Community Forum

Regional Sports Fee (In a world of NO Sports)

Highlighted
Contributor

Regional Sports Fee (In a world of NO Sports)

So as everyone is well aware, with COVID19 pandemic, sports are non-existent.  March Madness cancelled, NBA postponed, NHL postponed, MLB postponed... There are literally no sports.

Is Comcast going to do what is right, and waive their already outrageous Regional Sports Fee for the indefinite future?  Why should their be a sports fee - when there are no sports?

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Regional Sports Fee (In a world of NO Sports)

Might I ask how much your RSF is?  Mine is $16.90 when Comcast's website says it's $8.75...

I do agree with you, though...but chances are they will do nothing........

Guido

Highlighted
Problem Solver

There might not be 'live' sports action, but the sports channels are still providing programming.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Highlighted
Expert

The bigger question is what will happen to sports in general. We will most likely see reruns of old events for a while. Some sports channels may shut done.

Any changes in pricing  here most likely depends whether professional or school sports leagues, teams, reimburse Comcast (or they don,t pay) for unplayed (televised) games. In the short run (month or two) nothing will likely change.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

No Sports b/c of COVID-19: Still Being Charged a Regional Sports Fee ... WHY?

If all sports have been suspended indefinitely amid the COVID-19 pandemic, why are we still being charged a "Regional Sports Fee"? This doesn't make any sense. It's disappointing enough that Comcast refuses to follow AT&T's model of support for customers by waiving Internet data overage fees during this crisis, but to continue to charge us for something we are not receiving and will continue to not receive for weeks, and quite possibly months, to come is absolutely wrong!

It is my belief that the "Regional Sports Fee" should be suspended for as long as major sports are. And, PLEASE, do not try to convince consumers that the channels covered by the "Regional Sports Fee" are still showing content. There are no LIVE sports, which is the only reason I'd ever agree to pay the fee in the first place.

I also believe Comcast should waive customers' Internet data overage fees, but that is another topic.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: No Sports b/c of COVID-19: Still Being Charged a Regional Sports Fee ... WHY?

@tXbFactor wrote:

If all sports have been suspended indefinitely amid the COVID-19 pandemic, why are we still being charged a "Regional Sports Fee"? This doesn't make any sense. It's disappointing enough that Comcast refuses to follow AT&T's model of support for customers by waiving Internet data overage fees during this crisis, but to continue to charge us for something we are not receiving and will continue to not receive for weeks, and quite possibly months, to come is absolutely wrong!

It is my belief that the "Regional Sports Fee" should be suspended for as long as major sports are. And, PLEASE, do not try to convince consumers that the channels covered by the "Regional Sports Fee" are still showing content. There are no LIVE sports, which is the only reason I'd ever agree to pay the fee in the first place.

I also believe Comcast should waive customers' Internet data overage fees, but that is another topic.

They already have.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: No Sports b/c of COVID-19: Still Being Charged a Regional Sports Fee ... WHY?

Can a Comcast representative please respond?  I have not watched a sports channel in a month.  There are no live sports to be watched.  The sports channels are playing re-run games from 30 years ago, and talking about which athletes tested positive for COVID19.

Please suspend the regional sports fee, as there are no sports being played.  

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

For me personally they could block out all of the sports channels and waive the sports fee completely as I couldn't care less about live or recorded sports of ANY kind. Yet unfortunately thanks to our bundle they're part of our channel lineup that NEVER gets used (like 90-95% of the channels).

Honestly we'd be better off with a lineup consisting of only Comedy Central, SyFy, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, WGN America, TBS, Headline News, LOGO and our local stations and nothing else as those are really the ONLY stations we watch.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello All, 

Thanks for posting to the Xfinity Forums. That's a good question, and I hope I can provide some clarity. Although there are no live sports available (NBA League Pass, NHL Center Ice, MLB Extra Innings, etc) due to the pandemic, you will still see this fee on your bill each month. The Regional Sports Network Fee (RSN) is a charge based on our costs of providing the regional sports networks like The Big Ten Network and Fox Sports Southeast that we carry on our cable systems in each area. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

When I signed up for the Sports Fee I was told I could cancel at any time, even in one month or later.  I would hope that since I was paying my part for the agreed Triple Play then this small adjustment should be honored. I will hope (maybe pray) for a response!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@reneeklein 

It's a fee that I think pretty much EVERYBODY pays, just like the broadcast TV fee, which to me is STILL double dipping when the local channels are already part of most (if not all) channel packages. So not only are you paying your monthly fees for your block of channels you're getting you're getting hit a SECOND time just for the local ones, something that you could do for FREE with an antenna.

Also I seem to recall reading somewhere a long time ago that even if you don't get any sports channels pretty much every cable (and satellite) subscriber at that time was paying minimum $5 per month for ESPN.

In other words it's nothing new. It's these media companies way of nickel and diming you. If you ask for them to waive them 'oh we can't, they're automatically added every month'. Problem is nothing will change until enough subscribers give these companies the brush off to where their bottom lines get hurt. Sadly most consumers are not that willing to go without their (in the words of the caricature version of John Madden from Family Guy)....Foootballl to drive their point home to these conglomerates. The best you can do is renegotiate the terms you're stuck with every so often to make it palatable enough for your liking.