Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

My 2018 bill etc

New Poster

My 2018 bill etc

I just got my bill yesterday and see it is $10 more than usual. Why?? I’m not really happy. Also my wife is upset that when she watches an “on demand” series that they don’t always start at episode 1. She says the series she is watching starts at episode 7. Why is this? Lastly this has always been a thorn in my side. I pay for cable. I pay for “on demand” why oh why must I sit through commercials?!?! It really bothers me that I cannot fast forward through them
Expert

Re: My 2018 bill etc

wrote:
I just got my bill yesterday and see it is $10 more than usual. Why?? I’m not really happy.

Also my wife is upset that when she watches an “on demand” series that they don’t always start at episode 1. She says the series she is watching starts at episode 7. Why is this?
Episodes usually have an expiration date.  

Lastly this has always been a thorn in my side. I pay for cable. I pay for “on demand” why oh why must I sit through commercials?!?! It really bothers me that I cannot fast forward through them.

Once upon a time, oh so many years ago, cable was free.  That was in the era when there was a very small selection of networks.  Now, like with newspaper and magazine advertisements, in order to keep the cost of cable down there are commercials.  But, those commercials pay for a lot more than just keeping the cost of cable distribution down, however.  The income generated from them pay for salaries, equipment, buildings, transmission, and the cost that networks pay for the shows you see.  Those shows are conceived and developed by writers and producers who hire actors to make a pilot that is then "hawked" to the networks who either accept or turn down the project; either way, someone has to be paid for their time and efforts.  If a show is bought and becomes successful, then you have actor salaries that have to be negotiated and paid.  Take for instance Ellen Pompeo in "Grey's Anatomy".  Her salary was just negotiated at $20 million a year, making her the highest paid actress in television; she has to be paid somehow.  In the shows as a result, oftentimes commercials become more frequent, more costly, product prices at the stores rise, and so on.  Your small "contribution" goes to pay for the commercials that end up providing you the shows you watch through your provider.  And, on top of all of this, your provider has to negotiate with the networks to carry their programming so they have to pay the networks.  That's all in distribution rights.

So, whether you're watching the network programming directly or via On Demand, those commercials are mighty important, even if annoying.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.