Community Forum

Early termination fee moving to unserviced area

New Poster

Early termination fee moving to unserviced area

We are moving to a non-Comcast serviced area and would love to continue our service but, obviously, cannot. We have been really happy with our service and when I spoke to the rep last year about bundling the Triple Play because our rates went up, I specifically asked about this because we thought it might be a possibility that my husband's career might lead us to another city. I just called to cancel service for later this month and am being told that an early termination fee applies. Even though I was told otherwise on the phone. Notes in their system do not indicate that this discussion occurred, but I know I asked. They record these conversations. Can I require they pull this recording out for review so I can prove that I was told no ETF would be charged? I am frustrated that this is happening. I always hear about horrible Comcast customer service but I have always thought otherwise. Until now, that is. This is frustrating!!!

New Poster

Re: Early termination fee moving to unserviced area

I posted the same thing last night so it will be interesting to see if either of us get an answer.  Our move was not a voluntary one so it's not like we had an option.  I took someone else's suggestion from this forum and filed a complaint with my state's Attorney General.  I have seen several answers from others that say "tough luck", "deal with it" (paraphrasing, of course) but I don't agree with that at all.  In my opinion, if Comcast claims you have a contract and are breaching it, then so are they because they are not providing the service you're paying for (and can't provide it).  I'm wondering if I had applied for a transfer of service first and been told it wasn't available if that might have shortened this process.  

Problem Solver

I you read your contract, it clearly states that you get a discount on your package for 1 or 2 years depending on the contract. In return you must keep your service for that period of 1 or 2 years or be subject to a ETF fee. The execptions are death or military orders. Moving to an area that Comcast doesn't service is not an execption and you are subject to a ETF fee.Smiley Happy

Expert

For correct information regarding Early Termination Fees [ETFs] please read the sticky FAQ located here.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

If you'd like information about the Expert program, you can find it here.
Official Employee

Hello, Nativeoregonian. As others have mentioned, the Early Termination Fee is indeed applicable if you move to an area where Comcast does not offer service. I'd be happy to see if the call audio is available from the conversation you mentioned for me to review in regards to your Early Termination Fee dispute. Can you please provide me with the date the call took place so I can narrow down where to look for the call?

New Poster

Hi, ComcastMax! It would be great if you could track down the recording. When I spoke with Marcus in customer service, he stated the agreement was dated February 22 of last year. Sorry for the delay in my response. I appreciate your assistance!

Official Employee

Nativeoregonian, I've reviewed the notes on your account and unfortunately the audio from 02/22/16's call is not available. You can review your term agreement under the My Account tab when logged into your account at xfinity.com. Since the call audio is unavailable we will need to go by the term agreement you accepted. I apologize for the inconvenience.

New Poster

I plan to take my issue to the top, its insane to charge an early termination for a service you cannot provide me.  You are at fault as I'm actually moving to an state which you have service but have no lines running to my rural area.  Thats your problem not mine.  

Admin1

Hi alsward -- Our contracts are a two-way agreement. We agree to provide you your service at the agreed upon price for the contract duration. You agree to keep service for that contract duration. By moving and disconnecting your account, you're breaking your end of the agreement. It's also written into each contract that breaking this agreement for any reason, this would include moving to an area that we do not service, results in early termination fees. The fees would be valid for this reason. 

New Poster

I just discovered unfortunately that since the area I am moving to is not serviced by Comcast, I have  to pay an early termination fee. When I signed up, the only mention of an early termination fee was if I cancel the contract. Why does Comcast interpret my moving to an area they do not service as my cancelling the service? 

Expert

@Stacey24 wrote:

I just discovered unfortunately that since the area I am moving to is not serviced by Comcast, I have  to pay an early termination fee. When I signed up, the only mention of an early termination fee was if I cancel the contract. Why does Comcast interpret my moving to an area they do not service as my cancelling the service? 

If you're in a contract and you're moving to an area that Comcast is not in, you're effectively breaking the contract, not Comcast.  In the contract you agreed to keep the service for the term of the contract and Comcast agreed to provide service to you during that time.

I am not a Comcast employee; I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.

New Poster

Deleted

New Poster

The same thing happened to me and I will also file a complaint with the attorney general and better business bureau. Hopefully this will help consumers make a more informed decision before doing business with Comcast. 

New Poster

This is the exact same situation that I am going through.  Moved out of the state and there is no Comcast service where I moved.  I was told on the phone before setting my account up that there would not be an early termination penalty as I knew I would be moving within the next two years.  Of course I asked to hear my recording of that day and they do not have it. Yet they have a "Verbal" contract that states I have a termination fee owed. Total BS!  I refuse to pay this termination fee 

New Poster

I’m going through this right now. I specifically told the representative when I was moving, she checked my new address and said they do not offere service there. She said I’d be charged the early termination fee but that she’d go in and issue a credit since I shouldn’t have to pay because they don’t offer service. I paid my last balance which was for the 3 days in June had a zero balance then all the sudden get charged the early termination fee totally $173 something. I called back and miraculously there’s absolutely no evidence that I ever called in or any conversation about the agent crediting the fees. If I didn’t call in, how was my service turned off then? Or the prorate done for the three days in June? I was told tough luck there’s nothing they could do. I escalated the call and was told again I should have read the contract better, I demanded a US agent because I couldn’t understand the lady and she said that’s not an option and laughed and told me I had better pay it. I told her I’d blast them all over social media for their shady business practices and she hung up on me. Two days later another rep called me and was very nice, told me they should have opened a ticket to have the fee credited and he would do that. Said they’d be pulling the call to see what the original agent advised me and I never heard anything back, Saturday I get a collection call from Comcast and spoke with another agent who told me there is no way to get out of the early termination fee and if he responsible and the ticket # I had provided her was denied. I’m so ticked !! How can you straight out lie to your customers and assure them you’d credit the fee because “that’s one of the valid reasons to not be charged the early termination fee” and then do it anyway and 100% of their phone calls are recorded for quality and training purposes get someone all these phone calls regarding giving customers misinformation are suddenly not available? I’m filing a complaint with the BBB.
New Poster

It doesn’t matter: the issue is their representives lie to their customers and advise them they will go in and credit the fee because obviously it’s not our issue they don’t service the new area. Then when you dispute it they say 100% of their calls are recorded so they’ll pull the call and if misadised they’ll credit the account. Then miraculously none of these calls are able to be located so you’re responsible for the fee. They lie to their customers and don’t stand by what they tell them. That’s the issue I have.
Expert

For correct information regarding Early Termination Fees please see here.

New Poster

Resolved with Comcast after BBB posting.