Community Forum

Price gouging

Highlighted
New Poster

Price gouging

I just received my new bill, I hope Comcast is aware that raising the price of service during a National Emergency is considered "PRICE GOUGING". I will be contacting the Florida Attorney General to report this later today unless you make amends. 

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Price gouging

@BG1957 wrote:

I just received my new bill, I hope Comcast is aware that raising the price of service during a National Emergency is considered "PRICE GOUGING". I will be contacting the Florida Attorney General to report this later today unless you make amends. 

I seriously doubt it falls under price gouging.  Most likely your contract expired and you're now seeing every day pricing for your bundle.

I would say that if your bill went up $100-$500 then you might have something to complain about, but the FAG might not be too concerned about this.  A prime example of this is when Amazon started charging $95 for two 12 oz bottles of hand sanitizer.

Price Gouging"Price gouging occurs when a seller increases the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair."

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Comcast raised my bill,  and decreased the amount of stations when I'm only halfway through my contract. The contract does nothing for the customer,<Edited>. I <Edited> going to Verizon, or using one of the many streaming companies out there the day before your contract is over. 

Just peg this as a lesson learned the hardway, and don't forget to spread the word to your friends about how Comcast/Xfinity does business. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Again wrote:

Price Gouging"Price gouging occurs when a seller increases the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair."

Charging customers for sports (regional sports fee) when they DON'T WATCH them and/or nailing customers for a 'broadcast TV fee' when their local channels are already part of the lineup they're paying for monthly is double dipping <Edited>.  Problem is many customers would rather somebody else do it for them.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@reibertpa wrote:

Comcast raised my bill,  and decreased the amount of stations when I'm only halfway through my contract. The contract does nothing for the customer, <Edited>. I <Edited> going to Verizon, or using one of the many streaming companies out there the day before your contract is over. 

Just peg this as a lesson learned the hardway, and don't forget to spread the word to your friends about how Comcast/Xfinity does business. 

Unfortunately in my area it's either these guys or one of the satellite companies for TV and Verizon doesn't have Fios around here and their DSL pricing is absurd just like cable internet. Only other option for internet besides them or Comcast is satellite where there's caps galore and mediocre service that makes either of the two big companies look great by comparison.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I had Verizon, and they were a good, honest company. As soon as this "contract" with Xfinity/Comcast is up, I'm going back to Verizon for the internet. My son is using BoombaTV, and I'm leaning towards Philo, since they advertise no SPORTS channels. Finally, I can watch my shows and not have to waste money for stations I don't want. 

Good luck to you, hopefully you can find a way. If you can just get internet, you can enjoy all sorts of stuff on Amazon Prime on the Firestick, including getting the pay movie stations like HBO, etc. for a lot cheaper than Xfinity. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@reibertpa wrote:

I had Verizon, and they were a good, honest company. As soon as this "contract" with Xfinity/Comcast is up, I'm going back to Verizon for the internet. My son is using BoombaTV, and I'm leaning towards Philo, since they advertise no SPORTS channels. Finally, I can watch my shows and not have to waste money for stations I don't want. 

Good luck to you, hopefully you can find a way. If you can just get internet, you can enjoy all sorts of stuff on Amazon Prime on the Firestick, including getting the pay movie stations like HBO, etc. for a lot cheaper than Xfinity. 

I wouldn't call any mega corporation good or honest. They're out there to keep the shareholders happy while seeing how mediocre of a product they can give you and how much they can charge for it before you say enough is enough. Verizon found out that a 50% rate hike from what we were paying was enough for me to switch. They were charging us $20 a month for their "fast" DSL (slowest speed, 768Kbps) and we considered ourselves grandfathered in. Wrong. They bumped it to $30 one month.

