http://www.keepbigten.com/ and click on the "Find Alternate BTN Providers.  After entering your zip code, you will get a list of options.

DirecTV Now at https://www.directvnow.com/appletv  is currently offering a free AppleTV 4K if you pre-pay for 3 months.   There is also a free Roku promotion at https://www.directvnow.com/rokunow for pre-paying for 1 month.   While the video quality of DirecTV now has been great on the roku, the interface is very slow and there has been issues with the ability to play on-demand content (most shows aired in the past 72 hours).   These issues supposedly do not exist on the other platforms they support (which is why I ordered the free AppleTV).

Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info.  Limited space in our apt. for another tv and I just bought 2 new BIG screen 4Ks this summer.  I also have two new Roku players.  Love it.  I may try the Roku for BTN first and then may have to change.  Thanks for the options.

Expert

Re: BTN

@andyross wrote:

According to one article, in Big10 states, they get over $1.30/customer!!! What percentage of Comcast subscribers actually watch B10? Cord cutting is getting bigger and bigger, and overpriced sports networks are the biggest money.

I do for one. But it is still here in Minnesota.  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Goodbye BIG TEN NETWORK

Only available in States that have team in that state. We list it here in Colorado and you may too Sep 1st
New Poster

We lost it in Colorado too....more Nebraska Husker fans here than Colorado Buffs fan
Highlighted
New Poster

So more Nebraska Husker fans in Denver Colorado metro than Colorado fans and you drop Colorado. Your company has no clue where Big 10 Fans are located. Bring it back to Colorado.
Regular Contributor

Re: Goodbye BIG TEN NETWORK

No Big Ten schools in Florida.

Regular Contributor

I totally agree with you and that was my point.  Powers that be have no clue and the 100,00 alums in Florida from the Big 10 schools must not matter.  Obviously Comcast doesn't have as many customers as they think they do.  Same in other sections.  They had the audacity to tell me that I can get PAC 10 schools.

Regular Contributor

Re: big ten network

No reason to call with my feedback asking for the BigTen to be added back to my account.  I have been begging since I heard it was leaving back in March.  I must have called and written a dozen times.  No use pleading.  I was told they are NOT doing it.  They did have the audacity to tell me that I can get the PAC 10 if I want it with all the California schools.    They just don't get it that there are not a lot of options for us in South Florida or we wouldn't be pleading with Comcast.  It would be much easier just to cancel.  The advice to get Big Ten to Go is out as the only way to get that is it has to be carried on your ISP.  If my ISP carried it I wouldn't have to request a separate channel to get it.  BTN was a regular channel till April.  Unless Comcast is going to put it back in their lineup they certainly don't have to ask me to recommend them to friends.  I highly would recommend that friends use someone else and not go through this grief.  Once again the mighty dollar wins out.  I currently pay over 200. per month and that is without any extras; just channel line-up and internet.

Regular Contributor

Re: Big Ten Network > Spring 2018

This pretty well does describe it.  However, I have found that if I add Direct TV Now to my RoKU I

should be allowed to get live BTN games.  So far this is the only choice I have found that will work.

YouTube with was suggested has no live games.  I am Buckeye Strong and I want my college football.  I may have to pay $75. per month just for it. but I have been told it was support it.  Hopefully you might want to try the same thing.  I have been totally infuriated by Comcast.

Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone else contact xfinity about big 10 network being dropped?

I did it online through the Comcast link I was provided by one of the MANY people I first spoke with by telephone.  Their service is so poor and with the different FCC takeovers that are happening I doubt if anything good will come from this.  BTN to go will not work with Comcast; You Tube does not work with live football games and Direct TV through my Roku at a high price per month is all I have found.  I was told that BTN and FOX and FS1 may also not carry the games.  Hoping that may CBS may carry most if not all of them.

Regular Contributor

Re: BTN observation- What is the point of the "sports/entertainment package"?

