Community Forum

early termination fee for no service

Highlighted
New Poster

early termination fee for no service

I became an Xfinity customer in May of 2017 and carried and expanded my service with them for 2 years until recently purchasing a new home 10 minutes away.  I contacted Xfinity to change my address only to find out they do not service my new home area.

I reluctantly switched providers to a competitor.  A month and a half later I receive a bill for $160 early termination fee - WHAT?  How is it my fault Xfinity doesn't have service in my new residential area?

I called and spoke with a customer service rep who requested the fee be removed with the finance department who of course denied the request.  Clearly Xfinity cares more about their wallet than they do customer service. 

Make this right Xfinity....change your policy or expand your service range.  #poorcustomerservice

Expert

Re: early termination fee for no service

@lairds10 wrote:

I became an Xfinity customer in May of 2017 and carried and expanded my service with them for 2 years until recently purchasing a new home 10 minutes away.  I contacted Xfinity to change my address only to find out they do not service my new home area.

I reluctantly switched providers to a competitor.  A month and a half later I receive a bill for $160 early termination fee - WHAT?  How is it my fault Xfinity doesn't have service in my new residential area?

I called and spoke with a customer service rep who requested the fee be removed with the finance department who of course denied the request.  Clearly Xfinity cares more about their wallet than they do customer service. 

Make this right Xfinity....change your policy or expand your service range.  #poorcustomerservice

If you were in a contract and moved to an area Comcast doesn't service you are effectively the one breaking the contract, not Comcast; this was specifically mentioned in your contract.  If Comcast isn't in your area it means some other ISP holds the franchise rights to that area and Comcast cannot provide service there.  You are responsible for the early termination fees.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

@lairds10 wrote:

Apologies for the recent issue as well as for the overall customer experience that we put you through.

I wanted to let you know that we have credited the $160 on your account for the poor experience and to cover the early termination fees. 

Apologies again. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Terrible customer service to start with. But my issue is an early termination fee of $150.00 we received after being informed by an Xfinity rep that service was not available in the area my husband and I purchased our new home. We purchased a home located <address redacated>  in Woodland Park Colorado. Contacted Xfinity to have our service transferred to the new home only to be told service was not available at that location. Keep in mind that both my husband and I loved Xfinity with the voice recognition remote. NOT ANYMORE! We're now told that we are responsible for the early termination fee even though Xfinity wasn't able to provide the service and that its apparently in the contract that if we moved out of service area we would be liable for early termination even though it was Exfinity that terminated US by not offering service at our new home. Understand that IF this IS in the contract then talk about a slime ball move on Xfinity's point. So Xfinity is basically saying we should have checked for available Xfinity service prior to putting in an offer on and purchasing a new home to avoid the early termination fee even though both myself and my husband want the service at our new home? That's ludicrous and truly has now taken a happy and loyal Xfinity customer and made us never wanting to do service with your company again. Its more important to Xfinity to collect a $150.00 early termination fee that they created themselves by not providing the requested service, Than it is to maintain good customer service and understand that life doesn't revolve around Xfinity's service or lack of! If this $150.00 early termination fee is allowed to stay on a billing to me than I can assure you I will be posting all over social media showing everyone that will listen, how Xfinity has a misguided profit before service clause in their contracts not understanding that they have now lost a client for good. So this $150.00 early termination fee cost the company any future dealings by us and will in fact cost more as My husband has quite the mouth and social media contacts in spreading the word of this pathetic policy! SMH Just not right!

Official Employee

@Pitchman101 wrote:

Terrible customer service to start with. But my issue is an early termination fee of $150.00 we received after being informed by an Xfinity rep that service was not available in the area my husband and I purchased our new home. We purchased a home located at <address redacted>. Contacted Xfinity to have our service transferred to the new home only to be told service was not available at that location. Keep in mind that both my husband and I loved Xfinity with the voice recognition remote. NOT ANYMORE! We're now told that we are responsible for the early termination fee even though Xfinity wasn't able to provide the service and that its apparently in the contract that if we moved out of service area we would be liable for early termination even though it was Exfinity that terminated US by not offering service at our new home. Understand that IF this IS in the contract then talk about a slime ball move on Xfinity's point. So Xfinity is basically saying we should have checked for available Xfinity service prior to putting in an offer on and purchasing a new home to avoid the early termination fee even though both myself and my husband want the service at our new home? That's ludicrous and truly has now taken a happy and loyal Xfinity customer and made us never wanting to do service with your company again. Its more important to Xfinity to collect a $150.00 early termination fee that they created themselves by not providing the requested service, Than it is to maintain good customer service and understand that life doesn't revolve around Xfinity's service or lack of! If this $150.00 early termination fee is allowed to stay on a billing to me than I can assure you I will be posting all over social media showing everyone that will listen, how Xfinity has a misguided profit before service clause in their contracts not understanding that they have now lost a client for good. So this $150.00 early termination fee cost the company any future dealings by us and will in fact cost more as My husband has quite the mouth and social media contacts in spreading the word of this pathetic policy! SMH Just not right!

Apologies for the recent issue as well as for the overall customer experience that we put you through.

As a courtesy, we have reversed the $150 charge on your account for the early termination fees. Apologies again and thanks for your patience.  

More information about ETFs can be found here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/How-to-determine-if-you-will-be-subject-to-Xfinity-Ea...

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Yes, terrible customer service. I also received an early termination fee when I canceled outside of my contract. I believe this was due to the rep extending my service for a "free" month, an offer which I SPECIFICALLY rejected and did not want, clearly stated this multiple times, yet he applied to my account anyway. He did not mention any early termination fee because I canceled service coinciding with the end of my contract. I also had to contact customer service multiple times to cancel because the first woman I spoke to told me she had put the cancellation through, but she lied and did not! I had no problems with Xfinity before this. Why was I cancelling in the first place? Because I moved into a home that is already being serviced by Xfinity. Nearly 2 months later I get a bill showing a line item for the "free" month he applied without my consent along with an early termination fee? Nope. And now I can't even view any of my account details or bills online?

Official Employee

@jh135 wrote:

Yes, terrible customer service. I also received an early termination fee when I canceled outside of my contract. I believe this was due to the rep extending my service for a "free" month, an offer which I SPECIFICALLY rejected and did not want, clearly stated this multiple times, yet he applied to my account anyway. He did not mention any early termination fee because I canceled service coinciding with the end of my contract. I also had to contact customer service multiple times to cancel because the first woman I spoke to told me she had put the cancellation through, but she lied and did not! I had no problems with Xfinity before this. Why was I cancelling in the first place? Because I moved into a home that is already being serviced by Xfinity. Nearly 2 months later I get a bill showing a line item for the "free" month he applied without my consent along with an early termination fee? Nope. And now I can't even view any of my account details or bills online?

As a courtesy, we have reversed the Early  Termination Fee, credited your account for a full month of service and zeroed out the remaining balance on your account.

You should expect to receive a refund check in the mail at the mailing address listed on your account in 2-4 weeks.

Apologies again and thanks for your patience.

More information about ETFs can be found here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/How-to-determine-if-you-will-be-subject-to-Xfinity-Ea...