Community Forum

AMC channel sound interference?

New Poster

Re: AMC channel sound interference?

Having the same issue in Southeastern Ct. Every episode of The walking dead is miserable to watch because of it. Once you hear it, you can't "un-hear" it either.
I really hope they get this sorted. Any ideas on who to report something like this to?
New Poster

Exaxt same issue...in Harrisburg, PA. The final Rick Grimes episode was the first time I noticed it and it has been on every TWD episode since. Obviously Comcast/Xfinity doesn't care. Might be time to make a change.

Contributor

I private messaged a Comcast employee in another thread to come over here. Hopefully they will come!
Regular Visitor

This is so frustrating. Someone needs to get their butts in here and resolve this. Going on a month now!!
Regular Visitor

Thank God I found this. I thought it was only me.  The 'blips' are ridiculous, only happen on AMC

especially during The Walking Dead.  Tried resetting my surround sound to 5.2, instead of 7.2, still

getting blips.  Have two new boxes, reset receiver, rechecked speaker wire.  About to try different audio setting on STB from xfinity.  ONLY on AMC and TWD, and yes, it is annoying.

Keith

New Poster

Having the same problem in Detroit. 

Regular Visitor

I’ve got the same exact problem. AMC sound issue - as if the sound is over compressed or there’s some sort of compression artifact that sounds like a buzz.
Official Employee

Hello all - 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the forums. Sorry to hear about the issues with AMC, I'd be happy to help. I'm not seeing any known issues regarding this channel in particular, but I can help troubleshoot. Is this happening on any other channels, or only AMC? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Nope, just AMC as everyone in the thread has stated.

Official Employee

HeathW, thanks for the clarification. 

Since it may be an issue with the area, I'd like to look into this further. Go ahead and send me a PM with your first and last name to get started. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Hi Ally, thanks for the assistance. I'm in Plantation, FL 33322. Just AMC. X1 HD DVR.
Official Employee

circumstances - 

Can you please send me a PM too? It looks like I'll have to troubleshoot individually based on each piece of equipment. 

New Poster

I'm in the chicago suburbs and it's happening here too.  Been going on for a few weeks.

Official Employee

All - 

Please send me a PM by clicking my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.” I'll need to take a look at the account and troubleshoot this individually. 

Contributor

Message sent.  Definitely hope that this finally gets resolved! 

New Poster

I have been hearing it myself, on The Walking Dead... in Metro Atlanta, GA.  I actually have an audio recording if anyone wants to hear it.  30 seconds long and it hits at 4 and 7 seconds, then 16,17 then 21, 23 and 29... so not evenly spread out... I thought at one point it was supposed to be something representing a dream of Rick Grimes or something... very annoying.  

New Poster

I am not getting the option to send you a message after clicking on your name.
I am having the same problem here. I recently have upgraded to X1. I had the issue on my old equipment as well. I hear it on the primary programming. I do not hear it on many commercials. I never hear it on local commercials. I also dont hear it when promos for other AMC programming is playing. I travel frequently to the Chicago area, the hotel there has Dish. I never hear it when watching there. There are also no other channels that have the same tuned frequency as AMC with the same problem..
I live in Grand Rapids Mi.
Regular Visitor

It is not the equipment. It is the source or the conversion (comcast turns all 1080i to 720p). I have a cable card and HD Homerun Prime and I have same problem.
New Poster

I don’t have the option to send you a private message for some reason, but I am having the same issue.
Regular Visitor

Add me to the list, third week in a row now trying to watch the Walking Dead where I'm getting this noise. I just put on whatever is showing on AMC and had it also. I'm in North East, MD.

Regular Visitor

AMC only. Walking Dead only. Salix PA. Please fix!
New Poster

Not a local thing, it sounds like a fly buzzing - thought it was my cat snoring, or maybe an intentional subliminal thing on the show ) but it happens every time I watch "The Walking Dead". 

Contributor

When I was troubleshooting with ComcastAlly today it was on both HD AMC channels during The Day After Tomorrow, Castaway as well as commercials. Not just during The Walking Dead.
Frequent Visitor

Having the same problem in Minneapolis, MN.  Finally after putting up with it for 4 weeks (feels like it's getting worse over time) I called in to complain.  Of course, they want to send a tech to my house, but after pointing him to this thread he cancelled the appointment.  

I have no idea if anything is being done about it now, but I would suggest EVERYONE having this issue call in.  If they want to do a truck roll, let them.  Once this costs Comcast enough money in truck rolls, maybe they will acknowledge and fix the issue.

