Community Forum

Rep's incorrect offer results in *increased* cost for *less* service as I prepare to leave Comcast

Highlighted
Contributor

Rep's incorrect offer results in *increased* cost for *less* service as I prepare to leave Comcast

I've been with Comcast continually for 11 years, paying on time every month. The expiration of my 2-year Double Play contract about four months ago resulted in my pricing going up from $104 with all taxes and fees to $156. While I would have liked to stay with Comcast, I can’t afford the new pricing.

I spoke to people in CS, Billing, and Customer Solutions, and no one was able to help, so I decided to go with a U-Verse deal of $100 base-price and $200 in Visa Gift Cards (12-month contract), for somewhat more channels and 50mbps internet (which is fine -- I don’t really need the 150 I’ve been getting from Comcast). I chatted late one night with Comcast to ask how soon after cancellation I had to return my equipment, and she said that I should call again during businesses hours because she was confident they would keep me with Comcast by coming up with a package that would meet my needs.

So I did so (again), and was delighted that this time the Comcast agent said she found a deal that would give me the channels I told her I most wanted to keep -- namely cable news -- while also retaining the few other stations I watched much of besides cable news, namely TCM and BBC America. I asked if I would still keep my DVR, and she said yes.  And all this for about $115/month, i.e., only about $10 more than I had been paying during the now-expired two-year contract.  I was very happy about this and clicked Agree on the acceptance request form she emailed.

But within an hour, I found that I had NO cable news stations anymore, as well as NO TCM, and NO DVR service. And that the only thing that I wouldn’t have particularly minded her being wrong about -- the internet speed (as 50 would have been OK) -- turned out to be the only thing she got *right* (still 150mbps)!

So I looked into it further (I was on the phone with Comcast pretty much all that afternoon), and found out that what the agent had done was replace my channel lineup (Digital Starter, about 140 channels) with something called the “Entertainment Package,” which in actuality contained *NO* cable news -- or TCM! And that to get cable news, I would have to add a “News and Sports” package for $30/month more. And would have to pay an extra $5 to get DVR back. And on top of all that, my online plan showed that the changes also caused elimination of $25 discount I had still been getting every month -- post-contract -- for having a Double-Play! That all adds up to $175/month -- which is about $20 MORE than the post-contract price I had been bumped up to (and with no more TCM)!

When I called I was told that some of the agents hadn’t learned the new packages yet. Oh, well, then I suppose I should be fine with everything?? (At the time I clicked "OK" on the emailed new offer, how was I to know "Entertainment" didn't include news channels, when the CSR had told me I'd keep them?)  Then I ended up talking with someone in Customer Solutions, who -- like everyone else -- seemed to be searching hard to find an option to bring my price back down to something closer to what my two-year contract had been, but he couldn’t. But when I asked why I shouldn't at least go back to the previous post-contract price of $156, he seemed kind of irritated and said, “what difference does it make if you’re going to U-verse in a week”? And he insisted I would have lost my $25 Double-Play discount anyway after the proration ended  -- which doesn’t make sense given I have been charged the same $156 for three months now (with the DP discount shown), well past any proration period that would have applied had the Double-Play discount really been going away.

I still wanted my DVR even if it was only to be for a short period -- doubly so so that I could have a reminder (via photos) of those shows/movies that I had recorded but not yet watched. Tech support was unable to accomplish that because there was still an order processing, but they escalated my call to a different tech support department where a wonderful and pleasant lady really worked hard to somehow get the DVR functioning again.  (BTW, when I had spoken to the agent who was giving me what turned out to be loads of misinformation about what the $115 offer included, it is possible that I had asked someting like  "Can I keep all my current equipment," rather than specifically using the word DVR; that's the only thing I can't explicitly recall.)

Meanwhile I've  pushed the U-verse installation back ten days while I test free trials of live TV streaming services (thus far Hulu Live TV and YouTube TV), which I would use with a 12-month-intro-price, no-contract, internet-only deal from RCN, which recently entered my city. While the savings wouldn’t be all that great over a U-verse bundle, at least I would get cloud DVR, which U-verse’s streaming app apparently lacks. And any of those options would save me a lot over where I am stuck now with Comcast -- doubly so with the $25 surprise hike that  the “great offer for you!” agent’s error-filled "solution" ended up adding to my already-increased bill (and still with no reinstatement of the promised TCM).

I really feel let down by Comcast, when you delight me with false promises only to pull out the rug and leave me with nothing but an *additional* price bump, lots more wasted time, and reduced service for my last days with you.  Maybe the false promises weren't intentional, but  surely you can appreciate that “she didn’t know” is not a very satisfying excuse.

Official Employee

Re: Rep's incorrect offer results in *increased* cost for *less* service as I prepare to leave Co...

Dennis25, thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. I definitely understand your concerns regarding the experience that you've had, but I would love to have the opportunity to turn this around and find a package that works with you. Please send me a PM with your first and last name to take a look at this further together. I appreciate it. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “Send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Re: Rep's incorrect offer results in *increased* cost for *less* service as I prepare to leave Co...

Dennis25, I'm glad I was able to help find another great package! Please don't hesitate to reach out to us again if you need anything else. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!