Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

New plan with Netflix but no X! box: How to start Netflix and watch it on the computer

Frequent Visitor

New plan with Netflix but no X! box: How to start Netflix and watch it on the computer

I have been a customer for many years.  I have a new plan that includes Netflix.  (I don't have an X1 box and don't want one because I hate the X1 reminders and On Demand menus, but like the old ones.)  I want to watch Netflix on my computer using my Comcast Internet (and cast it to the TV with Chromecast).  How do I connect initially to Netflix without an X1 box using the computer, and how can I watch Netflix programming on the computer monitor?

Regular Visitor

Re: New plan with Netflix but no X! box: How to start Netflix and watch it on the computer

I have the same problem.  I was sold the new plan saying I'd get Netflix, although he knew I didn't have an X! box.  Multiple calls to Comcast suggest that it's not possible to link the accounts without the box.

Frequent Visitor

Re: New plan with Netflix but no X! box: How to start Netflix and watch it on the computer

To sofedup:  My name also could be sofedup.  Thank you for that information.  I have just tweeted a link to this page to @comcastcares, even though it seems unlikely that they will have a different answer.  

Frequent Visitor

To Comcast:  What if I borrow an X1 box for a couple of hours just for the purpose of signing up for Netflix (or, alternatively, what if I go to the Comcast center in Rockville, Maryland, just to do the signup)?  Would I then be able to watch Netflix on my computer?

Official Employee

Hi @lindaihutchison

Unfortunately, you won't be able to borrow an X1 box. It wouldn't work since it wouldn't be registered to your account. 

As for logging into your Netflix from your computer, if you do have a plan that allows you do to so, you can use the email address and password that you registered your Netflix account with to log in.

I just tested it and was able to see everything that I would on a TV. 

Frequent Visitor

I have not registered my Netflix account because when I try to do so Netflix thinks I am signing up for a new account that I will pay for outside of Comcast, and offers me a free 30(?)-day account.  It does not recognize that I have an account through Comcast and that I am just trying to connect it to Netflix.  Can you give me step-by-step instructions?  

Official Employee

Launch the Netflix app on your X1 TV Box, then follow the prompts to either link your existing Netflix account to your Xfinity package or create a new Netflix account to be linked to your Xfinity package.

Note: If you link an existing Netflix account, your method of payment for that Netflix account will transition to Comcast and you will no longer be charged a separate fee by Netflix.

Frequent Visitor

Re: New plan with Netflix but no X1 box: How to start Netflix and watch it on the computer

I did not previously have a Netflix account, so I do not already have a Netflix user name and password.  My Netflix is entirely through Comcast.  On June 26, AV at ComcastCares on Twitter wrote, " You, however, have a secondary box with X1 functions, If you get an X1 remote, you would be able to sign up using the X1 system and would not need to use a streaming feature on that TV only on the main Motorola box."   (I do not understand the "and would not...." part of that sentence.)  I have a black remote control for my non-X1 box -- given to me by a technician who was here for another reason -- that has an Xfinity button.  (My old silver control also works with the box).  I pressed that button and then Menus and looked through all of the menus but did not find any mention of Netflix.  If I borrow a friend's X1 remote control and use it with the non-X1 box, will I get different things in the menus, including Netflix?   

Official Employee

Re: New plan with Netflix but no X1 box: How to start Netflix and watch it on the computer

Hi @lindaihutchison, you would need to upgrade to an X1 box in order to access Netflix. Using only and X1 remote won't give you access.