Community Forum

No notice of bill increase

Frequent Visitor

No notice of bill increase

Being the holidays, I did not notice that I did not receive an email alerting me my bill was ready, therefore I did not realize there was an increase in the modem rental and TV/sports fee which resulted in an increase in the taxes, totaling almost $8/month.  

I had an agreement for two years for a specified amount - one year left.  

Comcast changed that agreement without notice, am I allowed to do the same?

Problem Solver

Re: No notice of bill increase

I think you need to go back and read the agreement you signed.  It should be available on the MyXfinity.com web site.  There probably is wording that states there may be changes in some charges.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
Expert

@SammieT wrote:

Being the holidays, I did not notice that I did not receive an email alerting me my bill was ready, therefore I did not realize there was an increase in the modem rental and TV/sports fee which resulted in an increase in the taxes, totaling almost $8/month.  

I had an agreement for two years for a specified amount - one year left.  

Comcast changed that agreement without notice, am I allowed to do the same?

Your bundle remained the same, but equipment fees, taxes, and surcharges all can change.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Really?  People actually read that fine print on all of the sites that require such agreements?  I guess it's worth the extra monthly charge not to have to do so.

Expert

@SammieT wrote:

Really?  People actually read that fine print on all of the sites that require such agreements?  I guess it's worth the extra monthly charge not to have to do so.

Increases are noted on your bill.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

This is at least the second time that Comcast has raised equipment charges with absolutely no notice. Seems to be a regular business practice to take advantage of customers. I understand the loophole in the agreement that allows them to do this, but not giving customers a heads up is completely unacceptable. More customers are going to switch or cut the cord based on this complete insensitivity to customers

Problem Solver

Purchasing your own modem is one way of avoiding rental charge increases.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
New Poster

Same happened to me.  This is why I will not renew with Xfinity/Comcast.  Same equpment I have had for 6 months, but now it costs more?  Give me a break!  Just a moneymaking scheme.  They just lost a customer, cannot wait for my contract to be over.

Expert

@upsetcustomer14 wrote:

This is at least the second time that Comcast has raised equipment charges with absolutely no notice. Seems to be a regular business practice to take advantage of customers. I understand the loophole in the agreement that allows them to do this, but not giving customers a heads up is completely unacceptable. More customers are going to switch or cut the cord based on this complete insensitivity to customers

All increases in fees are noted on your billing statement.  Reading your bill each month will help remove surprises.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I know how to read a statement and even compared two of them to discover where the increases are!  To never receive an email to make you aware of the increase, don't remember to check your bill because life gets in the way and then notice an increase when it was automatically paid is simply shady. 

New Poster

Would you recommend any modem which will compatible for 600 Mbps internet speed?
Expert

@SammieT wrote:

Yes, I know how to read a statement and even compared two of them to discover where the increases are!  To never receive an email to make you aware of the increase, don't remember to check your bill because life gets in the way and then notice an increase when it was automatically paid is simply shady. 

It's your responsibility to your your monthly statement, autopaid or not.

New Poster

I am aware of the contract and what they can and cannot increase throughout the duration of the contract. But I find it inexcusable and downright offensive when they raise a broadcast fee by nearly double overnight. Especially since this broadcast fee is not at all mandated federally. This increase is done by the company, and the company alone. If it were up to me I’d still have internet only service as I had for the past 5 years before my fiancé and I moved in together and she still watches cable. She came to me and asked why our bill went up $10 this month. Since we go paperless and they conveniently chose to not send a separate email to customers regarding these increases, it wasn’t until I looked at my online statement and saw these increases to take effect. The whole reason people go paperless is not going only to help the environment, but also the convenience of being able to simply pay the bill online. I’m sure I’m like most people in the regard that I have no reason to even inspect the statement unless there’s a discrepancy. Of course. By the time the discrepancy is noticed and you check the invoice, the damage has already been done. It’s just another slimey greasball tactic that slimey greaseball companies get away with every single day. In a paperless world, it takes 10 minutes for a company official to construct a letter regarding pertinent information that a contracted customer should be made aware of. And any company official would either be lying to us and insulting our intelligence if they claimed that paperless customers actually inspect these bills online if there is no change that warrants such an inspection. Simply put, if they are implementing any changes to an already agreed upon contract, and they choose to announce these changes on the customers bill invoice. They should take into account the customers that receive their bills paperless, and they should send a separate email paperlessly to these customers explaining these changes. Knowing full well the practices and tendencies of paperless customers. Also, if they want to include a fee to end our contract early as stated in our agreement, then they should also allow us the option to opt out of this contract without being penalized if they so choose to increase such self serving items like broadcast fees and equipment rental. You did nothing to improve my service that warrants an increase in price. In fact, since I’ve added the Cable option 7 months ago I’ve had nothing but issues with the modem resetting itself multiple times a week, resulting in my service being interrupted for as little as 10 minutes, upwards to over an hour when these resets occur. I don’t watch the cable myself, but I do have to listen to issues my fiancé is having with her cable and that ridiculous box on a daily basis. So, just exactly how can you justify these self serving, profit increasing increases to our bills; when your service has actually declined during this time, and I’m the one having to do the troubleshooting and maintenance on your devices? In all actuality, I should be billing you for the time and inconvenience. Rather than you increasing prices for an increasingly shotty service. Congratulations on losing another customer.
Frequent Visitor

A contract is a contract, A contract is a contract, they illegally broke it so if you quit their should be no penalties, Comcast answers to their stock holders, and not to the people who made them big, same thing with Large Corp. Ceo's make 500 times the hourly wage of their employees, a disgusted, 75 year Old Sempre Fi,  Veteran Marine, take take take, rich get richer, and poor get poorer, there's just so many pieces of the pie, and our piece keeps getting smaller, things weren't like that, 50 60 years ago, need more regulations and for Google and Space X, to send, thousands more statlites up for internet covage. Its coming and corp: like Comcast will go the way of Blockbuster, AOL, wish the gov. would step in and break them up, but they have too many loobists? etc

Frequent Visitor

Don't forget all the thousands of advertizing we are forced to watch, and the large monetary rewards they recieve, they should pay us to use their service !

Frequent Visitor

Wow, Again, thanks for letting me know what my responsibilities are because I sure wouldn't have known without your help.  Empathetic much?