Community Forum

4k Box

Regular Contributor

4k Box

Since the mods deleted my previous post... here is a real question... 

What is the point of upgrading to a 4k box when you can't even master the basics (get all your channels in HD) how can you advertise 4k?

From what I understand this is 4k netflix... but why not just get a roku stick and a 4k netflix subscription?  At least you don't have to worry about the content being compressed!

Why is Xfinity lying to consumers when they still offer a ton of channels in SD ONLY?  (Premium channels)  How can you talk about going the superbowl (4k) when you can't make the playoffs (HD 1080)?  Can any rep please reply?  

Expert

Re: 4k Box

@Waqas1 wrote:

Since the mods deleted my previous post... here is a real question... 

What is the point of upgrading to a 4k box when you can't even master the basics (get all your channels in HD) how can you advertise 4k?

From what I understand this is 4k netflix... but why not just get a roku stick and a 4k netflix subscription?  At least you don't have to worry about the content being compressed!

Why is Xfinity lying to consumers when they still offer a ton of channels in SD ONLY?  (Premium channels)  How can you talk about going the superbowl (4k) when you can't make the playoffs (HD 1080)?  Can any rep please reply?  

As far as 4k programing is concerned; I have yet to get a 4k DVR because of current situation.

I get all my 4K programing using the television's apps and high-speed Internet. I am waiting for better 4K equipment from them before switching.

As for Premium HD channels, yes they only have one for most Premium channels. The rest are SD. Anyone who bothers to look at channel listings for their particular service should notice it. I don't see where you think someone is lying.

There is a limited amount of broadband space each provider has to use. Some may choose to offer more HD channels, but fewer channels over all. It's up to each of us to decide what works best for our viewing habits. In the end they all tend to end up similar monthly cost after discount period ends.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

I just noticed today that there is a new non-dvr, Wi-Fi, 4K cable-box, Xi6 being delivered to some service areas. It might be a new option to check out. Hopefully we will see information on the new box soon.
The box will be tech. installed only for now. There is a post under "X1" forum.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

Please enlighten me.  will this box get majority of our channels to 1080i ?  will it bring the premiums in hd?  

Expert

@Waqas1 wrote:

Please enlighten me.  will this box get majority of our channels to 1080i ?  will it bring the premiums in hd?  

Right now I am still waiting for more information on the Xi6 cable-box. Check the "Answered Questions"  and  "Knowledge Base"  or information on the cable-boxes. Since the new cable-box is being introduced and Tech. installed in a few areas for Beta testing, there should be more information available in the the coming months.

Hopefully we will see a box that will output a better picture for 4K televisions. As for "majority of channels in 1080i" for linear cable. Highly unlikely. We will see status quo.

The best path will likely be 1080p, 1440p, or 2160p, going IPV. The NBC app is 1080p already for most shows run like On Demand. The app is free. It works fine on my UHD tv.

Regular Contributor

what about the Premium channel dilemna?  Are you saying there is a possibility we will see a wider selection of premium channels in HD ? When is this set to hit ?

Regular Contributor

send me the link please.  you can share any updates with me.  

Regular Contributor

does the 4k box upconvert the regular channels from 720p?

Official Employee

Hello Waqas1, MNtundraRET was correct that Xi6 is currently in testing and not available for use. We plan to release it at a later time, but right now all of our 4k content is available on Netflix. The 4k box will upconvert the regular channels from 720p, to a higher resolution if they broadcast any higher. None will show in 4k at this time. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

Great!  Another question ComcastAmira

Will this Xi6 make all of the premium channels air in HD?  Right now a vast majority of premium channels air in SD... so will the xi6 box make those SD premium channels in HD?

No 4k is fine, I am just concerend about my premiums being in HD and 1080i for normal broadcasts instead of 720p. 

Official Employee

Whatever channels are showing up on your present lineup with the box that you have will show exactly the same way, it doesn’t matter what box. The premium SD feeds are not going to magically change with the type of box.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

you just crushed whatever little faith i had in Xfinity video. 

Official Employee

Sorry, I’ve relayed this to you in other posts too. That’s what’s available in your market

Regular Contributor

Quit making excuses.  Every other major cable sat provider can get their premiums in HD.. WHY CAN'T XFINITY?  Its really sad that every major cable/sat provider offers more HD content than Xfinity.  You guys love to charge us addtional fees but fail to give us good quality service. 

Why on earth are you advertising 4k when you have so many SD channels ?  Can you please take ownership of your terrible video quality?

NHL Center ICE -SD 

NBA League Pass (for the longest time) in SD 

Bein Sports in SD till you lost their contract 

Official Employee

Re Centre ice for your information
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/NHL-Center-Ice-HD-Beta-Trial-X1/m-p/2875571#M125136

RE NBA pass for your information
https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/NBA-League-Pass-HD-Beta-Trial-X1/m-p/2976852#M137847

Regular Contributor

How dare I ask for all my channels to be in HD and not in SD.  LMAO you act like HD is some cutting edge technology when it is pretty standard in every household .... why do you like to rip your customers off?

You also love to blame the networks yet every other major cable/sat provider has the premiums, nhl center, nba league pass, mlb extra innings etc... 

Regular Contributor

The fact that you even had those channels in SD shows how selfish Xfinity is.  HD is an industry standard.  Why on earth do you charge extra for premiums but have them in SD?  You want me to show articles (from non bias sources) that shows how much better Directv's picture quality is than xfinity?

Want me to show you all the 3rd party apps that Directv and Dish allow their users to autheticate through that xfinity doesn't ?

(NFL Network, Starz, Viacom standalone apps just to name a few )