Community Forum

Big Ten Network (BTN) in HD?

Frequent Visitor

Big Ten Network (BTN) in HD?

When will the big Ten Network (BTN) be available in HD out of the Big Ten member school footprint? I'm in San Jose, CA and get the SD version on 403 via the sports package.

Now that we've moved to digital we should have plenty of bandwidth in my area and it is my understanding that Comcast via it's deal w/ BTN has full rights to serve the HD content for the main channel and all overflow channels. The fact that some BTN on-demand vignettes are available in HD seems to support this.

Below is my feedback on priority for BTN expansion in the bay area where a huge amount of Big Ten alumni live (all good engineering schools which flock to silicon valley):

1. Add the HD version of the main BTN channel
  2. Add BTN2Go service for BTN subscribers
  3. Add overflow channels (preferably in HD)

Could someone from comcast comment if you have rights to any/all of the above via your out-of-market contract and also provide timelines for at least #1 above. What is currently holding up #1?

Please let me know if HD BTN will be added during this football season.

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

New Poster

Re: Big Ten Network (BTN) in HD?

I too am an alumn and would like the BTN in HD. Other carriers broadcast so why not Comcast? The Bay Area particularly is a hotbead for BT Athletics.

Steve
New Poster

Agreed. Getting both the main BTN in HD and the alternates at least in SD if not HD would be a huge improvement over the current single SD feed, particularly given how many football games are getting put on the BTN. Would make the sports package a little more valuable given the price increases over time without many additions.

New Poster

Yes agreed - Im in area code 94010. We need BigTen in HD. I need BTN2GO.

In fact I need them in the next 60 minutes so I can watch Michigan crush Michigan State during my kids soccer game.

This is driving me nuts, lets get this fixed.

Regular Visitor

I doubt these forums will have much effect..  Anyone know of a better way to get the request to someone in Comcast Bay Area that can actually effect the channel choices?

BTN is not only in low resolution SD (528x480), but that's an SD version of the 16:9 HD program, meaning that we lose a good percentage of the available resolution to the black bars above and below the actual picture.   The end result is a soft mush making it difficult to follow the action or identify players.

Also, MGoBlue87, how'd that crushing work out for you?  Smiley Happy

New Poster

I have returned to Comcast but I am dismayed that the Big Ten network isn't available in HD here in the bay area. ATT had it. Fix this, Comcast.

New Poster

We need to have BIGTEN HD.. COME ON COMCAST! GET ON THIS!

Problem Solver

I want watch Ohio state in HD

Frequent Visitor

So it's now almost 2 years later; let's review Comcast's progress since there is finally a trickle of progress to note.

Of my original three requests you have finally addressed one of them (#2):

monkeymagic wrote:

Below is my feedback on priority for BTN expansion in the bay area where a huge amount of Big Ten alumni live (all good engineering schools which flock to silicon valley):

1. Add the HD version of the main BTN channel
  2. Add BTN2Go service for BTN subscribers (DONE)
  3. Add overflow channels (preferably in HD)

Thanks, this is an improvement, but is still a pretty distant second prioroity to #1: Make BTN available in HD!!!!

Just to make it clear to all the fellow midwest engineers out in CA, BTN does indeed provide the HD feed as part of it's deal with Comacst, Comcast is choosing not to make it available out of the big ten footprint states (presumably due to bandwidth tradeoffs for other HD channels):

Q: Does BTN produce games and programming in HD?
A: BTN produces and makes available all of its programming and live events in HD. It is the decision of each individual TV provider to offer BTN programming in HD.

As I said back in 2011, this continues to be inexcusable now that we've all gone to digital delivery and removed all the analog channels to free up huge amounts of bandwidth.

Could someone from Comcast let us know the proper channels to escalate this request through? If you polled you users I think you would find huge demand for BTNHD in the California San Francisco bay area. (selfishly, fell free to start in San Jose!)

Frequent Visitor

For other Bay Area fans, please write/call BTN (http://btn.com/about/contact-us/) to get them to force HD carriage (at least for the 1 main channel) both inside & outside BigTen footprint in their upcoming round of contracts with the TV providers. 

Seems Comcast is incapable of giving their users what they want and require pressure from the programmers to actually do anyting.

Frequent Visitor

I got a response from Comcast ECARE support. So do make your voice heard at: http://www.comcast.com/customers/feedback/default.cspx

-------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting the Office of Tom Karinshak. My name is Susan, and I will be more than happy to assist you today. I am genuinely sorry for the inconvenience with Comcast not having the HD version of BTN in your channel lineup. Being a customer myself, I had a similar situation where I had a similar experience, so I can certainly empathize with you. You have definitely reached the right person, and I will ensure that your new service request is addressed.

