Community Forum

Lied to and deceived about ETF

Frequent Visitor

Lied to and deceived about ETF

I was told by the Comcast rep, or one of their partners, that they can wave their early termination fee if I had to relocate for my job. This was actually talked about on a few occasions, between 2016 and 2017.

This is the only reason I signed up for the new package, or I would not have signed up. When I moved I provided the rep my new address and told him the situation and what the reps had told in previous conversations. He said it would be addressed and that if I was told that I would not have to pay the termination fees. I never got an answer or a bill until I was contacted by a collections agency.

At this point I filed a written dispute and was not informed of the decision. I again filed a dispute with another rep in November 2018 when I noticed it on my credit report. I did not hear back until February 2019. When I talked to the collections rep he could not provide me with an information on the results of my dispute except Comcast verified them.

I feel Comcast committed fraud in trying to upsell me knowing my situation. I paid the portion of my bill that was related to the actual service used but feel I should not be held accountable for being deceived in order for the rep to make a sale. This seems to happen a lot from the research I have done.

Even though I guess it is not "wrong" for the sales rep to do whatever they can to make the sale, it is very unethical.

Expert

Re: Lied to and deceived about ETF

@vizion316 wrote:

I was told by the Comcast rep, or one of their partners, that they can wave their early termination fee if I had to relocate for my job. This was actually talked about on a few occasions, between 2016 and 2017.

This is the only reason I signed up for the new package, or I would not have signed up. When I moved I provided the rep my new address and told him the situation and what the reps had told in previous conversations. He said it would be addressed and that if I was told that I would not have to pay the termination fees. I never got an answer or a bill until I was contacted by a collections agency.

At this point I filed a written dispute and was not informed of the decision. I again filed a dispute with another rep in November 2018 when I noticed it on my credit report. I did not hear back until February 2019. When I talked to the collections rep he could not provide me with an information on the results of my dispute except Comcast verified them.

I feel Comcast committed fraud in trying to upsell me knowing my situation. I paid the portion of my bill that was related to the actual service used but feel I should not be held accountable for being deceived in order for the rep to make a sale. This seems to happen a lot from the research I have done.

Even though I guess it is not "wrong" for the sales rep to do whatever they can to make the sale, it is very unethical.

Early Termination Fees are discussed in your contract.  CSR's have no control over whether you're charged or not.

Information on ETF's.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Easy way to avoid misunderstanding and such issues, is to always read the agreement and go by that.  If information that is shared outside the agreement exists, one has a choice to either sign the agreement or not do so until some type of exception or waiver to the agreement is received in writing.  

Frequent Visitor

You are missing the point. It is wrong for a sales rep to lie to someone to make a sale. Maybe they are coached that. I don’t know but this happens all the time. Easy way to avoid this is to stop having the reps lie. Set in stone in their script that under no circumstances and no matter what the rep told you if you break the contract you will be charged. That’s NOT in that link you provided. It does not state that a rep has no authority to authorize that. So I still standby my post. It’s fraudulent to be told that they can be waved for that purpose. It’s a joke at how horrible the reps are. That they can get away with it and the person that was fraudulently disceived has to pay fees that they were told could be waved. All to make a sale. If I sold someone a service and under my stated agreement it said if you cancel the service you will lose your deposit and tell someone oh we can wave it if something comes up. Then something comes up and I don’t wave it, it would be wrong. Imagine that being you and how that would make you feel.
Regular Contributor

If you are in the military and you’re being moved, a PCS, I don’t think they can charge that fee. You would need to produce orders. I know of no other instance that any company, landlord, etc may waive that. But call customer care and discuss it with them. 

Frequent Visitor

I’m guessing that no one is understanding my point. The heart of the matter is that the sales reps hired by a multi billion dollar company are lying to make sales. Doing something they are not supposed to to get a commission which in turn makes said company more money. It does not state in their ETF policy that it is 100% set in stone and it cannot be waived except for the outlined exemptions. Even then the sale should not be processed until a terms and conditions is accepted electronically or mail. And it needs to state under no other circumstances except outlined in policy will the fee be waived. But companies won’t do this because it will make their up sales go down. So much easier to lie to someone and get them to say yes over the phone.
Frequent Visitor

I guess it is not a concern by Comcast to take these forums or customers seriously. It does not matter to them that their employees lie for them to make sales. I expected maybe a little bit more relevant conversation. Maybe something like taking responsibility for reps lying to make sales. Only responses I see from Comcast is when it is about selling more services. What good is a forum that does not take complaints like this serious? When an “expert” sends the same generic message to an EFT policy when the complaint is about being lied to by a sales rep? I guess I’ll have to take a different approach and course of action. I will certainly never be a customer again, nor would I ever tell anyone to order this horrible service. According to ANSI the CSR rating is 57 out of 100. One of the lowest out of any TV providers. Just bad.....
Highlighted
Expert

@vizion316 wrote:
I guess it is not a concern by Comcast to take these forums or customers seriously. It does not matter to them that their employees lie for them to make sales. I expected maybe a little bit more relevant conversation. Maybe something like taking responsibility for reps lying to make sales. Only responses I see from Comcast is when it is about selling more services. What good is a forum that does not take complaints like this serious? When an “expert” sends the same generic message to an EFT policy when the complaint is about being lied to by a sales rep? I guess I’ll have to take a different approach and course of action. I will certainly never be a customer again, nor would I ever tell anyone to order this horrible service. According to ANSI the CSR rating is 57 out of 100. One of the lowest out of any TV providers. Just bad.....

Did an Official Employee on this Forum lie to you, or was it a CSR phone rep?  The OE's here all work in the Executive Office.  The Experts are all customers like yourself.  We can't control the (mis)information the phone reps give out, but we can give you the correct information.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

What good is the correct information when a person is purposely deceived for the purpose of making a sale? You can tell me the correct information, but it does not solve the issue. What that rep did is wrong. I don’t feel someone who is deceived should be held accountable for believing what paid employees for a major company are lying about to make sales or commissions. This has everything to do with the executive branch because all the directives and policies should be coming from corporate. The reps that are lying to customers make the company look bad. Their work is the reflection everyone from the outside sees. When they lie and con people into getting things they should not, it does not reflect on them personally. It reflects on the company. And that drives the CS ratings down. And I know this is not the only company that this happens too. It’s why these ratings across the board are low. It’s why a company with a 63% rating can advertise they have the best rating. Even though to me that’s not a good number either. And it really is not that hard to fix. Time consuming yes. Will it cost money to change, yes. But in turn once everything is done and the rating is higher and reviews start being more positive than negative, revenue will go up and pay that initial cost back 10 fold.
Official Employee

vizion316, thank you for reaching out here on the forums. 

I am sorry to hear about the experience that you had, it is always our intention to be as transparent as possible and I'm sorry to hear that we dropped the ball. Early Termination Fees are outlined in our terms of service and are unable to be waived if a customer moves outside of the serviceable area. However, I would be more than happy to submit your feedback regarding this experience. Please feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name to get started. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.