What bothers me is that they want to blame local equipment for the problem, but I can replicate this on my Tivo, X1 in the bedroom, iPhone Stream app, iPad Stream app, and tv.xfinity.com.  Clearly this is a problem at some headend somewhere (HITS?) when they go to re-encode the stream from what AMC is providing, to the garbage bitrates that save Xfinity bandwidth.

New Poster

Yes!!!! Drives us watching TWD! Here in Kansas, noticed it 2 - 3 weeks ago.
New Poster

Only happens on AMC
Most Valued Poster

Still having this issue with AMC HD while watching recorded episode of the Walking Dead ( 11/18/2018 ) Seems to be worse than before. I'm using Tivo Bolt+ on the Comcast of Garden State, NJ (08054) system. No other channels have this "Beeping or buzzing" noise. Please fix

New Poster

This has been driving us crazy for weeks.   We noticed this when the season began for The Walking Dead.  Sporadic buzzing sound at different pitches/frequencies.   Only happens on AMC channel during The Walking Dead and The Talking Dead shows.  Haven't checked other shows or movies on AMC (quiet honestly I don't want to hear the sound anymore)

Hoping Comcast does something soon.  It's ridiculous the one Comcast person who replied to this thread is treating it on a case-by-case basis, when there are people from all over the country reporting the exact same conditions.  Do something!!

Contributor

Anyone try the SD version of the channel? @ComcastAlly asked me to test it and so far I haven't heard it on the SD channel. Hopefully we can confirm it might just be limited to the HD feed.
Regular Visitor

@ComcastAlly wrote:

Hello all - 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the forums. Sorry to hear about the issues with AMC, I'd be happy to help. I'm not seeing any known issues regarding this channel in particular, but I can help troubleshoot. Is this happening on any other channels, or only AMC? 

Same problem here. AMC channel only. Location is 21771.

New Poster

Same issue here in Richmond, VA.  I'm ONLY noticing it on AMC.  It does it during The Walking Dead and also during Talking Dead afterwards.  At first, I thought it was a problem with my DVR (Tivo Roamio), but after seeing so many responses, I now think it's some sort of signal issue.  PLEASE, COMCAST, FIX THIS!!!!!

Frequent Visitor

To me it sounds like an old time AM radio where a fringe station would occasionally interfere with the primary station. A little buzz every so often.   I’m running my tv through a very nice 7.1 receiver and it annoys the heck out of me. 

This only happens on AMC shows.  Very annoying. 

I’ve got a theory why this happens

On streaming audio the provider  adds digital metadata to the stream to prevent piracy.  You can’t hear it but it’s there.  I’m thinking AMC does the same but their encoding is so severe it interferes with the signal.

They either want you to get fed up and use their subscription service or watch the content where you can’t skip commercials, all 20 minutes per hour!

BTW.  I sent the rep a PM with my complaint. 

Frequent Visitor

@ComcastAlly - I tried to follow your instructions, but after clicking on your profile name there is no "send message" option anywhere I can see.

Troubleshooting this issue individually seems - well... just silly. People all over the country are experiencing the same issue. I find it very hard to believe that neither Comcast employees nor the forum "experts" are able to replicate the issue for your/themselves.

This is a systemic issue isolated to one particular content provider, AMC. The issue is NOT isolated to any region, nor to any customer-specific hardware, nor is is restricted to SD. The sound has been described several ways, but the most accurate description to my ears is the sound of a partially blown speaker that clips hard at certain volumes or frequencies.

Note: it seems an interesting coincidence that AMC has recently launched a "premium" pay version of their programming, and shortly after that the free AMC channels begin exhibiting this problem. Could be completely unrelated, but it sure does seem curious.

Regular Visitor

I test ran Playstation Vue over the weekend and watched the Walking Dead there without this sound issue, I highly doubt it's tied to the launch of their premium channel.

New Poster

YES! only on AMC shows: Walking Dead and History of Horror. No other channel. I always mute the commercials or fast forward through them if I am watching something recorded, so I haven't noticed if it happens during the ads too. At first I thought it was AMC being clever and adding in bug noises on TWD, but that theory went out the window when it happened during History of Horror too.  WICKED ANNOYING.

Contributor

Same problem here.  The only show (at this time) that I watch on AMC is Walking Dead, and the buzz has been very noticeable the last few weeks.  I wind up deleting it from the DVR and watching it on-demand.

New Poster

Any fix to this? At first I thought it was some subliminal sound effect to cause tension and it works. Then I noticed it on other AMC programs. We almost never watch actual TV, but my spouse like TWD. No issues with other channels. Boston Area. Go to love Netflix.