My local Comcast was charging an extra $5,00 per month but guess that wasn't enough.  That was on top of it being offerered in the Sports portion of their package.  Totally ripping us off.  Still, BTN is gone.

Regular Contributor

Re: Big 10 Network - Dropping?!

That is exactly the only reason that I havn't cancelled them.  I hate their service and no one seems to care.  I have complained to everyone at Comcast who will listen multi-times.  Begging and pleading is not part of my manner and I am tired of having to do it for naught.  Talked to BTN; they blamed BTN.  Talked to Comcast they blame BTN.  At this point I am sick and tired of both.  

Valued Contributor

@flight8 wrote:

I did it online through the Comcast link I was provided by one of the MANY people I first spoke with by telephone.  Their service is so poor and with the different FCC takeovers that are happening I doubt if anything good will come from this.  BTN to go will not work with Comcast; You Tube does not work with live football games and Direct TV through my Roku at a high price per month is all I have found.  I was told that BTN and FOX and FS1 may also not carry the games.  Hoping that may CBS may carry most if not all of them.

CBS hasn't had rights to the Big Ten Conference since 1986.

Regular Contributor

YouTube does not carry LIVE college Football, only get to see it that way After the Fact.  I am going to use Direct TV Now through my ROKU and hopefully that will work.  I spoke with Direct TV and they told me it would.  Att is the only other option in my area and now that they have merged with Direct TV it appears they MAY carry it.

Regular Contributor

Will you be able to get Live Football with BTN on your Google?  I am presuming it is a Google TV.  How do you pick your channel plan with Google TV?

Regular Contributor

But only direct TV Now carries live TV.  None of the others do.

Regular Contributor

Well, if not CBS, then possibly NBC or someone else.  We only had 2 or 3 that were BTN .

Official Employee

@opurt wrote:

@ComcastTeds wrote:

Comcast’s agreements with content providers, like the Big Ten Network, expire from time to time. We are communicating with the Big Ten Network about continuing to carry it after August 31 and look forward to productive negotiations.

This topic has been open since April and this is the first response from Comcast where the (highly probable) dropping of the Big Ten Network in ALL markets is mentioned.   It is also interesting that Comcast is using the term "continuing to carry" rather than "restore coverage in all areas".

Below is the current  "Accepted Solution" from April 12.   Is Comcast committing to honor the "The Big Ten Network in-market feed, available to customers in Big Ten states in the regular channel line-up, will continue to be available."  portion?  

This total lack of transparency coupled with Comcast's extremely poor and dishonest treatment of their loyal customers will continue to drive subscribers to other providers.

@ComcastTeds wrote:

All - thanks for your feedback and passion. It has been noted and shared. 

As of this month, Big 10 Network (BTN) is being removed from the Sports & Entertainment package for areas that are out-of-market, meaning this will not impact customers who live in an area with a school in the Big 10 conference. 

The areas that will continue to receive BTN are Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, District of Columbia, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia.

The Big Ten Network in-market feed, available to customers in Big Ten states in 
the regular channel line-up, will continue to be available.

Will get that earlier post updated with the newer information. 

Comcast’s agreements with content providers, like the Big Ten Network, expire from time to time. We are communicating with the Big Ten Network about continuing to carry it after August 31 and look forward to productive negotiations.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

Comcast Ted, is Comcast negotiating an out of market contract with the Big 10?
Yes or no?
Yes or no?
A lot of us live out of market and we want a simple answer!
Frequent Visitor

The Big Ten has Football TV contracts with ABC/ESPN, Fox/FS1, and BTN. This whole mess revolves around Comcast agreeing to carry BTN and apparently FS1(for Big Ten LIVE football games). We just heard about FS1 being a part of this mess recently. Most assuredly this is a tense negotiation but Comcast should certainly consider the ramifications to a very large customer base if they don’t get it resolved quickly. The closer we get to Sept 1 without an agreement, the more clients they are certain to lose!
Official Employee

@George52 wrote:
Comcast Ted, is Comcast negotiating an out of market contract with the Big 10?
Yes or no?
Yes or no?
A lot of us live out of market and we want a simple answer!