After reading your e-mail, I understand that you have our Sports Entertainment package, and you would like for Comcast to add the BTN HD channel to your local channel lineup in the San Jose area. We value knowing that you appreciate our service, and thank you for taking the time to contact us with your insightful feedback. We take all requests for programming very seriously, and that we carefully consider the overall impact of the customer’s viewing experience. While we cannot honor every request, we do take each request into consideration in planning future changes here at Comcast. I have sent your request for the BTN HD channel to our marketing for consideration. The tracking number for this request is ERXXXXXXXXX.

In addition to the above, our Comcast Customer Guarantee is the promise to you that we stand behind our products and services and we are available to you 24/7 by calling 1-800-934-6489 or going online https://www.comcastsupport.com/chatentry. You can also manage your account at www.comcast.com. We are now offering self-help videos under the help tab on YouTube by visiting www.youtube.com/xfinity. One of the benefits of being a Comcast cable subscriber is our Interactive on Screen Program Guide. The Interactive on Screen Program Guide allows you to search TV listings, set reminders for programs you do not want to miss, and easily control what your kids are watching.

Mr. Stratman, I thank you for allowing me the opportunity to reply to your e-mail. I would like to apologize that I was not able to add the BTN HD channel to your Comcast channel lineup at this time. I hope this explains the process to your satisfaction with the information I provided within this e-mail. I know your time is important, I am grateful to have you as a valued Comcast customer. Thank you for choosing Comcast.

Sincerely,

Susan W.

Office of Tom Karinshak
New Poster

Why is BTN only in extremely low low quality on Comcast (Channel  65 and 715) in our area rather than HD, even though BTN provides HD feed to Comcast?
Sounds like it is being done with malevolent intent.
Since Comcast/ NBC executives (both Ivy League grads) apparently hate the Big Ten teams?
  Or is it because NBC cannot win or control the contracts to exclusively show Big Ten games that are held by ESPN/ABC?

It's not what you earn, it's what you Keep
Official Employee

Must be the area you live we have it here in Kansas
Regular Visitor

BTN has an app for iOS and Android which does Internet streaming of Big Ten games.

The quality of the streamed video is MUCH better than the SD version carried by Comcast in my area (SF Bay Area).  If you have a streaming device on your TV (e.g. chromecast, appletv, maybe Roku?) you can then watch the game on your HDTV.

The main down side of the app is that it requires you to authenticate to your cable or satellite provider to view the games.  But, as the momentum from people cancelling cable increases, BTN will eventually offer direct internet subscriptions.   

By offering sub-standard quality and charging premium prices for it, Comcast is driving people towards alternatives. 

Problem Solver

You can watch Big ten HD on the comcast go app. at least it's HD in my computer and APP but it's a bit silly it's not on TV HD

Frequent Visitor

I live less than 25 miles from State College and Penn State and Comcast does not carry BTN in HD.  They only carry the SD channel. Lewistown Pa sucks for HD content.

New Poster

Not too far here in Frederick, MD.  I've had Comcast 'Digital Starter' + the 'Sports Entertainment' package and have had BTN in HD the last two or three years.  At the time I signed up for the 'Sports Entertainment' package, it was the only way to get BTN (SD OR HD), and pretty much the only reason I signed up for it.  All has been well in the past few years.  However, I just noticed that I'm no longer getting either channel.  I then tried to 'authorize' the video feed on the BTN2Go app, and it said the channel was no longer part of my account.  I checked the xfinity plans channel lineup for my zip code (21702) and sure enough, they moved BTN out of the 'Sports Entertainment' package, and made it part of the 'Comcast Digital Premier'.  So now, instead of paying a $10 extra for the 'Sports Entertainment' package (which is now pretty much useless for me), I'll be forced to upgrade from the 'starter' to the 'premier' (not even the mid-tier 'preferred').  We barely watch TV other than during a few sporting season periods (and almost exclusively college football), so this definitely does not add up for us as far as a wise decision to make. 

I wouldn't imagine University of Maryland joining the Big Ten might have had anything to do with this decision... nah... that would just be too obvious of an example of why monopolies are bad for the customers.  Sadly we don't have a choice and must keep paying these crooks for services that are priced at orders of magnitude more than basic living necessities.

