Community Forum

Rate increase AGAIN - staying with Comcast or going to Google/ATT?

Contributor

Rate increase AGAIN - staying with Comcast or going to Google/ATT?

We have been with Comcast a long time largely because we use TIVO.  Increasingly Comcast does not work with TIVO so we no longer have Video On Demand, and we lost several premium channels in 2019 b/c Comcast said they were only available by streaming.  

Add to that, apparently at the end of December 2020 whatever promotion we were on ended and our bill has gone up a lot on our plan with steadily declining benefits.  I started looking again and there are promotions, particularly with ATT, that are cheaper at least for 1-2 years.   The ATT plan with less cost has about twice the channels.

Then again, there is an inertia factor of staying with what we have if the loss of services, loss of channels and cost issues can be addressed. 

I have tried talking with 1-800-COMCAST people and, if I get one I can understand, it seems that they can't really help with revising the plan or renegotiating a locked in rate for 1-2 years that is less than what we have now. 

So, is there a department at Comcast that you can call directly where the people have authority to redo the plans beyond what the scripted techs at 1-800-COMCAST can do?  Are there Comcast employees on this forum who can address retention or contract issues?

John

New Poster

Re: Rate increase AGAIN - staying with Comcast or going to Google/ATT?

I have the same issue. My bill went from 86.38 to 91.68 to 117.86. One reason is that they dropped my bundle savings. No idea why yet. You can try to negotiate with them but they give you the run around. You are better off canceling and switching to something else. Unfortunately, that is the game. You have to keep jumping back and forth unless someone comes in with better competition or the government breaks up their control.

New Poster

The "locked in rate" means nothing.  We keep getting that and then the rate goes up anyway!

Contributor

Well, there is truth to that!  In our instance we are on a plan which  although still offered by Comcast in parts of the country is not offered in Nashville.  That plan included all the premium channels such as HBO, Cinemax, etc.   So, last summer we suddenly realized we no longer could get any of the Cinemax channels.   When I called, assuming it was just a programming issue involving the card in the TIVO (which happens 1x to 3x per year) we were told that the premier package we were on did include Cinemax but after several years that it now no longer included Cinemax.  However, there was no reduction in the package plan cost to reflect the removal of the Cinemax channels. 

However, we were told that Comcast still carried Cinemax and we could "add it back" to our package for $12 (or so) a month.  So, effectively they raised our rate $12 a month plus taxes and fees.  I asked them to "add it to the plan" but put a permanentt $12 credit on the account b/c we had been sold the channel in the package and they said they could not do that but never gave me a reason why. 

I was hoping to find a Comcast department or employee who could address this/these issues on the forum because I would rather do that than to try to developing a streaming only alternative or going to Google or ATT to take advantage of they 1 year discounted plans just to switch again in another year.

New Poster

I would cancel and sign up later as a new member.
Expert

@Hellomyfriend wrote:
I would cancel and sign up later as a new member.

Later = 90 days

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

If I cancel as some have suggested and just start hopping from service provider to service provider when promotions end that seems to be a lot of headache.  Also, the plan I am on for TV is no longer available in my city although Comcast still offers it in other cities. 

I have checked and I can just cancel and switch to ATT on a plan that has more premium channels than we have with Comcast and the promotion rate is much lower than my Comcast account is now.  But that means moving everything.  It seems it would be better/easier if Comcast would just get realistic on making efforts to keep customers rather than forcing us to play this cancel and renew or cancel and maybe come back game.

New Poster

idk but I am getting increasingly frustrated, I cant do anything until november, its price gouging and just not right, they lock you in a plan  just so they can squeeze every red cent from you, I was told the plan is the service fee, that the increase billing is for equipment, but you cant get the service without the equipment, its so wrong