Community Forum

Why use misleading "bait and switch" tactics?

New Poster

Why use misleading "bait and switch" tactics?

I recieved a cold call to upgrade my internet to faster speed and streaming services with a "30 day free trial" under the premise of it being "risk free." Less than 24 hours later, I realized my TV is too old to use the streaming service, so I call back to restore my account to the way it was.

Low and behold, I can only get my old service at a higher price. The rep's arguement was that my service was changing to a higher price in a few months anyways - one said it was 59.99 (which I think was the correct one), but a different rep insisted I would be paying 74.99 (clearly a lie to get me to agree). How is this a risk free trial?

8 representatives and almost 2 hours later, they kept me at a higher price with the same service but agreed to credit my account the difference the remaining months would have made.

If my account was going to bump up to 59.99, why not market the "upgrade" as having more services for upgrading earlier rather than misleading me and loosing absolutley all my trust from any Comcast/Xfinity representative? It was extremely frustrating for me and the service reps who have to follow their company policy in explaining their backwards sales tactics.

Now we are where we started, with so much of my time and your reps time wasted. Comcast/Infinity also lost 100% of my trust. I feel bad for the next cold caller.

Common sense is not that common it seems.

Is this seriousy the standard sales process?

Official Employee

Re: Why use misleading "bait and switch" tactics?

Hello dhuc, thank you for creating a post. I am sorry for the misunderstanding but this sounds like the whole deal went downhill from the beginning. To my understanding the sales representative did disclose the 30 day trail period but did not go into detail what the trail meant. You do have 30 days to cancel or to choose another package without penalty, but this does not guarantee the old rate will be there. If you'd like to look into some other deals that could possibly get you closer to the rate you had before please reach back out to me here.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I am wondering same thing...was coerced into a 2 yr contract in June with the promise my bill would stay the same and six months later it was raised $10...and they try to use the lame excuse well it's other fees not the package..the bill is the bill and I was lied to and I will be fighting this every way possible...Comcast must stop being the sleazy unethical company they are and show some appreciation for customers which at this point they get a zero score for...they can't continue to act clueless about why people despise them and their tactics while they continue to gouge anyone who is paying them and has for numerous years not to mention is a senior on a fixed income.  I would have never gotten locked into a 2 yr contract with a cancellation fee of $235 if I knew my bill was going to go up and they will probably continue to raise it...if anyone is an attorney and can offer advise about signing a contract under duress of thinking bill would be consistent please let me know.

Frequent Visitor

I feel the same way you do. I'm a senior on a fixed income. I have downgraded and downgraded so I could continue with Comcast. I am supposed to be on a fixed-price contract for 2 years. It has been 1 year and my price went up $10.  It's not the $10 that riles me up. It's the fact I  was told my rates would stay the same for 2 years. Check your records Comast, it's been ONE year, not TWO . I have been with Comcast since I lived in Muncie and they first offered their service there. That was in 2001.   I  have NEVER been late.  I have been a loyal customer but it's only the new customers that get the breaks. Not very fair or good business. I've threatened to switch before but no one cares. They're so rich, they don't need my $154, no $164 now every month. But  I do. I'm 82 years old and I hate the hassle of changed servers, but I guess that's what is going to happen. I can't afford all the raises.

Expert

@jimbev00 wrote:

I feel the same way you do. I'm a senior on a fixed income. I have downgraded and downgraded so I could continue with Comcast. I am supposed to be on a fixed-price contract for 2 years. It has been 1 year and my price went up $10.  It's not the $10 that riles me up. It's the fact I  was told my rates would stay the same for 2 years. Check your records Comast, it's been ONE year, not TWO . I have been with Comcast since I lived in Muncie and they first offered their service there. That was in 2001.   I  have NEVER been late.  I have been a loyal customer but it's only the new customers that get the breaks. Not very fair or good business. I've threatened to switch before but no one cares. They're so rich, they don't need my $154, no $164 now every month. But  I do. I'm 82 years old and I hate the hassle of changed servers, but I guess that's what is going to happen. I can't afford all the raises.

Your plan rate most likely didn't change but stayed the same.  Taxes, equipment fees, and surcharges are not included in your plan rate so are subject to increase.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

My bill is the monthly  amount I pay and I was led to believe that was staying the same period--I would never have agreed to be  locked into a 2 year agreement if the "bill" was going to go up one penney from what it was--I don't want to hear about the games Comcast plays with all the fees..$190 is enough they can absorb the other fees if they lock me into an agreement...I am told the $10 was equipment fees well I've had the same equipment for 5 years if anything the fees should be decreasing for depreciaton.

New Poster

I have decided it is better to just pay to cancel as it will be so much cheaper with other services and I will save a ton in the long run--google how to cut the cord from Comcast and you will find all kinds of good advice--I only want about 30 of the 283 channels so I can find that with some of the streaming services...it will feel really good after 20 years of being gouged and treated horribly instead of as a loyal customer as you to be done with them for good asmthey have zero consideration for their customers and need to learn by everyone just dropping them!