Community Forum

Getting charged for modem I own

Frequent Visitor

Getting charged for modem I own

Hi,

I just signed up for Xfinity Internet/TV and during sign up it asked if I owned my modem or wanted to rent. I explicitly remember selecting that I own my modem and even double checked at checkout. However I received my first bill and I"m being charged $11/month for renting a modem. I don't rent a modem, I use my own that I bought myself. Any help?

Official Employee

Re: Getting charged for modem I own

Hello, Rosemary6! Welcome to the Xfinity Forums.

I can absolutely help you with this!

Please send me a private message with your first and last name so I can assist in getting your modem corrected. 

To send a private message, click my name "ComcastTambrey", then click "send a message".

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Just to update everyone-- I am still being charged a "rental fee" for a modem I own. I PM'd the comcast agent as requested and all they offered was to "look into it". Still no resolution or even a ETA from comcast. So ridicoulous.

Googling around shows that many people get falsely charged a rental fee for a modem they own, it seems like a common unethical practice by comcast.

I’ll update if/when comcast actually resolves the issue, which they havent in any way yet.
Frequent Visitor

Another update: No tangible update from comcast in any way-- I'm still being charged a "rental fee" for a modem I own. I was assured by comcast that I will be getting an update yesturday. And in true comcast fashion, their word ment nothing and no updates. This is ridiculous. Can anybody here actually resolve this obvious billing mistake?

Admin1

Rosemary6 -- I have been working with you via PM and have been providing updates to you. I had provided an update that I would be reaching out to our local inventory team yesterday. I had let you know that I would be providing a further update once I heard back from them. I had not assured you or promised you that a further update would come yesterday. I am still working with them to get this resolved. I had let you know this in our PM conversation. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

You said your "inventory team" has to yesturday to give a response. Why your inventory team needs to get involved I have no idea as I selected "customer owned" modem during sign up  3 weeks ago and used my own 5+ year old modem .  There is no question this is customer owned modem, I never signed up to lease a modem.

Stop with the vague commitments and word play, customer's expect a deadline for a resolution. When will this be resolved?

Highlighted
Admin1

Rosemary6 -- This modem is listed as a Leased modem. You're disputing that it should be an Owned modem. Our inventory team handles these requests as they verify the validity of your request. They are also the only team who can change the ownership status of a device. Their leadership team has responded back and have gotten this resolved. The ownership status is now changed and all rental charges have been removed. 

Frequent Visitor

It's truly sad that the customer had to follow-up with you guys multiple times to get the obvious billing mistake resolved. Customer don't appreciate excuses and vague commitments instead of timelines and resolutions. In addition to absolutely no apologies for all the hassle they are putting the customer through.

Comcast should look at this situation as a major customer service failure.

Admin1

Rosemary6 -- We had let you know how this process would go and that we would get back to you once we had a resolution. We know this process took longer than expected but we had not forgotten about you. I had let you know that alerts were setup to reach out to our inventory team if a certain amount of time had passed. The comments made were not vague as I had let you know which team would be handling this and why it would be that team handling it. This has now been resolved. Please let us know if anything else comes up and we'll get you taken care of.