Community Forum

Incorrect charges for a premium channel

New Poster

Incorrect charges for a premium channel

My wife and I decided to downgrade to just internet service as we do not use the tv service very often.  In the course of this I discovered we had been charged for a premium channel for over a year.  I called in to both downgrade the service and address the issue with the billing.  After being offeredan HBO promotion as compensation (which I won't use since I'm getting rid of TV) I was told they would only reimburse three months of the service as this was their policy.  I asked who approved the change to my account and was told it was a phone call in by me.  The channel was some sort of Yoga channel and I don't do yoga so the likelihood of me authorizing this was zero.

After being told Icould not get the charges refunded I asked to speak to a manager.  I was again told about the three month policy.  I argued that they had made a mistake and that I should not have to pay over a hundred dollars over the course of over a year for their mistake.  This prompted him to check my account again, at which time I was told that it had been done via the cable box.  I use a pin on my cable box to prevent my children from ordering things so this is also highly unlikely.  Moreover one of them is lying to me about where  the actual charges came from.  I suspect that the supervisor lied because he then proceeded to argue that I should have checked my bills online to verify and essentially blamed me for Comcast screwing up my bill.

After my wife got home she let me know that she HAD actually called two years ago regarding the addition to the bill and been told it was a necessary part for On Demand.  She had talked with a rep earlier in the day regarding the charges as well but hadn't had time to address any billing information.

The best part of this is its the second time we've ended up with a premium channel on our bill we haven't requested and would never order.  The first time was a channel in spanish which neither I nor my wife speak.   We were able to get that refunded.

I was told that I need to go in to the store to see if they can help me.  I'm guessing that that will be a waste of my time as well.  Is there a way to actually get a refund on these charges?  So far the response has been less than ideal.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Incorrect charges for a premium channel

@BRead2 wrote:

My wife and I decided to downgrade to just internet service as we do not use the tv service very often.  In the course of this I discovered we had been charged for a premium channel for over a year.  I called in to both downgrade the service and address the issue with the billing.  After being offeredan HBO promotion as compensation (which I won't use since I'm getting rid of TV) I was told they would only reimburse three months of the service as this was their policy.  I asked who approved the change to my account and was told it was a phone call in by me.  The channel was some sort of Yoga channel and I don't do yoga so the likelihood of me authorizing this was zero.

After being told Icould not get the charges refunded I asked to speak to a manager.  I was again told about the three month policy.  I argued that they had made a mistake and that I should not have to pay over a hundred dollars over the course of over a year for their mistake.  This prompted him to check my account again, at which time I was told that it had been done via the cable box.  I use a pin on my cable box to prevent my children from ordering things so this is also highly unlikely.  Moreover one of them is lying to me about where  the actual charges came from.  I suspect that the supervisor lied because he then proceeded to argue that I should have checked my bills online to verify and essentially blamed me for Comcast screwing up my bill.

After my wife got home she let me know that she HAD actually called two years ago regarding the addition to the bill and been told it was a necessary part for On Demand.  She had talked with a rep earlier in the day regarding the charges as well but hadn't had time to address any billing information.

The best part of this is its the second time we've ended up with a premium channel on our bill we haven't requested and would never order.  The first time was a channel in spanish which neither I nor my wife speak.   We were able to get that refunded.

I was told that I need to go in to the store to see if they can help me.  I'm guessing that that will be a waste of my time as well.  Is there a way to actually get a refund on these charges?  So far the response has been less than ideal.

It is policy that Comcast will only refund three - four months' of charges.  And they pretty much stick with that.  Since this seems like an issue that started a while back, you should also note that you have at maximum 120 days from the beginning of an erroneous charge to dispute that charge. 

As for the long term charges themselves.....it is your responsibility to review your bill monthly so that you can check for charges like this.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I would agree with that if it weren't for the fact that my wife called in after the charges had started to inquire about them just after they had been added to inquire and was told they were necessary.  I do note that in talking about two separate events the timeline in my previous note is slightly skewed.  2 years ago is the first instance of when a channel was added without my consent.  In the second case my wife called in approximately 13 months ago regarding the charge not two years.

In addition to that I was told two spearate stories about how things were approved.  Given that there was an FCC fine levied two years ago against Comcast regarding similar behavior I would suspect that they would have moved to resolve the issues they have in their billing.  That is apparently not the case though.

Official Employee

Hi @BRead2

Sorry for the experience you've been having. The information provided by @Again is correct. However, I'd be more than happy to take a deeper look into this to see if I'm able to assist you, however, if there is any compensation owed related to these incidents, I would only be able to go as far back as 3 months as well. 

Please send me a private message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name. If you aren't the account holder, I will also need their name and the phone number associated with the account.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!