Community Forum

Internet Essentials for Seniors

Frequent Visitor

Internet Essentials for Seniors

I am a senior citizen who lives on a very small budget. My contract is up next month + will have to terminate my service if there is ANY increase. While here today I came across the Senior Internet Essentials program but I don't see it listed as being in my area. Why is it limited only to large cities? Wondering if the available area has expanded yet to my area in Virginia ? Being able to get the savings would be fantastic + allow me to have a much better life! Thanks.

Expert

Re: Internet Essentials for Seniors

@see2 wrote:

I am a senior citizen who lives on a very small budget. My contract is up next month + will have to terminate my service if there is ANY increase. While here today I came across the Senior Internet Essentials program but I don't see it listed as being in my area. Why is it limited only to large cities? Wondering if the available area has expanded yet to my area in Virginia ? Being able to get the savings would be fantastic + allow me to have a much better life! Thanks.

Even if you qualified, there is this disclaimer:

Must live in an area where Comcast Internet service is available but not have subscribed to it within the last 90 days. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I do not run a online business, my internet is only for research + enjoyment so I have no problem shutting off service for 3 mos as I plan to move this year anyway.  Is there a US map showing where the Internet Essentials for Seniors are?

Gold Problem Solver

@see2 wrote: ... Is there a US map showing where the Internet Essentials for Seniors are?

No map, but https://internetessentials.com/Seniors says:

This Senior pilot is being offered on a trial basis in Atlanta, Georgia; Boston, Massachusetts; Detroit, Michigan; Fresno County, California; Hartford, Connecticut; Houston, Texas; Miami-Dade County, Florida; Palm Beach County, Florida; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; San Francisco, California; Santa Clara County, California; and Seattle, Washington.

Eligible Individuals:

1. Must be 62 years or older.
  2. Must live in one of the current eligible areas. View the list above.
  3. Must receive federal or state public assistance specific to the area where they reside. See list of eligible areas above for details.
  4. Must not have outstanding debt to Comcast that is less than a year old. Individuals with outstanding debt more than one year old may still be eligible.
  5. Must live in an area where Comcast Internet service is available but not have subscribed to it within the last 90 days.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for replying, but I did read those city listings, however I won't be moving to any of those cities(ever look at the price of rentals in those cities? Yikes!). Therfore I thought it would be prudent to ask before I signed any new contract to see if the Essentials program had started in other places; hopefully it will go nationwide!

Official Employee

see2, thanks for reaching out on the forums! Although it doesn't look like the Internet Essentials Program for Seniors is available in your area or the area you're planning on moving to, I would be happy to look at options to lower your monthly bill. Please feel free to send over a Private Message with your first and last name to get started. 

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!