Community Forum

Unauthorized Installation Fee

New Poster

Unauthorized Installation Fee

I have recently started service with Comcast, and selected to use the self install kit. The installation was unsuccessful because there was no internet signal reaching the cable modem. I called customer care who informed me that they needed to send a technician out to assist with setting up my service.

I specifically asked the agent if there was a cost for having a technician come out, and the agent replied that there would be no charge. I have now received my bill, and a 60 dollar installation fee is listed. This is on top of the 15 dollar self install kit fee that I had already paid.

I called your billing department, and the second agent was only able to offer 30 dollars waived, which still leaves another 30 dollars charged for something i was specifically told would have no cost.

You are essentially double charging people when you charge 15 dollars for a self install kit that they are unable to finish when there is no cable signal.

This is not a good way to start a customer relationship.

Expert

Re: Unauthorized Installation Fee

If you attempt a self-install and fail, then Comcast must send a tech. If they send a tech, you get charged a fee. This fee is the same as an installation fee. If you consider the $15 for the self-install kit + the $60 fee=$75- $30 credit -- you are only paying $45 for an install fee. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

Had I not called in, I would have been charged 75 dollars for an install fee. Why offer a self-install option to an address where your internet signal is not even active? I was able to self-install fully, but there was a problem with the service completely outside of my control.

That 30 dollar credit also cost me time and frustration. Are you saying I should be thankful because I got scammed less for complainng?

New Poster

It has always surprised me that cable providers so often get started off the wrong foot like this. I thought it was a Comcast specific issue but I encountered even worse issues in the past with other companies, usually boiling down to 1) poor communication (usually contradictory information), 2) unauthorized charges, and 3) having to wait days for a tech to come out who can't even fix the problem / having to wait months for an unauthorized charge to disappear. 

I have tried to be more cautious in asking if I will be incurring a charge for something, but of course you're often given misinformation or even straight up lied to. Then when that unauthorized charge gets put on, good luck getting it off. My advice is that it's a problem seemingly with all cable/TV providers (from my limited experience) and that you should comb over your charges routinely (at least each billing cycle) and call multiple times until it is rectified. But it's a long and frustrating process.

P.S. Hopefully you also don't suffer the random additional service charges like I did, one month I noticed I had been being charged an extra $5 or so for a TV guide I never asked for (and didn't know about because my neighbor was stealing) for half a year. Another time I noticed I was paying an extra $10 for a 2nd DVR box that I didn't have.

New Poster

Has anyone tried initiating a chargeback with their credit card company for these types of unauthorized charges? I think a phone call and a forum post should be enough to satisfy trying to work with the merchant to resolve the dispute.