Frequent Visitor

Well another football season comes, and still no BTN-HD in the bay area. Dissapointing when it's no extra cost to Comcast and we have plenty of bandwidth in our area.

Given this stance, please consider adding Chromecast support to your BTN2Go app.  This would make not having BTN in HD on my cable TV service palatable.

While this is not nearly as good of an experience as normal TV since I lose all the benefit of watching football with a DVR and remote, it would be a step in the right direction.

New Poster

Even if they did add Chromecast,.. it would do you no good since you still need to have a cable plan that includes BTN in your channel listing.  I've used BTN2Go along with a micro-HDMI cable and it's great for when I'm not at home.  However, if you're at home, the BTN2Go app is basically useless, since it requires you to have the channel already avaiable for your TV,.. might as well watch it on the big screen directly from your cable box.

Regular Visitor

During the Giants game recently (on Comcast Sports Bay Area) they showed a commercial advertising the great Comcast college football package with Pac-12 Network the new SEC network and, of course, the Big Ten Network.

What a joke.   They consider it a feature package, and yet they provide it as unusually low quality SD?    I wonder what the SEC channel is broadcast in.    I have long since cancelled BTN from my account, so I can't check any of them.

New Poster

Thanks to all of you for contributing.  This issue has been making me crazy ever since I've had Comcast/Xfinity.  I call them every few months and they either don't realize we in the Bay Area don't get BTN in HD, or they say, "I'm sure it will be coming soon."  I've heard this for about three years now.  I just found out that my friend in the far out northeast suburbs of Seattle gets BTN in HD.  I just don't get it.  I'm happy with just about everything else about Xfinity, but I'm temped to change to another provider for just this issue.  Come on, Comcast!

Frequent Visitor

I am from san jose but now live just outside of sac. Comcasts sports programming drives me absolutely nuts. I would subscribe to btn but it's not in hd so there is no I will pay for that. Also where live cbs sports and espn news are non hd and pretty much unwatchable today's televisions. The real kicker is that even though I have the preferred package I do not get espn u. Comcast cannot tell me why, they basically told me too bad. This has been going on for months. Finally someone told me espn u is not offered in my area but this is a lie as my neighbors have it. I will be switching to att as soon as I can. I can't believe this day in age comcast still does not offer hd feeds for many sports channels. Home for the most live sports what a joke!
Contributor

If it makes you feel better (probably not), we don't get Pac-12 network in HD on the east coast, only SD.
New Poster

Still waiting for HD here. What gives?

New Poster

And to be specific, I'm waiting for BTN in HD on Comcast in San Francisco, thanks.

New Poster

"Watching" the OSU-Hawaii game in SD sucks big time! What a joke. On us.

Regular Visitor

BTNtoGo App on an iOS device streamed to AppleTV or btn2go app/channel on Roku are MUCH better options than the terrible Comcast SD version.   

New Poster

This is a huge dissapointment. Watching the Big Ten Network in SD is awful and the BTN2Go app alone isn't cutting it. I wish Comcast would listen to their customers on this one!

New Poster

It's 2016 guys. Can we please have BTN in HD? Just flip the switch!!!
New Poster

COMCAST/XFINITY IS FAILING IT'S FOOTBALL FANS BY NOT HAVING BTN IN HD!

New Poster

So this thread is over 5 years old!  That is an eternity in the Internet age!  Comcast/Xfinity, PLEASE add Big Ten Network in HD!  It's just silly to have to run the tablet app and try to stream the HD to my TV!  Can't believe Comcast has ignored this thread for so long!!  Not even one comment from moderators about the status of this...

Regular Visitor

Yes but lots of lag at least on my Roku. Ipad is fine. I see a dish in my future.

New Poster

It is 2017, why would you have any sports channel delivered in SD?  We need BTN HD in Norcal!!

New Poster

I know, right? It's hard to find other sports channels not HD! Please make BTN HD in the Bay Area!!!
Frequent Visitor

Don't hold your breath...I've kept Comcast so far as they had the best internet. The price they charge for only internet is about the same as what I pay for internet+TV...so I've kept their TV service for now. I've got GoogleTV this year as well and am using it heavily for sports.

Fiber internet is coming to my neighborhood so I can finally drop Comcast all together...Might have to throw a party when it happens Smiley Happy
Admin1

Hi Charlotte6 -- Thank you for your interest in Big 10 Network HD. I have created a channel request for you. This does not guarantee that Big 10 Network HD will be added to your lineup however it does help us gauge area interest for this channel and helps us with negotiations for adding it to your area. 

