Community Forum

How did xfinity know my new debit card number???!?

New Poster

How did xfinity know my new debit card number???!?

The account I use to pay xfinity was hacked, so that debit card was cancelled. When I logged in to update my settings, my new cards last 4 digits was already there, along with the new expiration date. I do not store cards on any google profile, or anywhere on my pc. In fact I wasn't even using my normal browser, I switched to firefox log in to xfinity, because an old xfinity account (with a different login and password) is used on my usual browser, chrome. How did xfinity know what my new card number was?  Am I just being paranoid?  I searched through my payment history to double check, and no, this brand new card was never used to pay xfinity.  This is driving me crazy, I feel violated right now.

Expert

Re: How did xfinity know my new debit card number???!?

@sparky2212 wrote:

The account I use to pay xfinity was hacked, so that debit card was cancelled. When I logged in to update my settings, my new cards last 4 digits was already there, along with the new expiration date. I do not store cards on any google profile, or anywhere on my pc. In fact I wasn't even using my normal browser, I switched to firefox log in to xfinity, because an old xfinity account (with a different login and password) is used on my usual browser, chrome. How did xfinity know what my new card number was?  Am I just being paranoid?  I searched through my payment history to double check, and no, this brand new card was never used to pay xfinity.  This is driving me crazy, I feel violated right now.

It is hard to say how the last 4 digit system works. But; as you stated: "I searched through my payment history to double check, and no, this brand new card was never used to pay xfinity."

They do not have the whole debit card number you never gave it to them. How did you pay the bill since the last debit card was cancelled? It's possible the old debit card was still used to pay the bill if the cancellation had not taken effect yet.

One of the Comcast personnel here on the forum can reply and give you permission to PM them for your account information and check to see what full card number was used to pay recently. I will escalate your post for help.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

The bill payment declined a few weeks ago, and I forgot about it. I saw a missed phone call from xfinity so I figured I should log in and pay the bill. It was the first time I logged into my xfinity account since last July, when I updated my payment method due to an expired card.

This new card, which was never used to pay xfinity has been in my posession for about two weeks.  I never used it to pay a bill, in fact, I don't even think I have used it online yet.  It's really creepy. I sat there and stared at the number on the screen, and at my card in disbelief. I thought maybe I had another card with those last 4 digits, but that doesnt account for the correct expiration date. I am at a loss.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I agree that it's creepy but many card services do have a service that allows merchants to automatically get an updated card number when your cards change.

New Poster

I was not aware of this practice. I've never seen it on one of my accounts before. You have seen this before? I find it odd that Xfinity can get this information without me giving it to them.
Regular Contributor

Yes, a few years ago I had a anti-virus subscription renewed on a new card number that I hadn't given them. 

Official Employee

sparky2212, have you ever set up bill pay from your bank? When my card info update at my bank, the change rolls over to all the places I have set up via my banking app. I can check to see which card we have on file if you send me a private message with your full name. 

KenF

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!