Community Forum

Altitude channel

New Poster

Altitude channel

I moved to New Mexico from Colorado 6 years ago. I'm tired of missing Nuggets and Avalanche games because Comcast does not carry the Altitude channel. Why am I in the blackout area for other channels that carry the games? It's not like I can just run on over to the Pepsi Center to catch a game. I'm hundreds of miles away. Comcast, please get Altitude! I've been waiting for years!
Official Employee

Re: Altitude channel

Hi Rcgabaldon. Welcome to the Xfinity Forums and thank you for creating your first post. 

Thank you for your feedback regarding the Altitude channel in New Mexico. We regularly examine our channel lineups and talk with a wide range of programmers to ensure that we are bringing the content that our customers want the most. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking time to reach out to us. 

Also, you can learn more about why Blackouts occur here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/sports-blackouts

Please let us know if you need any other assistance. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I feel the same way! I want to watch Nuggets and Avs playoffs and cannot because I also live in New Mexico and I can't watch Rockies, Nuggets or Avalance games> Not usre why, stuck between two markets. (AZ and COLO)

Highlighted
Problem Solver

The issue at hand here is that Comcast does not have an agreement to carry Altitude in New Mexico. However, both the Nuggets and Avalanche are in-market for the state of New Mexico. This means that out-of-market packages (like NBA League Pass and NHL Center Ice) will blackout the Nuggets and Avalanche because you're supposed to be able to watch them on the regional sports network, but you don't have access to that. This is an issue in a few different areas of the country.

Comcast has made a business decision to carry Fox Sports New Mexico (a localized feed of Fox Sports Arizona, with the Diamondbacks, Coyotes and Suns) and AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain (which carries the Rockies) in New Mexico, but not Altitude.  Regional sports networks are some of the most expensive networks to carry, and many areas are in-market for multiple teams. It would make your cable bill even more expensive to carry all of the regional sports networks. While this affects some fans, usually the decisions are made to try and cover the most popular teams. Some regional claims can be made by the teams, but the teams have few fans in those areas.

The only providers that carry Altitude in New Mexico are DirecTV and Dish. No cable company in the Albuquerque television market carries Altitude. When the Nuggets and Avalanche split for the separate network away from what was then Fox Sports, they did not pay additional fees to carry Altitude. I know that's frustrating to not be able to have a legal way to see your teams, but it's the way it is in your area with these teams.