Frequent Visitor

Add me to the list.  In South Berwick, ME.  My setup is a TiVo Roamio with dual cable card, sound and video run via HDMI into a Yamaha A/V receiver.

Saw that someone previously mentioned that changing their surround settings helped, so I tried.  Straight, Standard, 5 Ch Dolby, none of them help.  There are some of the presets that make it worse, but none that make it go away.

Maybe it is a problem with AMC, and not with Comcast?

Jut wish it would go away.

Contributor

I think the temporary fix (at least for me) is watch it on On Demand instead of live or on the DVR.

People in this thread have said it doesn't happen with On Demand.

I haven't tried it, but I'm going to start doing it until Comcast fixes it.

Frequent Visitor

We have heard the sound interference in On Demand it isn't as bad,  but I pay for a service that allows us to  DVR the program to watch it without all those commercials ... And I pay quite a lot if you ask me for the service to work correctly otherwise I want a discount for the service that I have a contract for and what I agreed to have with the amount that I agreed to pay..  

Contributor

@skgallo wrote:

We have heard the sound interference in On Demand it isn't as bad,  but I pay for a service that allows us to  DVR the program to watch it without all those commercials ... And I pay quite a lot if you ask me for the service to work correctly otherwise I want a discount for the service that I have a contract for and what I agreed to have with the amount that I agreed to pay..  

I agree. It has to be fixed ASAP (and they are working on it).

I watch a lot of shows on the DVR, if I have to watch one show a week On Demand instead (with commercials), I'd rather do that than hear R2D2 coming out of my center channel every few seconds during The Walking Dead.

Frequent Visitor

Same here in Pittsburgh, PA.  It has been at least four weeks now.  I have checked it throughout the day, and the noise is always present to one extent or another only on AMC. They will probably get it fixed the day after the midseason finale of The Walking Dead...

Frequent Visitor

I guess you missed where I said we have heard in on our On Demand also  It isn't as bad but it is there.  Maybe you just didn't notice the noise but if you pay attention to the same spots where you hear it on your recording and then watch the on demand it is there .  My husband used to do sound editing and he notices it without trying too so that is the reason we will be getting a credit!  

Contributor

@skgallo wrote:

I guess you missed where I said we have heard in on our On Demand also  It isn't as bad but it is there.  Maybe you just didn't notice the noise but if you pay attention to the same spots where you hear it on your recording and then watch the on demand it is there .  My husband used to do sound editing and he notices it without trying too so that is the reason we will be getting a credit!  

Yup, missed that part. There goes that idea.

New Poster

Same issue here. Been happening past few weeks. Southern NH. Using a Tivo Premiere XL. Only AMC. All shows as far as I can tell. No way to DM you Ally.
Contributor

@Xiplok wrote:
Same issue here. Been happening past few weeks. Southern NH. Using a Tivo Premiere XL. Only AMC. All shows as far as I can tell. No way to DM you Ally.

I'm emailing back and forth with her. I will tell her to get in contact with you.

New Poster

Same problem here near Annapolis, Maryland, for several weeks. Most noticeable on The Walking Dead, but also interfering with The Little Drummer Girl tonight. They sound like little strangled bee sounds. Is anyone from Comcast actually reading this huge thread and doing anything on a national basis?

Contributor

@Anon1413625 wrote:

Same problem here near Annapolis, Maryland, for several weeks. Most noticeable on The Walking Dead, but also interfering with The Little Drummer Girl tonight. They sound like little strangled bee sounds. Is anyone from Comcast actually reading this huge thread and doing anything on a national basis?

Yes. ComcastAlly has been in the thread and is working on it.

Frequent Visitor

We decided to try watching it on the xfinity app on cellaur service and the Noise is still there..  come on comcast you need to tell us on this thread what you are trying to do .  So far, your private message person asked if my modem and box were on the same cable in the same room and ask when the last time a tech was out?  I gave that person my name and addy they could look at my info and let me know when the last time a tech was out.  Don't make me work for your issue!

That is not the way to get to the bottom of this noise issue....

New Poster

I received the below response from ComcastAlly. Basically there is no hope in sight.

“As of right now, I am aware of the customers who are having issues with AMC. I'm handling it on an individual basis because there are no known issues at this time, and there are customers who are experiencing different issues than others. We will need to troubleshoot this issue individually in order to find the root cause, and I appreciate you reaching out. Once it becomes a known issue, I'll be sure to update the public thread. “