I am not privy to those direct conversations, but my reasonable assumption is that all things like that would be part of any discussion and negotiation.  It takes two parties to negotiate and come to an equitable agreement. 

As with any network contract, we want to come to an agreement that offers the best terms for our customers and our company that keeps both our costs and our customer's monthly costs to a minimum.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Certainly would like to see an agreement between the two.  However, not holding my breath.  Easier to say good by to Comcast after nearly 40 years.  What a shame.  The update seems unnecessary and it offers NO Solution to those of us alums from out of the area.

Regular Contributor

Sept 1 is almost too late.  I dropped the extra cost sports package and I am sure Comcast isn't going to notify us all if they do put it back.  I guess we should say welcome to ATT and Direct TV NOW.  

The heck with asking any of us if we would have paid more to keep out Big Ten Network coverage under the Comcast contracts.  BTN has told me the ball (no pun intended) is in Comcast's end of the field.

Regular Visitor

Big ten network elimination - totally?

I am assuming that comcast is going to eliminate the big ten network from its channel lineup, given all the chatter and the recent elimination elsewhere - what I am trying to figure out is this:

When comcast does "eliminate" the big ten network, what does that mean? Does it mean it is removed from subsets of  channel lineups and is overall still available on the so-called "premium" or sports package lineups? Or is it eliminated from everything and not available at all?

If it is the latter, I will likely take my $285 a month and go elsewhere - if you can't provide the channels I want to watch, I have no real reason to use you. You have nearly unlimited space for channels and reams and reams of channels that likely get a combined 5 viewers a day, it is not about providing space for other channels, it's about cost - you think it's too expensive for you and you don't want to pay what they think you should pay. 

So all I (and others) want, is actual honesty. I am even willing to consider paying extra for this one channel since otherwise, surprise, I actually am pleased with your service. 

What will be the status? I need to start planning now, this nonsense is tiresome. 

Valued Contributor

@flight8 wrote:

Well, if not CBS, then possibly NBC or someone else.  We only had 2 or 3 that were BTN .

NBC does not have the right to televise Big Ten sports.  It televises Notre Dame home games and select Ivy League matchups.

Contributor

If the BTN does get dropped from Comcast's lineup i'm between a rock and a hard place since the condo complex i'm in has a deal with Comcast and noone else.So if I wanted to switch i'd have to move[not going to happen] So i'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that a deal will get done eventually.

Regular Contributor

@flight8 wrote:

No reason to call with my feedback asking for the BigTen to be added back to my account.  I have been begging since I heard it was leaving back in March.  I must have called and written a dozen times.  No use pleading.  I was told they are NOT doing it.  They did have the audacity to tell me that I can get the PAC 10 if I want it with all the California schools. 

And even that isn't necessarily true - I don't get both the "northern California" and "southern California" Pac-12 feeds like I did with U-Verse.
But Comcast isn't the only company that resticts sports channels like that; U-Verse doesn't include the other four Pac-12 regional feeds (Washington state, Oregon, Arizona, Utah/Colorado), and the excuse they give is, nobody in those states has U-Verse (literally - it's not offered in those states).

This isn't the first time a company has gone "down to the wire" with a network, and it won't be the last.  I have a feeling this is going to be resolved eventually.  The only problem is, they don't really have "eventually" in which to do it, since the football season starts right after the deadline.

Regular Contributor

You certainly state exactly what I have been trying to tell Comcast since April 1.  Once I cancel Comcast I certainly will not be going back to them.  They have about priced us out of the market anyway and now this on top of it.  Direct TV Now has assured me that I can link up and watch immediately, so eagerly awaiting Sept 1 for our (BUCKEYES) first game of the season.  I would be

nice to have Comcast provide it but I am sure I am not the only one saying goodbye if it isn't there by Football season.

