Community Forum

Why do I have to pay a broadcast TV fee on an Internet+Stream plan? Or do I also have TV?

New Poster

Why do I have to pay a broadcast TV fee on an Internet+Stream plan? Or do I also have TV?

Hello. I switched from an Internet-only plan to another Internet-only plan that included Streampix and HBO for a year. Streampix isn't that easy to use, but I digress. Anyway, I now get a $7.00 broadcast TV fee. I tried Chat Support and they said it is because of the Streampix service, which honestly doesn't make much sense to me. Also, when I go check my account online, it says I have TV and Internet services, including 30 Basic TV channels. That was never mentioned to me. Do I also get cable TV channels, even if they are basic, if I happen to split my Internet coax cable and send one to the TV? I don't have a cable box or anything plus I didn't have TV with you guys, before.

Can anyone clarify this for me? It feels silly to pay a $7.00 broadcast TV fee but I'm also confused as to whether or not I'm getting basic channels over coax that I don't know about. Internet plans used to be simple: you selected a speed, and that was it.

Pictures below:

Xfinity Services.PNGXfinity TV Plan or What is This.PNG

Regular Contributor

Re: Why do I have to pay a broadcast TV fee on an Internet+Stream plan? Or do I also have TV?

Sorry, can't really answer your whole question but I do know that you are charged a broadcast TV fee just because they can.

I wish people would contact people like the FCC and their Attorney General and report this.

If you vote, then contact your rep's.

Regular Visitor

Re: Why do I have to pay a broadcast TV fee on an Internet+Stream plan? Or do I also have TV?

I get charged the same fee with internet and stream plan. It makes no sense...

Borami O.
Official Employee

Hello @AJinDespair. It sounds like you have the Internet Plus package which comes with our Limited Basic cable package. For that reason we charge a Broadcast TV Fee:

The Broadcast TV Fee is an itemized charge that recovers a portion of the costs of re-transmitting broadcast television signals. Broadcast stations have the right to charge for their signals, and cable provides like Comcast end up paying substantial fees in order to carry them.

If you'd like me to check your account specifically, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can assist you. 

New Poster

HEy the same thing just happened to me today just became aware of the TV charge.....i have a internet plus plan (thought it was a internet only plan) but they told me i get streampix etc that comes along with it (when i signed up for the plan long ago) and they never mentioned a TV service was comming along with the plan to me ....until today....ive been ripped off for over a year now and they cant do nothing about it (SAD part is i didnt even get to enjoy the TV service i was supposedly given not even a Second of it)...just like you i didnt have a cable box, a cable,or any equipment for that matter for TV.......just wondering if you got your case taken care of? if so how and how did it go?

New Poster

I was about to ask the same question. I'm charged a broadcast fee and a sports fee. I can maybe see the broadcast fee though I'm strictly internet but a sports fee! I do not watch sports.
Official Employee

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us. I would be happy to assist you from here. Can you verify your account information with me? I would need your account number, full name, and service address. You can private message me by clicking my name and clicking private message. Thank you

New Poster

This fee represents a portion of the cost to carry and distribute broadcast television signals to customers. This is not a government mandated or required fee and will increase from time to time. Comcast and other providers have broken these fees out so customers and the public can more readily identify the impact of increases in broadcast costs on their services.