I've looked into other options for just about everything here. Unfortunately besides Verizon or satellite nobody else offers service here that's decent enough for a price that's "cheap" enough for my liking. The ones you mentioned don't have the majority of the channels I watch most though. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Understandable put when multiple customers experience the same issue without notification or well within the contract period it is indeed price gauging. I'll personally be in contact with people as well and I'm showing screens shots of all the posts they've been deleting regarding it
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I don't doubt that they're deleting the hate messages. The thing is it doesn't solve the problems. They're also under the impression that they've got us under their thumbs, with no where to go. They seem to forget that they aren't the only game in town. Once the contract is over, I'm going to Verizon for internet service and Boomba for "cable" stations. I already have the Amazon Firestick, so I can finally cut cable cord. Comcast is big business, and they will get away with jerking customers around. The best thing we can do as customers is spread the word to anyone that will listen, and when they start losing money, maybe they'll start paying attention. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Absolutley price gouging! I just posted my experience recently on this forum. My payments went from $45/mo to now $100/mo for the same basic basic basic internet service. One person type of internet service. And they bumped it up to $100/mo. I messaged the VP of Sales on LinkedIN as well as several others! Can't wait to read their message, if they even respond.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Don't hold your breath. <Edited> As far as dealing with Comcast, your best bet, if you can, is to find someone else to get service with. I plan on having Verizon in my house the day before my contract is over, possibly to just get internet, then get one of the new streaming services (Sling, YouTube TV, Boomba). You'll have more control over what stations you can get, and you're not stuck in a long contract. 

Highlighted
New Poster

^^^ That sounds like a good plan! I will also check out Verizon, and also those other mini deals with Sling or Youtbe.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hi @BG1957 and others affected by increases, 

Thanks for posting to the Xfinity Forums. We would never intentionally raise prices, especially during a time like this. We currently have steps in place and are trying to do all that we can to assist customers during this time, as we understand how it is affecting so many of our communities. It sounds like you may have had a promo roll off of your current agreement that caused your rate to increase. I'd be happy to help review your charges and help find other offers that may help lower your rate. To assist you, please send a private message with your first and last name. To send a private message, click on "ComcastChe" and then click "send a message."  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@ComcastChe I have tried sending a direct message but there is no link to do so when visiting your page. I have cleared by cache and cookies, have tried Chrome and IE, and am on a laptop. Nothing is working to get the message button to show up to message you directly. Is it possible for you to direct message me instead? My bill went up by $30 this month, likely due to end of contract, and I would like to discuss options that could help take it back down. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

Sorry @Brockes for the confusion, you must first create a public post in order to send any moderator a private message. Please try now. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@ComcastChe That worked, thank you! I have sent you a private message. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Thank you for your response, it was the end of my promo but the reason I was angry is that I had called in a week earlier and the Comcast person had no answers for me except that I should call in a day before which was the day my bill went up 15%. 

It has been taken care of.

Highlighted
Official Employee

You're welcome @BG1957. I'm happy you were able to get it taken care of. Unless there were no promotions available at that time that would have lowered your rate, you shouldn't have to wait. You can make changes to your package at any time. In the future, just create a new public post letting us know you'd like to explore new package options and we can help you out. Thanks for being a loyal Comcast customer. Take care!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@ComcastChe wrote:

Hi @BG1957 and others affected by increases, 

Thanks for posting to the Xfinity Forums. We would never intentionally raise prices, especially during a time like this. We currently have steps in place and are trying to do all that we can to assist customers during this time, as we understand how it is affecting so many of our communities. It sounds like you may have had a promo roll off of your current agreement that caused your rate to increase. I'd be happy to help review your charges and help find other offers that may help lower your rate. To assist you, please send a private message with your first and last name. To send a private message, click on "ComcastChe" and then click "send a message."  

@ComcastChe What about promising a customer they'll be receiving all the channels they currently are with their channel lineup, only to change it to 'oh sorry that channel has some of the same shows as other ones you get, so you don't get it anymore'? Because that's what happened to me when I agreed to a new package within the last couple of days. As I stated in the thread I created about my dissatisfaction with this lost channel (WGN America) I feel that I was lied to as I asked NUMEROUS times if I would have the exact same channels I have now. I'd rather have 100 channels showing the same exact non sports content than being saddled with 20 or so sports channels I'll never watch.

Not only that but having just checked billing I guess the changes didn't go through as I STILL see the nearly $190 bill (for the 5-6 channels we actually watch). Going internet only and getting our TV content from other providers is looking more and more palatable at this point.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately, for me, there is only one package available, so there's nothing I can do. I sent a complaint about the rise in costs and the loss of stations to the BBB. 

