Community Forum

Price gouging

Highlighted
New Poster

Price gouging

I just received my new bill, I hope Comcast is aware that raising the price of service during a National Emergency is considered "PRICE GOUGING". I will be contacting the Florida Attorney General to report this later today unless you make amends. 

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Price gouging


@BG1957 wrote:

I just received my new bill, I hope Comcast is aware that raising the price of service during a National Emergency is considered "PRICE GOUGING". I will be contacting the Florida Attorney General to report this later today unless you make amends. 


I seriously doubt it falls under price gouging.  Most likely your contract expired and you're now seeing every day pricing for your bundle.

 

I would say that if your bill went up $100-$500 then you might have something to complain about, but the FAG might not be too concerned about this.  A prime example of this is when Amazon started charging $95 for two 12 oz bottles of hand sanitizer.

 

Price Gouging"Price gouging occurs when a seller increases the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair."


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Price gouging

Comcast raised my bill,  and decreased the amount of stations when I'm only halfway through my contract. The contract does nothing for the customer,<Edited>. I <Edited> going to Verizon, or using one of the many streaming companies out there the day before your contract is over. 

Just peg this as a lesson learned the hardway, and don't forget to spread the word to your friends about how Comcast/Xfinity does business. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Price gouging


@Again wrote:

Price Gouging"Price gouging occurs when a seller increases the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair."


Charging customers for sports (regional sports fee) when they DON'T WATCH them and/or nailing customers for a 'broadcast TV fee' when their local channels are already part of the lineup they're paying for monthly is double dipping <Edited>.  Problem is many customers would rather somebody else do it for them.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Price gouging


@reibertpa wrote:

Comcast raised my bill,  and decreased the amount of stations when I'm only halfway through my contract. The contract does nothing for the customer, <Edited>. I <Edited> going to Verizon, or using one of the many streaming companies out there the day before your contract is over. 

Just peg this as a lesson learned the hardway, and don't forget to spread the word to your friends about how Comcast/Xfinity does business. 


Unfortunately in my area it's either these guys or one of the satellite companies for TV and Verizon doesn't have Fios around here and their DSL pricing is absurd just like cable internet. Only other option for internet besides them or Comcast is satellite where there's caps galore and mediocre service that makes either of the two big companies look great by comparison.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Price gouging

I had Verizon, and they were a good, honest company. As soon as this "contract" with Xfinity/Comcast is up, I'm going back to Verizon for the internet. My son is using BoombaTV, and I'm leaning towards Philo, since they advertise no SPORTS channels. Finally, I can watch my shows and not have to waste money for stations I don't want. 

Good luck to you, hopefully you can find a way. If you can just get internet, you can enjoy all sorts of stuff on Amazon Prime on the Firestick, including getting the pay movie stations like HBO, etc. for a lot cheaper than Xfinity. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Price gouging


@reibertpa wrote:

I had Verizon, and they were a good, honest company. As soon as this "contract" with Xfinity/Comcast is up, I'm going back to Verizon for the internet. My son is using BoombaTV, and I'm leaning towards Philo, since they advertise no SPORTS channels. Finally, I can watch my shows and not have to waste money for stations I don't want. 

Good luck to you, hopefully you can find a way. If you can just get internet, you can enjoy all sorts of stuff on Amazon Prime on the Firestick, including getting the pay movie stations like HBO, etc. for a lot cheaper than Xfinity. 


I wouldn't call any mega corporation good or honest. They're out there to keep the shareholders happy while seeing how mediocre of a product they can give you and how much they can charge for it before you say enough is enough. Verizon found out that a 50% rate hike from what we were paying was enough for me to switch. They were charging us $20 a month for their "fast" DSL (slowest speed, 768Kbps) and we considered ourselves grandfathered in. Wrong. They bumped it to $30 one month.

 

I've looked into other options for just about everything here. Unfortunately besides Verizon or satellite nobody else offers service here that's decent enough for a price that's "cheap" enough for my liking. The ones you mentioned don't have the majority of the channels I watch most though. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Price gouging

Understandable put when multiple customers experience the same issue without notification or well within the contract period it is indeed price gauging. I'll personally be in contact with people as well and I'm showing screens shots of all the posts they've been deleting regarding it
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Price gouging

I don't doubt that they're deleting the hate messages. The thing is it doesn't solve the problems. They're also under the impression that they've got us under their thumbs, with no where to go. They seem to forget that they aren't the only game in town. Once the contract is over, I'm going to Verizon for internet service and Boomba for "cable" stations. I already have the Amazon Firestick, so I can finally cut cable cord. Comcast is big business, and they will get away with jerking customers around. The best thing we can do as customers is spread the word to anyone that will listen, and when they start losing money, maybe they'll start paying attention.