Regular Contributor

I really don't want to change to ATT which is our only other provider in our Condo.  Wanted to tell you that I use a ROKU player (my husband and I are movier fans) and they have LOTS of apps available.  We have had one for both TVs for several years and the cheapest is about 50 dollars.  Someone on this BTN discussion said that Direct TV NOW is offering a free ROKU box with a 1 month subscription.  I called BTN and I called Direct TV and they said that their top tier provides live BTN forball on their BTN app.  This is one way to get around (and the only way I have found so far)

Comcast not carrying BTN.  I would suppest you check it out and be ready.  DTN allows you to turn it off and on and pay monthly fee.  Just be sure to double check all the facts about what you have to do and what you want to be able to see,  So far that is the option (though expensive) that I see we have.

Regular Contributor

By the way,  It is already dropped unless you are in a state that has a BTN school.  We are in Florida so we no longer get it as of March 2018.

New Poster

As a Big Ten fan that is in Georgia, I really hope your negotiations with the  network yield results on August 31st. The Big Ten network is where I am able to see BTN football other than Ohio State, since I am in the heart of th SEC.

Regular Contributor

I certainly hope everyone gets to see BTN in their areas no matter which college they owe allegience to.  Keeping our fingers crossed for a great outcome.

New Poster

Big Ten Network and FS

I received an email today stating that Xfinity may be dropping the Big Ten Network and FS. This is unthinkable. We will have to look for a different provider if this happens. 

Regular Visitor

I actually WANT Comcast to drop BTN.... I have been planning on 'Cutting the Cord' for a long time now.  Dropping Comcast cable TV will be very liberating.   

Official Employee

@flight8 wrote:

I certainly hope everyone gets to see BTN in their areas no matter which college they owe allegience to.  Keeping our fingers crossed for a great outcome.

Official Employee

Re: Big Ten Network and FS

@Jbkb1000 wrote:

I received an email today stating that Xfinity may be dropping the Big Ten Network and FS. This is unthinkable. We will have to look for a different provider if this happens. 

Regular Contributor

I'm in a condo and Cannot get dish here.  I also got a notice as a BTN customer form them yesterday and they told me that Comcast has not been negotiating with them.  Told me that it appears as of Aug 31 we will be losing both BTN and FS1 and that if I want to continue BTN I need to find a carrier and sent a list of ways to watch.  I don't know how to post that link here or I would.  Glad you could get Dish.  Another friend here in town who has Dish in his Condo says he currently cannot get BTN on it.  Hope you can.

Regular Contributor

Yes, it BTN not in the lineup or being carried by Comcast or Xfinity at all.  It is only certain levels of Direct TV that carry Live football games.  YouTube (unless they have changed very recently) does not carry any LIVE football games.

Regular Contributor

BTN has said they wanted to renegotiate their contract with Comcast but Comcast is not cooperating with them.  It appears it will not be there and we must find another source if we still want to view Live Big Ten football.  Hopefully ABC and ESPN will carry most games.

Frequent Visitor

I ramped up the public discussion about the loss of BTN for Comcast customers outside of the conference area by calling my local ESPN radio station today.  The Rise Guys in Sacramento spent a couple of minutes talking about carriage fees and fights between cable companies and regional networks.  Promised to continue looking at it, but noted it was, as usual, about the money each side wanted.  Bottom line, forcing cable customers to switch is just bad business.  Shame on Comcast, but if BTN understands how many fans are spread out in the rest of the U.S. then it behooves them to "serve" the fan base and get negotiating.  While I wait I would appreciate a discount from Comcast on my sports entertainment package I've faithfully paid since February 2018 for BTN access that I can't get.

New Poster

If comcast drops the BTN I'll drop comcast.

BTN is still saying that it wil be dropped in side the BTN footprint.