Community Forum

Fraudulently charging “data overage” charges

New Poster

Fraudulently charging “data overage” charges

I’ve had same plan under my name for years and never went over data even when it wasn’t a capped thing. Family of 4 that are out of the house most of the time and we would use 600-800 gb MAX per month for years! Now all of a sudden after starting new plan under my husbands name we are being charged 70% additional on our bills for going over a tb of data?!?!? This is illegal and I am certain this will become a legal class action in the future. I hope it’s sooner rather than later. In the meantime Comcast, stop trying to steal from me and the countless other people. If you want to charge us for data usage then show us a receipt of the usage. You can’t just make up a number that you want to charge us, that is illegal. Where is the proof that we went over? You have none. This is so unbelievably fraudulent and such a waste of my time.
Expert

Re: Fraudulently charging “data overage” charges

@Theyarestealing wrote:
I’ve had same plan under my name for years and never went over data even when it wasn’t a capped thing. Family of 4 that are out of the house most of the time and we would use 600-800 gb MAX per month for years! Now all of a sudden after starting new plan under my husbands name we are being charged 70% additional on our bills for going over a tb of data?!?!? This is illegal and I am certain this will become a legal class action in the future. I hope it’s sooner rather than later. In the meantime Comcast, stop trying to steal from me and the countless other people. If you want to charge us for data usage then show us a receipt of the usage. You can’t just make up a number that you want to charge us, that is illegal. Where is the proof that we went over? You have none. This is so unbelievably fraudulent and such a waste of my time.

Does this new plan include a new box, like X1?  Does it include streaming?

As for the overage charges, this article might help.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Not only that, but they don't give any information on data usage for ANY of the plans. I had to find this out through my bill when it said my household had an overage of $170.00.  Even more, customer service is terrible and I feel like im constantly being directed to a dead end... Likely to change service soon, Comcast isn't looking great. 

Regular Contributor

You can set it up so Xfinity emails you when you hit certain percentages of your data limit.  In fact, I think by default, it emails at 90% and 100%, but I'm pretty sure it defaults to sending the email to your xfinity email address and some people don't use that.  However, you can set it to send emails to an address that you DO monitor and you can set up a warning at a smaller percentage so you have more time to react.

New Poster

This measurement seems quite arbitrary and a way to get you to "upgrade" to another plan. Another point of leverage for Comcast to justify increasing pricing and locking you into contracts with built-in price increases. Not a tactic that works when there are more than one competitor in the area.