Community Forum

I feel duped. "contract" is different than "agreement"

Regular Visitor

I feel duped. "contract" is different than "agreement"

Hoping to private message a Comcast representative who can help me.  This is my 4th year with Comcast.  I've always called in the autumn to lower my internet-only rate based on current promotions.  I always want lowest price option - I am not concerned with high bandwidth speeds.  My regular rate was bumped to $54.95 for a regular-priced high-speed plan back in fall 2017.  There was a promo for $49.95 at that time (October 2017) for the high speed plan, and for some reason it was cheaper to sign up for the high-speed plan rather than a lower-speed plan.  Apparently I am now in a 1-yr CONTRACT for that amount, vs. 1-yr AGREEMENTs that I'd been in for the past 3 years.  I called today to take advantage of a $29.99 promotion 1-yr AGREEMENT for 15mbps service.  I was told that I'd have to early-terminate my CONTRACT which amounts to paying the entire 12 month premium if I want to break the contract and switch to a lower-priced plan.  This is ludicrous.  I just want basic internet at a reasonable price.  I was talked into a high-speed plan under CONTRACT (who knew the word "Contract" was different than "Agreement"!!! - Agreements can be broken anytime to switch plans - contracts cannot!)   If I knew this was the case I would have stuck with the $54.99 regular non-contract price, waited till February for the promotion, and signed up.  I'd have only paid $15 more than my contract price for the past 3 months, but gained the flexibility to purchase the $29.99 price that is currently being offered.

Anyway - If someone from Comcast can contact me privately and help me lower my internet costs that would be great.  I am only interested in internet separately.  I already have TV but that is controlled by my condo association - ie., I do not want to BUNDLE anything - I do not want phone - I just want lower-cost internet - monthly, by Agreement, but no contracts.  I feel quite victimized here.... I've been switching to lower cost plans successfully for the past 3 years - apparently because I was signing up for lower priced "Agreements", and somehow got looped into a "Contract" back in the fall.  Please help. 

Expert

Re: I feel duped. "contract" is different than "agreement"

As long as you keep one service, you can upgrade or downgrade without any penalty of an early termination fee.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Regular Visitor

Thanks very much - this is not even close to what the Comcast rep told me on the phone this afternoon.  He said to switch internet plans I must first cancel my existing contract and pay full termination fee.  Possibly because I desire to switch from a CONTRACT to an AGREEMENT, not a Contract to a different Contract.  Hoping a Comcast Rep can respond here.  ??? 

Official Employee

Hi, C-A-M - My apologies for the miscommunication. As our Service Expert Again mentioned - you can downgrade/upgrade services at any time. Doesn't matter if you have an agreement or promotion. The Early Termination Fee applies only when you terminate ALL XFINITY services. I received your private message and will respond back in private with the details. 

Official Employee

C-A-M, I've applied the promotion we discussed in modmail. Please let us know if you need further assistance.