Community Forum

Xfinity lied to me, and wrongly charged almost $500!

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity lied to me, and wrongly charged almost $500!

I simply asked to transfer my account to my wife's name (same services, same address), and I have been charged $460 in Early Termination Fees!! Story below...

- On October  13, 2019, we went in-person to the Xfinity Store (Tukwila, WA).
- We asked to change names on my existing account from my name to my wife's name.
- However, we were told that my account had to be closed, and a new account opened under her name.
- We were told in-person at the store that it would be treated as transfer, and there would be NO early termination fees (ETFs) for closing my account.

- On October 24, 2019, we were ALSO told in a Xfinity Chat that the final bill would be only $62.03 (have screenshot proof).

- On November 8, 2019 (today),  we received a bill with $460 in ETFs (2 x $230)!!

- We called Xfinity (1-800-934-6489), and they would not remove the fees.

- My account is closed and my wife's account is active (same service, same address). PLEASE HELP!

Expert

Re: Xfinity lied to me, and wrongly charged almost $500!

@Seattle206 wrote:

I simply asked to transfer my account to my wife's name (same services, same address), and I have been charged $460 in Early Termination Fees!! Story below...

- On October  13, 2019, we went in-person to the Xfinity Store (Tukwila, WA).
- We asked to change names on my existing account from my name to my wife's name.
- However, we were told that my account had to be closed, and a new account opened under her name.
- We were told in-person at the store that it would be treated as transfer, and there would be NO early termination fees (ETFs) for closing my account.

- On October 24, 2019, we were ALSO told in a Xfinity Chat that the final bill would be only $62.03 (have screenshot proof).

- On November 8, 2019 (today),  we received a bill with $460 in ETFs (2 x $230)!!

- We called Xfinity (1-800-934-6489), and they would not remove the fees.

- My account is closed and my wife's account is active (same service, same address). PLEASE HELP!

Your wife didn't take over your account; IOW, it wasn't transferred to her name.  She has a completely new account, and yours was closed.  If you were in a contract, then the ETF would apply, which is probably why they are refusing to refund the fee.  [I have no clue why you've been charged twice, though, unless you also have Home Security.]

I'm guessing [rightly or wrongly] you were trying to avoid higher prices on your account by closing your account and having someone else in the household - in this case, your wife - sign up for new customer rates.  Given the fact they charged you $230 you went back to a 24 month agreement after your contract expired and then decided to pull the switch, at which time you garnered the ETF.  At least, this is what it sounds like occurred.

This is just my opinion, and I have no information to confirm or deny this, but I think that Comcast is getting savvy to customers who do this in order to get new customer prices. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

@Again wrote:

Your wife didn't take over your account; IOW, it wasn't transferred to her name.  She has a completely new account, and yours was closed.  If you were in a contract, then the ETF would apply, which is probably why they are refusing to refund the fee.  [I have no clue why you've been charged twice, though, unless you also have Home Security.]

I'm guessing [rightly or wrongly] you were trying to avoid higher prices on your account by closing your account and having someone else in the household - in this case, your wife - sign up for new customer rates.  Given the fact they charged you $230 you went back to a 24 month agreement after your contract expired and then decided to pull the switch, at which time you garnered the ETF.  At least, this is what it sounds like occurred.

This is just my opinion, and I have no information to confirm or deny this, but I think that Comcast is getting savvy to customers who do this in order to get new customer prices. 

You're plain wrong. She has the same prices that I have; same service and same address. As I said in my original post, we went to switch the names on the account. And THEY told us that the way to do so was to close the accounts. And THEY told us that there would be no ETFs. We never asked for a new price nor mentioned price.

Frequent Visitor

I went to speak with someone at the Xfinity Store, Nov 10th (yesterday). Still waiting for a resolution...