Community Forum

Technician Visit Charge for Comcast-Side Issue?

New Poster

Technician Visit Charge for Comcast-Side Issue?

I singed up for Comcast Xfinity Internet service a little over a week ago. Last week I took my modem to the new house and used the Comcast self-install kit to connect my modem to the coaxial cable from the wall. I called Comcast to have them assist me in registering my modem on their network and they were able to receive a signal from my modem. However, an Internet connection was never established to the modem. The phone tech said they would need to send a tech out to my house and that it would cost $60 because I used the self-install kit, regardless if the problem was my equipment or on the Comcast side.

My modem works in my other house, no issues. Comcast confirmed receiving a signal from my modem. When I called Comcast back a few days later they said it's likely they need a tech to "activate" the service at my location and tune the signal. I scheduled a technician to come out tomorrow (Wednesday, April 4th) because I need to get Internet working in my home.

How is this on me to pay a $60 charge for Comcast to send a technician to fix something wrong on their end?

Expert

Re: Technician Visit Charge for Comcast-Side Issue?

@cgrube wrote:

How is this on me to pay a $60 charge for Comcast to send a technician to fix something wrong on their end?

It's the installation charge that they would have charged you if you elected a professional install. Since they have to send a tech out, they are now charging you that fee. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
New Poster

@The_Janitor wrote:

@cgrube wrote:

It's the installation charge that they would have charged you if you elected a professional install. Since they have to send a tech out, they are now charging you that fee. 

The tech is here now - he says there is no signal from the street to the house and will need to install a new drop. I'm still confused why this is charged to me as it is an issue with the Comcast side of the network.

Expert

I see where you are coming from. But in their view, if they had to send a tech (for whatever reason), they charge an installation fee.

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.