Community Forum

All Locals are now 720p?

Most Valued Poster

All Locals are now 720p?

So a few years ago Comcast decided to downconvert ALL non-local HD from 1080i to 720p, but kept the locals at 1080i (PBS, CBS, NBC, etc). But a few days ago I noticed that now all the locals are also at 720p, meaning there are NO 1080i channels at all.

I confirmed this by going through my DVR Recordings over the past week, where recordings from local channels were 1080i, but now are 720p.

Why is this being done now on the handful of 1080i channels that we had left? Why can't Comcast just leave Locals at 1080i native resolution?

Expert

Re: All Locals are now 720p?

In the Mpls area mine are are still 1080i. 

My tv reads incoming resolutions. For 1080i signals watching over the air works better. Cable is acceptable, but it would be better if they switched to 1080p in the future. 2160p (4K) would include 1080p use.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@FAUguy wrote:

So a few years ago Comcast decided to downconvert ALL non-local HD from 1080i to 720p, but kept the locals at 1080i (PBS, CBS, NBC, etc). But a few days ago I noticed that now all the locals are also at 720p, meaning there are NO 1080i channels at all.

I confirmed this by going through my DVR Recordings over the past week, where recordings from local channels were 1080i, but now are 720p.

Why is this being done now on the handful of 1080i channels that we had left? Why can't Comcast just leave Locals at 1080i native resolution?

It's all about freeing up bandwidth for Internet. Every QAM channel (a QAM channel is what used to be a 6MHz analog channel, but carrying digital data) Comcast frees up is another 38Mbit of data. Comcast can cram 9-10 720p HD channels into one QAM channel. As it is, many newer channels are only available on X1 as they are using in-network Internet streaming (called IPTV) for them now.

Most Valued Poster

@andyross wrote:

@FAUguy wrote:

It's all about freeing up bandwidth for Internet. Every QAM channel (a QAM channel is what used to be a 6MHz analog channel, but carrying digital data) Comcast frees up is another 38Mbit of data. Comcast can cram 9-10 720p HD channels into one QAM channel. As it is, many newer channels are only available on X1 as they are using in-network Internet streaming (called IPTV) for them now.

That's what I figured, as the MPEG 2 to MPEG 4 conversion a few years ago, and the 1080i to 720p on all HD channels free up bandwidth. I just find it weird that the small amount of Local 1080i channels had to be converted to 720p now as well - and with no notice.

I thought from before there was something from FCC saying that Local channels can't be messed with?

Silver Problem Solver

Most likely it depends on the agreement the station makes with Comcast. Given the MASSIVE increase in the broadcast fee that appears to be happening nationwide, Comcast seems to have decided to pay them more for the privilege of downgrading the video. But then, do remember that most Fox and ABC stations were already 720p.