New Poster

This thread started in 2011 and there is no BTN HD offering yet.  Maybe the demand isn't that strong, but I would wager with the number of Big Ten alums I know here in the Bay Area there is strong interest.

The SD version of BTN is completely unwatchable.  It's predictably terrible on an HDTV (which, at this point, 99% of people own) but, oddly, it's just as terrible streaming on the Xfinity app on an iPad and a laptop.  

It's almost inconceivable that a signal could look this bad.  The average video shot on a phone by a complete boob looks better than the picture from a topline sports channel.  No wonder people are so anxious to cut the cord.

I've gotten five more Fox Sports channels in HD, multiple NBC sports HD channels plus the SEC network and the freaking tennis channel in HD. 

Please do right by your subscribers and upgrade this channel.

Admin1

Hi BPix -- Big 10 Network HD is offered in your area for streaming only. We are in constant negotiations with with Big 10 Network to provide more Live TV coverage. 

New Poster

I don't believe you.

Regular Visitor

We have had Big Ten Network (in HD) in Southwest Floirda for a few years now and had pay extra on a sports tier to get it.

Unfortunately, we were informed on my latest bill that some time after the 1st of the year, we will no longer receive Big Ten Network at all.  I am extermely disappointed, so I am not sure if they will roll out Big Ten to other areas of the country if they are taking it away in other areas of Comcast footprint.

Comcast, keep BIG TEN NETWORK on the air.

New Poster

I just added the sports package in the Bay Area and was told on the phone that BTN would be in HD. I’ve checked channels 403 and 1313 and both are terrible unwatchable quality. 

I also tried Airplay to my Apple TV from the BTN2GO app and the quality is better but not good. 

I’ll be calling back to cancel the sports package and heading to a sports bar to watch the games. 

According to BTN they offer the HD stream to all cable providers and it’s up to Comcast to add it to the line up. 

If Comcast adds the BTN in HD to the Bay Area I’ll resubscribe to the sports package. 

Regular Visitor

Gave up on BTN HD with Xfinity and switched to Direct TV
New Poster

I dropped the TV portion of my cable, and just use Xfinity for Internet now.    So, I looked into other options for getting Big Ten games.

The good news is: There are many ways to get Big Ten games, and ALL of them are much better video quality than Xfinity Bay Area has with their terrible SD channel.

The bad news is that it's overly complicated, with pros and cons for each, and the Cloud DVR providers persist the 'upsell you to an expensive package to get the one channel you want' model.  They're better than Xfinity, but I'm not crazy about that model.

DirecTV: You can get satellite anywhere, and it has good quality BTN.  Of course, who wants to mess with a dish and get locked into another provider.

BTN2Go iPhone app:  Works well if you have AppleTV to do Airplay streaming to your TV.   But, requires a login to a TV provider to access.  

BTN Plus app:  This only carries the non-televised games, and is $10/month.   At that price, it would be interesting if it gave access to ALL Big Ten games.  With its limited coverage, seems like a bad option to me.

Fox Sports Go app: Many Big Ten games are now carried on Fox app.  Fox has a native AppleTV app, so no Airplay needed.  But, still requires a TV provider login.

Cloud DVR apps:  Several good provider options:  DirecTV, YouTube, PSN, Hulu, Fubo.  These are good if you also want some other 'cable channels', like ESPN.  All have BTN on one of the more expensive upsell tiers.   I believe they are all monthly and could be cancelled out of season.

For me, the Cloud DVR was the best option.  I'm currently testing Youtube TV, but I'll take advantage of the free trial periods on a few more options before committing to one.   What I'm still hoping for is a Cloud DVR option with a la carte channel pricing.

Frequent Visitor

Yup, agreed. Comcast/Xfinity took their BTN shade to a whole new level last month by removing the channel completly in all out of market areas like mine in CA.

I put up with the ridiculous SD quality for years but this was the final straw that broke the camel’s back. Cancelled service last week and it felt cathartic!!

ATT Fiber internet just got introduced to my neighborhood so I went with their 1Gbps upload and download service which is great. YouTubeTV for sports/shows is my current plan but I might try a number of them to see which I like best. Phone moved to GoogleVoice.

Now I just need to find the best hardware device to steam YTTV to. Currently using a chromecast but you need a phone/tablet to control things so it’s not very wife friendly. Looking at an Apple TV or Roku so I can have a physical remote that can turn on the TV, change volume, search for shows on YTTV or view a channel grid/guide, and most importantly skip forward and back (for sports/commercials). Still searching for the best setup....