Community Forum

4K Women's World Cup

Frequent Visitor

4K Women's World Cup

I saw an ad for "Summer of Soccer" that says Xfinity will bring "all the action in 4K Ultra HD in both English and Spanish" for the Women's World Cup. I contacted ComcastCares on twitter to ask if it would be similar to last year's Men's World Cup where it was only in 4K on demand the following day or if it would be live in 4K. Their response was that after some digging "If all goes as planned, playback of 4K live linear coverage will be provided in English from Fox and Spanish from Telemundo."

Does anyone know if that means if I put on fox/telemundo it will automatically show in 4k or if they will be on some sort of additional channel?

Also, are there any similar plans for the 2019 Copa America? 
Regular Contributor

Re: 4K Women's World Cup

@adidas3011 wrote:

I saw an ad for "Summer of Soccer" that says Xfinity will bring "all the action in 4K Ultra HD in both English and Spanish" for the Women's World Cup. I contacted ComcastCares on twitter to ask if it would be similar to last year's Men's World Cup where it was only in 4K on demand the following day or if it would be live in 4K. There response was that after some digging "If all goes as planned, playback of 4K live linear coverage will be provided in English from Fox and Spanish from Telemundo."

Does anyone know if that means if I put on fox/telemundo it will automatically show in 4k or if they will be on some sort of additional channel?

Also, are there any similar plans for the 2019 Copa America? 

No there are no individual channels broadcasting in 4K. 

Nothing has been announced for Copa America

Frequent Visitor

I’m not sure what your reply means.

There are no individual 4k channels...so the fox and telemundo feeds will automatically switch to 4k?
Expert

@adidas3011 wrote:

There are no individual 4k channels...so the fox and telemundo feeds will automatically switch to 4k?

Neither FOX or Telemundo have 4K transmission over the air, or on cable. The FOX feed will be in 720p. Same for Telemundo. If there is any 4K signal sent to the Comcast 4K DVR, it will be replayed after the live event each time.

If there is any possibility of watching the event "live" in 4K (through the 4K DVR), we will certainly hear about it from Comcast when the Women's World Cup starts.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

@adidas3011 wrote:

How can they? That would mean nobody without a 4K HDTV would be able to watch.

Frequent Visitor

I don’t know. I’m not sure how that all works, that’s why I was asking. They said it would be “4k live linear”. I just want to know what that means in terms of me watching the games.
B1F5EEE4-0290-4390-B0D3-C01EB7A6BB74.jpeg
Diamond Problem Solver

Basically, it’s live programming (live linear) played back in 4K, through On Demand the next day

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

That doesn’t add up with what they said. They said 4k live linear on Fox and Telemundo... and ALSO on demand the next day but only in spanish from Telemundo.
Expert

@adidas3011 wrote:
That doesn’t add up with what they said. They said 4k live linear on Fox and Telemundo... and ALSO on demand the next day but only in spanish from Telemundo.

The ads you saw plus the Comcast Cares reply are mis-leading. The World Cup will be filmed "live" mostly with older HD cameras, and some 4K cameras. The only way it can be watched in 4K is IPV (transmitted over the Internet in high-speed-broadband in 2160p). Telemundo and FOX will be shown live with older cameras on their channels.

That means watching through your 4K DVR with Comcast. 4K programing is still Beta (experimental) so while there may be an outside chance of watching "live" in 4K all past attempts with Comcast have failed.  So the likely-hood is watching it next day after it is taped.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Frequent Visitor

I’m not sure what happened to the post where a comcast employee answered but anyway,

If you say “4k” into the remote the games pop up Live in 4K. Searching “women’s world cup in 4k” doesn’t bring up the 4k streams. You have to search for just 4k.
Expert

@adidas3011 wrote:
I’m not sure what happened to the post where a comcast employee answered but anyway,

If you say “4k” into the remote the games pop up Live in 4K. Searching “women’s world cup in 4k” doesn’t bring up the 4k streams. You have to search for just 4k.

Are you getting to see world cup in 4K "live"? I can't watch it in 4K because I have Internet from someone besides Comcast and can't use their 4k DVR.

The post you mentioned was pulled while I was traveling by someone else for a technical forum violation. New Comcast employee "vetting" for forum use. Hopefully; it will return soon if correct information was supplied. Don't worry about it.

Frequent Visitor

Yes the channels are 4K live.
Expert

@adidas3011 wrote:
Yes the channels are 4K live.

That is good news! The first time for Comcast doing any "live" streaming of 4K.  Thank you for updating us with the news.

Frequent Visitor

That’s great it’ll be live. I missed a couple of matches and wanted to watch it onDemand in 4K. Its not available. It’s some what odd because I watch the first match (France vs. Korea) onDemand? Has 4K onDemand been dropped in favor for live 4K of the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup?
Expert

@ik2k16 wrote:
That’s great it’ll be live. I missed a couple of matches and wanted to watch it onDemand in 4K. Its not available. It’s some what odd because I watch the first match (France vs. Korea) onDemand? Has 4K onDemand been dropped in favor for live 4K of the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup?

Any world cup match watched without using the 4K DVR after asking for "4K" will only be in 720p or 420p (horizontal bars). The regular cameras are use for those transmissions.

You can only get the 2160p (4k) signal using the 4K DVR connected to a 4K television with a 4K compatible HDMI cable.

Frequent Visitor

I have the necessary equipment and TV package for 4K. I believe I watched the first FIFA Women’s World in 4K onDemand. I’m simply asking if viewing replays of FIFA Women World Cup games in 4K is possible.
Expert

@ik2k16 wrote:
I have the necessary equipment and TV package for 4K. I believe I watched the first FIFA Women’s World in 4K onDemand. I’m simply asking if viewing replays of FIFA Women World Cup games in 4K is possible.

I would check your 4K DVR to see what might show up under asking: "4K" for each day.

Official Employee

Some details at the links below. Thanks and enjoy the games! 

https://corporate.comcast.com/press/releases/comcast-complete-live-4k-coverage-fifa-womens-world-cup...

https://www.cnet.com/news/fifa-womens-world-cup-to-be-broadcast-by-xfinity-x1/

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/2019060856295/comcast-to-deliver-women-s-world-cup-in-4k.html#axzz5qSKVT...

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks. I see that the Women’s World Cup games in 4K are available Ondemand two days after the live broadcast but in Spanish only Telemundo. This is understandable because Telemundo is owned by Comcast and FS1 isn’t which provides the games in English in live 4K. I’ll be sure can’t the games live in 4K which is awesome. I hope MLB, NFL, NHL and NBA games are next to be shown live  in 4K because FS1 has the capability and have done so in the last couple of years.

New Poster

Yes but are these games actually in 4K? I watched bits of a couple of games today and the picture wasn’t that crisp. I thought the sharpness would have been way better.

Official Employee

Hi All, 

Watch Options shows all the ways you can watch the 4K match live. You’ll only be given the option to Record in HD. Once you pick a match to watch, the highest resolution that your TV supports will be shown first.

For 4K TVs and 4K TV Boxes, the Watch button will say “Watch in 4K UHD.”

You will need a compatible 4K or 4K UHD TV and 4K X1 box to watch 4K content. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

I would add that a lot of people might have the 4K box in 720p mode when watching regular programing through Comcast.

Don't forget to set the box to 2160p output for watching the 4K soccer matches. Otherwise; you will get the 720p signal and the 4K television will have to upscale that signal.