"When I called to see if it was worth it to switch from Verizon to Comcast, they told me I would have to take a two year contract, but that would guarantee my price and it would include HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, The Movie Channel and Starz/Encore. You’ve since taken Cinemax, Starz/Encore. I was given a channel list, which included Turner Classic Movies, which you have taken and added to a SPORTS package, that would cost extra, plus I now have to pay another $4 to keep Starz/Encore. As far as the new channels you provided as a substitute has the bottom of the barrel selection of movies. You’ve also raised the prices on “regional” channels AND “regional sports”. I wish the cable companies would take into account that not everyone likes sports. As I have said before, I’m disabled, stuck on a couch most of the day due to pain. All I have is the laptop and the television.

As far as I’m concerned, Comcast didn’t live up to their promises. Greed wins again. Take away stations, substitute it with garbage, and raise the costs. I promise that when this contract is over, I will be changing back to Verizon. At least they didn’t lie to me, or raise prices. In other words, they were honest and kept their end of the deal. "

The reply from 

Maria Fe Tarallo -Executive Customer Relations

"In regards with your concern with the equipment rental fee increased. Effective December 20, 2019, Comcast implemented a rate change in your area in which some charges and fees, including the fee for TV box and remote increased from $2.68 to $5.00 monthly, modem rental fee increased from $13.00 to $14.00 monthly, Broadcast TV Fee increased from $6.75 to $12.00 monthly, and Regional Sports fee increased from $8.25 to $8.75 monthly. You were notified of these changes in your December 12,  2019 billing statement; however, the new rates did not reflect until the January 12, 2020 billing statement. Equipment, taxes, fees, and other charges, including Broadcast TV Fee and Regional Sports Fee, are subject to change during the promotion or term agreement."

In other words, they can and will raise prices, take away stations, and make you pay extra for stations that were supposed to be free (I now have to pay $4 for Starz until June when it goes up to $12) with my contract.  And, apparently it's okay for them to do it, because they warned us a month before, that they were going to to do it. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@reibertpa wrote:

In other words, they can and will raise prices, take away stations, and make you pay extra for stations that were supposed to be free (I now have to pay $4 for Starz until June when it goes up to $12) with my contract.  And, apparently it's okay for them to do it, because they warned us a month before, that they were going to to do it. 

@reibertpa In my area (northeastern corner of PA) they know they're just about the only game in town for decent high speed internet. It's either them or Verizon and that company tried charging us an obscene amount($30 a month) for what amounted to barely better than dial-up 'speed' with any higher tiers being even more ridiculously priced. There is satellite internet but that has caps and throttling if you go over those caps.

Unfortunately these guys are the only cable company in my area, with the only competing company 5-10 miles away in another county. That company doesn't have any kind of equipment or lines set up up here at all. Otherwise I'd play the company shuffle every couple years if I didn't like the 'deals' one or the other provides.

As for the channels you lost, sometimes when you get a 'deal' from companies you get X, Y and/or Z channel included for half of the contract and then are paying out of pocket if you still want them after that. Like for example we had HBO under one of these two year deals for ONE year of the two and then it was gone unless we paid $X more per month.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Yes, they don't actually "raise" prices, but all their promotions in effect are expiring.

For example, I have Blast! internet service. Up until recently, Blast! pricing was $49.99/mo promotional pricing, $59.99/mo. regular pricing (which is what I paid). Oddly enough, what they claimed was a promotion has expired. Now they are showing higher promotional prices, and as usual, they won't show the non-promotional price. You cannot see or change your plan via their website, only by calling in. On the phone, I have been told they have NO promotional pricing available, but I can continue to receive Blast! internet at $70/month. No, it may technically not be price gouging under the law, but it's a clear example of Comcast's bullying tactics and taking advantage of their customers. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

My contract isn't even a year old, and I have a two year contract. I was told that the stations would be free for the extent of the contract. I have to put up with them for another 14 months. They lied to me to get the contract, and since nothing is in writing, they can jerk me around all they want, especially now since there are bigger issues for the government to deal with right now. Thankfully, I have the FireStick and they charge less for the pay movie stations. Unfortunately, since Comcast doesn't offer TCM, I can't watch that on the stick. Between Facebook, yelp, and Nextdoor.com, I've been spreading the word about their underhanded practices, so hopefully they're going to pay for treating their customers like garbage. That's the only language some of them understand. Once they start losing money and customers, they'll get the message. 

Highlighted
Official Employee

Thanks for allowing me to help find a new promo @lherrou. For others in need of assistance, please create your own public post and my team can help! Thanks.